Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MarcusSA posted:

Do you really need noise canceling IEMs? Honestly just curious if that would even be needed with ones that fit.

Not really. Just looking for an excuse to possibly treat myself to new headphones. Like I said before the $35 Sony ones I bought a few years ago still sound great and block noise well enough, but ~capitalism~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Not really. Just looking for an excuse to possibly treat myself to new headphones. Like I said before the $35 Sony ones I bought a few years ago still sound great and block noise well enough, but ~capitalism~

That's as good a reason as any and why I bought the 598c!

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

C-Euro posted:

Having noise cancellation and then also having one headphone off at work is just counterintuitive. One or the other, man.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Having noise cancellation and then also having one headphone off at work is just counterintuitive. One or the other, man.

I don't need them to be noise-cancelling at work! Or explicitly "noise-cancelling" at all, most in-ear stuff fits me snugly enough where it works out well enough. If I wasn't flying I wouldn't be considering getting any, I'm just looking for an excuse to spend money on myself and make an informed decision in the process :negative:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 20, 2016

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

tarbrush posted:

Hey everyone, first time nice headphone buyer here.

I'm moving to an apartment where bangin' choons are likely to be frowned upon. I therefore want some nice headphones to listen to music and play on the computer.

Budget - I expect to spend between £100-£200. That said, if there's something amazing just outside that, I can stretch the budget.
Source - Mostly will be plugged into an Asus Z170M-PLUS Intel Mobo, which has okayish audio outs I guess. Open to buying an amp.
Isolation Requirements - Nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not really sure. I've never bought nice headphones before. I guess bass heavy or balanced.
Past Headphones - Nicest I've had have been Sennheiser OCX 686G. Not a fan, not enough bass, not enough definition.
Preferred Music - Rock, folk, choral, indie. Mostly mp3s though, I don't have Spotify or anything like that to get access to really high quality recordings.

I assume I want open backed. Wireless would be really nice, as my main listening mode will be pootling round my apartment.

Bump? No one has any ideas?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Open backed 598? Not the 598c.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tarbrush posted:

Bump? No one has any ideas?
Philips fidelios might be good if you like bass but not at the cost of too much clarity

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
Budget - Up to 150 at most
Source - Standard USB
Isolation Requirements - No?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Sized Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral if possible, but ones that won't fall apart when the base is heavy
Past Headphones - Currently using a Razor Megalodon that's been my bread and butter for the last 5 years
Preferred Music - techno, need the whole range from the highs to the bass

I'm at a loss which is why I'm posting here and asking for help. My Megalodon is otherwise in perfect working order after five years as a pair of headphones, however it's got a mic and that's what's starting to falter. I'm hoping to get some sort of replacement that's more or less equivalent to my megalodon. I only ask that it has a mute button built into the line and not one of those fragile on boom mutes that mute when you lift the boom away. Like a Logitech.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My Stratus CB-1s came yesterday and I've spent the better part of my work day using them and drat they are pretty great for 60 something bucks. Nice crisp sound and very isolating. Very happy with this purchase.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MarcusSA posted:

My Stratus CB-1s came yesterday and I've spent the better part of my work day using them and drat they are pretty great for 60 something bucks. Nice crisp sound and very isolating. Very happy with this purchase.

I recommended them to a friend who was never really into headphones. He's been messaging me every day this week telling me how awesome and comfy they are.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I recommended them to a friend who was never really into headphones. He's been messaging me every day this week telling me how awesome and comfy they are.

Yeah thats no joke either. I've had them on for a good 4 hours and they are very very comfortable.

I've got them plugged into my MBP and they sound is great to my lovely ears. I'm listening to a song right now with some Bass and its decent Bass and not overwhelming.

Oh yeah I have my 598c's coming tonight so I'll be trying them out tomorrow as well. These were like 30 bucks cheaper though.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 21, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah thats no joke either. I've had them on for a good 4 hours and they are very very comfortable.

I've got them plugged into my MBP and they sound is great to my lovely ears. I'm listening to a song right now with some Bass and its decent Bass and not overwhelming.

Oh yeah I have my 598c's coming tonight so I'll be trying them out tomorrow as well. These were like 30 bucks cheaper though.

I'd like to see how they stack up. I got the 598c but passed on the CB-1 because I already don't have enough room for all this mid-fi.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'd like to see how they stack up. I got the 598c but passed on the CB-1 because I already don't have enough room for all this mid-fi.

Well I don't have enough room either but I couldn't resist. Hopefully I'll have some time for the 598c's tomorrow.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Budget - ~$100, can go up or down, not looking for a large investment though.
Source - Nexus 6 and occasionally Iphone 6
Isolation Requirements - I travel on planes frequently, but the original Samsung IEMs offered enough isolation. So nothing less than the free Samsung IEMs.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure. I like to be aware of bass, but don't like how heavy it frequently is.
Past Headphones - I used to have a Steelseries 5H V2 headset for my computer that I liked. I currently have some HyperX headset that is super bassy and that drowns some things out.
Preferred Music - All kinds of music, podcasts, audiobooks, conference calls.

I am looking for something to replace my Samsung IEMs that came with my galaxy s4. These will be daily used and I would like to have an inline microphone that I can take calls with. It would be cool if I could exercise with them, but I would be willing to pick up a wireless set for just that at some later point. Just give me some good beaters with a wide use range.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Budget - ~$100, can go up or down, not looking for a large investment though.
Source - Nexus 6 and occasionally Iphone 6
Isolation Requirements - I travel on planes frequently, but the original Samsung IEMs offered enough isolation. So nothing less than the free Samsung IEMs.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure. I like to be aware of bass, but don't like how heavy it frequently is.
Past Headphones - I used to have a Steelseries 5H V2 headset for my computer that I liked. I currently have some HyperX headset that is super bassy and that drowns some things out.
Preferred Music - All kinds of music, podcasts, audiobooks, conference calls.

I am looking for something to replace my Samsung IEMs that came with my galaxy s4. These will be daily used and I would like to have an inline microphone that I can take calls with. It would be cool if I could exercise with them, but I would be willing to pick up a wireless set for just that at some later point. Just give me some good beaters with a wide use range.

Shure SE215LTD
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZNFEEU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl

or these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y0F6IBG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 22, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
In case anyone is interested, Massdrop just put the AKG K7XX for orders.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?referer=UWLEPP

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

In case anyone is interested, Massdrop just put the AKG K7XX for orders.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?referer=UWLEPP

$649 MSRP? that can't be right. what cans are these based off of again

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lube banjo posted:

$649 MSRP? that can't be right. what cans are these based off of again

K712, which technically have an msrp of $700.

MSRPs are nonsense, don't pay attention to them anywhere ever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

M50x or amsr7? My last cans were es7s and I really liked how they sounded though I finally got sick of replacing the cable after 8 years.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Budget - £70
Source - mbp and desktop, monitor port on audio interface
Isolation Requirements - nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - full size
Preferred Tonal Balance - I do enjoy bass
Past Headphones - xiaomi pistons,samson sr850s
Preferred Music - multigenre, I'll also be using these to watch films and use with an amp sim and my guitar

I got an audio interface recently so I want some headphones I can use to muck around in logic and try a bit of producing as well as just using an amp sim directly if im playing at night. They will also be used for general home use - music, films and more rarely gaming.

e: from the last couple of pages i'm leaning towards the cb-1s, any reason not to get these?

Crack fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 23, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If the coupon still works I highly suggest the CB1s for what you want.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
The store doesn't ship to the UK, they're £69 on amazon but it looks like we get gouged on prices vs US anyway (598 cs are £145 vs $99 at the moment for example) so I'm not sure I'm going to see better value.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Knuc U Kinte posted:

M50x or amsr7? My last cans were es7s and I really liked how they sounded though I finally got sick of replacing the cable after 8 years.

M50x is a mid-2000's Subaru WRX with an aftermarket exhaust. Fun, loud, reliable but tiring. Everybody's owned one at some point. Some will say they regret it, but deep down they still think about that big rear end flabby bass and smile.

MSR7 is a stock BMW 3 series. A nice car for people who can't afford the M class but are getting a little older and want to sink into a leather bucket seat and relax. Plenty of power and refinement, just fancy enough to garner grudging respect from the filthy proletariat as you pass them in their civic EF hatchback and their dirty earpods.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
what's a hoverboard

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Constellation I posted:

what's a hoverboard

powerbeats

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

M50x is a mid-2000's Subaru WRX with an aftermarket exhaust. Fun, loud, reliable but tiring. Everybody's owned one at some point. Some will say they regret it, but deep down they still think about that big rear end flabby bass and smile.

MSR7 is a stock BMW 3 series. A nice car for people who can't afford the M class but are getting a little older and want to sink into a leather bucket seat and relax. Plenty of power and refinement, just fancy enough to garner grudging respect from the filthy proletariat as you pass them in their civic EF hatchback and their dirty earpods.

Good analogy. Went with the msr7s. Used them for the first time on the way to a car event haha. Buttery.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

K712, which technically have an msrp of $700.

MSRPs are nonsense, don't pay attention to them anywhere ever.
K712's are like €200 what the hell. The copy also makes it sound like they're k702 derivatives, not k712.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I'm increasingly thinking that the Status Audio CB-1 is a V-shaped headphone.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But set your expectations for that if you get one. It's an $80 headphone of course there's a catch! The Fidelio X2 is a V-shaped headphone as well, and I am told the two sound very similar, with grainy treble in the 10khz region at times.

CB-1 - http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StatusSMCB1.pdf ????
X2 - http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf V-Shaped
HD600 - http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf Neutral, for comparison

As you can see, lows and mids are great. The CB-1 has god-like low end. Slightly more than neutral--enough to be very pleasing, while still being tight, fast, well extended, and not remotely muddy. 60% of the time you won't notice it if the track doesn't call for bass, but that other 40% of the time it reminds you that it has some warmth to it. The sacrifice these headphones made to Satan to be so cheap was grainy treble. If Status Audio can hammer out the treble somehow and come back with a CB-2 that's smoother without losing detail, they will have a monster on their hands.

There you go.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The CB1s have the edge on the 598c for the lows from the few tests I ran. I love sins and I have multiple pair of their cans but the CB1s feel so much better built.

The 598cs are great for having a built in mic though.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Based on the head-fi post in the OP, I wishlisted the AKG K240s for purchase in the next couple of months. Are they still considered good for a <$100 open circumaural? I listen to a wide variety of stuff on my laptop, which is a pretty average ideapad, and I've been content with Skullcandy ones for years, both IEM and on the ear. I want around the ear ones now because both of the former types no longer play well with my ear piercings. I'd like something comfortable enough to wear for hours if I get really absorbed in something on Netflix, a good Let's Play, or whatever Spotify playlists want to devour my time.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Anyone using a "true wireless" Bluetooth headphone such as the Bragi? Reviews seem mixed for the first gen of products

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

shrike82 posted:

Anyone using a "true wireless" Bluetooth headphone such as the Bragi? Reviews seem mixed for the first gen of products

The big problem most of them have is sync'ing the music properly across both headphones. There's a cheat they use for wired wireless ones that they can't use for wireless wireless that I forget exactly but it uses data going to one to keep the other in sync iirc.

The only truly wireless headphones that I've heard don't have this issue are early reviews of airpods but the sound quality on those is the same lovely quality you get from earpods. But they're an option if you're desperate to have tampons sticking out of your ears.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Do the AKG 7XX cans need an amp? Strongly considering picking a pair up.

E: found a few reviews saying yes. Time to put this Christmas money to good use.

EE: fuggit we'll see how they sound when they get in. My laptop is pretty robust.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 25, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
K712 are so great, love mine

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nice! I was really looking forward to the Sennheiser HD 6XX because I love my HD 518s, but in the meantime why not check these out?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

NewFatMike posted:

Nice! I was really looking forward to the Sennheiser HD 6XX because I love my HD 518s, but in the meantime why not check these out?

Yeah I am reading that they benefit a lot from an amp. Currently trying to figure out which one to get. Think I'm leaning towards a Schiit Magni 2 or a JDSLabs O2. However I've also read that they do better on a tube amp and... aahhhh! Can't decide.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, I'm not trying to get neck deep into amps, but it seems like a Schiit Magni 2 will do what I need it to for whatever headphones I end up with .

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I want to get some new headphones for my computer. Here's what I'm looking for in a pair:

Budget: 40 to 50 USD
Source: PC
Isolation?: No
Type: Full-size with swivelling microphone
Preferred tonal balance: Balanced

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

The CB1s have the edge on the 598c for the lows from the few tests I ran. I love sins and I have multiple pair of their cans but the CB1s feel so much better built.

The 598cs are great for having a built in mic though.

How does treble compare? I have the 7khz and 10khz spikes toned down with eq on the CB-1s and that helps smooth them out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NewFatMike posted:

Do the AKG 7XX cans need an amp? Strongly considering picking a pair up.

E: found a few reviews saying yes. Time to put this Christmas money to good use.

EE: fuggit we'll see how they sound when they get in. My laptop is pretty robust.

Yes and no, they'll just sound kinda dull without an amp, but you can probably get them loud enough. They don't need a great amp; my FiiO E10K pushes them just fine. Your laptop may even have a built-in headphone amp that does a sufficient job.

If you've got a pair of HD600s on the way, though, those need an amp for sure. If the price tag doesn't turn you off, the Schiit products I've used were excellent and will power anything you ever buy ("the stack," pretty sure it was their base model amp & DAC combo.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 26, 2016