Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

DOMDOM posted:

My [25F] fiancé [28M] of 3 years was distant and rude towards my family on our Christmas break, just because he didn't get what he wanted

Dear reddit, my fiance is a miserable rear end in a top hat

She should dump this chode before she never has a fun Christmas again. The giant child will always ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pick posted:

That still means they have a problem, medicating should be done with medicine.

alcohol is cheaper and doesn't require prescriptions

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

With US Healthcare? Fat chance (like much of our population)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Besides what anti anxiety meds are they gonna prescribe, benzos? At that point you're probably better off just having a few beers at the party.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

poopnanners posted:

In what world is two drinks enough to "get a buzz going?"

like thirty pages ago there was a derail about avg. alcohol consumption - basically if you dont feel two drinks you're either an alkie or have problem drinking because the majority of people don't drink at all, or maybe one drink a month, and those people will definitely be feeling looser after two drinks. if you're a drinker most of the people you know and hang out with are probably also drinkers so it's easy to overestimate how much/many people drink

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The cheapest and arguably safest thing to self-medicate with is food, but we all acknowledge it's a problem when people self-medicate with that.

Alcohol is fine but you shouldn't need it for a party.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DOMDOM posted:

My [25F] fiancé [28M] of 3 years was distant and rude towards my family on our Christmas break, just because he didn't get what he wanted

He's a loving jerk and she should :sever:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pick posted:

The cheapest and arguably safest thing to self-medicate with is food, but we all acknowledge it's a problem when people self-medicate with that.

Seems kind of like a pedantic derail, I mean when someone says they need it are they saying they strongly prefer it or are they saying they'll roll into a ball and not speak to someone the entire night. If you only ever drink at social functions you probably do not have an alcohol problem.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

lol loving hell a party ain't a party without some sort of mind altering substance, goddamn girl hahahah

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Pick posted:

Agreed.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I cannot get my crush (23F) to unblock me on Facebook.

quote:

Any advice as to what I can do to get her to talk to me? I've sent her letters, nice messages. I'm lost without her

TLDR: my crush is being emotionally abusive by blocking me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh no

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Besides what anti anxiety meds are they gonna prescribe, benzos? At that point you're probably better off just having a few beers at the party.

Yeah, this. There's little difference between popping a prescription benzo and having a couple beers, only with the beers, you have a shot at not blacking out and acting completely insane.

With therapy, you can overcome the most severe symptoms of social anxiety, but it still clings with you. Guess what? Alcohol...is popular...because it loosens you up in, get this, social situations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

This dude needs to see the Black Mirror Christmas episode.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

So, any takers on if this guy already has a restraining order

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

HardDiskD posted:

Google is giving me 1.5m for 5'10'' and that's not tall at all? :confused:

I'm 5'11" and I feel like Attack On Titan around guys.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

DOMDOM posted:

I hope she kicks this abusive malcontent manchild to the curb because someone who can't have fun with her family on Christmas and yells at loving kids is far beyond reason. :sever:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Here's something sort of cute

quote:

Me [25 F] with my lifelong platonic friend [25 M] ended up being much more and now need to figure out how to tell our family's

We literally have been friends and neighbors our entire lives. There are photo's of us both sitting naked in a tub taking a bath together at the age of 2.

We grew up together and not once, EVER, did we cross any line of anything other than just being the best buddy's in the world. In fact I'm sure both of us on more than one occasion would say "ew gross" if someone else asked us about each other in that way.

We both went through all of high school and college with several different partners. I one time held him in my arms (like a sister) when a girl who he had dated for 2 years cheated on him and he cried like a baby with me. He has been there on oh so many nights listening to me complain about whatever my latest boyfriend would be doing that I did not like.

Then about two years ago he moved away for a job and I honestly felt like a family member left. We kept in touch at first but as months passed we texted less and less and eventually it was just every now and then.

Then back in October he came home to visit his parents and I saw him pull up in the driveway. His parents were gone at the time, he didn't know that. So I ran out to say hello.

Well hello became a hug, a hug became a looking into each others eyes, looking became a kiss, a kiss led to the most intense sex I've ever had in my life, intense sex led to me now being almost 3 months pregnant. Yes, I have no idea what either of us were thinking because protection just never even came up and after the first time it just seemed dumb to go look for protection the rest of that day.

Anyway it wasn't just a one time thing. We have been spending almost every single day with each other. He had a chance to get a job here and has been here since the last part of October.

It has been nothing short of heaen on earth for me. He say's he feels the same way. We have talked and both admitted that this was very unexpected and that neither of us had been holding a flame for each other all of these years. But it just seems so natural.

When I told him about the baby I was deeply afraid that it was going to be a no go for him, but to my shock he was thrilled.

On Christmas he proposed, yes I know people are going to say we are moving way to fast and I would normally agree but this case is different. We don't need to get to know one another, we already know one another.

We both want to be married when our baby is born.

Here is the kicker though. Just simply because of awkwardness we have not told our parents we are a couple. They know we have been spending a lot of time together but this is not new as we would see each other every day for the previous 23 years of our life before he moved away.

Our parents both love each of us. However they have never known us to be anything other than friends. Now we have to tell them but it won't just be "oh hey we are dating". It will be "oh we are engaged and btw your going to be grandparents".

I just don't want them thinking that we had been doing this all throughout our teenage years together.

Anyone ever dealt with this before and any advice would be appreciated.

tl;dr: lifelong friend and I recently connected romantically. We are now pregnant and even though the romance is new (less than 3 whole months) we have known each other forever and have decided to marry. We now have to tell each others parents and we are not sure how best to do it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
:3: aww

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

MageMage posted:

I'm 5'11" and I feel like Attack On Titan around guys.

You mean they scatter in panic while you try to swallow men whole? :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gaunab posted:

That's so cute. :3:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Sort of? It's the cutest. :3:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not cute is the forums deciding I wanted to double post.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I bet the parents have been expecting them to get together for a long time, too.

The longer they wait the worse it's going to be though, if she is 3 months preg then she will start showing soon if she isn't really fat and hiding a pregnant belly can be done but hiding a baby in 6 months is going to be a lot harder.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

I could either spend hundreds of my own out-of-pocket dollars on a psych who might possibly not be a piece of poo poo, who potentially takes anything I say seriously, and maybe gives me a prescription for whatever that could do me some good (and will likely also cost me a small fortune in upkeep)

OR

I could buy $20-30 of delicious beer a week. Gee, I wonder which sounds like the more feasible solution?

tl;dr: gently caress american mental health care.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HardDiskD posted:

Google is giving me 1.5m for 5'10'' and that's not tall at all? :confused:

It's pretty average, but insecure guys are used to girls being around their height at best and typically shorter.

As a 6'2 guy, I actually end up caught off guard by women who are around my height because I don't notice their height at first. I think my brain inherently sees people at my eye level as "normal" and it's only later that I realize that they're towering over all the other girls.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
medicating should be done only when necessary

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

Alcohol is medicine. :colbert:

dangerous and easily misused medicine, but one that will be used by mankind until the heat-death of the universe

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

It's pretty average, but insecure guys are used to girls being around their height at best and typically shorter.

As a 6'2 guy, I actually end up caught off guard by women who are around my height because I don't notice their height at first. I think my brain inherently sees people at my eye level as "normal" and it's only later that I realize that they're towering over all the other girls.

5'10" is half a foot taller than average so i don't know where you people keep thinking it's regular.

i'm 6'2" and love me some tall women but they're p rare.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

5'10" is half a foot taller than average so i don't know where you people keep thinking it's regular.

5'10" is average for men, you dunderhead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he was referring to the height of women.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

he was referring to the height of women.

Nope!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm 6'2" and love me some tall women but they're p rare.

A quick look at Wikipedia (lol) says the average American man is 5'9" and the average American woman is 5'3.5". I was gonna guess 5'10" and 5'4", so I wasn't too far off. So yeah, a 5'10" lady at least has a front row view of the Amazons over in outlier territory.

Who knew I was slightly above average at something? I'm a couple inches above... oh my stars and garters! I think I need to sit down and breathe some thicker air. This is all so sudden

E: average height for men and women varies by region, race and things like wealth and diet, too.

EE: the French lost an inch or two for a while because of the Napoleonic wars. Tall mans up front!

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 27, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No conent height derail chay.

I'm 6' and have only once met someone who towered over me my eye level was like shoulder level or lower on him) . it was a weird experience to go out to bars and hang out with him it was like I felt what people who were like 5'6" felt like in normal life.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What are these numbers in Real American?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
stats like those are useless. you need to look at the subset of the total population someone whos whining about height lives among and meets on a daily basis. its really dumb to wave distribution plots at a 5'10 guy who's living amongst 6'4 giants (giantposting btw) because of random chance/location/profession

instead, you should just mock them, imo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

its really dumb to wave distribution plots at a 5'10 guy who's living amongst 6'4 giants (giantposting btw) because of random chance/location/profession

Must suck to be a short dude working for an NBA team.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

This is actually incredibly cute and sweet and the best. :kimchi:

They should tell their parents immediately since I'm sure they were hoping their kids have been secretly dating all along. Besides, hiding a pregnancy and engagement is more awkward and pointless the longer they wait, especially when it's this adorable!!! :3:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
here's a content posted on a non-fake account with lots of activity

Me [F17] with [M25] I met online a few days ago, should I enter a side chick type relationship with this man?

quote:

So I met this man on a (secure) website. After messaging back and forth and moving to texting I found out that we're pretty compatible. He doesn't live where I live, but he visits a lot and basically he is looking for a side chick of sorts to hang out with (both sexually and non sexually) while he's here. He has a girlfriend back home.

Now I have no problem with the fact that I would be the other woman in this situation. And I'm not here to suffer people's wrath or judgement about that aspect of the situation. I just want some advice as I'm pretty young and I want to make sure there isn't anything I haven't though of before entering this type of relationship. Maybe someone with experience can offer advice.

What bothers me about the situation is that after I told him I'm 17 he was so okay with it. Their is a big age disparity between us and he was excited about the fact that we'd have to sneak around. Is that normal for someone his age? 17 is the age of consent in my state so what we're doing wouldn't be illegal.
Also I'm a little scared because I might be meeting him for the first time tomorrow. (I have hung out with guys that I've met on this site/app in the last though. I think I'm just more nervous because of his age) I don't have a car so he would pick me up from my house and the plan is to go get a quick lunch. If I want to hang out with him further he said that'd be great but if I just wanted him to drop me off he said that's completely fine too. This guy seems normal enough, just a college grad looking for what I'm assuming is a sugardaddy type arrangement. I'm just not sure what I'm getting in to as I've never done anything like this. Should I go for it? Is there anything I haven't thought about or has anyone been in a situation like this?

TL;DR. I'm 17, met a 25 year old man and I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into. Plans to hang out tomorrow but not sure if I should follow through with them. Could use some perspective and/or advice.

quote:

I don't think I'm a bad person. I don't always do the right thing, but I'm not a bad person.

quote:

Because I just don't care. Idk, to be honest I don't understand the big deal. Obviously cheating is a huge no no on this sub but I guess I've just formed different values and morals as I've gotten older. That's really the best answer I can give you.
Only at this:

quote:

Edit 2: I'm going to add this simply because I feel like you need to hear it: You already know the answer. Simply by asking the question you KNOW you shouldn't be doing this. If you did you wouldn't be asking strangers for their advice. You knew that this would be the response, so take the advice and listen. You already KNOW this is dangerous and leads down a rough and dangerous road. You can avoid it today by not going any further. You already KNOW where this goes. If you pursue it, yeah, you might get laid but there are a thousand other ways to get laid by someone who is worthy of respect and you will feel better about the next morning. Please do the thing you already know is right... and be safe. This guy sounds like the worst kind of guy.
One more thing: Imagine your best friend was this dude's girlfriend. What would you think of him then?
did she for some reason realize it's a bad idea