Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Let's name Mog Barkley .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think Barkley is too many letters, but I'm happy with Chuck otherwise

Leave/Mowgli/Jack/Chuck. Go Team Veldt (well, our favorite ninja isn't here but we'll take what we can get)

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Name him Smog

For the party?
Stripper Moogle
Saiyan Half-Breed
Monster Toddler
God Hand

Nearing my favorite part of the game; where you'll have the freedom to go anywhere, do anything, and have enough magicite for a sizeable array of options.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

name Mog Shabadoo

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
The moogle should obviously be named Pong.

As for the party, it should obviously be Terra, Nathan, Jack, and Leave.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Terra, Mowgli, Han,

and

Swayze

Who better to represent the dancer?

Leave did you know you can hit left on the main menu to select everyone to see their equipment at once? You might have to hit left twice, I don't remember. This doesn't feel like a spoiler.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm good with Rabbi, and Terra, Jack and Mowgli can join him on an adventure

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Terra
Mowgli
Han
Mog who shall be named Madeen

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Go back in time to the 90's and just name him Pog.

I just wanted everyone to know I wore my Blackjack shirt while I was on layover in Las Vegas yesterday. It made me feel like I accomplished something.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Explosionface posted:

I just wanted everyone to know I wore my Blackjack shirt while I was on layover in Las Vegas yesterday. It made me feel like I accomplished something.

: I bet it wasn't Pummel. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Explosionface posted:

Agreeing with Pog.

I mean, default names. :colbert:

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Weeble posted:

Terra
Mowgli
Han
Mog who shall be named Madeen

Changing my name vote to Madeen. Party vote stands as before, though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gotta be Pog.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pog

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Back from cruising the Caribbean and boy are my legs tired!

Seriously- I walked five miles to retrieve my car at the port because waiting for a taxi would have taken about as long, then drove another three hours to get home. This was after waiting two additional hours to get off the ship in the first place and standing in so many lines during debarkation after a week with no internet on the boat (they even charge their employees for it so [bleep] that!). The trip was worth it, Key West and the boat were fun, but the stress of the last day... had to vent. :) I see we have an update, yeah!

- The unequip guy on the airship is my favorite NPC in the game. He can really help you if say, a certain opera-hating ninja runs off with one of your favorite Espers, or you leave a Green Beret on Mowgli and Mowgli's left behind in Narshe (you can access the Blackjack's interior from the moment the ship lands by Albrook, Leave just didn't show it off back then). The other two NPCs on board the Blackjack are also pretty cool to have around. I never turn down free healing and mobile item shops. Too bad more FF games don't have those on board the airships. :(

- LOL at the photoshopping of Bowser on Solid Snake.

- Nathan's Hawkeye weapon is awesome. Too bad you can't choose to always throw it though- that does a lot more damage and possibly only happens on critical hits.

- I like the SNES description for our new Moogle pal better too. Having him around is way better than an extra Gold Hairpin. Name at the bottom. More comments on his abilities after they're further displayed.

- Bismarck's Summons is one of the few water elemental attacks available to your party in the SNES version. I like whales btw, saw Finding Dory on the cruise and the whale in there is awesome. Phantom is my favorite of the new Espers- many times his Summons has saved my rear end from physical only enemies in this game. :) He's my second favorite Esper Summon overall. My fave should be available soon.

- Checking Bestiary confirms no new enemies in the Narshe mines. I'll do another missed monster update after the next two or three dungeons and try to include some from places we can fly to now that we have the airship but are inaccessible otherwise. Glad we didn't get too far ahead while I was away.

Call the Moogle Pog ( I like Swayze too, though maybe we should say Stiles- do we know Mog's gender?), it seems popular and safe. Party- Terra, Pog, Jack, Nathan . Catch up the half-furry, show off the new dancing machine, see if our samurai has any new sword techniques, and keep one major asskicker around just in case. I picked Nathan so his new weapon can be shown off too and we can Steal.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Party vote: Terra, Jack, Han and the Moogle is the team I always switch to at this point. Han and the Moogle due to them being new, and Terra and Jack because they've been sitting out on the sidelines since the attack on Narshe. Need to give Nathan, Leave and Remain a break for a bit.

Never bothered with Mowgli because :effort:.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Yapping Eevee is currently tallying the votes. If you don't like the results, blame him.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
And the winners are... Terra, Jack, Mowgli and out new moogle buddy, Pog. :toot:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Holy poo poo, people actually voted for something I wanted.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Yapping Eevee posted:

And the winners are... Terra, Jack, Mowgli and out new moogle buddy, Pog. :toot:

At least Mowgli can be fixed a bit with some time in the Veldt.

Jack on the other hand... :saddowns:

You know, if there was one thing that the IOS port of this game fixed a bit, it was giving the player the ability to do other things while Jack did his charge thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Avoiding spoilers, there is no way to increase the speed of the charging right? Not even magic spells? I never experimented with him enough to know.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Avoiding spoilers, there is no way to increase the speed of the charging right? Not even magic spells? I never experimented with him enough to know.

You can use late-game magic to increase it's viability, yes.

Though if you have THAT magic you've probably managed to break the game in other more convenient ways.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Yapping Eevee posted:

...Well poo poo. My bad Leave, I didn't think voting Jack now was a bad thing. Compensate by Veldt Grinding Mowgli up....?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Jack really isn't that bad, he's a little inconvenient compared to the immediate nature of a lot of the other characters but if you plan your battle commands around it then it works out alright. Besides, I think characters that go into auto commands like being beserked or Mowgli's rages still function while Jack is charging. Although I may be misremembering that part.

Either way, Jack's back.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Yeah, Jack's a fine character when it comes to stats and such but being unable to do anything while Bushido charges up is a pretty huge negative. Surprised to hear it took them until the horrid looking iOS port to finally fix that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No update today, because I'm spending the day with my family. Just like you should be doing.

Get off the loving internet! You have friends and loved ones!

...Unless they're only on the internet. Then stay on, and enjoy the holiday.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What if my family IS the internet? :(

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Leavemywife posted:

No update today, because I'm spending the day with my family. Just like you should be doing.

You're not the boss of me!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I'm quarantining myself in my room due to my desire to not pass an illness to my 92 year old great aunt, what's your excuse?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

One half of Jewish Christmas is a movie which I will watch over the internet, so I'm going to stay on for now.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

UnwiseTrout posted:

Jack really isn't that bad, he's a little inconvenient compared to the immediate nature of a lot of the other characters but if you plan your battle commands around it then it works out alright. Besides, I think characters that go into auto commands like being beserked or Mowgli's rages still function while Jack is charging. Although I may be misremembering that part.

Either way, Jack's back.

Indeed, that's another way of making Bushido more viable. Mowgli, Pog, and another auto-attacking character would be able to do their thing while Jack charges.

It's still a sub-standard way to play the game, but this is one of the easier FF's so that might not matter that much.

ParanoidLogician posted:

Yeah, Jack's a fine character when it comes to stats and such but being unable to do anything while Bushido charges up is a pretty huge negative. Surprised to hear it took them until the horrid looking iOS port to finally fix that.

Yup, pretty much one of the few good things in that sea of vomit.

Leavemywife posted:

I celebrated Christmas with most of my family yesterday and will get the other group tomorrow. Today I worked in the morning, am on call till night then I work again. :downs:

I also volunteered for this so I'm totally ok with it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 26, 2016

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Everybody should point and laugh at Leave for having the audacity to get older.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Explosionface posted:

Everybody should point and laugh at Leave for having the audacity to get older.
And for being too busy having a loving family to entertain random dorks on the internet.

Seriously though, :krakentoot:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Many happy returns, Leave! :gifttank:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was considering doing an LP of Secret of Evermore and then I see that Leave already did one! :argh:

It's fine, I'm learning more about the game as I read it anyway.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Thirty Three: Oh, Crap, Do I Remember How To Do This?

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! It's been...Oh, Christ, it's been over a month!? poo poo. I don't remember where we last left off, but gently caress it, we're going to the Sealed Gate today, so let's roll.

We're starting off in Jidoor today. I can't believe I've gone this long without writing an update.

Then again, I've been spending that time with my wife and daughter, so I don't feel bad.

There's a couple of things I want to pick up from here; two good pieces of Magicite can be snagged.

Well, one of them is exciting, but the other isn't bad, either.

...Hold on a loving minute.

I've got a thousand Gil!

gently caress you, I have that, too!

You shut your trap, you little poo poo, I'm getting the robot!

I will name him Hector, and we will ride into the sunset.

I'm not! I'll run that child over with my airship for a Roboco!

That's me!

drat right you don't. :smugdog:

We're gettin' a robot.

...I hope you and your family die in a fire.

Whatever. I didn't want the stupid robot Chocobo anyways.

I'll be praying your grandmother is eaten by the Chupacabra.

Well, we can always try again.

By simply exiting and re-entering the Auction House, we can go through another auction. There's a couple of accessories for sale here, too, but we can get those later, and without paying.

Our first new bit of Magicite is Zona Seeker.

As long as we have the money, we can pop out the top bid, and get our new magicite. The only way one of the other auction goers is going to get is if you don't have the money needed for it. If it comes up, and you don't get it, don't worry; you can come back later when you have the income necessary, and still get it. The game won't gently caress you out of a bit of magicite.

Zona Seeker offers some options to gently caress you out of magic; Osmose will steal MP and give it back to the caster, while Rasp just damages MP, reducing their total, like how attacking an enemy with reduce their HP. We all know what Shell does. While those spells are nice, look at that level up bonus. +2 Magic is loving incredible, since magic is the key to absolutely wrecking the poo poo out of your opponents in this game.

Next, we're going to grab Golem.

And there goes most of my money. :negative:

Protect is another spell that we know the function of; Stop does what the name implies, and completely freezes an enemy in place, and we have another source of Cura. The +2 Stamina isn't all that great, but Golem has some good spells. Zona Seeker is the clear winner here, but Golem ain't bad.

So, to prepare for this update, I hit the Veldt; Terra has learned an assload of new spells, while Pog has every available Dance (obtained by fighting on the various different environments we can fight in), and Mowgli has most of the Rages I can get. Jack is...Still Jack.

Jack is the weak link on this team, as he would be on basically any team. The other three, however, have more than enough rear end-kicking power to make up for it, though.

If nothing else, Jack is good at smacking stuff. And giving me time to eat a candy bar while his Bushido charges.

So, prepare for a stealth seg--

--Oh. Never mind. I've been playing games lately with stealth sections sprinkled hither and yon, so I'm expecting one around the corner any day now.

If we had come here without Terra, whoever is in the party would basically say, "Uh, let's get the gently caress out of here and grab Terra. She's probably more qualified for this than we are."

If there's nobody around, is it still considered breaking and entering?

:smith:

I'm tired of running around as Terra. You didn't see it, but my whole time on the Veldt and the forty minutes I spent in the Auction House, I did it as Terra.

Gotta get back, back to the past, Samurai Jack

This place couldn't have been that hard to find. How the gently caress did Madonna just stumble upon it?

I'll have further questions about how she made it there soon.

Liches aren't much to get excited about. With 590 HP, they don't have much staying power.

They can also cast Fira, and have a skill to inflict Confusion, which can end poorly.

Fire isn't much to worry about, though.

The Anguiform is my Rage of choice for this dungeon; it has Aqua Breath, which will hit the enemy party, deal good damage, and the biggest pain in the rear end in this dungeon is weak to it.

Trance is extremely powerful, but I cover that later in the dungeon. I think. It's been a while since I recorded.

The Lich is weak to Holy, and despite being undead, absorbs Fire. And Poison.

Water Harmony is a frequent Dance of mine in here, as it can throw out good damage.

...Jack, you do you, buddy.

The Lich is also in a class of enemy where, if you reduce its MP to 0, it'll be killed.

The Lich drops 374 EXP and 350 Gil a piece, and they'll rarely drop a Green Cherry.

This is a weapon for Nathan and Bowser; it has a 25% chance of instantly killing a target. If said target is Undead, it'll activate, but then immediately revive the son of a bitch.

In this room, we find a new weapon for Jack.

When attacking, there's a 50% chance of invoking Wind Slash, which hits all enemies and deals Wind-based damage.

That helps Jack out a bit, but it won't fix him. To fix him, we'd have to...Well, poo poo, if we could make physical attacks worth using, then he'd be great. Right now, bringing him into battle is like letting a monkey gently caress a football; he's going to try a whole lot, but not going to get much done.

In this room, the platforms will rearrange themselves, so you have to be standing on the right spot to continue.

If not, your rear end gets dunked into some lava.

Thankfully, you wash up at the stairs instead of looking like you looked into the Ark.

Random encounters are still around in here, though, but thankfully, it doesn't really interrupt the flow of moving through the room. I mean, it does, since it's a complete break in movement, but you know what I mean.

If there are enemies I could describe as filler, these guys are it.

For starters, their physical attacks are piss poor. They have a special attack to inflict Sleep, but being weak to Ice and only having 480 HP, they won't last long.

Cura is one gently caress of an upgrade from Cure, and actually equivalent to Banon's Health skill; Health is just a recolored Cura, in fact. I have to say though, it looks better blue.

This is 90% of what Jack does in battle.

If only I could spread this across the entire enemy party...

See, Jack isn't truly all that bad. He really isn't; he has skills to deal a fair amount of damage, but his problem is that he's truly most effective against single targets. His multi-target skills leave a bit to be desired; his poor magic stat doesn't help that at all, either. In essence, all of what Jack can do, everyone else can do, but better. Blitz and Tools are far superior to Bushido; Nathan has incredible speed on his side, as well as long range weapons so that he can attack from the back row without having to charge up; Trance makes Terra loving terrifying, since it doubles magic damage; Rage and Dance may take over their characters, but if you use the right one in the right situation, you're going to completely wreck whatever is in your way. Han...Uh...He has natural long range weapons, too, and Slots can throw out some impressive effects, and it's easy to game.

In essence, Jack is only terrible when compared to everyone else.

Rage is really good, by the way. I've not used it much, but Rage is incredibly powerful and not to be underestimated.

When killed, the Antares has a chance to throw out Magnitude 8. You might remember the Hill Gigas in Zozo using this skill, and how much it hurt then.

:buddy:

Still, 290 EXP and 270 Gil a piece, and if we're lucky, we'll get an Antidote from winning! :razz:

Now, this is an interesting piece of equipment, unique to Han.

It continues the Final Fantasy tradition of being able to use your Gil to damage the enemy. To determine the gil thrown, you take Han's level and multiply it by 30; the damage is figured by the amount of gil thrown, multiplied by 2, then divided by the number of targets.

I'm probably not going to use it, though. I'm opposed to pissing away money like that.

Did Madonna really have to traverse this to get to the Esper world? I think if I was lost and it was stormy, I'd see the lava and just nope my rear end on outta there.

Especially with some of these horrid motherfuckers running around.

The Zombie Dragon is weak to Fire, as well as Holy. They also have a bit of health to them, with 1,991. They can inflict Zombie, but they mostly just attack. I don't think I really need to mention this, but I know at least one person will ask, but they are undead. A phoenix down will take them out, which they also rarely drop.

Anywho, here's Jack attacking.

Oh, right, I forgot to mention, when Wind Slash activates, it replaces Jack regular attack.

Which damages the enemy party, and it's better than nothing.

However, like most threats to your person, the best way to handle this is by lighting their asses on fire.

:getin:

Each one drops 1,072 EXP and 309 Gil, so the rewards are quite nice.

Oh, treasure chest, how you taunt me.

Outcasts are loving assholes. They possess 1,100 HP, but are weak to Water and Holy. They absorb Fire and Poison, though.

They can also inflict Blind, and have an attack called Life Shaver, which really sucks.

If you damage them and don't kill them, they'll drain a character's HP for what they've lost, blasting one of your characters down to poo poo-low levels of health.

Up to this point, Water Harmony had always failed when I tried to activate it. Pog kept falling on his face instead of grooving, which I cannot tolerate or agree with.

But, I won't argue with the results when it does work.

The chest is just north of us, but there's no path on this side, either.

But here's a switch! I see no problems with hitting an unmarked switch!

...Oh, no, Jack crapped his armor.

Upon landing, it just splattered about.

This is one of those things that I'll definitely find a use for. I suppose I could give it to Jack, but I didn't just to keep his magic defense up with a shield.

I think. I don't remember much of what I do with Jack.

I'm sure someone around here will swoop in to defend Jack, and I'd love to hear it. If you have a secret strategy for making him amazing, I'd like to know it.

But this is our last room of this update.

Since it's pretty well designed as a bit of a breathing point. The enemies here aren't too bad, but encounters seem a little more frequent here, but I could just be imagining things.

I'll put out another update soonish, I think. It'll definitely be sooner than a month, I assure you.

Next time, we'll finish off this dungeon, so stay tuned!

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Leavemywife posted:

I'm sure someone around here will swoop in to defend Jack, and I'd love to hear it. If you have a secret strategy for making him amazing, I'd like to know it.

I don't know if you can. You hit the nail on the head earlier. He's only bad by comparison. By the time you can do anything amazing with him (using end-game Relic combos, for instance), you can do the same thing with anyone else and they'll have something better than Bushido to bring to the table.

Han suffers a bit from this problem, as well. He can be fun, but before long any other character can do the same thing with more consistency.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jack is a bit better in the Android port, since you can just select his special move and go ahead with other characters, instead of waiting for that drat bar to fill.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Life Shaver is actually earth elemental. So if you somehow had a counter to that, it would turn the outcasts into chumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

Update Thirty Three: Oh, Crap, Do I Remember How To Do This?

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! It's been...Oh, Christ, it's been over a month!? poo poo.

I appreciate the break Leave, gave me chance to catch up with the LP...

Though now I'm caught up so stop spending quality time with your own family and look out for us internet people you don't know :v:

• Locked thread