Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

My [36f] son [15M] threw and stomped on a xbox game he got for christmas because it was not the one he wanted. My husband wants to let it go

I think the best response to that is "sucks to suck; now you don't have any presents!"

Although at some point that's standard rear end in a top hat teenager behavior and you just have to roll with it because if you dig in your heels and go ballistic they will double down and be even more lovely.

Moral of the story is those childfree assholes are totally on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

tater_salad posted:

Wow, a cool hundred on her gifts, this guy's awesome.

My non wife is getting more than $100 spent on her.
The only time I've spent less than this is when I was in my early 20s and struggling to buy our kids poo poo and even then my wife at the time got SOMETHING to open.

Never date or marry an autist if you want things to make sense / be fair.

Yeah, I don't get it. Unless that dude was dead broke (and he isn't), there is zero reason to be a cheapskate over Christmas with his wife. They don't have kids either! I spent well over $100 on my girlfriend's gifts plus decent cash on her family too. It's just alien to me to not give good gifts to people you care about... but I guess I'm not a robotic rear end in a top hat like this girl's husband.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Although at some point that's standard rear end in a top hat teenager behavior

No way. If my 9-year-old did that it would be shocking. No teenager should be responding to gift disappointment by acting out physically.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

I think the best response to that is "sucks to suck; now you don't have any presents!"

Although at some point that's standard rear end in a top hat teenager behavior and you just have to roll with it because if you dig in your heels and go ballistic they will double down and be even more lovely.

Moral of the story is those childfree assholes are totally on to something.

That's not standard lovely teenage behavior. Sulking a bit or whining a bit -- sure -- but not tantrums. If that were my kid, he wouldn't have an XBOX 360 any more.

At that age, you can AT LEAST politely say "Thanks mom, but this wasn't the game I wanted. Can we go exchange it?" Which would totally have been an option, until he destroyed it.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Bonzo posted:

My [36f] son [15M] threw and stomped on a xbox game he got for christmas because it was not the one he wanted. My husband wants to let it go

No Mom, you idiot! I have Bloodstorm, and Bone Squad, and Bloodstorm II, stupid.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Although at some point that's standard rear end in a top hat teenager behavior

Uh no. That is not normal or standard.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

blackmet posted:

That's not standard lovely teenage behavior. Sulking a bit or whining a bit -- sure -- but not tantrums. If that were my kid, he wouldn't have an XBOX 360 any more.

At that age, you can AT LEAST politely say "Thanks mom, but this wasn't the game I wanted. Can we go exchange it?" Which would totally have been an option, until he destroyed it.

And yeah, I would slap that kid so hard across the face if that were my teenage son. I get that he's a 15 year old kid, but that is some horrid behavior over not getting the right robot video game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo posted:

I feel this is a fair reaction to getting Titanfall for christmas

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 25, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

And yeah, I would slap that kid so hard across the face if that were my teenage son.

Yes, a good way to demonstrate an appropriate reaction to being upset.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Leon Einstein posted:

It's very weird for couples not to share finances, but if they don't have the same mentality about money, it makes sense. I'm guessing the failure rate is higher in those marriages.

It works great if both parties aren't retarded about money. I pay the mortgage and our car insurance, he pays for groceries and monthly bills. I make more so I take on the more expensive piece, but if I ever lost my job we'd probably switch it up. Has worked perfect for us.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It just seems like an extra step. Are there such significant trust issues that a couple can't have a joint account and pay for things together? It would seem so weird for me to need to ask my wife to spot me for some expense because I got cleaned out that month for whatever reason.

A lot of couples that have separate finances often explain it away by pointing out a big difference in income or money management. This just seems like a red flag, like the trust and power differential between each spouse is so great they need to draw a chalk line in the ground. At best, it's just redundant.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bonzo posted:

This reminds me of the dreamcast. I was 12 and didn't really want a console but kind of wanted a playstation. Anyway, my parents got us a dreamcast around a year after it came out. I remember getting upset about it and saying the dreamcast sucked and would be dead soon. I guess it was well received by my brothers which softened the blow to my parents, but yeah I acted like an rear end in a top hat and feel bad about it to this day. :(

I was ultimately right about the dreamcast dying, but I was wrong in how I acted.

It's kind of weird reading some of these stories because by 15-16 I stopped caring much about gifts and just bought stuff I wanted.

Panfilo posted:

A lot of couples that have separate finances often explain it away by pointing out a big difference in income or money management. This just seems like a red flag, like the trust and power differential between each spouse is so great they need to draw a chalk line in the ground. At best, it's just redundant.
There are plenty of women I've dated that I would never in a million years share finances with. Heck, if I were gay I only know one or two men that I'd share finances with. And even then, being separate has lots of advantages if you have a decent amount of savings, investments, etc.

With that said, I've never been a dick about money and generally just pay for stuff and will never bring it up or expect anything in return or argue about it or let them stress over it. I'd certainly have a shared account too, and the point wouldn't be to "starve" them of money or control them in any way, but lots of people see money spend money and don't get the longterm management of it very well. Especially when they're dealing with spending small portions of a larger sum.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 25, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

jokes on you the dreamcast was a loving sweet rear end console

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I can't really see combining accounts. Keeping them separate is like dissociative fugue insurance for both of you. I'd certainly never let a longterm partner stress over "their" money or treat handing them cash as "lending", it'd be for unilateral idiocy prevention only.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Sounds like a trust issue to me.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

purple death ray posted:

jokes on you the dreamcast was a loving sweet rear end console
I had some fun with the dreamcast, that very day in fact playing that one fighting game, but the controllers wrecked my hands and there weren't that many good games.

Panfilo posted:

I'm hoping this is a really sweet pun.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 25, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You say that but I just wanna know that, if I have a psychotic break at some point, I can only spend up to half of my net worth on lawn gnomes instead of all of it. Hell, each of us depositing half of each paycheck into each account would be fine.

Edit: lol if that was a pun

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wasn't intended to be a pun but it works as one now that you mention it. And separate finances aren't going to protect you from getting financially screwed over if you're married; if your spouse gets high on bath salts and buys ten grand pianos then gets taken to collections they'll try and go after any common property (like a house). So just because the other spouse had their own checking account doesn't mean squat in that situation. As an example, my cousin and her ex husband had separate finances,which made it much easier for her ex husband to hide a drug habit that caused them to lose their condo.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Panfilo posted:

Having split finances is the difference between "You spent X dollars on [bullshit]?!? Of OUR MONEY?!" vs "You spent X dollars on [bullshit]?!? Lol have fun ya idiot"

It's the end of that most common relationship bullshit argument forever. Combining finances is the craziest idea I can imagine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Scudworth posted:

Having split finances is the difference between "You spent X dollars on [bullshit]?!? Of OUR MONEY?!" vs "You spent X dollars on [bullshit]?!? Lol have fun ya idiot"

It's the end of that most common relationship bullshit argument forever. Combining finances is the craziest idea I can imagine.

Again, if you have a partner you can't even trust to make competent financial decisions without some arbitrary hedge to protect your money, then there are bigger potential problems that separate accounts can't fix.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Separate accounts for bullshit, a shared account for shared expenses that evens out differentials in earnings.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

That's not standard teenage behavior and that's a terrible approach to parenting.

Also I just can't imagine separate finances working for my marriage. My wife and I just make sure we've cleared it with each other before we spend any money. I'm sure there's plenty of other reasons for it but keeping separate accounts to protect yourself from one another sounds like there's no trust in that marriage.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 25, 2016

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

And yeah, I would slap that kid so hard across the face if that were my teenage son. I get that he's a 15 year old kid, but that is some horrid behavior over not getting the right robot video game.

Cool, you're either a child abuser or a potential one.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
same

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

Cool, you're either a child abuser or a potential one.

quote:

I was at my GFs place yesterday helping her cook for her families Christmas lunch.. I was just watching to be fair.

She needed help with a tin opener, so I came over, turned it the right way and said "God Jess you idiot.. That's how you do it!" in a completely over the top, sarcastic, joking way.

The next part blew my mind. She started crying and telling me the reason she isn't close to her dad is because he "was verbally abusive". Her and her mum even called the cops a few times..

"You called the cops because he hit you?"

"No he'd just yell"

This 30 second exchange completely changed my mind on this girl, we'd been dating for 4 months and everything was great.

I'm extremely close to both parents, both of which hit me (when I deserved it for being a little poo poo), I couldn't imagine cutting one out of my life/calling the cops because they said mean things to me..

I can't imagine living my life with the fear of having the cops called on me because I said some mean things. Now I'm honestly considering breaking up with her..

TLDR: Want to break up with my GF because she's too soft/weak.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair that's probably the best course because no way that relationship is going to last

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

Also I just can't imagine separate finances working for my marriage. My wife and I just make sure we've cleared it with each other before we spend any money. I'm sure there's plenty of other reasons for it but keeping separate accounts to protect yourself from one another sounds like there's no trust in that marriage.

Agreed.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Honestly re: combining finances. I think it really, really comes down to the individuals. Money can make people really weird. Works for us to keep it separate and there's def not any sort of trust/power issues behind it, but that's certainly not the rule. :shrug: system works perfect for us but maybe not for others

Also lol at that guy just assuming her reaction from what was probably pretty scary stuff makes her a softie. What a WEAKLING.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
My answer to the teenage thing is to divorce your husband and leave forever so he can raise the human mistake you made together himself and see how he likes actually taking an active role with the lovely kid you helped raise together.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

She's dodging a bullet. Better to learn you boyfriend is verbally abusive at 4 months into the relationship than having him slowly chip away at your self esteem.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Doesn't tantrum teenager know you can just exchange the game for the correct one? As a kid this happened to me a couple times ; got a second copy of starcraft instead of the broodwar expansion I asked for. No big deal, exchanged it for the correct thing and let me spend the difference at the game store.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Panfilo posted:

Doesn't tantrum teenager know you can just exchange the game for the correct one? As a kid this happened to me a couple times ; got a second copy of starcraft instead of the broodwar expansion I asked for. No big deal, exchanged it for the correct thing and let me spend the difference at the game store.

If you're the kind of fifteen year old that has tantrums than no, you know nothing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Its legal to gently caress 15 year olds here

It should be legal to slap them as well

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Honestly re: combining finances. I think it really, really comes down to the individuals. Money can make people really weird. Works for us to keep it separate and there's def not any sort of trust/power issues behind it, but that's certainly not the rule. :shrug: system works perfect for us but maybe not for others
Where it gets weird for me in things like r/relationships posts is when one person has way more discretionary money than the other. Keep your own accounts if it helps you manage spending and budgeting easier, but it's bizarre to me that the wife would have to work extra shifts to afford a Christmas presents when the husband makes a good salary. When she divorces him, she's gonna get half of everything, why would you give your wife less than your ex-wife?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
We have a joint account for paying the mortgage, things for the dog, and SOMETIMES groceries. I have a set amount from each paycheck going in, he just sort of moves money in when he can. I check it once a month to make sure there's enough to cover the house payment.

I make somewhat more, so I pay car insurance for both cars, the electric bill, internet, Hulu/Netflix from my individual account.

He pays both cell phones, water, and garbage from his individual account.

Student loans, credit cards, car payments, spending cash, etc. are handled from each of our individual accounts.

It works OK for the most part.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

My wife and I just make sure we've cleared it with each other before we spend any money.

That sounds loving horrible.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

scrubs season six posted:

"Hey, I'm gonna buy Titanfall 2. That cool with you?"

"Sure. Is that the one with the giant robots?"

or

"I'm going to lunch with Lindsey just to give you a heads up."

"Okie Dokie, will you bring me something to eat when you're done?"

I don't know how I survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

scrubs season six posted: