Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 42: Foreseeing the North

Route 6

Mmm, such a good tune. Since there's only one way to go, might as well go this way.

"world."

Did you guess what Pokemon he had?

: Isn't it cute enough to make your heart melt?

"world."

So kawaii

: Isn't it cute enough to make your heart melt?

Those two trainers are Crystal exclusive and I have no idea why.

So we have to go through Saffron City to deal with the fact the Underground is closed? What a twist!

"MAGNET TRAIN!"

: ...That's what I'd normally say, but the MAGNET TRAIN isn't running now. It's not getting any electricity because there's something wrong with the POWER PLANT.

Saffron City

Well it seems Kanto is right hosed by no power, dunno how they managed 3 years ago, but anyway, since we're here...

: ...

: ...?

: ...?!

: It may lower the target's SPCL.DEF.

loving FINALLY. Now Helios has a useful STAB move and is now a solid special attacker. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's the best we've got. The fact that this TM is so late in the game is probably why people dislike this gen so much, obviously.

Wanna explore 11 floors?

"OFFICE BUILDING."

Aw man, they removed the fountain.

"upstairs."

: But since you came such a long way, have this neat little souvenir.

: It's SILPH CO.'s latest product. It's not for sale anywhere yet.

Let's see what else we've got.

: Her mimicry has earned her the nickname COPYCAT around here.

: No, not me. I asked you. Pardon? You're weird!

Looks like she's still the same, though without the Mimic TM.

: MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL, WHO'S THE FAIREST ONE OF ALL?

Aw yeah, let's kick some Fighting asses.

: KARATE KING, the FIGHTING DOJO's master, is in a cave in JOHTO for training.

Oh right, we've already kicked some Fighting asses. Well, least we can pick up a 10% chance to survive a hit with 1HP. Greaaaaaat...

Gym Leader? Eh, why not, this update has barely started.

Pokemon Gym

: A trainer as skilled as you don't need to be told how to deal with psychic-type POKéMON, right? I expect great things from you! Good luck!

Jim Gui is really not trying anymore... but whatever, the gym layout is still exactly the same. Here's a refresher from the last LP and like before, A-B-H-M is the quickest path:

"comes to me!"

HP: 85 | ATK: 73 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 73 | SP.DEF: 115 | SPD: 67 | TOTAL: 483
#088: Hypno

The best numbers, the greatest numbers.

"soul."

We don't need another Sleep move, you can stick to Stun Spore against opposing trainers.

"your abilities."
"this city's GYM."

You're all monsters. Super effective monsters.

Mmm, delicious

"SABRINA."

If you read that the wrong way, you might think he was referring to recent events. But no, he's just a weird worder.

Ah poo poo, try not to look too deeply.

"would lose to you."

Why would you even predict that.

There's only four trainers in this gym anyway, down from six last gen. Kanto budget cuts man.

: Three years ago I had a vision of your arrival. You're after my BADGE. I don't enjoy battling, but it's my duty as a LEADER to confer BADGES on anyone who has proven him- or herself worthy. Since you wish it, I will show you my psychic powers!

Gym Leader Battle (Kanto)

Sabrina: The Mistress of Psychic Pokemon!
(Sabrina sounds vaguely like psychic, or a combination of Abra and brain. It could be based off Sabrina The Teenage Witch, which debuted in comic form in 1962 and TV form in 1996. But who knows for sure. Natsume is the Japanese name for the jujube (or date) tree.)

So while Sabrina only has three Pokemon, they do hit really hard. However, since the only attacking move any of her Pokemon have is Psychic, aside from Espeon, Dark types more or less wall her. But we don't have one of those.

Ah jesus gently caress christ

Next!

It's not the best use of Psychic, but goddammit Helios has a good move now and I'm gonna fuckin' use it.

Very cute.

HP: 55 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 45 | SP.ATK: 135 | SP.DEF: 85 | SPD: 120 | TOTAL: 490
#091: Alakazam

Alright, this might become a problem. Well, it would be more of a problem, if its level was higher, but thankfully it's not.

You wanna do this dance? Cause even with the Reflect, I still 2HKO you. Goddamn Churchill hits hard...

Even the smartest of moustaches falls to the strongest of doggies

: It far exceeds what I foresaw... Maybe it isn't possible to fully predict what the future holds... OK, you win. You earned yourself MARSHBADGE.

Pokemon Gym

: MARSHBADGE draws out your subliminal powers... Although I failed to accurately predict your power, this much I know to be true. You will be a celebrated and beloved CHAMPION!

: The power of love, I think, is also a kind of psychic power...

Thanks to you, I guess? Well, we're now done with Saffron City, so let's keep heading north!

Route 5

Let's see what's on Route 5

Cerulean City

And that was Route 5, welcome to Cerulean everybody.

Route 5

Ah just kidding, let's see what's in this house.

:stare:

: I sense a sinister shadow hovering over you. Take this to ward it off!

"are protected now."

Uh, thanks? The Cleanse Tag reduces the encounter rate if you give it to your lead Pokemon for Pokemon that are lower level. It doesn't remove encounters, just heavily reduces them, but the only info that I can find is by 33% in Gen 4, so maybe that's how it applies in all gens. I don't fuckin know.

Cerulean City

Alright, let's see what Cerulean has for us.

Definitely has a weird selection of items. Again, if I really need something, I'll probably just Fly to Indigo Plateau.

We've got yet another gym, so what the hell, let's take it on!

O-oh. There's no one here. Alrighty then.

: The BIKE SHOP has moved to GOLDENROD CITY in JOHTO...

Route 4

Just gonna do a quick visit to Route 4 since, like in Gen 1, it's a one way route going right.

Wild Pokemon (Kanto)

Thankfully we don't have to wait until Mt Moon to find this Pokemon, but this is the earliest you can find Clefairy.

I also wanted to finally put in the wild battle music. But man, why is all the Kanto music so good?

Cerulean City

Well this guy won't tell us about the badges' effects, cause, well, there are none. We've got all our boosts and level obedience, so they're just something to collect. Don't even get a drat TM from most of them. Pretty rubbish, but hey, it's some fun battling, why not.

Ah poo poo, now where am I gonna catch my level 65 Ditto?

: Ayuh? My ITEMFINDER is responding...

: Stamp out thievery and make the city a friendlier, more cheerful place! CERULEAN POLICE

Aww, when can I finally catch one of these drat things?

"skulking about."

: I won't stand for it if he turns out to be a thief.

Route 9

Now we're definitely not as hemmed in as it may seem, a good chunk of Kanto is available to visit right off the bat, you can go between Cerulean and Fuschia. But to really open up the rest of the region, we need to solve the Power Plant problem, so off we go.

"behind."

Hey, as a JRPG protagonist, I pick up everything drat thing I see.

Ah poo poo there's tree huggers everywhere.

If you tell me where some rubbish is I'll happily put it into my bag to never use.

"my mistake."

Unfortunately, a fair amount of Kanto trainers aren't very interesting and the routes feel just a little smaller than usual, so it's pretty easy to just skip around and not spend too long in one place.

High voltage. Hmm, I think I've made that joke before.

: I'd better take them to a POKéMON CENTER right away.

You drive a hard bargain, but very well.

"river."

I don't think this Ether was part of the secret, but it's still good.

"when she comes..."

: MT.SILVER is in JOHTO, right?

There's no room for a musical number in this game, friend.

So long as it's not camping, I'm definitely into it.

Phew, that's all the trainers and while none of them had any interesting new Pokemon, it's still good experience.

If there's not a goddamn Zapdos at the end of this river I'll be upset.

Ehhhhhh, I'll take it. Least that's another baby Pokemon I can cross off the list. Uh, once we can get back to Johto, of course.

Guess we'll have to find the Zapdos elsewhere...

But at least we've made it to the Power Plant. And next time, we'll see about fixing whatever problem these dumb bozos can't do themselves. See ya!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

As an aside, there's still ONE slot for Battle Tower 1-3, TWO slots for Battle Castle 4-7, TWO slots for Battle Arcade 1-3 and THREE slots for Battle Arcade 4-7.

:siren: Gimme some Frontier Pokemon, you know you want to! :siren:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Hope you are having a good Christmas Crosspiece; here's an early 'present'!
Santa the Delibird
Level 50, Battle Tower
Naughty,Male, Hustle
(You choose EVs for all of them; I'm still not sure how those work exactly, can you tell)
Present
Blizzard
Endure
Fly
Item: Nevermeltice
Rudolph the Stentler
Level 100 Battle Castle
Bold, Intimidate, Male
Take Down
Flash
Rest
Sleep Talk
Item: Quick Claw
Cornelius the Abamasnow
Level 100, Battle Castle
Male, Adamant, Snow Warning
Blizzard
Wood Hammer
Iron Tail
Focus Blast
Item: Scope Lens
(Feel free to tweak them because the Castle is tough)
Also, Merry Christmas again!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Cheers, friend, I shall take the Delibird and the Abomasnow, though Stantler may be entered if there's a slot to fill. Hope everyone had a good Christmas also. I guess you guys want a festive update then, you savages? Well it's just an update, there's nothing really Christmassy about Gen 2 aside from Ice Cave.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 27, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 43: Solving Current Problems

Alright, here's the goddamn Power Plant, so what's the drat problem dammit?

drat.

"DUGTRIO?"

Another weird trade for a Dugtrio, just like the last game. You could have obtained a Magneton by now, since you could find Magnemite on Route 38. I'll be sure to not forget about this Dugtrio trade this time.

"someone!"

: Who would dare ruin my generator? I spent so much time on it! If I catch him, he's going to get a taste of my ZAP CANNON!

Maybe we should help before the manager creates his own power through steam...

: It appears that a shady character has been loitering around.

Well, Cerulean is a quick fly from here, so why not.

Is the Gym open yet?

Gah! People from Kanto are so rude.

"okay?"

: I very busy. No time for talking with you. Not good for me if seen by somebody.

: Oh no! You seen me already! I make big mistake! Hey you! Forget you see me, okay? You see, hear, know nothing, okay? Bye, kid! Nothing! Bye-bye a go-go!

Route 24

I liked that guy so much I'm gonna follow him forever.

"kind of guy!"

: Come from another country, a trainer number one, me! Think I did, if stop the energy, be big panic for here people! Secret it is my mission, so tell you I not! But! If win you do versus me, a man I be and mine secret to you I tell. Hey, kid! Battle begin we do!

The final Rocket grunt of the story and like the only good part of Neo Team Rocket.

Well that was fun.

"can't!"

: Strong very much be you! Match I am not to you!

: MACHINE PART steal by me, hide it I did in GYM of CERULEAN. Inside water put it I did. Look for in water center of GYM at.

: Beat you for sure will TEAM ROCKET. Come from JOHTO will they, mine friends, yes. Will revenge they are.

: You say what? TEAM ROCKET bye-bye a go-go? Broken it says you? Oh, no! Should I do what now on from, me?

And now we can solve the Power Plant Problem (tm), but since we're already on Route 25, let's head to the Sea Cottage.

"fabulous prize!"

: Think you've got what it takes?

This seems familiar, maybe this won't be so bad.

...ugggggggggggggggggggggggggh

There's a load of trainers in a row here, let's skip them, cause they're bad.

Well that was fun.

: I have nothing to do with the six-pack trainers. I waited here to beat you when you were tired out by the battles.

No

Neat, something for the pile.

: How about it? Let me take you on.

But for me it was a, uh, December 27th.

: You and your POKéMON are truly outstanding!

I'm being told that a lot and with everyone having real low levels, it feels a little patronizing.

Oh? This should be good.

Oh, uh, whoops

: Do you know what they call people like you? Pests! You heard me right, pest! ... ...Oh? Those BADGES you have... Are they JOHTO GYM BADGES?

: OK, then. Come to CERULEAN GYM. I'll be happy to take you on. I'm MISTY, the GYM LEADER in CERULEAN.

Well now we have two reasons to go the Gym. But hey, let's go see Bill, it's been a while.

Oh god Bill got old since we last saw him in Goldenrod. Another failed experiment?

: He's in JOHTO. He does something with PCs, so I'm house-sitting. My grandson BILL told me about a POKéMON that has a long tongue. If you have that POKéMON, may I see it please?

We'll be back to this old geezer later, since he wants to see some specific Pokemon that results in some neat evolution stones. He wants to see a Lickitung, a Growlithe, an Oddish, a Pichu and a Staryu, all Pokemon we have, though we wouldn't technically have a Pichu by this point in the game.

Down by the now collapsed entrance of Cerulean Cave's Unknown Dungeon, we can find the Berserk Gene. Best explanation for this item is it's a consumable Swagger, boosting your Attack by two stages and confusing you. Just, uh, use Swords Dance or something, the confusion aspect of this item makes it garbage and inferior to other held items that actually help you.

Unfortunately, we can't head to Mt. Moon from here. So we'll have to find another way.

Pokemon Gym

: Since MISTY was away, I went out for some fun too. He-he-he.

"nerve you."

Please stop talking in that way towards a 10 year old girl.

: MISTY will destroy you if you get complacent.

Alright, all that's left to do is head back to the Power Plant. Well, after the Gym, Kanto can be without power for just a little bit longer, right?

First? Y-yeah, first.

"past few years."

: Don't let your guard down, or you'll be crushed!

"with it!"

Jeremiah making a splash

Water types are a little tricky for this team, since we don't have an actual Electric type, so maybe Misty might be a bit of a challenge.

"pest!"

: You may have a lot of JOHTO GYM BADGES, but you'd better not take me too lightly. My water-type POKéMON are tough!

Gym Leader Battle (Kanto)

Misty: The Tomboyish Mermaid
(Obviously from mist, while Kasumi is literally kasumi, mist, or umi, sea, or kasumisō, the plant baby's breath)

Golduck hits hard with Surf and Psychic and may copy your early game stat boosts? Well it's not too interesting.

No no, stop that. It can hit pretty hard with Earthquake and it will set up some rain given the chance. It still doesn't let its Surf hit very hard, though.

I dunno why I used Stun Spore, maybe because I haven't really used it much.

This should stop the Lapras pretty hard, now your Water moves are useless!

Oh poo poo, not useless Ice moves!

Ah, maybe they are useless after all.

It could've gotten rid of the sun, but decided not to? Also Perish Song is useless for the AI, so if you're having trouble, maybe it might randomly use it.

Okay, this guy might be a problem, since Starmie usually are. Especially since it actually has some moves unlike its Gen 1 counterpart. Still has an allergy to Psychic moves for whatever reason.

But uh, Helios is just really good.

: I'll admit that you are skilled. Here you go. It's CASCADEBADGE.

Pokemon Gym

: I'm going to travel one day, so I can battle some skilled trainers.

: As always, that was one heck of a great battle!

It only took three goddamn updates, but we're finally completing this drat thing, dammit.

: That's the missing PART from my beloved generator! You found it? Wahah! Thanks! Here! Take this TM as a reward!

: It's a powerful technique! It's not what anyone would consider accurate, but it packs a wallop! Keep pumping the electricity out!

Zap Cannon (Denjihō: Electromagnetic Cannon) is a powerful Electric move with 100BP, 5PP and 50% accuracy that will always paralyze the target. It would be great if the accuracy wasn't so poo poo. So if you like coinflips, go ahead!

So after a fast energy fuelled update, now to end it on a bad note. See, Rock Tunnel is completely optional in this game, a few places are, actually. But there are a couple of good reasons to come here. Just a couple though.

Rock Tunnel

The route boundaries are so hosed, Rock Tunnel is now on Route 9. It's also really dark, so it's time to Flash.

Much like Gen 1, Rock Tunnel is a straight line, but it's even smaller and less interesting than it was before.

There's a few items here and there, but there's no trainers of interest. Nor any exciting strength puzzles, thankfully.

Here are some screenshots of Rock Tunnel. I assume they have some context.

On the bottom floor, there are some nice items and, finally, some new Pokemon.

Okay, one new Pokemon since technically we obtained a Cubone way back at Goldenrod's Game Corner. If you didn't get one then, now is the earliest you can catch one.

So do I need to breed this Kangaskhan to get the baby or what?

This looks like the end. I can't bloody tell. The amount of screenshots of this place makes me believe this is the end.

Ah, something good. Steel Wing (Hagane no Tsubasa) is a Steel move with 70BP, 25PP and 90% accuracy that has a 10% chance of raising Defense by one stage. As far as Steel moves go, it's the best distribution you've got, so pick wisely. Not that Steel coverage does a huge amount, but it's still something different. Of course, no one on our team can learn it, but it's not a big deal.

Good, we're done. Thank god.

Oh god

: Ahahah-CHOO!

Get in there bulldog! gently caress yeah! Oh, Pokemon? Yeah, it's alright, I guess.

: I won't forget this.

Oh, er, let's leave that grudge behind by exploring Lavender Town in the next update. Wait, poo poo!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

As a now not so subtle aside, there's ONE slot for Battle Castle 4-7, TWO slots for Battle Arcade 1-3 and THREE slots for Battle Arcade 4-7.

Next update will be Battle Factory, so there's still plenty of time to come up with stuff.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Team Rocket's final stand

a single trainer with a level 30 golbat.

quote:

Much like Gen 1 ... but it's even smaller and less interesting than it was before.
thats it, thats the entire post game

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

As a now not so subtle aside, there's ONE slot for Battle Castle 4-7, TWO slots for Battle Arcade 1-3 and THREE slots for Battle Arcade 4-7.

Next update will be Battle Factory, so there's still plenty of time to come up with stuff.

Would you mind posting the teams (just the Pokemon species is fine, no need for the full writeups)? I honestly can't remember who we've already picked and don't want to duplicate or saddle you with some super-unbalanced team.

Battle Arcade 4-7 (assuming he's good enough, toss his rear end down to 1-3 if you need to)
Latios "Lati???s"
No item in Arcade, but if you have to shift him elsewhere, King's Rock
EV's: Sp At / HP / Speed
Nature: Modest
Dragon Pulse, Psychic, Recover, and uh...Safeguard (?)

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 28, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ARGH! The Pokemon LP curse strikes again!

Look at that difference. As you entered the gym, you hit the "make all screenshots fuzzy" setting again. After getting used to the crisp screenshots this annoys me more than it should. I just hope it'll be fixed next update.

...Yes, I'm still enjoying this LP, don't worry. :)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Berserk Gene in this game. :stare:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Berserk Gene in this game. :stare:

It's one of the weirder things in the game. There's a grand total of one, it's a consumable item so once you use it it's gone, it's hidden and in a route you have no reason to go into because the Cerulean Cave is not there anymore, and it never reappeared unlike most items.

Also the only good Neo Team Rocket member is the one from Unova, surprising no one because everything from Unova is great. He reappears in those games, having formed a family and given up evil, and that's cute and nice.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

Would you mind posting the teams (just the Pokemon species is fine, no need for the full writeups)? I honestly can't remember who we've already picked and don't want to duplicate or saddle you with some super-unbalanced team.

There's a lot of Pokemon to choose from and there's only been like 13 entries, so statistically, you won't choose something someone else has. And since I'm forcing people to submit good stuff for the 4-7 battles, I shouldn't have any problems clearing this place. I only need to get a certain streak, I'm not worried, I'll use whatever.

Carbon dioxide posted:

ARGH! The Pokemon LP curse strikes again!

I believe the media player window got resized without me noticing, so the images came out fuzzier than normal. But by the time I noticed, I was about 150 images deep and didn't feel like retaking them. My bad, but it should be fine for the next update onwards and I'll try and keep careless clicking to a minimum so I don't accidentally make the window smaller.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

rannum posted:

Team Rocket's final stand

a single trainer with a level 30 golbat.

Archer sucks so hard that it's up to a random Grunt with a speech impediment to be Team Rocket's last hope.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I figured this guy is actually a Rocket fanboy from another Region altogether, who heard a lot of cool stuff about them, travelled to Kanto to join them, already dressed up like them... just to hear from a kid who beat his rear end that Team Rocket is actually permanently gone now.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 43.5: The Battle Factory

Battle Factory

Hello everyone and welcome to the first of five Battle Frontier updates. We're starting with the easiest facility to get into and maybe the only facility you can really have fun with as a casual player: the Battle Factory.

: First, we will hold your Pokémon in exchange for you renting our Pokémon. May I suggest choosing Pokémon after appropriate deliberation?

So instead of using your own competitive Pokemon after tedious grinding and breeding and move tutoring and all that garbage, you can just jump right in with three Pokemon used by opponents in the Battle Frontier! Not only is this a great way to just have some fun battling with loads of different Pokemon that you don't need to make yourself, it's also a great learning tool to use and indeed fight Pokemon you'll be encountering in the other four facilities. But there are some downsides, which we will get to in a moment. First, let's see what makes a Frontier Pokemon tick.

Just to add to the variety of Pokemon you'll face in the Battle Frontier, there are 950 different Pokemon sets in the Battle Frontier, as well as 320 trainers that have a pool of Pokemon to choose from out of that 950. A clear list of all the Pokemon found in the Battle Frontier can be found here and a list of trainers can be found here.

We'll talk about the various tiers in a moment, but all Pokemon have a moveset geared towards a specific purpose. Whether or not that purpose is effective is something we'll see later, but all Pokemon have an item and are fully EV trained in two stats (255 EVs in two focus stats, instead of the more efficient 252/252/4 to use up 508 EVs out of the 510 max, or hell, even using specific EV spreads to maximize a Pokemon's effectiveness in certain metagames), so they're laser focused in their purpose. Very rarely, a Pokemon will have EVs in three stats, with 170 EVs each. Since I'm doing Open Level, every Pokemon we find and face will be level 100, though this doesn't apply to other facilities, unless the Pokemon you use are level 100, they can be between 60-100 with the opponent's level set at the highest level of your Pokemon.

Our first Pokemon of choice is a... special Lucario? Depending on what level you challenge depends on what tier the Pokemon will be drawn from, referring to the list linked previous. As your streak increases, so do the tier of Pokemon that'll be more likely drawn from as you'll face stronger trainers that only use Pokemon from a certain tier. A trainer will only use Pokemon from one tier, with the exception of Tier 4, which becomes part of the challenge during streak 5 on.

Tier 1 Pokemon tend to just have the one set with not much variation and feature weaker Pokemon. Tier 2 has more evolved Pokemon with two sets each and usually lower base stats, while Tier 3 has the big guns with mostly fully evolved Pokemon and 4 sets each between them. This is where most of the focus on the Battle Frontier is on and usually when referring to a specific set, it's the Pokemon followed by the number as listed. So in this example, the Lucario set we have is Lucario-1, which isn't even the good Special Lucario. Bah. It's EV focus is SpA and Speed.

Next up is Venusaur-1 and it's not a bad pick, but the main problem with rental Pokemon is they're not as optimized as they could be and sometimes have useless moves. Would much prefer Synthesis instead of Amnesia, but whatever. It's EVed in SpA and SpD. Level 50 tends to draw from Tier 2 with some Tier 1 and eventually becomes mostly Tier 3 with some Tier 4 as your streak becomes higher and higher.

Open Level starts with Tier 3 at level 100 with some specific Tier 1 and 2 Pokemon, as well as Tier 4 as your streak increases. Generally, starting at level 50 is a lot easier for other facilities since you can blast through the weak stuff with your powerful murdering machines before you get to the nasty stuff. The only facility that uses a large amount of Tier 1 stuff is the Battle Hall at the beginning of the type streaks, since Pokemon can go as low as level 30.

Then we have Charizard-1 . It doesn't have bad coverage, but again, it has two useless moves that you won't really use most of the time. Like most battle facilities, just hitting the opponet really hard and fast works out for most of the challenge, but it won't last forever. Also, since we're playing HGSS, we get all the info we need on this one page, since we can tell what Nature it has on the left. In DPP, the stats aren't highlighted, so you'd have to switch back and forth. It's EVed in SpA and Speed.

Ah, here's a good one, Breloom-1. Nice and dependable, can always get a hit off and has pretty good coverage. I guess it has an Impish nature and EVs in Atk and Def to do as much Counter damage as possible from a Flying attack, but we won't be using that move, really. Sky Uppercut is just fine.

And this is Nidoqueen-1, with some fine moves, aside from Charm. Compared to the other big numbers, it doesn't stand out that much, generally you want a 300+ in an attacking stat and a higher Speed is also pretty good. But since these aren't your Pokemon, you don't get a huge say in how they're crafted, so a lot of sets you'll find usually come with the response of "it's good, buuuuut...". Weird sets work better for the AI since they can catch you off guard and make KOing them a bit trickier, but those sets aren't too useful for you since you should be attacking most of the time.

And finally, we have Rhydon-1, again, pretty good coverage and a fine attacker, though the Passho Berry might not help against strong 4x effective special Water attacks. But you may have noticed that every set we have is the first set, that's because we don't get the other sets until later in the streak, so the trainers we'll be facing should have the first sets as well. We'll find out soon enough.

Here's the three Pokemon we'll be using. I would choose the Venusaur if I wasn't picking Breloom and it's good to have a mix of type coverage as well as physical and special focused Pokemon. Also, I won't always choose the best picks, cause it's fun to use new and crazy Pokemon!

Good old NPCs with their before battle text. While it's not as funny as Gen 3's generator, there are still some gems.

Battles are pretty simple, a 3 vs 3 slugfest with no bag items. Just pure Pokemon battling and goddamn it's a lot of fun. Especially since we have a good first matchup. It is perfectly fine to choose your initial three to give yourself an early advantage, since you know what Pokemon you'll be facing, but it's not a long lasting strategy and you might not get lucky since you can only choose 3/6 Pokemon you get to begin with.

Well that went well. Usually when an opponent uses a move, you can pin down what set it has and as your streak grows more and more and more, you need to know this poo poo. Some dedicated Frontier goers know the more nasty sets off by heart. This is not one of them, it's only Blissey-1 with Hyper Beam, Shadow Ball, Water Pulse and Sing, holding a Chople Berry, a Modest nature and EVed in HP and SpA. So not a huge deal, at least it's not the Toxic, Double Team, Softboiled and Counter set. Yikes.

That's not going to matter.

Just in case any of you were curious, Blissey's HP bar took 23 seconds to fully deplete. Another reason why most people go level 50 is because it goes by quicker, like a lot quicker when you face against Blissey and other high HP Pokemon. We will be using level 50 in some facilities, since it's mandatory in the Battle Arcade, but not all the time.

Nine times out of ten, you want to just sweep through the opponent's team and not give them a chance to hit back. That won't always happen, but if you want a high streak, you've got a lot of battling ahead of you.

Okay, so this is the, uh, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Poison Jab and Sandstorm set with a Razor Claw and an Impish nature, EVed in Atk and Def, though all Donphan sets are EVed that way.

Okay, first battle down, 48 to go! Haha, god...

After each battle you have a few options. You can Continue your streak until the seventh battle, where you'll then get some BP and some congrats. Record lets you record the battle you just had to your, uh, VS Recorder, if you had a particularly intense fight. Rest let's you pause your streak and let's you come back later, even with different Pokemon in other facilities! And Retire ends your whole thing to reset your streak. Don't do that. Unless you want to.

Also, I'm gonna be real with you guys, doing the Battle Frontier challenge completely clean is absolutely ridiculous and a huuuuuuge pain in the rear end. You have very little leeway in anything going wrong and if your streak ends at a high point, then that's a good few hours down the drain with no way of recovering, just try again and suck less! I could eventually get all the Prints if I really wanted to, but I actually want to finish this LP within 2017, so I'm using save states and I don't give a gently caress, 420 blaze it bitches!

Oh yeah, the other unique feature of the Factory is you can switch out one of your Pokemon with an opponent's! If you don't, then you can just keep going and keep sweeping with your three rad beasts (or four if you went for Doubles). Now to skip to when I actually trade!

It's a simple one to one swap, but you can't view the Pokemon you're receiving in depth, so you've gotta remember if it was good or not in the battle.

Once you're in another battle, you can then view all the stats and see how big of a mistake you've made by getting a Specs Garchomp or something dumb. But that's about it for the basics, so now I'm gonna cut out most of the battling. I'll keep in what Pokemon I received and then the first battle so you kinda know what they do. I'll go into more detail when I start using Pokemon you guys chose since it wouldn't be fair if they barely appeared, but understand that there are a LOT of fights to go through, 296 to be precise, to get all the Prints. MINIMUM.

: In recognition of your deep knowledge in matters pertaining to Pokémon, we present you with BP!

Yaaaaaaay, that was kinda worth it?

But there we go, one streak down, six to go, so let's dive right back in!

Now that we're in the second streak, we'll only find out about the first two Pokemon we'll face in the battle. Coolio.

We've got six new Pokemon to choose from and first up is Mamoswine-2, which, unlike Mamoswine-1, doesn't have Peck! Like all Mamoswine, it's EVed in HP and Atk.

Drifblim-2! This is an... interesting set that relies on chip damage and for that reason it's pretty garbage. Where's my Flying Gem Acrobatics Drifblim, goddamn? It's EVed in HP and Atk.

Alakazam-2! Seeing a pattern here? In any case, this is a fine set, though Focus Blast is an unfortunate necessity. It's EVed in SpA and Speed.

Exploud-2! It's a status absorber that also dishes out status if you're lucky? Ehhhhhh, let's not.

Also a weird choice, it's Medicham-2! This can technically stall things very well with Drain Punch and Recover while the enemy dies to poison. Sure, why not.

Last up is Pinsir-2, with X-Scissor! But then the other moves aren't that great. It's got EVs in Atk and Speed. You'll be glad to know I won't be doing these individually for the next five sets we use. Just marvel at the sets we'll encounter.

I'll use these three, because they're pretty good. Well, they're the only three definite things to take, cause Exploud isn't too amazing and Pinsir and Drifblim aren't gonna get picked.

Unfortunately, nothing too interesting happens. We're still just early enough that our opponents aren't hugely interesting sets wise and also because I wasn't too interested in recording everything. I'll be sure to include at least one fight per set in any future facility, cause battles are fun and poo poo!

For the third streak, we only know the first Pokemon we'll face as well as one of their moves.

Here's our pickings this time around and we've got some good stuff, as well as a really bad Forretress. Like sure it can be useful (or awful if the AI has it), but it's just better to go with something else. As you can guess, this is a Pokemon's third set they can have, seeing a pattern here? Anyway, after six more battles...

: In recognition of your outstanding winning streak, our Frontier Brain is demanding a match with you. So, your next match is against the Factory Head with no right of refusal! Are you prepared?

The 21st battle in all but one facility is a match against a Frontier Brain, a boss battle if you were. While some have preset teams, others are a bit more... random. Let's see what this one's got.

Hmm, maybe this Brain will be a bit of a challenge. But I'm pretty happy with my Pokemon, so let's go in.

Uh hello? Anyone there?

: What I'm using is an invention of mine. It's my data-interpreting machine. It's telling me what you've rented for this match.

: I have to say, that's a good seup. Like, say, 10 percent? Oh, don't let that number concern you! All righty, let's get going!

VS Frontier Brain

(Thorton is from thorn as all Frontier Brains are named after plants. Neziki is from Lyonia neziki, a group of flowering plants.)

Frontier Brains have kickass music and pretty tough teams, no matter the level. Thorton acts like any other trainer and uses three random Pokemon, but unlike the other trainers, he doesn't have a pool to pick from, he uses literally any Pokemon in the facility, so he could have anything at all.

So he might get some duds, or get some really nasty stuff. This is Honchkrow-1 that has Night Slash, Aerial Ace, Torment and Taunt with a Wacan Berry, an Adamant nature and EVed in HP and Atk. Sorry friend, but I've got the edgier guy here.

Though it is pretty frail. This is Milotic-1, with Surf, Ice Beam, Attract and Hypnosis, holding a Shell Bell, a Modest nature and EVed in HP and SpAtk. This could be a toughie.

I mean, if it used any status moves it could be a problem. Thankfully it's not.

I'm sure this Exploud was dangerous, whatever it was. It was probably Exploud-1, though I can't say for definite that Thorton only uses the first set in his first battle. In any case, it had Hyper Voice, Extrasensory, Water Pulse and Torment with a Chople Berry, a Modest nature and EVed in HP and SpAtk. A truly terrifying force.

Victory VS Frontier Brain

I can say I got a bit lucky, but my Pokemon were pretty sweet. Getting to a 21 streak isn't too difficult, but now it's gonna get tougher and tougher to reach battle 49.

Battle Factory

: It's not making me happy at all, losing. Even though I'm not happy, I did glean some useful data, I suppose. That makes me glad I battled you. So, did you get to like those Pokémon you rented? As the Factory Head, it would sure make me happy if you did. Next time, come back with different rental Pokémon.

For winning we get a nice chunk of BP change, but that's not all.

Beating a Frontier Brain nets you a Silver Print, but that's just one of ten to obtain in the Frontier. So we're not done with the Battle Factory yet. In fact, we're not even halfway done with this facility! Yaaaaaaaay!

It's gonna be a while before we fill up all five slots, but we'll make it eventually.

On the fourth streak, we don't even know what Pokemon is out first, just narrowing it down to what can learn a move. I'm sure only a few Pokemon know Psychic, right?

Here's the next six. I think Yanmega is the first all attacking Pokemon we've seen, so they're always good picks. Everything seems useful in some capacity, but that makes sense, since these are the fourth and final sets a Pokemon can have in a battle facility. They're usually pretty good.

These seem alright I guess.

One thing I haven't mentioned is how the last trainer you face tends to use Pokemon that the next streak tend to use. This only really matters for the final trainer in the fourth streak because from the fifth streak onwards is when Tier 4 Pokemon are added in and you start seeing Legendaries here and there. Facility accepted Legendaries, of course.

Okay, now we're past the halfway point. Thank god.

From the fifth streak onwards, the only knowledge you'll get is if the three Pokemon have a common type. Which they might not do, in which case you won't get any info at all. And that's what you'll get for the rest of the facility, so good luck.

Our six for streak five also aren't too bad, though it's always a bit rubbish when you notice the attacking stats are pretty even, as we can see with the special Flygon. Just because you can have that kind of set, doesn't mean you should.

This looks good enough I suppose. And since our team consists of Heracross-4, Gastrodon-4 and Gengar-3, we're finally getting some mixed sets, yay!

This Heracross is working out pretty well, since I got lucky in that Ursaring knowing Aerial Ace.[/i]

And I even hit Focus Blast, lucky me!

Now that we've beaten the Frontier Brain, we get more BP for a streak. It's still not a lot for the time invested, but it's the best we got.

Cheers

Our sixth set contains our first legendaries we can use! Sure, they're not too amazing, but an all attacking Cresselia is pretty good. I also can't really sniff at a Choice Band Absol either.

So surprise surprise.

Uh, cool.

This thing should tear some holes, who gives a poo poo if it used Swagger? I'll just destroy you quicker!

Oh yeah, that's why. Cause it lost 120 health in a confusion hit. Oh well.

Eh, that's not that big a deal, Cresselia still hits hard.

But admittedly, without that it would've been a 3HKO with Shadow Ball.

And now we're onto the final streak, we're nearly done with this facility!

Our last picks are pretty interesting, since that's a special Regigigas we have there... with its Attack STILL higher than its Special Attack despite being Modest. Christ.

The last three to carry me onto victory!

Let's do this, battle 49!

: Let's see what I can see about you through my data-interpreting machine. So, what have you rented for this match...?

: I have to admit, that's a good setup. It's a combination of friendship with cooperation all around. I'd say it's like 26 percent? Oh, don't let that number concern you! All righty, let's get going! No losing for me this time!

VS Frontier Brain

Well ain't this a tougher fight already. If you're curious, there is a subtle difference in the Frontier Brain battle music from Platinum to HGSS, see if you can figure it out here.

Quick Claw let's me strike first, but goddamn this is gonna hurt. This is Kingdra-4 with Hydro Pump, Draco Meteor, Blizzard and Signal Beam, holding a Wide Lens with a Modest nature, EVed in HP and SpAtk. Hell yeah this thing is dangerous.

Unless my Quick Claw procs again, Metagross is fainting, which is a shame cause I think it can 2HKO Kingdra.

Hydro Pump could also miss, but with the Wide Lens, it has an 88% chance to hit. And also, what kind of area do you think we're in?

Alright, things are looking up, maybe we can win this. While we don't know the Claydol set we can assume it's Claydol-4 since Thorton's last Pokemon is also using its 4th set. So it has Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, Rock Slide and Explosion, holding a Lax Incense, an Adamant nature, EVed in Atk and SpDef. That's actually quite nasty, so it's good we didn't face it.

The last Pokemon between us and victory. Thankfully, this isn't Gen 7, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous.

Okay, that did a lot of damage, but maybe, just maybe it'll stay asleep for a few turns and we can knock it out. This is Porygon-Z-4 with Tri Attack, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt and Recover, holding an Expert Belt with a Modest nature, EVed in SpAtk and Speed. So yeah, dangerous.

Even at -2, it still does over half, so if it stays asleep for just a little bit longer, we'll be fine.

Or it could just wake up second turn, whatever.

Still, we're in an advantageous position, if Moltres survives this hit, then we win.

Oh

Never mind then, its Expert Belt was pretty useful in this case.

So instead of literally throwing this entire update out the window and starting all the way at battle 1, I'll just start from the previous battle.

So let's try this again. Now unfortunately, I wasn't sure when the opponent's Pokemon are decided, I'm tempted to say before you begin your streak. So in future, if I lose to a Frontier Brain, I'll go from my save state of before I started the streak so we face new Pokemon, otherwise I have insider knowledge and it's not fun to win in this way when I know what his Pokemon are and what they do.

But I had no idea how long I'd been recording by this point, so gently caress it, let's kick this guy's scrawny rear end.

Now we're in a much better position for when the Porygon-Z comes out, since I won't be a -2 like last time.

It still survives with just a fuckin sliver though. Gah!

Still, this is why you don't bring a Moltres to a Zapdos fight. Especially cause you actually outspeed your opponent.

: It's not making me happy at all, this. In fact, I'm stewing here. I thought I learned a lot about Pokémon since I lost to you. But that's all right. Some things you learn from winning. But some things you learn by losing. I hope you'll keep renting our Pokémon and give me a chance to redeem myself!

And we'll never see him again. Literally. There are no ways to rematch a Frontier Brain after you get their Gold Print. At least, not that I know of.

Alright, one facility down, four to go!

gently caress off

Next time, when we return to the Battle Frontier, we'll take on the lovely RNG filled Battle Arcade.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 2, 2017

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Awesome

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Crosspeice posted:

The last Pokemon between us and victory. Thankfully, this isn't Gen 7, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous.

If any of you wondering what this is referring to, Porygon-Z got a massive buff in Gen VII.

First off, Conversion itself got buffed in Gen VI to converting the user's type to the type of the move in their first moveslot instead of picking a random move. Gen VII added in a way to make it so that Conversion gives +1 to all stats when used, making Porygon-Z a very scary special sweeper. Especially when you factor in Adaptability increasing the STAB Multiplier from 1.5x to 2x. Combined with Ghost's buffs in gen VI (Steel types no longer resist it), Shadow Ball is a very popular Conversion target, as well as Thunderbolt.

Also a little disappointed that you didn't run into a certain walrus yet, but that might change eventually. :unsmigghh:

Was the 2nd Thorton fight the only time you had to reload a state in the Battle Factory? That's pretty impressive if so.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thunderbolt's a really great thing to use with Z-Conversion because starting with Gen 6 Electric types are immune to paralysis.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Nice.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Aw man whaaaat? I never got around to playing in the Battle Frontier and wow this seems like a lot of fun. Shame it never returned when I got back to the games for good.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Nice.

also jeeze I'm glad I never tried the Battle Frontier, 'cause that's a lot of shenanigans for a small reward.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Battle Factory is the facility I wanted to try the most in ORAS.

Alas. :argh:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I really miss the Battle Factory. Also it's shame that we haven't had a Battle Frontier ever since all the advancements in breeding from Gen VI.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's a shame that the most boring format(Battle Tower clones) is the one that stuck, but that's what happens to optional Pokemon features once they stop being new and shiny. See also: Contests' slow degredation into Musicals.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Verant posted:

Nice.

also jeeze I'm glad I never tried the Battle Frontier, 'cause that's a lot of shenanigans for a small reward.

Unfortunately if you're trying to play multiplayer seriously on cartridge, you'll have to go through it since a lot of items (which for some reason are consumable outside of multiplayer and battle facilities) are locked behind the BP system.

Factory is definitely fun, and it's the facility I miss the most, along with the Battle Pike.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Unfortunately if you're trying to play multiplayer seriously on cartridge, you'll have to go through it since a lot of items (which for some reason are consumable outside of multiplayer and battle facilities) are locked behind the BP system.

Factory is definitely fun, and it's the facility I miss the most, along with the Battle Pike.

It's also arbitrarily the only place to get many evolution items. Want a new Porygon-Z? Pony up the 68 BP for the Upgrade & Dubious Disc every time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Haifisch posted:

It's a shame that the most boring format(Battle Tower clones) is the one that stuck, but that's what happens to optional Pokemon features once they stop being new and shiny. See also: Contests' slow degredation into Musicals.

They brought contests back and shitcanned musicals though

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Was the 2nd Thorton fight the only time you had to reload a state in the Battle Factory? That's pretty impressive if so.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised too. I came close to losing quite a few times, but I didn't have much trouble. Of course, I failed at literally the last hurdle, but screw doing another 48 battles just to get back to that point. Even speeding up the emulator took me over two hours to actually reach that goddamn point.

Also, since we are doing the Battle Arcade next, we, uh, still have two more slots left for 1-3 and two more slots of 4-7. Feel free to submit anything you want, because I really do need it right now. And if you wanna throw in the last slot of Castle 4-7, that would also be great. I'm looking forward to trying out what you guys have submitted, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to win with hopefully little problems.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

gently caress it then, have an Ampharos because I've just been playing SMD. Unless you already have one submitted and I missed it.

Battle Arcade 1-3
Ampharos

Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Cheers!

AND, there was one thing I wanted to mention, but completely forgot, but you can also say what Pokeball you want your Pokemon in. I know it's not a big thing, but it's still a nice little detail. If you're not interested in making a new post just for that, I'll just pick one myself, whatever. I'm also going to be changing the Pokeballs of the SS party for a bit of variety, even though half of my team can only technically be obtained in Pokeballs! But I don't give a gently caress!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ampharos is great. You'd be amazed how resistant it is to Earthquake after two Cotton Guards. Unfortunately, Earth Power still exists.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Yeah, I was pretty surprised too. I came close to losing quite a few times, but I didn't have much trouble. Of course, I failed at literally the last hurdle, but screw doing another 48 battles just to get back to that point. Even speeding up the emulator took me over two hours to actually reach that goddamn point.

Also, since we are doing the Battle Arcade next, we, uh, still have two more slots left for 1-3 and two more slots of 4-7. Feel free to submit anything you want, because I really do need it right now. And if you wanna throw in the last slot of Castle 4-7, that would also be great. I'm looking forward to trying out what you guys have submitted, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to win with hopefully little problems.

Battle Arcade 1-3
Kabutops - "Chopper"
No item in Arcade, but if you have to shift him elsewhere, Quick Claw
EV's: Attack / HP / Defense
Nature: Adamant
Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Aqua Jet, Stone Edge

And put him in a Love Ball, because, meh, I can't imagine any other time you'd ever use them.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Seeing as it's objectively the best ball, I vote that everything goes in Moon Balls.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 44: Lavender Scented Celadon

Lavender Town: The Noble Purple Town
(From lavender, a pale purple colour)
Shion Town: Shion is the color of purple nobility.
(Shion iro refers to the colour of Aster tataricus flowers, which, in the language of flowers, means "I won't forget you.")

It's Lavender Town time, let's see if this place got more depressing after three years.

Lavender Town

Well the music is definitely less miserable. It's actually one of my favourite tracks in the franchise, alongside most of the music in this drat series. Anyway, let's see if Mr. Fuji is in.

"for their POKéMON."

: Grandpa takes in the poor homeless POKéMON and takes care of them.

Maybe he's listening to some sweet, sweet music.

Oh wait, it's a cemetery. Never mind.

: Hmm... You appear to be raising your POKéMON in a kind and loving manner. POKéMON lovers come here to pay their respects to departed POKéMON. Please offer condolences for the souls of the departed POKéMON. I'm sure that will make them happy.

"Around the Clock!"

So the Pokemon Tower has been replaced by a Radio Tower. Interesting, hopefully there's not too many vengeful ghosts running around. Still, Johto's Radio Tower was packed full of fun adventures, so this must be too.

Oh. Never mind then!

: Thanks to you, I never lost my jon. I tell you, you're a real lifesaver! Please take this as my thanks.

: With that thing, you can tune into the radio programs here in KANTO. Gahahahaha!

"ground floor."

: Ever since JOHTO's RADIO TOWER was taken over by a criminal gang, we had to step up our security.

Pfft, excuses, excuses. Just admit you haven't made the floors! Also why does the staircase lead down?

: I am the super MUSIC DIRECTOR! I'm responsible for the gorgeous melodies that go out over the air. Don't be square. Grab your music off the air!

Now we can listen to Kanto radio. It's not much different to Johto radio, it still has the Pokemon Music channel, blaring out Pokemon March or Pokemon Lullaby depending on the day. Though it's hosted by DJ Fern instead of DJ Ben. There is also a unique station called That Town, These People, which talks about various trainers and it's kinda creepy, actually. It's hosted by DJ Lily.

Route 8

But that's it for Lavender Town, time to head westwards, towards places we've already been but not exactly! Yeah that makes sense.

Mate, I'm running out of room on my shirt to pin them to.

"battles."

The Johto badges give you stat boosts, but none of the Kanto badges do, they're mainly pointless collectibles, the kind you find in most RPGs.

I feel like we haven't caught a Pokemon in forever, so here's one.

If you see me catch a Pokemon in Kanto, then this is the earliest you could've found it in this game. Only Pokemon I've evolved are ones you won't find the evolutions to in the wild.

Fuckin' magnets, they work quite well.

I notice now that I'm typing this update that like 95% of the screenshots have some kind of textbox in them. That wasn't intentional, but whatever, Kanto people are wordy.

That's one big group you've got there.

"from now on..."

Well that bike gang lasted long.

Another area that doesn't exist in Gen 2? Whaaaaaaat?

How does everyone know that? Do I have a Johto looking face or something?

"trainer group."

So much riff raff to sort out.

"never fall!"

drat straight, fight the institution.

Well I guess we'll have to go through Saffron City like fuckin' savages.

Saffron City

Which is fine, since there's stuff we need to do anyway.

"your POKé DOLL?

: You'll really give me a rail PASS if I find it for you? Sure, I'll look for it! You think you lost it when you were in VERMILION?

: I shouldn't decide what you should do? But I'm really worried... What if someone finds it?

Now we could do that, buuuuuut, we could also go to Celedon City. We don't have any reason to go there, since it's basically optional until you need all the Gym badges. But we have been going from one place to another doing something or another, so let's just chill out and do something nice. I also have another reason for going to Celadon now instead of later, but eh, later.

Route 7

Hey, you know how Kanto has no Pokemon to find and then shoves them at you all at once?

Cause that's a thing.

So nice to catch an actual Dark type, too bad it's, well, bad and also postgame.

HP: 65 | ATK: 70 | DEF: 60 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 115 | TOTAL: 440
#137: Persian

Here's a cat too.

But we're mainly interested in hell dog. Wanted to use one on your team? Too bad, postgame bitch!

Well now it can finally howl, 44 updates in.

: ... Uncouth trainers have been holding battles in the UNDERGROUND PATH. Because of rising complaints by local residents, the UNDERGROUND PATH has been sealed indefinitely.

Vagabonds? In my Underground Path??? :monocle:

Celadon City

Celadon City: The City of Rainbow Dreams
(Celadon is a light greyish green colour)
Tamamushi City: Tamamushi, the color of rainbow dreams.
(Tamamushi iro refers to the iridescent colours of jewel beetles, which reflect a rainbow of colours, most noticeably green.)

I wonder if this place is full of drugs, criminals and mafia bosses like before?

: I wonder if it'll ever evolve into a frog POKéMON.

Hmm, nope, doesn't ring a bell. Probably not likely.

There better be another free Eevee in this place.

: MEOWTH even brings money home.

There is a still a PC on this floor.

"ing an e-mail."

: ...I hope you'll come visit KANTO. I think you'll be surprised at how much things have changed here. You'll also see many POKéMON that aren't native to JOHTO. To the PRODUCER

Cool. What have we got on the third floor and why does it smell of nerd?

: Filling up your POKéDEX is tough, but don't give up!

Please stop telling small kids to gamble.

: JASMINE's pretty too. Oh, I love them!

:yikes:

Could you maybe make me taller?

Well like before, we've gotta go in the back way to get anything good.

Let's see what kinda weirdo lives here now. The last guy made me question reality.

: He wanted to try to right away... He was having so much fun that he didn't notice the sun had set... While riding in the pitch-black night, the bike suddenly slowed! The pedals became heavy! When he stopped pedalling, the bike began slipping backwards! It was as if the bike were cursed and trying to drag him into oblivion!

: :catstare:

"CYCLING ROAD!"

: ... Ba-dum ba-dum! For listening so patiently, you may take this--TM03!

: It's a terrifying move that slowly whittles down the victim's HP.

Well that was horrifying, let's go shopping to cheer ourselves up.

Like before there's a great variety of items, but we can just fly over to Indigo Plateau for the best ones.

The second floor has your standard stuff, no surprise there.

Third floor is the TM shop and while it's not as amazing as Johto's selection, but it still has useful stuff, such as Hidden Power, Protect and the weather TMs, all ones we've seen before, but now with unlimited availability.

Fourth floor doesn't have sellable evolution stones, that would be too easy! Instead there's exclusive mail which can't be found anywhere else.

Fifth floor has a load of drugs. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Final floor is the drinks stuff and with that we're done yay let's go

We could also head down towards Fuchsia City if we really wanted, but the main reason I came to Celadon now is so we wouldn't get too ahead in levels against the Gym Leader. We do want it to be some kind of challenge, you know? Whereas no matter when we faced Fuchsia's Gym Leader, it would never be a challenge, so I can put it off for ages if I really wanted to.

: See that pond out in front of the house? GRIMER live there now. Where did they come from? This is a serious problem.

While this city is a lot "cleaner" in terms of less Team Rocket, it's actually become more polluted and we can finally find Grimer just chilling on the water.

Grimer also being solely postgame is another crime these games commit, cause they're cool.

We can also catch the evolution at a 10% encounter rate.

Funnily enough, in FRLG, there's a 1% chance to find a Koffing while surfing and a 1% to find Grimer while fishing in this pond. That is a pretty cool little nod to these games and I'm all for that.

You know, I realize I haven't eaten since this journey started. Walking around two regions does tend to make you hungry.

: We're holding an eatathon contest right now. Sorry.

I haven't eaten in three years... But at least my Pokemon can eat!

I could've sworn I've picked this up before.

"GAME CORNER"

Gambling time again!

This place has remained pretty unchanged over the years, but we can still throw our money away to the gambling gods to appease them.

The slots are exactly the same as the ones in Goldenrod. This place doesn't even have the card betting game, so there's really nothing to do here, since it's just easier to buy coins.

You can still do that here at least.

: Underneath this poster... There's nothing!

: Are you playing the slots too? I'm trying to get enough coins for a prize POKéMON. But I don't have enough coins yet...

You're as useful as ever.

: The coins just keep popping out! Hm? What, kid? You want to play? I'll share my luck with you!

: It makes me feel good to do nice things for other people!

He only gives you one coin. That's it. He can only be found at night as well, which nowhere really states. Anyway, that's all the freebies we can get, so either start buying or get out!

"prizes!"

There's a lot of things we can get while we're here. There's the TMs for Double Team, Psychic and Hyper Beam, which is nice. At least there's more than one Psychic TM, might pick it up for Mothra, if I can be arsed. And we even have a selection of Pokemon. This is the first time we can obtain Pikachu, Porygon and Larvitar and if you're playing GS, then this is the first time you can catch a Mr. Mime. Though there, Porygon is 9999 coins, whereas it's a lot cheaper in Crystal.

Since we've got enough, let's get a Porygon.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough for a Larvitar. Guess we'll just get it later.

Gym time then? We're doing one an update, but let's see how long that lasts.

Three years on and you're still ogling. Good poo poo.

Grass types probably won't be a tough time, so let's get going.

Pokemon Gym

"ERIKA taught us!"

(ZOE): We're going to protect ERIKA!

(ZOE): We couldn't win...

We'll see what she's like.

"scary, but OK!"

Don't sound too disappointed.

"is rare?"

Well Whitney is a girl only gym and technically Jasmine's is too.

I would go for Swift, but Quick Attack has more utility.

"or at me?"

At you. Because I'm a boy, like the dialogue is implying. But jokes on you, I'm actually gay.

"like ERIKA?"

Okay, that's all the trainers out of the way. They weren't particularly interesting.

: ...I'm afraid I may doze off... My name is ERIKA, I am the LEADER of CELADON GYM. ...Oh? All the way from JOHTO, you say? How nice... Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you wished to challenge me. Very well, but I shall not lose.

VS Gym Leader (Kanto)

Erika: The Nature-Loving Princess
(From the Erica genus, or winter/spring heather. The only Gym Leader to have the same name in English and Japanese until Iris in Pokemon White (unless you count Dan from Orange Islands (which we don't)))

There's a lot of Grass moves in this, well, Grass battle, so come prepared with various Fire and Ice and Flying types for an easier time. Tangela isn't too special, but Giga Drain can hurt and the combination of Bind and Sleep Powder can leave you a sitting duck (unless you switch).

But it's nothing too amazing.

HP: 75 | ATK: 55 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 55 | SP.DEF: 85 | SPD: 110 | TOTAL: 450
#069: Jumpluff

Jumpluff is the weakest Pokemon, which says a lot. It's also very statusey and can hit with both Mega and Giga Drain, just in case you didn't have enough.

Victreebel has some variety in that it can use Sunny Day for the last Pokemon, as well as having a STAB move that isn't Grass. Still doesn't make it that great, though a Razor Leaf crit can come at a bad time. Synthesis (Kōgōsei: Photosynthesis) is a Grass status move with 5PP that heals the user based on the weather and time of day. During no weather, it restores 25% of HP, during harsh sunlight, it restores 50% HP and during other weather it restores 12.5% HP. If it's during the day, then all the mentioned numbers are doubled, except in link battles.

Sucks for you, I play at night.

The final Pokemon can do some major hurt with powerful Grass STABs (well, the strongest Grass moves can get), but Mothra literally gives no shits.

With a combo of Sunny Day and Synthesis, or Solarbeam, it can be nasty. But I'm saying a lot of "could" in this battle... because it's not really a challenge. Oh well!

: You are remarkably strong... I shall give you the RAINBOWBADGE...

Pokemon Gym

: I felt inspired. Please, I wish you to have this TM. It is GIGA DRAIN. It is a wonderful move that drains half the damage it inflicts to heal your POKéMON. Please use it if it pleases you.

"aftertaste..."

: But knowing that there are strong trainers spurs me to do better...

Mothra can use more of its better Special Attack that I forget it has. Helios could also learn it, but it has Solarbeam and besides, after three turns, Solarbeam outdamages Giga Drain anyway. And has more PP.

But that's about it for Celadon City and indeed this update. Next time, we'll be doing a few small things around the region before heading to that drat Snorlax!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 30, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, I never used a Poison type until I got my Alolan Grimer and holy shitballs that little dude is wrecking some face all over the islands.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You know, I never used a Poison type until I got my Alolan Grimer and holy shitballs that little dude is wrecking some face all over the islands.

Alolan Grimer/Muk was part of my Sun team and goddamn the little thing can tank. Also Muk has the best colour scheme and I love it, such an improvement over the bland original Muk.

Also the fact that you can't get any Dark types (beyond Umbreon) until the postgame, in the most grinding-unfriendly game in the whole series, is...so weird. And so bad. You literally just introduced the type, let me use it!

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also the fact that you can't get any Dark types (beyond Umbreon) until the postgame, in the most grinding-unfriendly game in the whole series, is...so weird. And so bad. You literally just introduced the type, let me use it!
I was more annoyed that they weren't still there in FR/LG. A Houndour would've been pretty handy to have for Sabrina.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I do like how you can wander in the post game. It feels like freedom until you find something removed from the world.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
FRLG seemed almost designed to not nerf Sabrina too much. The only two viable STAB moves with were Silver Wind Butterfree (lol) or Shadow Ball Haunter (not a good idea pre-split). Otherwise, you were stuck with hoping you could bite her Pokemon to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

TinTower posted:

FRLG seemed almost designed to not nerf Sabrina too much. The only two viable STAB moves with were Silver Wind Butterfree (lol) or Shadow Ball Haunter (not a good idea pre-split). Otherwise, you were stuck with hoping you could bite her Pokemon to death.

Shadow Ball Flareon's time to shine

• Locked thread