Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

In an interesting turn of events I checked that istock website and it showed up in stock at the closest Apple Store to me. When I looked earlier at ~noon it was definitely not in stock. Checked against the Apple Store app and found it showed as available for in store pickup as well so I hopped in the car and thirty minutes later I had the exact watch I was wanting to get for Mrs Heroic. :iia:

Yeah, they update as new stock comes in. Congrats on getting it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Sounds like the updates are the new lottery to get a brand-new watch. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

hotsauce posted:

Sounds like the updates are the new lottery to get a brand-new watch. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Buyer Crier beware, most folks are flat out being told "we can't fix that here, send it to Apple."

Not a risk I'd take.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
These things update themselves? I am running 3.1.1 apparently but never ran the update myself. :shrug:

Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I cannot get 3.1.1 to install on my S1. Each time it fails to verify the update claiming I'm not connected to the internet. I've tried both with Wifi and LTE, no dice.

Edit: I didn't realize 3.1.1 was the pulled update that was bricking watches. For some reason I thought it was the follow up one. Derp

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Yeah, delete the downloaded update via Usage screen in Watch.app, iirc.

I still don't understand how my watch updated on its own. I didn't initiate the update.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Running 3.1.1 fine on my apple wrist computer and it's loving epic.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Apparently the latest version of Dark Sky has fixed the watchOS syncing issues. Here's hoping.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Gunder posted:

Apparently the latest version of Dark Sky has fixed the watchOS syncing issues. Here's hoping.

Can confirm, it rules getting told in almost real time that it's -3 outside.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I still can't for the life of me get watch auto-unlock working on my mac. Been trying for a week now, always says it can't communicate with my watch even though it shows connected in the Bluetooth dropdown in the menu bar.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

bilperkins2 posted:

I still can't for the life of me get watch auto-unlock working on my mac. Been trying for a week now, always says it can't communicate with my watch even though it shows connected in the Bluetooth dropdown in the menu bar.

I had so much trouble with mine. I got it working by unpairing and repairing the watch with my iphone. Works every time now.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Can confirm, it rules getting told in almost real time that it's -3 outside.

Actually, seems like it's still hosed. The complication still warns me about rain that doesn't show up in the app at all.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Pokémon go updated with Apple Watch support for the 7 of us that still play it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Pokémon go updated with Apple Watch support for the 7 of us that still play it.

It's not bad. You start a workout and it actively tracks for Pokémon and poke stops and does a hell of a lot better at tracking steps. It can't catch Pokémon though so the plus single still has that over this.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's not bad. You start a workout and it actively tracks for Pokémon and poke stops and does a hell of a lot better at tracking steps. It can't catch Pokémon though so the plus single still has that over this.

It wasn't tracking steps for me on my first walk (or distance) but my egg progress went up. It was weird.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My iPad really doesn't like the word Pokemon apparently.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My iPad really doesn't like the word Pokemon apparently.

My phone autocorrects to Pokémon with the accent mark and all

Edit: lol forums didn't like it.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Is the 3.1.1 update never coming back? Did they give up?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I got my husband a series 1 Apple Watch for Christmas. He takes it out of the box it doesn't turn on. We put it on the charger for ~3 hours it doesn't turn on. We put it on my watch's charger for 5 hours. It still doesn't turn on. I did all of the trouble shooting they said to do on the website (no plastic covering bits, etc.) and the thing is just dead.

How much hassle am I going to get at the Apple Store today when I try to exchange it for one that isn't broken?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd hope you'd have no hassle at all.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I got my husband a series 1 Apple Watch for Christmas. He takes it out of the box it doesn't turn on. We put it on the charger for ~3 hours it doesn't turn on. We put it on my watch's charger for 5 hours. It still doesn't turn on. I did all of the trouble shooting they said to do on the website (no plastic covering bits, etc.) and the thing is just dead.

How much hassle am I going to get at the Apple Store today when I try to exchange it for one that isn't broken?

Call that an in'n'out at the ol FRUIT STAND!!!!!!!!!!!

:horse::horse::horse: :kingsley:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'd call and make an appointment at least, I bet the stores are pretty busy the next few weeks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I shouldn't need an appointment to exchange something that's broken. I especially shouldn't have to wait until Thursday (next appointment availability).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I shouldn't need an appointment to exchange something that's broken. I especially shouldn't have to wait until Thursday (next appointment availability).

Just go in and talk to a rep. It shouldn't take long at all.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
If you bought it from Apple they will exchange it on the spot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

They exchanged it on the spot.

A+ would go to :discourse::shepspends::sotw:DA MUTTER FOOKIN FRUIT STAND :xd::sotw::shepspends::discourse: again

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm getting a second hand telly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bum the Sad posted:

My phone autocorrects to Pokémon with the accent mark and all

Edit: lol forums didn't like it.

Pokémon?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Autocorrect on my phone spells it correctly, but when I post it changes to that gibberish.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bought an open box X-Doria(?) black Milanese Loop knockoff band at Best Buy today for $20. It's actually pretty awesome for a $20 knockoff. Lugs fit perfectly snug, and it passed the initial stress test of "pull it tight as a motherfucker."

Found out why it was open box pretty quick; it had an imperfection in the black coat that was quickly fixed with a Sharpie. Either that, or someone just didn't like it.

I've never held/worn a real Milanese Loop, but it'd have to be drat magical for me to ever pay $200 for it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 30, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hope it works out, but wait and see if the magnet slides over time. Particularly when you twist your forearm. I got a no name knockoff from Amazon and it's mostly great (low bar for $11) , but I have to tighten it once or maybe twice a day.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hope it works out, but wait and see if the magnet slides over time. Particularly when you twist your forearm. I got a no name knockoff from Amazon and it's mostly great (low bar for $11) , but I have to tighten it once or maybe twice a day.

I have to tighten the magnet of my genuine milanese loop several times per day. It's a strong magnet, but not where you can "set it and forget it."

Yes, it's really real, unless the Apple store sells fakes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally joined the Apple Watch bandwagon. Ended up trading a bunch of old tech at Best Buy for store credit, so I was able to get a 38mm Series 2 Sport for only about $90 out of pocket.

Really liking it so far - looking forward to playing around with it over the weekend.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
More power to you if you prefer the 38mm, but you should think carefully if you would be better served upgrading to the 42mm. The 38mm is just SO small. It's so small, in fact, that Best Buy was fire sale-ing the poo poo out of the 38mm for pennies on the dollar and still couldn't move their units for months (for example, at one point you could get a 38mm gen 1 stainless steel with the $600 link bracelet for $199).

I've had several friends of both sexes start out with the 38, whether for financial reasons or because they assumed as a woman that the 38 was their default size. Every single one either switched to the 42mm or kept the 38 and now regret it.

Also, the Series 2 is really expensive and the main upgrades that it features are exercise related, so you should be aware that you may not need that model unless you are a swimmer or consistently run/hike/etc. such that you would want to track your progress over time.

For most people, the Series 1 will be just as good.

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 31, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Series 1 is the iPad 2 of Apple wearables.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Taima posted:

More power to you if you prefer the 38mm, but you should think carefully if you would be better served upgrading to the 42mm. The 38mm is just SO small. It's so small, in fact, that Best Buy was fire sale-ing the poo poo out of the 38mm for pennies on the dollar and still couldn't move their units for months (for example, at one point you could get a 38mm gen 1 stainless steel with the $600 link bracelet for $199).

I've had several friends of both sexes start out with the 38, whether for financial reasons or because they assumed as a woman that the 38 was their default size. Every single one either switched to the 42mm or kept the 38 and now regret it.

Also, the Series 2 is really expensive and the main upgrades that it features are exercise related, so you should be aware that you may not need that model unless you are a swimmer or consistently run/hike/etc. such that you would want to track your progress over time.

For most people, the Series 1 will be just as good.

I have tiny wrists and the 38 already covers it significantly. I've contemplated the 42 but I really think it would be overkill for me. What's to regret?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Wheezle posted:

I have tiny wrists and the 38 already covers it significantly. I've contemplated the 42 but I really think it would be overkill for me. What's to regret?

4mm and resale value? Fiddy bucks? A dolla an a envelope?

Only you can decide.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

hotsauce posted:

4mm and resale value? Fiddy bucks? A dolla an a envelope?

Only you can decide.

But how can I function if the Internet can't make all my decisions for me??

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I have the 38mm and I don't mind it :shrug:

I mean, I have relatively skinny wrists, but I've never thought "this should be 4mm bigger"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
If nothing else, the battery is much better on the 42 and much easier to interact with.

• Locked thread