Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yup. Own a DRZ400SM, test ridden a CB500X twice.

I don't think the dynamics fall off that much vs the DRZ, the bike "feels" similar overall (weight, seating position, narrow chassis) and the CB500X is way more livable, smoother, better built, better on the highway, etc.

So the first kind of nicer. All that poo poo that makes biking a less cunty experience all-around. Which for a lot of people is perfectly good and makes it a stellar bike. Honda quality, economy, much much more refinement and carefully thought-through cleverness

But I think that if you're interested in getting a real feel and understanding of bike dynamics like verge seems to be, less weight and better suspension are the most important things. The dizzer is 50-odd kg lighter and has better suspension. Dirtybike geometry gives it that wonderful SM character so it's somehow both incredibly satisfying to thrash dramatically and learn skills on, whilst also being very hard to crash.

I suppose if you have a motorway commute reconsider getting a sumo, although a mate rode to the other end of NZ and back in a few days on a DRZ-S. He's in his 50's.

So I dunno. Test ride some bikes I guess.

Chichevache posted:

You said it better than I could. Amidst a sea of black or *PRIMARY COLORS* Husky stands apart. That white is clean as hell.

One day :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I don't know why, but sumos look so much better with slicks IMO.

Someday this will get me injured.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I already got my 701's fenders undersides full of Georgia red clay, it feels great going from street to dirt like it's nothing.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I already got my 701's fenders undersides full of Georgia red clay, it feels great going from street to dirt like it's nothing.

Gonna need some pictures of this dirty girl.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Coydog posted:

Whoa whoa.

I agree the mostly-white looks nice and clean; my issue is the accompanying colors.

If you're going to use white, you're already resigned to/decided on high-contrast stylings. The dark blue contrasts so sharply with the white, it looks desaturated by comparison. The blue also makes the yellow look almost sickly green.

They would have been much better off going with another neutral color (the only real choice in this case is a dark gray) and then going with a yolky yellow or orange as the middle color. Electric blue would also work.

White/dark gray/[bright warm hue] is a classic color combination.

*shrug* my opinionz. I haven't been looking at bikes for decades though so I'm sure I'm missing necessary historical design cues etc. And I wish my Honda looked that sharp.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Gonna need some pictures of this dirty girl.

I hosed her off real good afterwards

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think the color scheme is pretty rad

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I hosed her off real good afterwards

You are doing the lords work. This is fantastic.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

carcinofuck posted:

I agree the mostly-white looks nice and clean; my issue is the accompanying colors.

If you're going to use white, you're already resigned to/decided on high-contrast stylings. The dark blue contrasts so sharply with the white, it looks desaturated by comparison. The blue also makes the yellow look almost sickly green.

They would have been much better off going with another neutral color (the only real choice in this case is a dark gray) and then going with a yolky yellow or orange as the middle color. Electric blue would also work.

White/dark gray/[bright warm hue] is a classic color combination.

*shrug* my opinionz. I haven't been looking at bikes for decades though so I'm sure I'm missing necessary historical design cues etc. And I wish my Honda looked that sharp.

Wait... Don't you know that navy blue + polar white + washed-out yellow is the official color combo of Husqvarna? It would be like critiquing Kawasaki's lime green at this point.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

carcinofuck posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it actually is marker pen yellow and faded navy blue, not just the pairing with the white making them look that way.

Personally I really like it. White/blue/yellow is a solid palette, but using versions of the latter two colours that were warmer or closer to primary would make the bike look painfully dated, like a 90s windbreaker.

Using colder colours makes the whole thing seem more 21st century, which is to say, futuristic without being tryhard or cheesy. See also the use of the exact same yellow as a highlight colour on the vitpilen 401. (and I don't just mean that they used it, I mean the way it's applied sparingly and in a coherent shape that accentuates the lines of the bike)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 23, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
White motorcycles are an abomination unto God.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

I wish this look could make a comeback in a bigger way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kickin rad in your face coolness was the style of the 80's and 90's. Now we're into ironic post-grimdark-cool so that poo poo isn't cool anymore. I think. Kids these days with their motorbike design jobs :argh:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Kids these days with their motorbike design jobs :arghfist::saddowns:

FTFY

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

White motorcycles are an abomination unto God.

Agreed, and I think the 690 SMC is a much better looking bike, but it's objectively worse so the Husky gets a pass.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What bike should I buy

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

All of them.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

What bike should I buy

yes

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

What bike should I buy

Not a white one.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
A white one with desaturated blue and sickly green accents.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

A bright yellow inline four. :getin:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not a white one.

How does this make you feel? Be honest.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
It would look cool if all the white parts were the same dark grey as the seat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It would look cool if the lower half of the bike didn't exist/was off another bike. Body colour has very little to do with it one way or another IMO.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Too raked out

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Still too many dark colors, like every other bike since 1976.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0109/2532/products/IMG_1536.JPG?v=1435938836

It looks a little less try-hard in person, it seems like.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
^Gross.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't usually like naked bikes, particularly the modern ones with that recessed headlight that makes them look hunch backed, but I think the Monster is rather attractive :saddowns:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So I've been trying to get a sumo/gravel basher together for a while and for various reasons it looks like I'll end up with a Ktm. I've been predominantly looking at mid-00's 450 and 525 exc's, but just today a 400exc has turned up. I notice that they're only five speed and presumably have less power.

My question is: how much less power than a 450 with the same engine (old style lc4 with the screw tappet adjusters) would this thing have, and how badly would on-road performance suffer with only five gears? Would it be capable of highway speeds without blowing up?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

So I've been trying to get a sumo/gravel basher together for a while and for various reasons it looks like I'll end up with a Ktm. I've been predominantly looking at mid-00's 450 and 525 exc's, but just today a 400exc has turned up. I notice that they're only five speed and presumably have less power.

My question is: how much less power than a 450 with the same engine (old style lc4 with the screw tappet adjusters) would this thing have, and how badly would on-road performance suffer with only five gears? Would it be capable of highway speeds without blowing up?

Not much help but that bike doesn't have an LC4 engine; it's got an RFS.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Cross posting from the sumo thread. How do these wr250 r/x look? Looking to get more into sumo and off roading and want something light to play with. Primary bike is a r1200r which I use for commuting/touring/fun.

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/mcy/5907772441.html

https://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/5897110884.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/5932270175.html

Are any glaring issues or things to consider with any of these? FI is nice so I have been looking at the yahmahas over the DRZs.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Cross posting from the sumo thread. How do these wr250 r/x look? Looking to get more into sumo and off roading and want something light to play with. Primary bike is a r1200r which I use for commuting/touring/fun.

Are any glaring issues or things to consider with any of these? FI is nice so I have been looking at the yahmahas over the DRZs.

Uh, they look expensive. But really cool.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

How does this make you feel? Be honest.

"Okay you've got the primer on, when are you going to paint it red?"

However mostly what I feel is annoyed they never did the new Monsters in gloss black with a red frame because that was always the best-looking colour scheme, the Dark looks loving terrible in the flesh because of the matt black paint and black frame.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

The WRx is worth it over the DRZ, hands down. Of those listed, this is the one you want:

It has everything you will progressively want anyway, and is intelligently modified. I can see why they WANT $4900, and with all that it's certainly worth it. That said, none of the other craigslist idiots want to pay that, so neither should you. Try $4200. With the tubliss dirt wheels included, you'd steal it at $4000.

edit: Also go into it with the realization that he has been getting $2900 low balls for the past 21 days. Be nice, show that you actually know what a WR250x is and why it's not a WR250F, and they will likely be very willing to give you a good price.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 27, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Someone tell me why I shouldn't buy a low mileage blast from a dealer for 1200.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Someone tell me why I shouldn't buy a low mileage blast from a dealer for 1200.

There's a reason it's $1200, even if it isn't readily apparent.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oh boy do i know

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you're buying it to do something dumb that will probably end it, go for it. If you want a bike to ride, they kind of suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

There's a reason it's $1200, even if it isn't readily apparent.

I'm guessing the reason it is $1200 is possibly "it's a Blast".