Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bring back Randy Edsall

He got to the Orange Bowl

Fiesta and that team was only like 8-5. The Big East was just trash. It's like wanting to hire Zook because he bumbled into a Rose Bowl.

e: that's a little unfair. Edsall was a totally fine head coach there and they could do worse, his BSC team just wasn't all that impressive or different from most of his other teams

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Fiesta and that team was only like 8-5. The Big East was just trash. It's like wanting to hire Zook because he bumbled into a Rose Bowl.

Edsall was a solid 8-4 coach every year

When you're UConn, can you expect to do better?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

MourningView posted:

It took some very lucky fumbles and an undeserved autobid. That being said, what makes me more nervous about the Edsall option is, how often is the second stint of a coach as good as the first?

Edit: That team also had Joe Moorhead and Todd Orlando as OC and DC, I would rather try and get one of them first, given their subsequent careers.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 26, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

e: that's a little unfair. Edsall was a totally fine head coach there and they could do worse, his BSC team just wasn't all that impressive or different from most of his other teams

Would you rather be blown out by USC or Stanford?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I guess our OC must still be waiting to coach in a bowl. Hopefully it'll be a cool surprise

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UConn's gonna be hard pressed to find a candidate if they're firing Diaco this late (and apparently not making it official until Jan. 2, which probably fucks him out of some of his buyout). You're at or near the bottom of the AAC, you're 25 miles from your "home" stadium, and you're always going to be 3rd banana behind mens and womens basketball.

E: woof, they're ranked dead last in AAC recruiting, and nationally are even lower than loving UMass :stare:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 27, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Edsall is a good fit for them. He was all abound scouting players NO ONE had ever heard of and then developing the poo poo out of them. He'll get you the best team in the AAC if you're in the AAC, but the problem is he'll do that too if you're in the Big Ten.

I keep saying there's a much different skillset for getting a program from bad to respectable and a top level coach. He's a little bit different in that way than Schiano/Golden/Wannstedt etc... in that he can't recruit at ALL (he got some guys at Maryland but it was all Locksley), and P5 players don't want to deal with him screaming at them 24/7. Guy is definitely an rear end in a top hat who treats people like garbage, and Maryland revolted very quickly after he was hired.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Why did Edsall get fired mid-season again? He had been more or less improving at Maryland before then.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

buddhanc posted:

I guess our OC must still be waiting to coach in a bowl. Hopefully it'll be a cool surprise

Surprise, it's still Stelin Gilbert!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That Works posted:

Why did Edsall get fired mid-season again? He had been more or less improving at Maryland before then.

Not only that but I think he got an extension like 4 months before they fired him. It was really weird.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

PostNouveau posted:

Surprise, it's Major Applewhite!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

That Works posted:

how? He stalled out at 7-6 for two years and was 2-4 with an awful team when he got fired

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The better question is why they fired Friedgen

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Joe Moorhead is not interested in leaving Penn State for UConn. This is the second job he's been connected to in the last week or two (other being Temple). Penn State will be a playoff caliber team next year, so he'll have a better pick of P5 teams.

edit: and that's probably Notre Dame.

Komet fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 27, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

General Dog posted:

The better question is why they fired Friedgen

I think he beat up a kid

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UConn fucks Diaco out of $1.6 million by officially firing him on January 2nd. Same thing Michigan did to Rich Rod

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

UConn fucks Diaco out of $1.6 million by officially firing him on January 2nd. Same thing Michigan did to Rich Rod

Diaco must pay reparations for the bloody and costly Civil Conflict he started

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
UCF just leaving that dumb trophy behind was low key the best thing that happened this season

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

Surprise, it's still Stelin Gilbert!

I really doubt this would happen, but an offense designed and operated by Tom Herman and Sterlin Gilbert would not make me sad in the least.

In other dubious news, I've seen some speculation that it's Warriner from tOSU, but that seems really hard to believe. Why would that dude be looking to make a move to the same position at a program that's in much worse shape?

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 27, 2016

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Raku posted:

Nah Pitt wins big games

Pitt has had a big game in the last decade?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Uh, excuse me, but who are you to downplay the glamorous and glorious Pinstripe Bowl against the mighty Northwestern Wildcats? :colbert:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Regnevelc posted:

There was that time they ruined WVU's title shot.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MourningView posted:

Zook would probably do well at UConn if he can still recruit and some of his former assistants like Mike Locksley join him. That Illinois team that went to the Rose Bowl was super talented but poorly coached. If he can pull that poo poo off in the Big Ten then he can build a poorly coached winner in the AAC.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Thermos H Christ posted:

I really doubt this would happen, but an offense designed and operated by Tom Herman and Sterlin Gilbert would not make me sad in the least.

In other dubious news, I've seen some speculation that it's Warriner from tOSU, but that seems really hard to believe. Why would that dude be looking to make a move to the same position at a program that's in much worse shape?

We're only paying him like $600K, and he's one of the best O-line/run game coaches in the business. Not to mention Buckeye fans are souring on him real fast with how vanilla the offense has gotten since the championship. All that in mind, you don't want him within 100 feet of your passing game or playcalls unless you like watching what Brian Schottenheimer would call on 3rd down from a spread. He's new Steve Addazio without the fun nickname.

That said, if you had a brain trust of Herman with Gilbert/Warriner co-coordinating, you could be terrifying since Gilbert has demonstrated he can at least design a logical passing game and call plays, as can Herman.

As an aside, OSU hired literally Urban Meyer's best man as their new LBs coach, and I have no idea what to make of it beyond him being like a 12 year NFL coach who hasn't recruited since the 90's. He's been in the back room for a bit, but still perplexing as hell. I assume this means Coombs is taking over on-field adjustments with Schiano still in the booth. Also someone please hire Warriner and Beck away before I have to watch JT regress to Braxton Miller circa 2011 levels of mechnics.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

I assume this means Coombs is taking over on-field adjustments with Schiano still in the booth.

That's what I'd assume. I'd be really surprised if Coombs became co-DC or something. He's a hell of a recruiter but I don't know if he's good to take the reigns yet.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

TheGreyGhost posted:

We're only paying him like $600K, and he's one of the best O-line/run game coaches in the business. Not to mention Buckeye fans are souring on him real fast with how vanilla the offense has gotten since the championship. All that in mind, you don't want him within 100 feet of your passing game or playcalls unless you like watching what Brian Schottenheimer would call on 3rd down from a spread. He's new Steve Addazio without the fun nickname.

That said, if you had a brain trust of Herman with Gilbert/Warriner co-coordinating, you could be terrifying since Gilbert has demonstrated he can at least design a logical passing game and call plays, as can Herman.

As an aside, OSU hired literally Urban Meyer's best man as their new LBs coach, and I have no idea what to make of it beyond him being like a 12 year NFL coach who hasn't recruited since the 90's. He's been in the back room for a bit, but still perplexing as hell. I assume this means Coombs is taking over on-field adjustments with Schiano still in the booth. Also someone please hire Warriner and Beck away before I have to watch JT regress to Braxton Miller circa 2011 levels of mechnics.

I thought Beck was the one everyone hated. He's been rumored too. I guess that Rutgers dude is supposed to be the "passing game coordinator," though. Hopefully at the end of the day it's Herman's offense regardless.

Anyway, if "vanilla" is the problem, then Sterlin Gilbert is certainly not an antidote. With extremely rare exceptions we either ran the ball between the tackles, threw a quick horizontal pass, or a deep pass straight down the sidelines. That was it. That was the whole offense. And before our QB got dinged up it worked pretty great, since he could reliably hit receivers in stride if they outran their defenders down the sideline, and D'onta Foreman made teams work really hard to defend those runs up the middle. We could just let them pick their poison and give it to them. Too bad our defense was horrible.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Thermos H Christ posted:

I thought Beck was the one everyone hated. He's been rumored too. I guess that Rutgers dude is supposed to be the "passing game coordinator," though. Hopefully at the end of the day it's Herman's offense regardless.

Anyway, if "vanilla" is the problem, then Sterlin Gilbert is certainly not an antidote. With extremely rare exceptions we either ran the ball between the tackles, threw a quick horizontal pass, or a deep pass straight down the sidelines. That was it. That was the whole offense. And before our QB got dinged up it worked pretty great, since he could reliably hit receivers in stride if they outran their defenders down the sideline, and D'onta Foreman made teams work really hard to defend those runs up the middle. We could just let them pick their poison and give it to them. Too bad our defense was horrible.

It's a bit nuanced.

Fundamentally, OSU's problem right now is that they can stretch the field horizontally all day but can't do poo poo vertically. Part of that has been the Isaiah Prince experience at RT getting Barrett lit up early and turning him into captain checkdown. Part of that is the absurd WR rotation that keeps him from developing any real timing with guys. Part of it is that we just don't call deep shots right now, partially because we had some games with crazy wind and partially because it's Barrett's biggest weakness. Of those, Prince's lack of development is partially on Warriner for just not giving him help in favor of letting Marcus Baugh run routes and drop passes and partially on him being incredibly young while adapting to Studrawa at OL coach. The WR Rotation is really both Beck and Zach Smith's faults as passing game coordinators since they refuse to admit that you can't run a passing game like a 7-on-7 in a real game though Warriner should have the sense to tell them to knock it off as the playcaller. The playcalling is completely on Warriner and Beck. When you look at those issues, Warriner is the one constant with Beck lagging just behind him.

Beck as a mechanics coach is aggressively mediocre rather than outright terrible to correct myself; it's him as a schematic instructor for QBs that's really troubling right now. Barrett's developed some bad mechanical habits, but I think that's as much a factor of being shellshocked from having a turnstile at RT and not having the TE helping with pass blocking as it is Beck being an overly conservative coach in terms of progression reads. If you look, he's clearly enforced a 2-read then check progression that Herman openly despised because it took away options that show up when receivers can just sit in zone soft spots and wait for a ball while QBs/lines buy time. That 3rd/4th read was why games like the 2014 playoffs worked out, since it was usually a slot guy busting open late, a soft boundary spot a receiver finds after their break, or a downfield threat separating that made the passing game work (Jalin Marshall and Devin Smith applying pressure or Michael Thomas being able to sit down in an open hook). Watch Houston's passing from this past year against Oklahoma and you'll see what I mean about that instruction. Now, part of the new edict is because they know that the pass protection (read: Isaiah Prince's flailing and Billy Price's heroic attempts to play the whole right side by himself) is suspect, and part of that is because there hasn't a consistently capable deep threat or route runner that they're willing to draw in as a 3rd/4th read worth the risk of Barrett having to rush a throw or take a hit. But that's still completely inexcusable for a team with the level of talent OSU has on offense. Seriously, watch the number of plays this year where Barrett reads something to the tune of "Brown, Samuel, check to Weber" or "Campbell, Hill, check to Baugh". It's uncanny.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

There were games this year where JT looked like he straight up forgot how to throw a football

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/813849842619469824

is this good?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
He coached the Dak Attack, right?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brett McMurphy saying Edsall is a strong candidate to go back to UConn

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DJExile posted:

Who was loving who?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Who was loving who?

Diaco was a bad coach but if you're gonna fire the guy, fire the guy. A stunt like that is just a dick move.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Real Name Grover posted:

He coached the Dak Attack, right?

Yeah glancing at where he's been he's a good hire if you have Dak and a pretty mediocre hire if not. OC'd Utah to 66th and 75th ranked offenses by points scores, but apparently showed enough for Dan Mullen to hire him. Then Dak years=really damned good, last year wasn't so great.

This is a super lazy evaluation since I'm just looking at points scored rankings, maybe he's brilliant and it just hasn't shown up outside of the Prescott years.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I thought Warinner was supposed to be good, and it was Beck that was the problem?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think he beat up a kid

Edsall did his first year at MD.

He was fired because they got blown out by Bowling Green (which we know now was because of Dino Babers), followed by three straight blow out losses to WVU, UM, and OSU. He was already widely hated inside and outside the program though.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Kim Jong Il posted:

I thought Warinner was supposed to be good, and it was Beck that was the problem?

He was as a position coach. Not so much as an OC.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Mike Locksley rumored to be heading to UF after the bowl season, presumably to ameliorate the recruiting situation

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pete Thamel says ND offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock is leaving to go to Cincinnati. I'd imagine to take the same job there. Guessing BK is just jettisoning everyone.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 28, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Locksley is a dynamite recruiter. Would be an amazing get for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ohio State doesn't throw deep because Barrett can't reliably hit a certain side of the field, let alone receivers. His regression is pretty bizarre.

• Locked thread