Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Burkion posted:

If she ever drops that, if she ever stops being interesting to him, I get the strong feeling she'd be dead or forgotten. I'd imagine though we can't say for certain, that's what keeps him circling Bruce. Bruce also interests him. It'd fit the often weirdly sexual relationship between Batman and the Joker

I think she'd come out ahead. Leto's Joker is playing with fire, and he's the one who's protected by her imaginary, worshipful image of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We'll have to see.

I think the Joker is the most dangerous one just because he doesn't have any of the humanity Harley does. But it's hard to gauge because of how little he's in this film.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burkion posted:

We'll have to see.

I think the Joker is the most dangerous one just because he doesn't have any of the humanity Harley does. But it's hard to gauge because of how little he's in this film.

And supposedly we're going to see Harley/Ivy in Gotham Sirens. Oh goody. Either Leto lets go of the role or there's no way the movie doesn't end with Harley jumping back in Joker's arms.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

And supposedly we're going to see Harley/Ivy in Gotham Sirens. Oh goody. Either Leto lets go of the role or there's no way the movie doesn't end with Harley jumping back in Joker's arms.

I think Affleck's Batman movie using Deathstroke as its villain (because seriously, who the gently caress has ever heard of Deathstroke), as well as WB rapidly backing the gently caress away from every aspect of Suicide Squad that isn't named Margot Robbie, speaks a lot to Leto's future as Joker.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think a lot of people were exposed to the lower tier batman villains like Deathstroke through those Arkham games. It's the place I found out about Harley Quinn

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also Batman has by far the best villain lineup. Not only was that a perfect usage of the Joker but it also means you don't have to reuse The Joker for a Batman movie. You could use literally anyone else.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think a lot of people were exposed to the lower tier batman villains like Deathstroke through those Arkham games. It's the place I found out about Harley Quinn

He was also in the Teen Titans '03 cartoon, but was called by his more family-friendly name Slade.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Equeen posted:

He was also in the Teen Titans '03 cartoon, but was called by his more family-friendly name Slade.

That version did some disturbing things and Ron Perlman's voice acting sold it so well

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He was pure strain child molester all the goddamn way

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Someone once described Deathstroke's relationship with Robin in that cartoon to me as "imagine if all the jokes about Batman loving Robin were treated seriously and Robin had run away from home at age 13 to escape the abuse" and my response was "I will not do that, nor will I watch that cartoon"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crion posted:

Someone once described Deathstroke's relationship with Robin in that cartoon to me as "imagine if all the jokes about Batman loving Robin were treated seriously and Robin had run away from home at age 13 to escape the abuse" and my response was "I will not do that, nor will I watch that cartoon"

Wasn't just Robin either.

He also was straight up rapey with Raven in all the worst ways.

Frankly it's amazing they didn't go with the canon to the comics moment of him literally loving the 13 year old Terra.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Crion posted:

people overblow it dramatically, it's still a show for 8 year olds at the end of the day

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Timby posted:

I think Affleck's Batman movie using Deathstroke as its villain (because seriously, who the gently caress has ever heard of Deathstroke), as well as WB rapidly backing the gently caress away from every aspect of Suicide Squad that isn't named Margot Robbie, speaks a lot to Leto's future as Joker.
Probably more complicated than that, assuming WB are stepping away from Leto's Joker. Most people watching these movies have no loving clue about the villains, and frequently the heroes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deathstroke was a main villain in Arrow.

And if the movies are anything like the comics, Harley is going to be increasingly independent from The Joker.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's all too bad because Leto's Joker was probably the single best thing about Suicide Squad. Granted, he couldn't have been showcased nearly half as well given what was there without showing his and Harley's relationship.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
My inclination would be for the Joker's version of Harley's idolization of him to be the facade of seeing her as ultimately disposable, to play at denying the power she has over him and the possibility that he might actually need her.

Just like the Joker will never be a normal breadwinning husband, Harley will never be just someone you can use and throw away. And for the same reason: they're both brilliant, unstable maniacs.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 25, 2016

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Burkion posted:

If she ever drops that, if she ever stops being interesting to him, I get the strong feeling she'd be dead or forgotten. I'd imagine though we can't say for certain, that's what keeps him circling Bruce. Bruce also interests him. It'd fit the often weirdly sexual relationship between Batman and the Joker

Arkham Origins has the best 10 minutes of Joker falling in love with Batman. Whole game plays out like a beat em up love story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnQrVKNvqqI&t=420s

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Joker discovering there's someone just as insane as him is the most wonderful part of Origins.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Burkion posted:

I like the idea of Leto's Joker and I like what he was able to do with it, he just wasn't given much time to do it or proper direction.

He's an ugly, awful creature that despises everything especially himself but puts on the facade of it all being one big joke, even though he's too angry and hateful to actually find it funny. He is five steps ahead of everyone, especially Waller, and I really cannot wait to see how he interacts with Batman.

He only keeps Harley around to begin with because she was amusing, and as the movie shows, they ultimately want two very different things. She wants the paradox of being the nuclear family with a bread-winning husband, while he just wants to kill everyone and burn the world. But most of all she wants him, and he keeps her around because she interests him.

I disagree that what Harley really wanted was the standard white picket fence American fantasy. The Joker is initially similar to the "Watch the world burn" The Dark Knight asexual cosmic force when he manipulates Harley to escape the prison, and he applies electroshock therapy to her as an initial revelation of his true self. Harley surprises the Joker by accepting every part of him.

The Joker posted:

Desire becomes surrender, surrender becomes power. Do you want this?
The Joker answers this question by exasperatingly accepting this submission of power by diving in the vat of toxic chemicals. After Harley disappears, The Joker becomes lost in a painful daze but regains his usual force of nature persona in his attempts at her rescue.

Enchantress posted:

Why are you here? Because the soldier led you. And all for Waller. Why do you serve those who cage you? I am your ally, and I know what you want. Exactly what you want.
The images conjured by the Enchantress are inherently manipulative, feeding on the fetishistic desires of the Suicide Squad. She functions as an alluring and alternative authoritarian force, making wild promises in exchange for complete obedience. Diablo is able to see through the deception. "No, you don't want that. She's trying to play games with you, it's not real." Deadshot's fantasy of Batman standing in the way of being with his daughter masks the painful reality where his daughter confronts him with the idea that they can't be together because he kills people for money. Harley's fantasy represents the Joker making the ultimate submission by giving up everything he believes in. Of course, if he actually did so and became an ordinary guy, she would not love him. Flag's fantasy implies that he's not played an integral part in the entire situation by capitulating to the Enchantress's threat to fatally hurt June. Harley, Deadshot and Flag again face their desires head on in their final confrontation to stop this greater evil, which in the end, leaves them with the lesser evil, Amanda Waller, to submit to.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 26, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMiwKhm3uI

Did, did Archie and Jughead loving murdered a dude?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Tween Peaks looking interesting

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMiwKhm3uI

Did, did Archie and Jughead loving murdered a dude?

I keep seeing people freakin' out about this, but, isn't this where the comics have been for quite awhile?
At the very least it's always been a goofy rear end soap opera.

That Josie and the Pussycats though. :swoon:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

wyoming posted:

I keep seeing people freakin' out about this, but, isn't this where the comics have been for quite awhile?
At the very least it's always been a goofy rear end soap opera.

I wouldn't say "quite a while" all the rebooting stuff has been pretty recent, although definitely they've done spin offs that leaned in the direction.
This is pretty distinct from classic Archie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Tween Peaks looking interesting

I'm definitely using this from now on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Cute

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOc6cm-jYpV/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You know, it's really easy to forget how fuckin gigantic The Rock is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

This ruled. The Rock is in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm definitely using this from now on.

Thanks wasn't sure how cringy it was haha.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You know, it's really easy to forget how fuckin gigantic The Rock is.

Partly because he gets more gigantic! Pain & Gain Rock looks like he could eat wrestler Rock.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Timby posted:

If you are young enough to have watched this cartoon in 2003-06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWaWvQuIVMI

You know who Deathstroke is, and you've probably been bitching that he hasn't been on TV for the last eight years :getin:

Burkion posted:

Wasn't just Robin either.

He also was straight up rapey with Raven in all the worst ways.

Frankly it's amazing they didn't go with the canon to the comics moment of him literally loving the 13 year old Terra.

I don't know why I'm touching this but Terra's age was stated to be 16.

Still gross and wrong, obviously! The early 80s were kind of a more different time than you might think.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 27, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What was it that was gross and wrong

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The cartoon was young.

Deathstroke is Slade Wilson, yeah? He was AWESOME in the otherwise general tween dumpsterfire that was WBs Green Arrow.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Drifter posted:

Deathstroke is Slade Wilson, yeah? He was AWESOME in the otherwise general tween dumpsterfire that was WBs Green Arrow.

Yeah, Slade Wilson, KNOWN IN THE UNDERWORLD AS DEATHSTROKE COLON THE TERMINATOR (created three years before the Jim Cameron movie, also). He's the best in the 'biz, but what they don't know is he's a 'merc with a Code of Honor! Slade was actually created to be an anti-hero at least partly in response to the rising popularity of Wolverine over at Marvel. He was an antagonist, but he was (supposed to be) somewhat admirable. He's a former supersoldier (though we don't know that at first) who knows ALL the martial arts and has bases and resources all over the world, a faithful omnicompetent butler AND a healing factor PLUS super-brain so he literally thinks faster than you and basically he is a Garth Mehrengi character put to ink.

Literally the start of his beef with the Titans is Slade's idiot son wants to be like his old dad, makes his own costume and goes on the black market as The TerminatorRavager, and takes a contract from H.I.V.E (yeah Arrow's been raiding the Teen Titans' rogues' gallery this whole time) who are basically Cobra as a front for a weird cult (well, Cobra in the G.I-Joe cartoon was a front for a weird cult.... nvm) and ends up fighting the Titans:

Yes that's Slade in the b/g with the pirate boots

Not only did this bozo not kill a single Titan, he literally dies by tripping over his own feet and falling into a gearbox or some poo poo. Slade Wilson acknowledges that his son was basically an idiot and that he has no real reason to dedicate the next several years of his life to killing the Titans at all costs buuuuut you see, CODE OF THE WARRIOR SOMETHING SOMETHING HONOR SOMETHING SOMETHING THE CONTRACT WILL BE FULFILLED

And this was the beginning of one of Detective Comics' classic anti-villains! It was a long winding path for Slade to become the iconic character he is today and achieve his ultimate destiny of being ripped off by Deadpool

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 27, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

What was it that was gross and wrong

Underaged girl loving a dude in his 40s. At least. Might have been older

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

And this was the beginning of one of Detective Comics' classic anti-villains! It was a long winding path for Slade to become the iconic character he is today and achieve his ultimate destiny of being ripped off by Deadpool

Probably my least favorite character in Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
In fairness to The New Teen Titans a lot of this stuff stands out because the books basically went, between 1980 and 1985, from being written for kids to (what the creators supposed was) a more "mature" audience (of teenagers who were like, so done with that kids' stuff maaaan). Like, the stuff about Slade being this ultra-cool Mac Bolan dude who goes on Safari in Africa and does karate classes in Japan between killing dictators and oil sheikhs for money is there when they're writing the comic as more of a kids' fantasy. Later on they do some stuff like: Slade thinks of himself as this globetrotting rogue-with-a-heart-of-gold who lives by a Code of Honor but he's really a rotten bastard who lost his family by being a huge dickwad. Of course later than that Slade basically goes full good-guy and the Titans just partner up with him and Nightwing's like "beneath it all.... he's a man of honor! (tm)" and he literally becomes like this fatherly mentor and it's... look, Late 80s New Titans had a lot of problems okay?

Also let's be clear this is what Slade looks like under the goofy mask:

Yes Slade relaxes by the pool in his armor because A TRUE WARRIOR IS ALWAYS PREPARED

So yeah the most charitable interpretation of showing him in bed with Terra is it's a skeevy fantasy of middle-aged Sean Connery magnetism or w/e. Just one more way Slade is Supposed To Be the Coolest Guy in the Room, Always. You could get away with a lot more of this kind of poo poo in that era than today (like, the Bond movies being Exhibit A) but in defense of early 80s comics readers that poo poo got called out immediately. In the letters page and the Comics Journal (which was basically the CBR dot com of pre-internet times) the writer Marv Wolfman apologized for it repeatedly.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 27, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

He's even worse in Injustice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm surprised they never retconned it by saying he was possessed by Jericho at the time or something.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Jericho would never do such a thing!

Well I mean yeah he did kind of pull a heel turn (eventually) but that was long after Wolfman was down to his last good idea.

e: "Who is Jericho?" you might ask. He was the ultra-hot new addition to the Teen Titans who was so important his big costume debut actually took place on the same page as Dick Greyson's new Nightwing persona.

"Thanks for making the moment you thunder-stealin' little poo poo" Dick said.

He's got a mutant power (there is no other explanation, sometimes DC just straight up rips off mutants as a thing from Marvel) that allows him to enter and possess the body of anyone he makes eye contact with, and his gimmick is he can't talk because of a vocal chord injury because Slade is a lovely, lovely parent. He is also super sensitive and artistic and not like those macho jerks and all the ladies pretty much swoon over him and seriously how did this guy not make the A-list for the 2003 cartoon?

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 27, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

The fight with him in Arkham: Origins was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Newspaper movie critics are starting to post their best/worst of 2016 lists, here's one who ranks BvS as the "biggest dud of the year".

:can:

• Locked thread