Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Terraria is a lot of fun. I had the game for about 3 weeks. I like being able to create your own house, arenas, and farms. Even though I beat the final boss, I'm still trying to find some unique stuff here and there (such as Rod of Discord today). I'll spend the next few weeks just building stuff and becoming a better engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

That doesn't look like placed dirt walls. Natural dirt walls can't be used as a background (since those kinds determine enemy spawns.) You need to break them first.

DoubleNegative posted:

You're gonna have to remove the dirt backwall all the way over from the closest point where it stops.

Ah, thanks. At least it was only about 35 blocks deep at the bottom, so it wasn't really a hassle.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, thanks. At least it was only about 35 blocks deep at the bottom, so it wasn't really a hassle.
The smart cursor helps for that quite a lot. As does having a high quality hammer.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

grimcreaper posted:

Any mods you would recommend to run with thorium?

I recently got back into terraria and for my 1.3.4 playthrough, I decided to get crazy with mods. Final mod count is almost 40, and they seem to be working ok together. I'm playing an expert mode large world and probably will push into hard mode today. There's something of everything in here. Note that this modlist is for tmodloader 0.9.0.3 and I have not tested the list with 0.9.1.x.

You can download the modpack here from my dropbox. It's about 150mb.

Note that there are quite a few duplicate recipes for accessories and I've just been using the cheapest ones. Can't find ice skates? Craft em. Don't want to grind the fisher npc for the weather radio/etc? You can craft those, too.

Partial mod list: TerraRE, Snake's fishing expansion, even more modifiers, worldgen previewer, JayL mod - fishing, angler reward recipes, item customizer, imkSushi Mod+drops+potions, Summoners association, Which Mod Is This From, Prefixes for Enemies (amazing mod, makes mobs more random and have interesting buffs), Cosmetic variety and legends, Cheeze's Content pack, OmniSwing (makes everything autoswing/autofire, bows, swords, you name it. So amazing.), Alchemist NPC, Helpful Hotkeys, Boss Checklist, Wireless (no more stringing wires everywhere), Calamity Mod, Simple Auto chests, GRealm, Dushy's Upgrade, The Potion Merchant, WeaponOut (highly recommended.. shows your currently equipped weapon), Tooltips+, Shorter Respawn Time, Compressed Potions, Recipe Browser, Fishing 2.0, The Luggage (adds a luggage pet that picks up items, totally awesome), Quality Recipes, Reduced Grinding, Tremor Mod Remastered.

Yeah, it's long. And it's awesome.

e. Have a screenshot of my base.

My active weapon is from Tremor Mod, drops from spiders, and launches egg sacs that explode into spiders that swarm my enemies and poison them. So amazingly awesome.

and world map

I made a minecart run all the way across the map a few dozen tiles below harpy range.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 26, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ambaire posted:

I recently got back into terraria and for my 1.3.4 playthrough, I decided to get crazy with mods. Final mod count is almost 40, and they seem to be working ok together. I'm playing an expert mode large world and probably will push into hard mode today. There's something of everything in here. Note that this modlist is for tmodloader 0.9.0.3 and I have not tested the list with 0.9.1.x.

Note that there are quite a few duplicate recipes for accessories and I've just been using the cheapest ones. Can't find ice skates? Craft em. Don't want to grind the fisher npc for the weather radio/etc? You can craft those, too.

Partial mod list: TerraRE, Snake's fishing expansion, even more modifiers, worldgen previewer, JayL mod - fishing, angler reward recipes, item customizer, imkSushi Mod+drops+potions, Summoners association, Which Mod Is This From, Prefixes for Enemies (amazing mod, makes mobs more random and have interesting buffs), Cosmetic variety and legends, Cheeze's Content pack, OmniSwing (makes everything autoswing/autofire, bows, swords, you name it. So amazing.), Alchemist NPC, Helpful Hotkeys, Boss Checklist, Wireless (no more stringing wires everywhere), Calamity Mod, Simple Auto chests, GRealm, Dushy's Upgrade, The Potion Merchant, WeaponOut (highly recommended.. shows your currently equipped weapon), Tooltips+, Shorter Respawn Time, Compressed Potions, Recipe Browser, Fishing 2.0, The Luggage (adds a luggage pet that picks up items, totally awesome), Quality Recipes, Reduced Grinding, Tremor Mod Remastered.

Your modpack is my first foray into Terraria modding, do I just drop it into the install folder?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Turtlicious posted:

Your modpack is my first foray into Terraria modding, do I just drop it into the install folder?

Extract the contents of the tmodloader zip and copy/paste it into \steam\steamapps\common\Terraria, launch terraria then close it, then paste the contents of the Mods directory into \Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mods.

One thing I forgot to put in that zip is TerraCustom, custom world generation. Just stuff the exe in \steamapps\common\Terraria. I used it to ensure I had pyramids and giant trees for this large map.

e. Be sure to go thru the mods list and check to see they're all enabled. They should be..

Oh yeah. I currently have 30 NPCs and haven't gone into hard mode yet. You'll need to build a big house.

Also, despite being able to craft a bunch of accessories, I still don't have a cell phone because I haven't gotten the depth meter yet, those darn bats. Sad times.

Cosmetic variety and legends adds Starwood armor, for a pre-hardmode summoning set. Behold the dino army of doom (from Thorium Mod).

e. Woooow... literally the first bat I kill after saying I haven't found a depth meter yet, drops a depth meter. Hello, first cell phone.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 26, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Extract the contents of the tmodloader zip and copy/paste it into \steam\steamapps\common\Terraria

If I do that Terraria will no longer launch (can't cut-and-paste the error message unfortunately). Restoring the original Terraria.exe file doesn't fix it, I have to revalidate local files.
The Readme says to run tModLoaderInstaller.jar . What do I run it with?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Java?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am bad at this. I drop all the files in the Terraria folder, overwriting as neccesary. Running Terraria.exe won't work so I run it through Steam. Loads as normal.
Very as normal. There isn't a 'mod loader' option in the main menu or anything like that.
There is a modloader folder in documents/my games/terraria, so presumably I did something. But dropping mod files into this doesn't seem to do anything.

(The java install failed saying it couldn't find my install folder)

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 26, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ambaire posted:

My active weapon is from Tremor Mod, drops from spiders, and launches egg sacs that explode into spiders that swarm my enemies and poison them. So amazingly awesome.

and world map

I made a minecart run all the way across the map a few dozen tiles below harpy range.

I'm not sure how I missed your post, I apologise for that. I'll be loading it up a bit later.

Thanks for the list and pack.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Hello goons, I am a new player, using Mobile on an old phone. After going far down enough to encounter hell, I recently dug my first hellevator (not a continuous one), walked into a hell tower, popped open my first Shadow Chest, and found a Piercing Drax in the first slot. I am not sure how unusual this is.

I acquired it at the same time as discovering that you can just mine in a general direction (instead of the precision single-block mining mode). Needless to say moving from "precision usage of an iron pickaxe" to "drilling in a general direction" has been a complete game changer for me. It has been fun as hell to just run through everything in front of me. I'm sure it's also quite sequence breaking but I don't know enough to even accomplish that. Although I did manage to drill through the crimson rock, summon the brain, and face tank it with the drill until it died. I had not made my first armor yet.

Why did I even have a shadow key for opening the hell chest? I clearly had not transitioned to hardmode. I have never entered the dungeon or defeated Skeletron. Indeed there is a shadow key and a gold key in my inventory but all I remember beforehand is visiting the jungle, fighting some enemies / opening some chests there, and maybe helping a friend fight the bee but that may have happened after the Drax. I vaguely remember seeing an ocean chest but don't think I had enough air to loot it. I hadn't found any floating islands yet by then either.

Any idea?

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 26, 2016

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Another player could have dropped the key while near you and you picked it up without noticing?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
My girlfriend is the only player I've interacted with and she's as new as me. I felt guilty for starting with a katana and mining helmet she started me off with for this character, as those were the best items we had found yet!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I've seen a few references on the wiki about how the console and mobile versions occasionally have items turning up in the wrong places. Were you opening christmas presents by any chance? those can supposedly drop the drax and a few other things.

Shadow chests can also spawn on the boundary between hell and the deep caves, and depending on where they are they may or may not actually be locked. It's really rare, but it can sometimes happen, especially in small worlds.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 27, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, Blood Moons in Hardmode do not gently caress around, do they?

I seriously need to get a new weapon. Night's Edge is already getting outclassed.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I seriously need to get a new weapon. Night's Edge is already getting outclassed.

Hold onto it for a future upgrade.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Blood Moon is nothing, wait until you get your first Eclipse. On my latest playthrough immediately after entering Hardmode I got a Blood Moon and an Eclipse back to back before I even had a chance to do inventory management after the WoF. It was unpleasant.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Blood Moon is nothing, wait until you get your first Eclipse. On my latest playthrough immediately after entering Hardmode I got a Blood Moon and an Eclipse back to back before I even had a chance to do inventory management after the WoF. It was unpleasant.

Eclipses have required defeating a mechanical boss first for a couple of years now, so he should be pretty safe there.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pirate Invasions can still gently caress your poo poo up in early hardmode too. You can always go hide from blood moons in hell, which is probably the easiest, safest biome at that point.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fizbin posted:

Eclipses have required defeating a mechanical boss first for a couple of years now, so he should be pretty safe there.

And there was literally only a 9 day window where it didn't. They were introduced with 1.2, and the requirement that you beat Plantera before they trigger was introduced 9 days later (which was then dialed back to "defeat a mechanical boss" a few weeks later).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh, whoops, turns out that was a feature of this mod I'm running. My bad.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Also, despite being able to craft a bunch of accessories, I still don't have a cell phone because I haven't gotten the depth meter yet, those darn bats. Sad times.

At least the only thing you needed for the cell phone was a relatively straightforward drop, I'm still waiting on a Weather Radio. Got the other two items in my first 10 quests, now at 50.

Once I get that and tie up a few other loose ends (a couple buildings in my town to furnish, farm up a Nazar and one or two other things) I'll finally be getting myself into Hardmode for the first time. At least I'll have plenty of crates to start it with, right?

Edit: wrong accessory needed because my memory is garbage

Edit 2: of course I get it on quest 51 after complaining.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 28, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

santa why did you move in the bathroom, you can use the guest house, for christ sake.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

santa why did you move in the bathroom, you can use the guest house, for christ sake.

He's probably lactose intolerant. Imagine how much poo poo he must produce, eating nothing but cookies and drinking milk. thousands and thousands of cookies. Gallons answer gallons of milk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So mods. Finding mods for this game is a pain in the rear end, but apparently there are several huge, expansive mods and stuff? I'm basically just looking to download everything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nuebot posted:

So mods. Finding mods for this game is a pain in the rear end, but apparently there are several huge, expansive mods and stuff? I'm basically just looking to download everything.

Ambaire posted:

and world map

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, it was a pain to farm the ore and souls, but I now have a full suit of Adamantium, a Phasesaber, the Onyx Blaster, and a set of wings.

I think I'm almost ready to take on The Destroyer... :ohdear:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think I'm almost ready to take on The Destroyer... :ohdear:
Oh, the game will decide that for you. To quote my last playthrough:

Pierzak posted:

Welp, looks like hard mode is out to gently caress me this time. First night, blood moon. Shortly afterwards, pirate invasion while I'm still in pre-hardmode gear. I think sure, I have a nice arena, gonna whittle them down somehow. While I'm doing this, evening comes, blood moon again. I think, welp gently caress, can't be much worse can it? As if on cue, "The Destroyer has awoken!"

What the gently caress, game. :nallears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That sounds like my game a few days ago.

"Okay, got some cobalt and I'm at 1/4 health; time to warp back home. Oh look, blood moon, dammit, at least I can harvest some deathw"DESTROYER OUT OF NOWHERE SPLURCH

e: At least I got a KO Cannon out of it...

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ambaire posted:

and world map

Quick note to anyone using this pack:

Check the mod browser for updates to a lot of the mods. The guys behind tmodloader are genius. Now if only N-Terraria would become a tmodloader mod.

Anyone have any experience with the classes and experience mod?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thanks, I was hoping there was a nexus styled repository I'd just been missing somehow but this will have to do. My friends keep talking about a "Dark Souls" mod for the game and I have no idea what the hell that is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Ok apparently the game's still trying to beat me. Almost missed the red glare of the Martian drone just as I activated the Lunatic Cultist. Would've been fun.

And of course two of the pillars are right where I have my bases :shepicide:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I now have 20 unicorn banners. It was a dobbinpocalypse.
does this make me a bad person

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nuebot posted:

Thanks, I was hoping there was a nexus styled repository I'd just been missing somehow but this will have to do. My friends keep talking about a "Dark Souls" mod for the game and I have no idea what the hell that is.

Tmodloader has an in-game browser that is decent-ish. However, the Dark Souls mod being referenced, unless someone made a new version eventually, probably refers to the incredibly old, entirely incompatible with new Terraria, adventure map Red Cloud which featured souls-like things like dropping souls on death and such.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Soooooo yeah, I was not ready for The Destroyer. That kinda sucked and was not fun.

I tried to do it with the Onyx Blaster, but the problem is that I am utterly terrible with that kind of mouse-aiming because I always lose track of my cursor. I should probably stick to melee, but that just seems like a bad idea what with the touch damage and all.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's the best tool to remove a square mile of back wall as fast as possible (except map editor)? Preferably some hammer equivalent of the drill mount.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dynamite?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Can't be stuck to the back wall and building platforms to hold it would probably be slower than tearing it down by hand.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pierzak posted:

Can't be stuck to the back wall and building platforms to hold it would probably be slower than tearing it down by hand.

Yeah, dynamite is a really bad choice for removing back walls. I think the most time effective way to do that is to ride the UFO or other mount that allows infinite stationary flight, take your fastest hammer, and switch smart cursor on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Soooooo yeah, I was not ready for The Destroyer. That kinda sucked and was not fun.

I tried to do it with the Onyx Blaster, but the problem is that I am utterly terrible with that kind of mouse-aiming because I always lose track of my cursor. I should probably stick to melee, but that just seems like a bad idea what with the touch damage and all.

Get a set of Adamantite / Titanium armor with the melee helmet and run the Wall until you get a clockwork assault rifle. That combo + exploding ammo should tear The Destroyer to bits, doubly so if you spam buff potions.