Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

100k damage loss in the New Mex because gently caress PUBBIES

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

The Prong Song posted:

EDIT: Man, you just really don't want to admit that American BBs are trash. And they are.

American BB's are totally fine. The SC, Wyoming, New York and New Mexico require you to use your brain, look at the matchup and figure out where to go in order to keep pressure on caps and your excellent firepower singing, since you are quite slow and have trouble repositioning. The Colorado is a solid brawler that has a cruiser-like rudder shift/turning circle and punchy guns. The North Carolina is a slim, demure ship which runs a fantastic stealth build, letting you avoid fire by becoming undetected whilst you pump your excellent firepower into enemy ships, and the Iowa excels at speeding into a position and pointing her bow forward, allowing her to survive for extended engagements.

The Iowa has become a bit more lackluster lately with the buffed Izumo essentially being an Iowa with better frontal armor and less superstructure, but it still does what the Izumo can't in terms of anti-air. People also really underestimate the extra turret on the Montana, which gives her an edge in firepower that can really put the pressure in lower tiered ships, whereas the Yamato excels in punching holes into any sort of armor, but suffers on the RoF and number of guns.

American battleships never stopped being good, they've just lost some shine to German BB's, which are way more forgiving and arguably funner to play with some builds (the North Carolina is a very good ship but I couldn't see myself choosing it over a Bismarck with the secondary build for just having fun in random battles, for example).

OSad fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 27, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, US BBs are anything but trash. Trash is stuff like the Pensacola, with no armor, no concealment, and unexceptional guns. Or the Myogi, or the many Japanese DDs that have been nerfed a million times.

NC has more accurate and higher caliber guns than Bismark, best in tier AA, better maneuverability, and better firing angles. Bismark has hydro and better tankability from broadside shots. The secondaries are fun to see light off, but practically they rarely do more damage than a single full main gun salvo.

Amagi has the best firepower but suffers on the AA front and has to expose far more broadside than NC to use it's guns.

I found the best use for Bismarck secondaries was to just set fires. Especially if there are multiple targets. Just set a fire, move on to the next target and spread fire around. Sometimes they seem to saturate sections as well and you don't even do any HE damage vs some Battleships.

In duels vs Norcals, I have found them to be pretty dangerous. Even though you never get citadeled, a full broadside of penetrating shots from a Norcal is almost as bad. Meanwhile I have missed broad side/semi broadside citadels due to dispersion even within 5km. I mean if it hits the Norcal is done like dinner but if it misses it seems like you are always behind in DPS per salvo

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The German BB line really has more stinkers than the US line does. The Germans get great ships at T6, 8, and 10, but the others are pretty blah. T5 and under has crappy popguns, T7 only has 6 guns, and T9 is just in an odd spot.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Jack_tripper posted:

you are buying admiral boxes. admiral boxes are not the correct choice.

Nope, captain's. I just have terrible luck.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, US BBs are anything but trash

Lord Koth posted:

Montana is arguably better at killing anything that's not a battleship than either of its two counterparts.

OSad posted:

American BB's are totally fine.

:hfive:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

The German BB line really has more stinkers than the US line does. The Germans get great ships at T6, 8, and 10, but the others are pretty blah. T5 and under has crappy popguns, T7 only has 6 guns, and T9 is just in an odd spot.

The Gneisenau owns. I average 90k damages in it. Just don't snipe with it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
NC in particular just has such great accuracy that you get those "Magic bullet" salvos where dispersion lines up and you get 6+ full penetration hits in a single volley way more often than in most other BBs.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

The Gneisenau owns. I average 90k damages in it. Just don't snipe with it.

Same, it's my best T7 BB tied with the Scharnhorst. It's fast and nimble, with decent armor and good AA/Secondaries. All this and torpedoes makes up for the 2 missing guns.
I hated both the Colorado (pre-buff) and Nagato (before the T7 friendly matchmaking) though.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Welp I finally broke down and bought some of those boxes.

Got a shitload of camo, 180 days premium, an Ishizuchi, and a Texas. Are those premiums any good? v:v:v

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

Welp I finally broke down and bought some of those boxes.

Got a shitload of camo, 180 days premium, an Ishizuchi, and a Texas. Are those premiums any good? v:v:v

The Ishizuchi has good secondaries but mediocre guns. The Texas is a New York with really good AA relative to its tier.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
And much better firing arcs on the middle turret making it safer and easier to have a full broadside at your disposal.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

OSad posted:

The Ishizuchi has good secondaries but mediocre guns. The Texas is a New York with really good AA relative to its tier.

The Ishizuchi is ok but it's seriously hampered by the fact that it's detection range is larger than it's firing range.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, US BBs are anything but trash. Trash is stuff like the Pensacola, with no armor, no concealment, and unexceptional guns.

The Pensacola has a lot of bad things going for it, but its guns are not one of them. It has approximately the same guns as on the New Orleans, except at broadside it brings 1 extra barrel to bear. At T7. The bad concealment + mediocre range combo is the real issue, not getting shot at is vital to CAs being able to bring real firepower to a fight, and that sort of necessitates them being able to get into range, turn themselves to a safe angle, then open fire. The Pensacola would be lucky if it could even get the "into range" part down. It also suffers from being a meme ship, as everyone is told constantly that the Pensacola is a floating citadel, so it attracts BB fire like a magnet, unlike other ships with similarly weak armor schemes, like the Russian CAs.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I loved the Pensacola. I did pretty well in it.

People think it's squishy and poo poo, so they show broadside. Then I citadel them loads or do 10k salvos against BBs. That AP is a monster, and the HE is no slouch.

But yeah, the only way to do well is to stick to islands and attack when the targets are occupied with something else, because as soon as they move out of their tunnel vision they'll start shooting at you. The only ship that gets more attention is the Omaha. Poor Omaha drivers.

If they would unfuck its ridiculous 15.3 km detection range, it'd be almost fixed and competitive. There is a premium about that is a Pensacola, but better. The Indianapolis has better armour, concealment, turret layout, firing range and it has radar too. It is simply a better Pensacola.

If you can do well in a Peniscola, the New Orleans will be smooth sailing.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

As much as I cursed and derided it, I cannot deny that I had more than a few good games in the Pepsicola. The trick, at least back when I played it, was to use MLG Rudder Mod 1 and never sail in a straight line.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The Moskva is insanely fun. Laser accuracy, fantastic pen, stalintanium bow, and my secondaries rock (with the 5 point skill). Downside, 18km spot range without firing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I have to stop. I did the Flamu video again. Note, last time I got Atago for 12 bucks, Kutuzov for 9:

This time, 9 dollars:

Someone stop me....

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Wargaming's income for this has got to be insane. With people throwing hundreds away trying to get a nikolai and/or gremy. Especially when there are people all showing proof of getting it not just here, but elsewhere like flamu's video.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Sperglord Actual posted:

As much as I cursed and derided it, I cannot deny that I had more than a few good games in the Pepsicola. The trick, at least back when I played it, was to use MLG Rudder Mod 1 and never sail in a straight line.

I saw one do this and it was beautiful. Ended the game without a scratch and was fun to watch.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought a USS Arizona and while it seems cool and powerful, I really don't have any idea how to play battleships. Keep my nose pointed at the enemy and turn slightly when I'm preparing to fire?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Der Shovel posted:

I bought a USS Arizona and while it seems cool and powerful, I really don't have any idea how to play battleships. Keep my nose pointed at the enemy and turn slightly when I'm preparing to fire?

Slow, but with lots of armor and good maneuverability. The Arizona is 12 middle fingers on a hull. Just sail at things, keep them at around 10km and maul the poo poo out of them.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Dumped the Gnevny. Just couldn't stand that BB turret traverse any longer. :byewhore:

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I find playing a BB during these holidays an absolute loving chore. In a DD, I can pick my own fights and assist the team in a way I see fit. In a cruiser I can tag along my big armoured tub bros and set fire to enemy BBs, delete other cruisers and provide radar/hydro against DDs. If poo poo hits the fan, I'll just MLG rudder until concealment kicks in.

In a BB with potatoes around me, I'm hosed. If I commit, but the pubbies decide to bail, I'm hosed. If there's a single DD holding a cap/chokepoint/whatever and my team refuses to smoke him out, I'm hosed and can't go in there. Etc.

When I'm on a decent team, I murder and wreck face. We might not even win, but at least I'll have had a good game and got lots of damage and maybe even a kill or two. In cruisers, I pretty much always get a good game, because I can dictate my own terms. When I'm on a potato team, well, gg. The amount of abysmal players during these holidays is staggering.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
I bought 4 captains chests yesterday and 2 today.
All of them were 25 of anniversary camo.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, US BBs are anything but trash. Trash is stuff like the Pensacola, with no armor, no concealment, and unexceptional guns. Or the Myogi, or the many Japanese DDs that have been nerfed a million times.

NC has more accurate and higher caliber guns than Bismark, best in tier AA, better maneuverability, and better firing angles. Bismark has hydro and better tankability from broadside shots. The secondaries are fun to see light off, but practically they rarely do more damage than a single full main gun salvo.

Amagi has the best firepower but suffers on the AA front and has to expose far more broadside than NC to use it's guns.

You don't play your Bismarck right then, my secondaries average ~30k a match. The NC is awesome for being able to face tank tons of damage, but the Bismarck still handily beats it out for being drat near immune to DD's. It's also a pain for CVs and is near immune to getting citadel'd.

Honestly, I'd put the NC down below the Amagi just because of those loving floaty rear end US shells.

OSad posted:

American BB's are totally fine. The SC, Wyoming, New York and New Mexico require you to use your brain, look at the matchup and figure out where to go in order to keep pressure on caps and your excellent firepower singing, since you are quite slow and have trouble repositioning. The Colorado is a solid brawler that has a cruiser-like rudder shift/turning circle and punchy guns. The North Carolina is a slim, demure ship which runs a fantastic stealth build, letting you avoid fire by becoming undetected whilst you pump your excellent firepower into enemy ships, and the Iowa excels at speeding into a position and pointing her bow forward, allowing her to survive for extended engagements.

The Iowa has become a bit more lackluster lately with the buffed Izumo essentially being an Iowa with better frontal armor and less superstructure, but it still does what the Izumo can't in terms of anti-air. People also really underestimate the extra turret on the Montana, which gives her an edge in firepower that can really put the pressure in lower tiered ships, whereas the Yamato excels in punching holes into any sort of armor, but suffers on the RoF and number of guns.

American battleships never stopped being good, they've just lost some shine to German BB's, which are way more forgiving and arguably funner to play with some builds (the North Carolina is a very good ship but I couldn't see myself choosing it over a Bismarck with the secondary build for just having fun in random battles, for example).

All of this is basically saying "US ships are good if the person playing them is good" which can be said about drat near any boat. The definition of "good" here, based on the original question is really more "which ships are easy for me to be bad in and still win", which precludes pretty much every US BB T7>

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 28, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

All of this is basically saying "US ships are good if the person playing them is good" which can be said about drat near any boat. The definition of "good" here, based on the original question is really more "which ships are easy for me to be bad in and still win", which precludes pretty much every US BB T7>

The original question was this

Cippalippus posted:

Speaking of high tier gameplay: what are the obvious turds?

The US BBs are not that.

Also, what ships fit the criteria you describe? What ships allow you to be bad and still win? Even technically 'easier to play' BBs like the Bismark can still get easily deleted if you play badly contributing nothing to your team. In fact, Bismark drivers often times mistake turtle back armor for invulnerability and they eat massive salvos. It happens all the time. You still need to play pretty good to win.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So after some googling Reddit has a spreadsheet that says there's a 23% chance of a ship per $3 box and 23.2% for every $5 box.

0% from $1 boxes.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

The US BBs are not that.

Also, what ships fit the criteria you describe? What ships allow you to be bad and still win? Even technically 'easier to play' BBs like the Bismark can still get easily deleted if you play badly contributing nothing to your team. In fact, Bismark drivers often times mistake turtle back armor for invulnerability and they eat massive salvos. It happens all the time. You still need to play pretty good to win.

They are turds though unless they're played by good players who know the specifics of how you have to play them. A dumbass in a Yamato can still do very well showing broadside left and right, a dude in a Montana doing that will get citadeled by a Gneis.

"technically 'easier to play'" is the entire point dude.

-edit-

Holy poo poo, I've dropped almost $175 on santa's boxes because I have a gambling problem and I've gotten some pretty good ships (Simms, Blys, Ishi, Arizona, Indianapolis, Gremy, Anshan, Emden, and Tirpitz, and 1year of premium and ~18k doublouns... after reading this I think it's a good deal?). Which is pretty good, but I just did the Flamu trick and $36 got me a Warspite, Atlanta, Lo Yang, Atago and 2k gold... it's real!

The Warspite looks so cool but my very first game had 2x carriers on each side... I died fast.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 28, 2016

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

For 200€ (240$) I got 0 days of premium, 5000 gold, Indianapolis, Prinz Eugen and Ishizuchi, plus thousands of camos. :smith:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cippalippus posted:

For 200€ (240$) I got 0 days of premium, 5000 gold, Indianapolis, Prinz Eugen and Ishizuchi, plus thousands of camos. :smith:

goondolences. But there has to be somebody on the wrong end of that bellcurve

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Bought 1x $3 box today with flamu vid and got the Nikolai. I'm stopping here.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ice Fist posted:

The US BBs are not that.

You guys are just arguing semantics. Every ship in the game has strengths and weaknesses that you need to maximize and minimize in order to do well. That much is obvious. It is also obvious that there are tons of ships where mistakes are punished more severely and good play is rewarded less generously vis a vis other ships.

I mean the Bismarck and its secondaries are the most obvious. Can you assign manual targets and grind up a 15 point captain? Congratulations!!!! If you are you halfway competent and don't show your broadsides to every battleship that shows up at every single opportunity, its a free 20-40k damage per match between hits and fires alone.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

JacksLibido posted:

You don't play your Bismarck right then, my secondaries average ~30k a match. The NC is awesome for being able to face tank tons of damage, but the Bismarck still handily beats it out for being drat near immune to DD's. It's also a pain for CVs and is near immune to getting citadel'd.

Honestly, I'd put the NC down below the Amagi just because of those loving floaty rear end US shells.

Sure, but 30k damage is a single good main gun salvo. (I think the secondaries are definitely a huge advantage, because people spaz the fuuuuck out when they get pelted endlessly, they just don't do all that much damage in the scheme of a BB). The floating shells are definitely a good advantage since plunging fire is great against other BBs, too.

The reality is that all the t8s are pretty well equivalent, and none of them are turds. The bismark is better if you're a moron, but if someone's posting here at all they're probably not completely brain dead.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

They are turds though unless they're played by good players who know the specifics of how you have to play them.

This doesn't make any sense at all to me since I feel like every ship is pretty bad if not played to its strengths, but okay.

Anyways, you don't like 'thing' and I can't make you like 'thing' more so that's that. I'll still gleefully tell anyone who asks that the US BBs are great ships (even if the Iowa and Montana are in need of a buff).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The Iowa has a buffed version, it's just called the Missouri :v:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I have run out of a certain type of flag needed to keep playing my Bismarck. Is the premium shop the only option other than grinding containers?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

This doesn't make any sense at all to me since I feel like every ship is pretty bad if not played to its strengths, but okay.

Anyways, you don't like 'thing' and I can't make you like 'thing' more so that's that. I'll still gleefully tell anyone who asks that the US BBs are great ships (even if the Iowa and Montana are in need of a buff).

Really? You can't tell the difference between 'go full speed ahead and shoot everything' vs 'stay nose on, keep high levels of SA to ensure you don't show anything other than nose on, and lead for days because your shells float forever'? That's cool man, I should have known better than to try and argue with goons.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Sure, but 30k damage is a single good main gun salvo. (I think the secondaries are definitely a huge advantage, because people spaz the fuuuuck out when they get pelted endlessly, they just don't do all that much damage in the scheme of a BB). The floating shells are definitely a good advantage since plunging fire is great against other BBs, too.

The reality is that all the t8s are pretty well equivalent, and none of them are turds. The bismark is better if you're a moron, but if someone's posting here at all they're probably not completely brain dead.

Dude, I wish I could shoot like you, I barely tap 30k on a citadel. I'm averaging 95k/match on my Bismark, with a solid third of that being secondaries. They're definitely a major selling point of this ship. Them and the sonar, since together they make you a DD's nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Ok. Holy poo poo do I approve of the Nikolai.