Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
Related question: do you have to entirely finish the event dungeon to keep whatever drops you've gotten or can you retreat after one completed set of battles and keep whatever they shat out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Piebald Hell posted:

Related question: do you have to entirely finish the event dungeon to keep whatever drops you've gotten or can you retreat after one completed set of battles and keep whatever they shat out?

I think in most cases you get the rewards the instant the dungeon is cleared. Chips might be different but I haven't tried to verify.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Piebald Hell posted:

You only need to complete a dungeon to receive the completion bonuses.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

MannersPlease posted:

As a very new account do I want to just do all the realm stuff as fast as possible or should I be spamming this golden vault while it's an option?

I have 44 stamina right now and it seems like progressing on this is going to relatively slow...which is fine, but I was wondering if this golden vault thing is worth doing now, while it's going on, and then going back to max out my stamina after. I already started doing some daily dungeons and got all the FFV characters in those events, so I got a little taste of everything...just wondering if I should stick to the "max your stamina" advice or if this golden vault is one of those orbfest things and that is something I should do now, while I can...

Try doing the Golden Vault stuff as much and for as long as you can stomach it. Normally you have to do daily dungeons to get lots of orb drops or lots of XP and XP dungeons only happen on Sundays. The Golden Vault event combines both. This is the best chance you have at getting a team of five up to a level where they can do stuff as well as get the orbs to outfit them with decently-honed abilities. Unfortunately, though, your 44 Stamina is going to be a problem (unless you wake up every two hours and please don't do that to yourself) and the Golden Vault also happens to run at the same time as the seasonal banners so it's a prime opportunity to spend some Mythril to really get started off right. Would you happen to have all of your Mythril still with you? What banners have you tried pulling from and what 5* items did you get?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Roulette tally:

Lucky Dice, MC3 Lode, MC2 Lode, Gold Sword, Conductor's Tuxedo, Rosetta Stone

All Major Dark Orbs and Souls of a Hero

1 away from completing Major White, Non-Elemental, Earth, and MC1 Lodes

Doing pretty well. I just got the two 5* equipments just now, so I'm gonna do upgrades and junk. Pretty well on track to completing the roulette before things are gone.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah I don't know exactly where I'm at as far as how many chips I've had but I feel like I'm roughly halfway there.

No lucky dice yet but MC3, MC2, Gold Sword, Tuxedo, 8/10 mythril, and some other goodies.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Try doing the Golden Vault stuff as much and for as long as you can stomach it. Normally you have to do daily dungeons to get lots of orb drops or lots of XP and XP dungeons only happen on Sundays. The Golden Vault event combines both. This is the best chance you have at getting a team of five up to a level where they can do stuff as well as get the orbs to outfit them with decently-honed abilities. Unfortunately, though, your 44 Stamina is going to be a problem (unless you wake up every two hours and please don't do that to yourself) and the Golden Vault also happens to run at the same time as the seasonal banners so it's a prime opportunity to spend some Mythril to really get started off right. Would you happen to have all of your Mythril still with you? What banners have you tried pulling from and what 5* items did you get?

I dropped 30bux into today after I figured I would be sticking with it for a while. I did each of the "first rare draw" deals on each banner with that as well as the "half off" banner. 1.3k coins remain and I figure I'll just use that on the cheap 1-time as new banners come around.

I used my 50 mythril on an 11 pull on the terra banner? Or maybe I drew twice? Or maybe a 50 and a 15? I honestly only remember doing one 50 mithril and then all the single pulls with coins, but not sure if my results line up with that at all. I didn't know/dont remember what I did the first day, It's been a couple days and I'm just starting to figure out what is what to the point I even understand your questions :P

I have 25 mithril currently, and apparently only have 39 stamina. So I guess that's maybe a day of normal dungeons to get to 45 instead of just a few? Still close enough though. Would assume 50 mithril by the time I hit that 45 cutoff for hard vaults.

5 Star weapons are: Zantetsuken (vi), Gold Sword (vii), x2 Thyrus (xiv), x2 healing staff (ii). some more assorted 3 and 4 star weapons
5 star armors are: Golden Hairping (ix), Keepsake Ribbon (vii), Tiara (vi), x2 tin armor (ix).
5 star access: Locke Bandana, Cloud Goggles

Currently using Gilgamesh, Leo, Cloud, Terra, cat lady with the staff. crafted retaliate and an extra double hit. still have plenty of XP eggs, a few character unlocks, etc. The game threw a bunch of stuff at me right when I started.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 28, 2016

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
1/11 Thyrus. Eh. Needed wall but that's kinda sad. Let's try again.

1/11. Thyrus.

Game is loving hard.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MannersPlease posted:

I dropped 30bux into today after I figured I would be sticking with it for a while. I did each of the "first rare draw" deals on each banner with that as well as the "half off" banner. 1.3k coins remain and I figure I'll just use that on the cheap 1-time as new banners come around.

I used my 50 mythril on an 11 pull on the terra banner? Or maybe I drew twice? Or maybe a 50 and a 15? I honestly only remember doing one 50 mithril and then all the single pulls with coins, but not sure if my results line up with that at all. I didn't know/dont remember what I did the first day, It's been a couple days and I'm just starting to figure out what is what to the point I even understand your questions :P

I have 25 mithril currently, and apparently only have 39 stamina. So I guess that's maybe a day of normal dungeons to get to 45 instead of just a few? Still close enough though. Would assume 50 mithril by the time I hit that 45 cutoff for hard vaults.

5 Star weapons are: Zantetsuken (vi), Gold Sword (vii), x2 Thyrus (xiv), x2 healing staff (ii). some more assorted 3 and 4 star weapons
5 star armors are: Golden Hairping (ix), Keepsake Ribbon (vii), Tiara (vi), x2 tin armor (ix).
5 star access: Locke Bandana, Cloud Goggles

Currently using Gilgamesh, Leo, Cloud, Terra, cat lady with the staff. crafted retaliate and an extra double hit. still have plenty of XP eggs, a few character unlocks, etc. The game threw a bunch of stuff at me right when I started.

As other goons have said, Orbfest is a rare, incredibly helpful opportunity. Skills and their hones matter just as much as equipment if not moreso after a certain point, so by drowning yourself in 3*/4* orbs, you'll get a solid hand up to making the abilities you need once you can't just autobattle through every stage.

You need more stamina, to be sure, but the orbs are more important as long as you keep running it and don't let the stamina that refills go to waste. You'll probably lose out on a solid bit at night (please don't forsake sleep for a mobile phone game) but the levels, gil, and orbs you get from running these dungeons are far more important than stamina in the long run, and a lot harder to get outside of events like this.

That said, I'd suggest using one of your Hero Souls (either one you have or one you get in the roulette) to grab Steiner; Magic Sword Firaga plays amazingingly well with Terra's Fire Beam and can let Rusty replace Cloud in your team until you get a solid grasp on where you want to go with skills and teambuilding.

I'd recommend combining the Healing Staffs and Thyruses - you rarely need more than one White Mage in a dungeon and Terra can't use staffs - but that's personal opinion. Definitely keep the Tin Armors separate; two pieces of synergy armor, even heavy armor, is always better than one.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 28, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

IllegallySober posted:

Did the math and I need 22 more Gold Knight waves to max out the roulette wheel. I feel a little better about that now since we still have a week left in the event.

I decided to check and see how many I need. At 2600 chips per wave, I need 24 more waves to get everything, assuming I did the math right (multiplied items remaining by 100, then divided by 2600). I'm still pretty nervous about being able to get the chips I need, especially considering that I haven't seen any gold knights today.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've gotten about 70k chips so far. Phase 2 has been good to me.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

I decided to check and see how many I need. At 2600 chips per wave, I need 24 more waves to get everything, assuming I did the math right (multiplied items remaining by 100, then divided by 2600). I'm still pretty nervous about being able to get the chips I need, especially considering that I haven't seen any gold knights today.

Keep in mind we're only on phase 2 still, there's 3 more to go.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've got some bad news. They only drop 2400 per wave.

Edit:

Combo posted:

Also, there are only 4 phases. Four orb phases, and the materials "phase" runs concurrently with all the rest. So we're really at 3/5, or 2/4, depending on how you look at it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Combo posted:

Two more.

That said, check in on where you stand near the end of phase three. If you're still well behind on roulette chips, celebrate and start spending mythril on this orbfest, because you're the magical unicorn for whom this orbfest is a good use of refreshes and P3 is a good time to do those. (Yes, I know we all need dark orbs, but given that white and fire are duds, P2 is basically only as good as Fridaily with a much higher XP return)

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 28, 2016

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, there are only 4 phases. Four orb phases, and the materials "phase" runs concurrently with all the rest. So we're really at 3/5, or 2/4, depending on how you look at it.

Ah yeah I'm thinking of banners.

Even still, he's probably doing ok.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Two more.

That said, check in on where you stand near the end of phase three. If you're still well behind on roulette chips, celebrate and start spending mythril on this orbfest, because you're the magical unicorn for whom this orbfest is a good use of refreshes and P3 is a good time to do those. (Yes, I know we all need dark orbs, but given that white and holy are duds, P2 is basically only as good as Fridaily with a much higher XP return)

It's fire and dark. :ssh:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ETB posted:

It's fire and dark. :ssh:

Dunno why I typed holy. Holy isn't a dud. Fire absolutely is though.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Dunno why I typed holy. Holy isn't a dud. Fire absolutely is though.

I'd still strongly disagree, given that Fire Orbs are required for Fires Within, Meteor Crush, and other fun new skills.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I couldn't keep it in my pants and did a pull on Overstrike1 despite all the dupes. 2/11, Tin Armor (dupe) and Minwu's SSB. While an instant medica is not bad, I'm still mad at myself.

I wish Minfilia 1 would just hurry up so I can get it over with.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ETB posted:

I'd still strongly disagree, given that Fire Orbs are required for Fires Within, Meteor Crush, and other fun new skills.

yeah i'm looking at a deficit of fire orbs, especially since they're used for twin firestrike, thunderstrike, and the 5* ninja fire scroll. holy otoh i've got more than i know what to do with

still what i could really use is more wind and dark orbs. stupid thief skills.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, I've got so many extra holy I'm thinking I'll just take Saint Cross to R4.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I've got so many extra holy I'm thinking I'll just take Saint Cross to R4.

Depends if you wouldn't rather just have a second SC copy instead. R4 Saint Cross is mostly only if you're using a Paladin that's also covering a buff, like Beatrix or Agrias.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Depends if you wouldn't rather just have a second SC copy instead. R4 Saint Cross is mostly only if you're using a Paladin that's also covering a buff, like Beatrix or Agrias.

That's exactly why I want it, yeah. It comes up somewhat frequently (although less so now that I have Beatrix's BSB).

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Thing with Fire orbs is that they used to be a dud. Which in turn warps how older players see things. Not only there weren't any good uses for them, when the good Fire-skills arrived, veterans already had piles of fire orbs in storage.

Now we have things like Dragoon Jump, Meteor Crush, Fires Within, Chain Firaga, Bio Grenade. And then in the future will have the Chain Fira Strike, Chain Thundara Strike, Chain Waterga, the new ninja ability, etc etc. I am going to be bottlenecked by Fire very soon.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Combo posted:

If it were me:

I think its time to invest in full break now, assuming you have the orbs. Even r1 will be ok for a while, I sat on r1 for a few months.

Team would look like this:

Tyro - Protect(or Shell)/Heals - Wall
Ramza - Full Break + Power or Magic breakdown - Shout
Beatrix - Life Siphon + Protect or Shell
Luneth
Gilgamesh

One thing I try to do is put the more threatening damage type for that particular boss (shell or protect) on the person who isn't your wall user. So first round would be getting wall up with tyro, shout up with ramza, and protect or shell with beatrix, and then poo poo out damage from there.

You can swap in Locke/Terra for their BSB/OSB synergy as well but I think the top 3 would be your consistent ones. RW some type of medica, maybe medica with a high regen along with it.

Thanks! I'll level up Beatrix and try out your suggestions.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

Thanks! I'll level up Beatrix and try out your suggestions.

No problem! No doubt someone else can come up with something better but I think that's what I'd do anyway. Then again I love physical teams and you have some stuff to take advantage of it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Attestant posted:

Thing with Fire orbs is that they used to be a dud. Which in turn warps how older players see things. Not only there weren't any good uses for them, when the good Fire-skills arrived, veterans already had piles of fire orbs in storage.

Now we have things like Dragoon Jump, Meteor Crush, Fires Within, Chain Firaga, Bio Grenade. And then in the future will have the Chain Fira Strike, Chain Thundara Strike, Chain Waterga, the new ninja ability, etc etc. I am going to be bottlenecked by Fire very soon.

I have 139 major fires stockpiled without even touching my thousands of 3 and 4 star orbs, and have already honed Dragoon Jump and Chain Firaga to R3, Bio Grenade and Meteor Crush to R2. Fire is definitely still a dud for me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

Major Earth Orbs are the same way - also for Meteor Crush/Fires Within/Bio Grenade, but also for Saint/Gaia Cross, Chain Stonega, Chain Biora...

Meanwhile, Major Holy Orbs are only important for Alexander, Saint Cross and Multi Break, unless you really want Sapphire Shot honed up. Ultra Cure can't come fast enough to eat up these White and Holy orbs.

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
Meh. Why are there so few AoE skills? Is there even a non-5* BSB insta heal? :T

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Piebald Hell posted:

Meh. Why are there so few AoE skills? Is there even a non-5* BSB insta heal? :T

AoE is very powerful, so most AoE skills are 4* or above. Though for lower skill tiers, you do have the 3* elemental summons, and 3* ninja magic.

Instant abilities are almost exclusively soul break related, except for one notable exception (Powerchain). Again, due to it being a super powerful effect.

(edit) Ditto on AoE heals. That is almost entirely soul break exclusive, with the small exception of party-wide Regeneration buffs.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 28, 2016

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Can you get a Record Materia after any round in a stage or only in the last one? I've only gotten a single random one and it was Refia's in the last round of the last stage of one of those orbfest dungeons.

Or in other words, what's the best way to grind those stupid things?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

AnotherGamer posted:

Can you get a Record Materia after any round in a stage or only in the last one? I've only gotten a single random one and it was Refia's in the last round of the last stage of one of those orbfest dungeons.

Or in other words, what's the best way to grind those stupid things?

You need to complete the stage, but not the entire dungeon. Generally, the best way is to repeat something like a 2-stamina dungeon stage over and over, preferably with multiple characters that you want RM drops for.

But currently you just wanna run Orbfest normally, of course.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You can get them after any round in a stage, potentially for multiple characters at once, so long as you're fulfilling the relevant conditions. So the ideal way to grind for them is to go to one of the very early dungeons at 2 stamina per 3 rounds with as many characters as you can fit who need some RM ground up. That said, if you're already doing something else like story dungeons/event dungeons/orbfest grinding it doesn't hurt to pack the group with such characters if you can get away with it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

NGDBSS posted:

You can get them after any round in a stage, potentially for multiple characters at once, so long as you're fulfilling the relevant conditions. So the ideal way to grind for them is to go to one of the very early dungeons at 2 stamina per 3 rounds with as many characters as you can fit who need some RM ground up. That said, if you're already doing something else like story dungeons/event dungeons/orbfest grinding it doesn't hurt to pack the group with such characters if you can get away with it.

Just to clarify though, you can't infinitely S/L a single round in hopes it would drop the RM from one of the monsters. You need actually complete that round of the stage, and then the entire stage, to actually get the RM (or any other loot, for that matter.)

So effectively rounds do not matter (even if you can get them in any of the three.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Attestant posted:

Just to clarify though, you can't infinitely S/L a single round in hopes it would drop the RM from one of the monsters. You need actually complete that round of the stage, and then the entire stage, to actually get the RM (or any other loot, for that matter.)

So effectively rounds do not matter (even if you can get them in any of the three.)
Yeah, to expand on this point I should note that all loot (or at least all single-player loot) for a stage is randomly rolled just after you spend stamina to first enter that stage. Despite the fact that a stage may have multiple rounds, the loot for any given round is still predetermined before you even enter the first one. And RMs do count as loot. The downside of this is that, as above, you cannot S/L to reroll the loot. The upside is that if you use something like Fiddler to capture/parse traffic alongside an emulator, you can instantly tell what loot has been rolled (and thus flee the stage if you wouldn't get what you were looking for).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Attestant posted:

AoE is very powerful, so most AoE skills are 4* or above. Though for lower skill tiers, you do have the 3* elemental summons, and 3* ninja magic.

Instant abilities are almost exclusively soul break related, except for one notable exception (Powerchain). Again, due to it being a super powerful effect.

(edit) Ditto on AoE heals. That is almost entirely soul break exclusive, with the small exception of party-wide Regeneration buffs.
Powerchain isn't instant, although it's as quick as most Celerity skills. Quick Hit and Stitch in Time are both instant, though.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
4 11-pulls because Christmas presents and boredom combined result in suboptimal behavior.

Final tally:
3x Tiara (combined and reforged into a superhat; 43 MAG before RS sounds like the best idea ever, right?)
1x Platinum Sword (combined with my original Platinum Sword)
2x Thyrus (combined with my original Thyrus then reforged; I now have a new generic superstrong mind stick)
1x Shura Glove (I heard good things about Refia BSB but I'm not certain whether or not it's worth giving up PCecil BSB)

Not that great of a haul, especially given how I had Vivi's BSB already so he does the whole "EnFire mage" thing better than Terra.

This is I suppose karma catching up to me for my 5/11 BSB-only Lucky Draw pull and then a 3/11 on the Buff-only Lucky Draw that was also all BSBs.

Anyways, Valigamaria died a fiery death at the hands of Exdeath, who set up Grand Cross and then just kept spamming 9999x3 Meltdowns while the rest of the party sat around and did basically nothing. Exdeath continues to not disappoint.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Nihilarian posted:

Powerchain isn't instant, although it's as quick as most Celerity skills. Quick Hit and Stitch in Time are both instant, though.

It makes other things instant, but yeah, I didn't explain that clearly.

Also forgot about those other two entirely. I actually thought that Quick Hit was just... Very quick.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

the Orb of Zot posted:

1x Shura Glove (I heard good things about Refia BSB but I'm not certain whether or not it's worth giving up PCecil BSB)

Just going to quote :words: that I posted on the reddit recently

quote:

It's the top attach element physical BSB until Cloud's BSB2. 8 hit single target fire/non that gives self crit UP and attach fire, command 2 is aoe fire/non + dark bargain (atk+30% def-30%) and command 1 is 4-hit fire/non with 50% extra damage on crit.
The bracers give +20% fire damage. A weapon with +20% fire (like Zell's BSB glove) can stack with this. Refia at 99 with her record dive and synergy or fire boosting gear will be hitting the damage cap more often than not once she gets rolling. On top of this she can use fires within, a ranged 2-hit fire ability that benefits 50% extra damage from enfire and heals her, taking pressure off healers.
Refia owns and the BSB owns.

Personally if you have an Excalibur rosetta'd to +20 and platinum shield Cecil is still great and perfectly usable for doing 9999 x2 every turn. It's final fantasy, most of the bad guys are holy weak.

Refia has the benefit of choosing to go ranged, fires within generally heals for 2k per use, and she can self-boost. Her BSB entry and command 1 have far more potential for single target damage.

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
When, if ever, does Blood Sword show up again? I'm tempted to drop another 11x in the hopes of picking it up (or Mistelteinn or Thyrus), but with three dupes on the banner and a planned pull on XIV 1, I'm not sure it's worth it. Sitting at 230 mythril for reference.

• Locked thread