Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tenderjerk posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Legend of Legacy? I know it got bad reviews for being too hard and obtuse but I know htis is basically a SaGa game, tho that doesn't guarantee it's playable

It's not bad because of the SaGa poo poo, it's bad because it's intensely boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Trophy tracking is actually the most hosed up social experiment in modern video gaming. I haven't done a ton of game browsing, but my personal favorite is Disgaea PC, where not even 40% of people who own the game have even played through the first chapter, less than 20% of people have beaten the fifth chapter, and only 5% of people have beaten the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/405900/achievements
The most interesting number there, to me, is that only 25% of the people who beat the fifth chapter actually beat the game. Talk about attach rates or whatever, that's just so low!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

tenderjerk posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Legend of Legacy? I know it got bad reviews for being too hard and obtuse but I know htis is basically a SaGa game, tho that doesn't guarantee it's playable

It's SaGa gameplay without a story. I was so ready to love it but I ended up losing interest after a few hours.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite part of achievement tracking is seeing that less than a tenth of people who played fallout: new vegas did the legion questline

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sounds normal. only 40% of trails in the sky owners have beat the prologue. only 58% of dark souls owners have lit a bonfire, the thing you do about 1 minute into the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean I'm gonna be fair to myself, I only bought Trials in the Sky FC on Steam to support it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Trophy tracking is actually the most hosed up social experiment in modern video gaming. I haven't done a ton of game browsing, but my personal favorite is Disgaea PC, where not even 40% of people who own the game have even played through the first chapter, less than 20% of people have beaten the fifth chapter, and only 5% of people have beaten the game.

How many people own a steam game they've never played

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

my favorite part of achievement Atracking is seeing that less than a tenth of people who played fallout: new vegas did the legion questline

They clearly did not understand Caesar's vision.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Return to Popolocrois is a war crime of videogame design

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looper posted:

Hi

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Looper posted:

All of them, probably, at least one game.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I mean, while New Vegas doesn't exactly railroad you, the way that Caeser's Legion is introduced kind of cements the idea that these are the bad guys, and then the narrative thrust of the game leads you away from interacting with them in any meaningful way besides shooting them until the very end, at which point why would you join them? There's a plausible shades of gray impression of the Legion there, particularly if you play a lot of the side content. But that's not really the one they put front and center for the players. That pretty much guarantees its going to be a replay choice for most people, and many people won't replay a 60 hour+ game.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!

The Colonel posted:

my favorite part of achievement tracking is seeing that less than a tenth of people who played fallout: new vegas did the legion questline

That number isn't surprising. The game had designated them as "bad guys" and I recall the gameplay up to that point made it hard to side with them, and if you did you were getting shafted loot-wise (I think all their crap was melee weapons, so ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh). But I don't even know for sure because I...never did any Legion questlines :negative:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Baby Babbeh posted:

I mean, while New Vegas doesn't exactly railroad you, the way that Caeser's Legion is introduced kind of cements the idea that these are the bad guys, and then the narrative thrust of the game leads you away from interacting with them in any meaningful way besides shooting them until the very end, at which point why would you join them? There's a plausible shades of gray impression of the Legion there, particularly if you play a lot of the side content. But that's not really the one they put front and center for the players. That pretty much guarantees its going to be a replay choice for most people, and many people won't replay a 60 hour+ game.

See, I went Legion my first run. Everyone talks about the Legion's introduction and for good reason. They make by far the strongest first impression of any of the factions in the game. But my reaction seems to be different from other peoples' since I told Vulpes "I admire the purity of the Legion's justice." What did I care if this town of assholes got killed when they tried to get a bunch of other people killed? All that happened was they got caught in their own trap.

The Legion are certainly not nice but this is a post-apocalyptic world and I was fresh off playing Fallout 3. A group that strings up raiders and helps bring peace to the Wasteland was all I wanted. House's brilliant plan was to put all the brutal tribes in suits and make them talk with bad accents. (Although I did like the theme of being obsessed with the "old world" that permeates the game. Caesar and House are simply the most blatant examples of it.)

Incidentally, there was supposed to be a lot more Legion content, including seeing some of the Legion's towns. Not military fortifications but actual civilian cities run by the Legion. People like Raul will tell you the Legion has made their occupied land a lot better than it used to be.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 27, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

100%

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

That number isn't surprising. The game had designated them as "bad guys" and I recall the gameplay up to that point made it hard to side with them, and if you did you were getting shafted loot-wise (I think all their crap was melee weapons, so ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh). But I don't even know for sure because I...never did any Legion questlines :negative:

Melee works fine in New Vegas. I beat everyone to death in the final mission with Old Glory.

I forget exactly what rewards you get for most Legion missions, though. All I can recall is you get a unique machete called Liberator if you wipe out this one NCR camp.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 27, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tenderjerk posted:

Even fans of SaGa games thought it was a boring game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not everything has to be shades of grey. Sometimes it's fine to have a faction that's just full of assholes and Caesar's Legion does a fine job being that.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Looper posted:

I own a bunch of poo poo I've gotten from Humble Bundles and stuff like that that were 2$ that I never installed, but no unplayed games that have costed me more than 20$. Disgaea seemed like a weird one for that demographic considering it's not a series people bandwagon onto like Dark Souls, so you'd think most people knew what they were getting into when buying it. It had to have been a case of people just buying it to support Atlus, 60% of people not playing the game at all is way too high.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I own a bunch of poo poo I've gotten from Humble Bundles and stuff like that that were 2$ that I never installed, but no unplayed games that have costed me more than 20$. Disgaea seemed like a weird one for that demographic considering it's not a series people bandwagon onto like Dark Souls, so you'd think most people knew what they were getting into when buying it. It had to have been a case of people just buying it to support Atlus, 60% of people not playing the game at all is way too high.

or people who liked later entries buying it because it's on pc and then realizing disgaia 1 is super loving dated

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
To be fair, Steam Achievements are regularly bugged so that is a factor too. Total War Warhammer has two achievements that have been bugged for months and are at like 0% completion worldwide.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Return to Popolocrois is a war crime of videogame design

Yes. Very. Especially considering the two pedigrees it comes from. I can't tell if they threw in the RPG to save a bare-bones farming game or threw in the farming to save a skeletal RPG but everything feels half-finished and rushed.

My favorite corner they cut was when they gave you a weak healer/caster character with an obviously ranged weapon but then made both his normal attacks and skills melee ranged.

That and the three bosses that they recycle for both random dungeons and plot bosses finally made me hang up my Popolocrois fanboyism and admit this is a horrible game that I wasted money on.

Edit: someone should LP it. I would but I can't even manage to make it through a good Popolocrois game LP much less a god awful one. But it's a good game to enjoy hating.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 27, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is Dragon Quest IV a good jumping in point for the series?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, it's not a bad one. It's a solid game that gives you a good feel for the franchise.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lets hang out posted:

sounds normal. only 40% of trails in the sky owners have beat the prologue. only 58% of dark souls owners have lit a bonfire, the thing you do about 1 minute into the game.

i've actually noticed the later souls games having some of the highest completion percentages i've seen, its the kind of series that end up only getting bought by hardcore fans i guess

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I've got a fair amount of older games I bought on a whim when they were like 70 percent off or part of a huge bundle and haven't played yet. Generally they're older games that I was interested in but not enough to buy them for full price when they came out. Shockingly, that's usually meant they're never at the top of my list to play over things I actually am excited about.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Deified Data posted:

It especially is if you play it on iOS so you can have party chat. (Party members talking/responding after anything happens - which is one of the most fun things about the DQ series and was inexplicably not translated for the DS version of 4) If you're not playing it on iOS, then party members will usually be silent.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i pretty much never go for the legion when i play new vegas because as much as, like, three characters in the game mention that they're pretty good at keeping their territory peaceful, pretty much everything else in the game you can find talks about how they're only able to maintain the infrastructure for it by essentially training people from birth to be brainless cannon fodder and forcing people into slavery

they do have some really fun quests though

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I recently played dq4 on ds, I didn't find out about the missing party chat until I was far enough in to not want to restart. It's a shame missing it but it's still a good and fun game if that's the only way you have to play it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

some guy on the bus posted:

It especially is if you play it on iOS so you can have party chat. (Party members talking/responding after anything happens - which is one of the most fun things about the DQ series and was inexplicably not translated for the DS version of 4) If you're not playing it on iOS, then party members will usually be silent.

I actually just ordered for the DS so I cancelled that when I read your post. Does Android have party chat too and does this trend of mobile being the definitive version continue for DQ V and VI?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Getsuya posted:

Yes. Very. Especially considering the two pedigrees it comes from. I can't tell if they threw in the RPG to save a bare-bones farming game or threw in the farming to save a skeletal RPG but everything feels half-finished and rushed.

My favorite corner they cut was when they gave you a weak healer/caster character with an obviously ranged weapon but then made both his normal attacks and skills melee ranged.

That and the three bosses that they recycle for both random dungeons and plot bosses finally made me hang up my Popolocrois fanboyism and admit this is a horrible game that I wasted money on.

Edit: someone should LP it. I would but I can't even manage to make it through a good Popolocrois game LP much less a god awful one. But it's a good game to enjoy hating.

it would be easy to lp since you can turn encounters and combat difficulty down and just breeze through it mindlessly, but god drat it's so boring

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Party chatter is nice but I'd rather not have to use a touch screen to move more.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Deified Data posted:

I actually just ordered for the DS so I cancelled that when I read your post. Does Android have party chat too and does this trend of mobile being the definitive version continue for DQ V and VI?

Android is the same as iOS, and the DS versions of V and VI both have the party chat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

A significant portion of the people who own it probably bought it to support NIS putting games on steam but have already played through it to their heart's content on PS2 back in the day.

Terper posted:

I mean I'm gonna be fair to myself, I only bought Trials in the Sky FC on Steam to support it.
Like this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Deified Data posted:

It was my first and I loved it a lot.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Deified Data posted:

I'm glad to hear it. Like most, mobile isn't how I would prefer it, but I think it makes a big difference.

Even something as little as seeing that the teleportal has an effect on the characters adds detail. Same goes for a character saying they hear the crowd's voices.

It's worth putting up with mobile controls to have Alena show off a ton of personality rather than be a mute.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The mobile controls haven't been bad so far, the game seems pretty forgiving about where you need to be in proximity to something to interact with it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I just put down Trails of Cold Steel (the first) after 40 hours and I'm pretty disappointed overall. Fortunately it didn't cost me anything because I burned through that time over the past week in the 7 day trial of PS now, fully expecting I'd subscribe for a couple months and follow it up with Cold Steel 2, but I just can't do it. The thing is, I decided I'd play it based on people talking about it in this thread and I have to ask, do people actually enjoy it?

The combat system is pretty good when it's challenging or you can find ways to break it on boss fights to make it funny. Which up to halfway through Chapter 5 was about a grand total of 7 battles I can remember off-hand. For the vast majority of the game the system is wasted by having you kill time spamming a button to kill people. 95% of my battles consisted of an opening move of three or four crafts, which would usually get most of the opposite locked down with seal, blindness, stone, freeze, whatever and the rest was just spamming the attack button to wade through their health pools. I could have definitely optimized my builds a bit better but aside from just resulting in me killing faster the game doesn't give you any good tools to figure out what will work thanks to needing to grind out Master Quartz levels to see end tier stats. That isn't to say crappy combat isn't a problem with the genre in general, more just I expected more from people saying there was more there when there clearly isn't.

The story was also subpar. The hint of something great was there but it was constantly teased or let down. By the middle of chapter 5 I hadn't learned anything noteworthy that wasn't apparent from the prologue. Each time a character has a big secret it ends up falling flat and ends up just leaving you feeling like the characters are mentally deficient for keeping it secret. In that sense I suppose the game does hold to the fact that these characters are teenagers but my god is it ever annoying. And even then with two chapters remaining there are still a couple open questions about characters when the game should have been knee deep in main story progression. Which, speaking of the main story, it'd be nice to find out when it actually starts. Presumably it's going to deal with the conflict between the two political factions and the "enemy" will be the Nobles with the Imperial Liberation Front guys. But any hint of that being a thing only came about in the last 30 minutes of chapter 4, over 30+ hours into the game and so far all signs point to a railroaded good vs evil scenario rather than an actual political story.

And finally, does anyone actually care about all the side quests and mini-NPC stories? All your interactions, including those with the main characters, end up being so mundate and boring but take up more than half your time in game that it's just silly. I feel like I'm playing the concentrated form of every soap opera and cheesy TV drama where an episode of content is rolled into a dozen panels of text in each side quest and little series of bonding events. Which wouldn't be so bad if it had anything at all to do with the greater story or was actually engaging, but it's just not.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

got another one :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nessin posted:

do people actually enjoy it?

Yes. Considering the way you phrased certain things I'm guessing you're not really interested in having a discussion, especially when you phrase it that way so I'll settle on saying "Yes, I enjoyed the game."

Considering that the game spends literally hours setting up the political situation and literally every single main character (except maybe poor useless Gaius) has a direct connection to the political and social situation of the country, it seems a bit strange to go "I bet they're not going to deal with politics" unless you intentionally ignored the story or somehow missed that those 'mundane' things were explaining the political elements in the context of the characters and story.

If it isn't your thing it isn't your thing but the game basically spends all its time building up the political situation through the lens of the characters and explaining why they're having conflicts. They spend their time building it up in relatively mundane ways but that is a feature, not a bug.

Edit: You are correct that the game is incredibly slow burn. CS1 doesn't really have an ending, it builds up to a climax which goes off into CS2. You are knee-deep in plot it is just that the plot is building up to other events. If it isn't your taste it isn't but "does anyone like this???" is pretty silly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 28, 2016