Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Adding two new DPS roles with no new tanks or healers will make DPS queues in Stormblood really, really awful.

Aside from that I don't think it'd be too much of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
gently caress dancer, bring on the int-based mDPS Samurai.

Also willing to accept Samurai as a melee buffing/support class.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Viera and catgirls suck.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

He's right, though, they're the one thing marring the otherwise perfect races.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So when is the second job reveal?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Probably the Frankfurt Fanfest.

The Final Fantasy Fourteen Fan Fest in Frankfurt, Fermany.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Adding two new DPS roles with no new tanks or healers will make DPS queues in Stormblood really, really awful.

That's why Blue Mages will be tanks.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
If it's Samurai it'll be a DPS.

Can't wait for my literally instant queues as all three tanks all the way to 70. :)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

kojei posted:

We know we're getting more than one and we also know we're getting less than three. I think you'll find this setup does not allow many options.

We'll get 2.5 jobs, with the .5 being Mime. The class trainer will be Gogo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

If it's only two jobs, the second will probably have to dps as well unless they want three tanks and four healers or vice versa. I'm still counting on three jobs, since didn't astrologian kind of come out of left field for HW?

I recall Yoshi pretty explicitly said after Heavensward released that they weren't doing 3 Jobs to an expansion again because they killed themselves doing it.

If they're only doing two Jobs, there's the points you raise, but another reason why it's most likely gonna be two DPS is that they have an active incentive NOT to add a tank or a healer when one of their pressing concerns in Stormblood is fixing the tank and healer imbalances they already have. Two DPS is safe, easy, and doesn't rock the boat while they get the Warrior and Scholar dilemma under control.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, definitely. With three tanks right now, warrior is clearly the best, so you want to bring one no matter what. But since you need two tanks for most fights, and the other two are roughly equal, taking either a paladin or a dark knight is still fine. Introducing a fourth tank would mean that there would be a chance that one of the four would be left out entirely.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
See I hear what you guys are saying but I can't help but think back to the Ninja rush of 2.4 and how that made DPS queuing for leveling roulette take literal hours and I don't want a repeat of that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

See I hear what you guys are saying but I can't help but think back to the Ninja rush of 2.4 and how that made DPS queuing for leveling roulette take literal hours and I don't want a repeat of that.

Avoid queues by partying with goons. There will be hundreds online pretty much 24/7 for the first week or two of the expansion.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
During the first week DPS queues are likely to be shorter for the stormblood content, as a lot of the usual dps slots will be leveling their new classes from 50 to 60 :v:

I'll take BLM to cap first again, clear out all the side quests as the dps class, then proceed to grinding dungeons as sch. It was a very enjoyable way of experiencing HW last time around (also because overworld poo poo was hp sponges even as a blm, I don't even want to imagine what it looked like as pre-broil sch).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truga posted:

During the first week DPS queues are likely to be shorter for the stormblood content, as a lot of the usual dps slots will be leveling their new classes from 50 to 60 :v:

I'll take BLM to cap first again, clear out all the side quests as the dps class, then proceed to grinding dungeons as sch. It was a very enjoyable way of experiencing HW last time around (also because overworld poo poo was hp sponges even as a blm, I don't even want to imagine what it looked like as pre-broil sch).

Uh do the over world content as SMN then?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
And waste all that sweet OW xp on a class I can just instant queue with?

Besides, SMN blows :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Been wanting to get on this and now it's on sale for a good price, is there any 'downside' to getting it on steam other than just having to buy expansions on steam too? Like no weird jank with other things? I can slap time cards on there same as otherwise and everything?

Also is Balmung still 100% impossible to get onto without doling out :20bux: ?

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 25, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Having to buy expansions on steam is the only downside.

Which might not even be a downside, where I live steam has been the cheapest way of getting this game and expansion.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Key stores like GMG usually have the non-steam version on sale for decent prices.

The other part of the steam version is that part of your subscription goes to fund GabeN's knife collection instead of supporting Yoship's t-shirt collection.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure the subscription part only happens if you pay through the steam wallet.

And yeah, I live on the balkans and I'm pretty sure it's some SE price fuckery that allows me to get ff14 cheaper on steam than other places despite being in the eurozone. I got it for less than GMG, and definitely less than other people had to pay on steam. :confuoot:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truga posted:

And waste all that sweet OW xp on a class I can just instant queue with?

Besides, SMN blows :v:

Well you said you wouldn't want to do it as SCH.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Personally I want to see how other classes will change and if the level 70 rotations really mix up some of the classes. Maybe BLM won't get screwed by boss jumps.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
merry christmas/non-denominational winter holiday, all of you, even the ones with bad opinions about final fantasy games. may the duty finder always give you parties you deserve.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

merry christmas/non-denominational winter holiday, all of you, even the ones with bad opinions about final fantasy games. may the duty finder always give you parties you deserve.

Except the ones who like FF3 DS. They need to know they're wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jesus was an honest healer, so Christmas is for scrubs.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Jesus Christ gains the effect of "Sell Cloak to Buy Sword" from Jesus Christ
Jesus Christ readies "Cast Out" on Moneychanger

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Took him 3 days to click accept res.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Took him 3 days to click accept res.
Would have been really awkward if he took it right away and then ate the same mechanic for double weakness.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Judas would vote abandon a perfectly good 24 man raid imo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's a hacker anyway. He got food buffs on an entire crystal tower raid using a couple of NQ loaves of bread and fish.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I hope YoshiP gives me the Christmas present of gutting 50% of the spells/abilities on every class.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mordiceius posted:

I hope YoshiP gives me the Christmas present of gutting 50% of the spells/abilities on every class.

I don't want to get rid of anything on dragoon except feint.

I don't want to get rid of anything on paladin, either.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

BLM could stand to lose Freeze, Surecast, B2 and have all the Thunders merged into one skill. Apocatastasis is useful in cases where you have a bit of downtime before a big magic hit (Sophia's ult comes to mind; I'll drop it on anyone that has vuln stacks) but I wouldn't miss it too much. Maybe combine Manawall and Manaward.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All of my buttons should be Assize with unique cooldowns that are the same as the spell they replaced and my monk punches should give me unlimited stacks of greased lightning so ultimately I run out of TP in one second but I hit for 70million per hit with 0gcd

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If they're going to simplify classes I could see a few things happening:

BLM & DRG: Ease the penalties of losing their continuous buffs of botd / enochian. BLM has a few abilities that could be easily cut, or make Freeze PVP only.
BRD: ease or remove WM, because it clearly feels like an afterthought.
MCH: maybe reduce the amount of cooldowns and buff a couple so that wildfire opener isn't so tight.
MNK: Reduce positionals and increase the time on Twin snakes.
NIN: probably make jutsus easier. Most players aren't good at effectively using them on cooldowns.
SMN: not sure. I think SMN is the easiest DPS as is.
DRK: probably reduce MP penalties.
WAR: turn abilities into traits that switch with defiance and deliverance.

Rest of the classes seem easy as is. WHM will probably have something that automatically replaces Stone 1 with whatever is strongest. I think PLD is the ideal style of play for 4.0.

I realize there's a lot of elitism that comes with dumbing down the jobs but I think 3.0 rotations were a bit too complex for raids. That and Gordias was a bit too rough. I think making the play styles so that the idea of raiding is a bit more enticing.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I guess I can get behind making things like blood of the dragon or enochian more forgiving, but actually removing abilities (except in some very niche cases like maybe one ilm punch) would be pretty dumb.

seiferguy posted:

NIN: probably make jutsus easier. Most players aren't good at effectively using them on cooldowns.

Just make it so that if you try to use doton on a single target, you get rabbit medium instead.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 25, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think Monk needs any simplification because it's already easy to get the jist. It just needs the fat trimming and number tweaks so that Purification isn't a bad invigorate and Forbidden Chakra is a once/twice a fight real burst damage rather than something which is kind of meh. A crit with Forbidden should be around F4 numbers, considering you don't always get a chance to get 5 stacks again in a fight and its certainly not very rotation.

I'd be perfectly happy with Chakra being removed though as well. It's not a fun mechanic and things that use it aren't especially fun either.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

I don't think Monk needs any simplification because it's already easy to get the jist. It just needs the fat trimming and number tweaks so that Purification isn't a bad invigorate and Forbidden Chakra is a once/twice a fight real burst damage rather than something which is kind of meh. A crit with Forbidden should be around F4 numbers, considering you don't always get a chance to get 5 stacks again in a fight and its certainly not very rotation.

I'd be perfectly happy with Chakra being removed though as well. It's not a fun mechanic and things that use it aren't especially fun either.

My prediction for monk was more exploration of the chakras. Ways to build it up during fights besides charging it up in down times (maybe like a single chakra opened every time you reapply GL3 to yourself) or getting a full stack back instantly and of course a couple other skills that use it up.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the chakra is a bit wonky. There aren't many fights where you have a chance to regain it after pushing out Forbidden Chakra. Alex Prime comes to mind as one where i get to use it a lot, but that's it.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah the chakra is a bit wonky. There aren't many fights where you have a chance to regain it after pushing out Forbidden Chakra. Alex Prime comes to mind as one where i get to use it a lot, but that's it.

Huh? This is the opposite of true because I'm having a hard time thinking of post-54 fights that don't have small breaks where you aren't attacking the boss. Maybe regular alexander 9? First priority is to form shift to coeurl stance to either keep greased lightning going if possible or reapply a stack right away if not, but even after doing that you can and should be charging at least a couple chakras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Yardbomb posted:

Been wanting to get on this and now it's on sale for a good price, is there any 'downside' to getting it on steam other than just having to buy expansions on steam too? Like no weird jank with other things? I can slap time cards on there same as otherwise and everything?

Also is Balmung still 100% impossible to get onto without doling out :20bux: ?

If you've already tried the demo directly from S-E then you need to buy a non-Steam license. Otherwise there's no caveats to worry about.

Balmung is probably impossible to get onto but you probably don't want to go there anyway unless you specifically know people there

• Locked thread