Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm working on a new game of Legend as the Vaulters, and is it just me or are Daemons really, really good? I'm eradicating a Necrophage player with a deathstack of two daemons, a vaulter hero built on the left tree, and a bunch of marines, and there's not much the Necrophages have been able to do about it.

And, where the hell is this city I need to take over for the stage 4 or 5 quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Daemons are hideously good. Kazanji are actually my favorite to integrate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Endless Legend seemed really cool but the lack of a "faster animations" or "skip animations" feature a la Alpha Centauri basically made it unplayable for me; did they ever add anything like that, and/or will Endless Space 2 have one?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
There is a super fast animations function yes. No skip button though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Slaan posted:

There is a super fast animations function yes. No skip button though

Oh cool, maybe I'll check it out again, then. Thanks.

e: wait it only works on battle animations, not the map animations? those are what I'm talking about

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh cool, maybe I'll check it out again, then. Thanks.

e: wait it only works on battle animations, not the map animations? those are what I'm talking about

There is no option for the map presumably because everyone moves at the same time, so it allows people to react to whatever they're doing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Seriously, where is this drat city I need to conquer for the Vaulter quest? I exterminated the Necrophages on general principle with my deathstack of marines and daemons, and still haven't found it. I don't really want to go conquering all of Auriga looking for this one city.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Just send out scouts until you find it, or ignore the quest chain

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Seriously, where is this drat city I need to conquer for the Vaulter quest? I exterminated the Necrophages on general principle with my deathstack of marines and daemons, and still haven't found it. I don't really want to go conquering all of Auriga looking for this one city.

Since I'm not at your computer I can't help you much, but...

Okay, does it say the city/territory name? Is there a little compass icon you can click on in the quest description to warp your quest location?

If neither of those are true, then trade for the maps with every faction you can. That ought to reveal most of the territory you haven't covered yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In my experience, they usually ask you to conquer a city on the opposite side of the world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

Since I'm not at your computer I can't help you much, but...

Okay, does it say the city/territory name? Is there a little compass icon you can click on in the quest description to warp your quest location?

If neither of those are true, then trade for the maps with every faction you can. That ought to reveal most of the territory you haven't covered yet.

Nope, can't warp to the quest location and the Roving Clans, Ardent Mages, and Drakken are too afraid of me to trade maps without very hefty bribes. :v:

Think I'll just go for a science victory.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Early access for ES2 is fine, but it's not a complete game yet by any measure. Based on Amplitudes track record, there's no reason to believe that they won't complete it, so if you liked EL or ES1 and think you'll eventually want to play the next 4X iteration, it's probably worth picking up cheap for now and then sitting on it (I'm assuming it will go up in price on release).

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Early access for ES2 is fine, but it's not a complete game yet by any measure. Based on Amplitudes track record, there's no reason to believe that they won't complete it, so if you liked EL or ES1 and think you'll eventually want to play the next 4X iteration, it's probably worth picking up cheap for now and then sitting on it (I'm assuming it will go up in price on release).

They already confirmed that ES2 will go up after Early Access is finished.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Nthing for the eighth or so time. We all may regret saying this in a year but I grabbed EA just on the strength of their prior catalog -- I haven't played any of the other ones for less than 90 hours (yeah, that includes Dungeon). But as of right now, ES2 is very much not there yet and there are various obvious gaping holes they need to slot systems into. I've put in maybe an hour just to noodle around and check things out but I have no intention of trying to play a full game until at least the second major update they have planned.

I love the soundtrack, at least! It has a majestic-but-sorta-sad tone that Legend hit right on the head too.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 26, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

NmareBfly posted:

Nthing for the eighth or so time. We all may regret saying this in a year but I grabbed EA just on the strength of their prior catalog -- I haven't played any of the other ones for less than 90 hours (yeah, that includes Dungeon). But as of right now, ES2 is very much not there yet and there are various obvious gaping holes they need to slot systems into. I've put in maybe an hour just to noodle around and check things out but I have no intention of trying to play a full game until at least the second major update they have planned.

I love the soundtrack, at least! It has a majestic-but-sorta-sad tone that Legend hit right on the head too.

I got the digital deluxe edition because of Amplitude's previous catalog. Also the first trailer hooked me. Sure, the cosmetic things are nice but the soundtracks for the games are amazing and I do not regret getitng them.
I am mostly looking forward to the combat revamp. The combat right now is just there. There's no strategy involved right now beyond bringing a bigger and better fleet. In ES1, I had specific types of fleets. I could beat a larger fleet by using superior tactics with the card system.

It's going to be interesting to see the game going forward.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Is there some super broken custom races I could make for endless legend? I beat it with Broken Lords and Vaulters and was looking around the internet but didn't seem to see anything like this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Is there some super broken custom races I could make for endless legend? I beat it with Broken Lords and Vaulters and was looking around the internet but didn't seem to see anything like this.

I vaguely recall making Broken Lords with the Necrophage one district per pop ability and it being p. fun.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You can also make custom Broken Lords who get +30% Dust per city.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kassad posted:

Yeah, Broken Broken Lords is pretty much insane. Just grab all the dust boosters and the Necro district discount and laugh.

Or do Cultists with the Necro district discount.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kassad posted:

Nothing will ever be as beautiful or as broken as single city Broken Lords at release.

It was sublime.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Just got Endless Legend's Emperor Edition, and for an old Civ and HoMM player, this game seems extremely good so far. I can't really afford to buy all the DLC for it right now, despite the sale, so which ones would you recommend picking up first?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Just got Endless Legend's Emperor Edition, and for an old Civ and HoMM player, this game seems extremely good so far. I can't really afford to buy all the DLC for it right now, despite the sale, so which ones would you recommend picking up first?

The one that introduces spying is pretty good. Then the one with the titans. Then the one with the moths.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

The one that introduces spying is pretty good. Then the one with the titans. Then the one with the moths.

Thanks, man. Bought Guardians and Shadows for now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just wiped out two AI factions of Necrophages as the Ardent Mages. Man that's an awkward match-up, or at least it was until I researched my third assimilation slot and recruited a bunch of justicars. Till the not-Sisters of Battle hit the field, it was a whole lot of dead BDSM mages and undead bugs on both sides.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spanish Matlock posted:

And Tempest is above all of them but I don't think it's got a good discount.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Yeah, Tempest really changes the game a lot for the better. Naval action is a big shift in priorities.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I got Endless Legend last week on a bit of a lark, and I'm absolutely overwhelmed by how much I'm enjoying it. The obvious differences between factions, the combat, the small gameplay changes from the Civ games, the setting itself... it's perfect. Seriously had a 'Just one more turn' 5AMer last week, I haven't had that in years. Plus, the UI is just so drat clean and I'm always 100% certain what I'm doing and what I can gain.

For me, it's on the same level as Civ4 and Alpha Centauri and I just have no clue where this game came from and how I missed it the first time around.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

I can't make the forgotten work on higher difficulties. I get stuck in Era II with zero income and (now that that one fortress cuts your influence income) minimal influence income. Someone once posted a guide to getting over this hump (I'm hoping it gets better, otherwise I can't see how the forgotten are viable at this level), anyone know where it went? I looked in the steam guides and couldn't find the right one.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
Define higher difficulties.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I can't make the forgotten work on higher difficulties. I get stuck in Era II with zero income and (now that that one fortress cuts your influence income) minimal influence income. Someone once posted a guide to getting over this hump (I'm hoping it gets better, otherwise I can't see how the forgotten are viable at this level), anyone know where it went? I looked in the steam guides and couldn't find the right one.

Impossible. I can usually win on that difficulty as other races.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Baron von der Loon posted:

I got Endless Legend last week on a bit of a lark, and I'm absolutely overwhelmed by how much I'm enjoying it. The obvious differences between factions, the combat, the small gameplay changes from the Civ games, the setting itself... it's perfect. Seriously had a 'Just one more turn' 5AMer last week, I haven't had that in years. Plus, the UI is just so drat clean and I'm always 100% certain what I'm doing and what I can gain.

For me, it's on the same level as Civ4 and Alpha Centauri and I just have no clue where this game came from and how I missed it the first time around.

Yeah, it's a shame this is such a sleeper hit.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ah-ha, finally found the Endless thread. Dungeon of the Endless devoured me for a couple weeks last year, and this year I'm giving Endless Legend a spin after Civ V introduced me to the wonderful world of 4Xes being horribly addicting, and while I'm still too early in to ask for gameplay tips. (Only 50~ turns into a Broken Lords easy playthrough, still figuring everything out.)

I do have some questions about lore:

- Where do I go to read up on the canon lore of this universe? The setting is incredible, and I want to learn more about everything. (I suspect this involves wiki-diving.)

- What's wrong with the races in Endless Space? I haven't played it, but the OP didn't specify why they were memes/bad/etc, and apparently it's non-canon now, and ??? I want to know more!

Also, Mokinokaro, thank you for the list of expansion packs from the steam xmas sale thread - I got the list saved for whenever the next sale rolls around, as even this early in I want the full game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

- What's wrong with the races in Endless Space? I haven't played it, but the OP didn't specify why they were memes/bad/etc, and apparently it's non-canon now, and ??? I want to know more!

The ES1 races were okay (outside of being too human heavy I feel,) but they had a lot of weird poo poo caused by being too open with the community votes. Like one of the administrator heroes was literally GladOS from Portal because the Portal memes were big at the time. The main problem with ES1 is a lot of it just feels incomplete and bland.

ES2 is basically a reboot that will apparently tie into the universe established by Legend and Dungeon more. I'll expand on this post later.

(And I REALLY need to do some writeup for ES2 for the OP)

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

The devs took what they learnt over the lifespan of Endless Space and made sure to expand even further on that. They probably have one of the best new IPs to boot.

The new music they added to EL a while back was the reason I picked it up again. :shobon: I would buy the games purely for the soundtrack

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

The ES1 races were okay (outside of being too human heavy I feel,) but they had a lot of weird poo poo caused by being too open with the community votes. Like one of the administrator heroes was literally GladOS from Portal because the Portal memes were big at the time. The main problem with ES1 is a lot of it just feels incomplete and bland.

Conversely, the Cult of the Eternal End in Endless Legend is also community-designed and is probably the most interesting faction in fluff and mechanics.

They're a cult led by an abandoned AI devoted not to worshipping their gods, but hunting them down and destroying them for being absentee landlords.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well yeah but the Cult was developed in a,more restrictive rule set

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Re: Endless Space 2, the system approval threshold never changes from 5, doesn't it? Which means that I should have the appropriate happiness buildings good to go once I starting expanding beyond 5 systems?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sadly there's no Lore-apedia in Endless Legend. Instead you kind of just have to look at all the item descriptions and stuff.

The short version for why Dust is money is because it's a nanomachine of some sort. The titular Endless are a now-dead race of superbeings who did all sorts of stuff with it.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

I feel you, brother: EL for me is the best 4x game made this decade so far.
I cross my fingers in hope ES2 will have the same top notch quality !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Speedball posted:

Sadly there's no Lore-apedia in Endless Legend. Instead you kind of just have to look at all the item descriptions and stuff.

The short version for why Dust is money is because it's a nanomachine of some sort. The titular Endless are a now-dead race of superbeings who did all sorts of stuff with it.

This is IIRC also why Dust 'magic' works. It's the nanomachines, which can be activated and made to do things (or activate themselves under parameters that can be forced to occur), but nobody on Auriga really understands them or how to make them do everything they could.