Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

I'm a pretty big believer in Didi Gregorius. He put up a 97 OPS+ last season, which is drat good for a shortstop and his defense is good enough that he doesn't need to keep hitting that well to be an ML-average shortstop.

Didi is legit, and Headley's truly horrid and unacceptable March/April dragged down what was actually a pretty decent (.265/.338/.418 103wRC+) season.

That's not to say Headley is a strength of the team, but I also don't think he's an much of a liability as people make out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tadashi posted:

He's not bad as a second backup infielder who can also play the outfield considering the starting 4 infielders for the Rockies put up pretty outstanding seasons last year. If OOTP is to be believed Cristhian Adames is a pretty good defender off the bench? It's hard to judge Rockies' minor leaguers since they run through some pretty offense-friendly environments but I feel like they have a couple more young hitters on the way up who could help fill-in, too?

E: Not an Orioles fan, but they just shared this photo on Twitter and I think it's an awesome photo baseball fans should love. Are there any cool photos of Kershaw with Koufax?

there are many, but I like this one

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Everything I've read suggests the Dodgers are willing to give up JDL and more, just that Minnesota also wants Alvarez/Bellinger, which is a no-go for LA.

I feel like it'll get done eventually but maybe not till mid January or so.

Will bump dis when JDL, Walker Buehler and Willie Calhoun make up the eventual package.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 28, 2016

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vernacular posted:

Will bump dis when JDL, Walker Buehler and Willie Calhoun make up the eventual package.
that wouldn't surprise me. The consensus seems to be that Calhoun should be on an AL team sooner than later

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Willie Calhoun is a top-tier 19th century name straight out of a Jack London tale about an excursion into the Yukon so I support his success in these major leagues of base ball.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He is a "second baseman" who has a legit bat but is destined for a DH career, so they say

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

He is a "second baseman" who has a legit bat but is destined for a DH career, so they say

So he's Dan Uggla?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Fun fact: Adam Dunn was worse defensively in one season than Dan Uggla was for his entire career (by dWAR).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Julio Cruz posted:

Fun fact: Adam Dunn was worse defensively in one season than Dan Uggla was for his entire career (by dWAR).

And yet all I remember Dan Uggla for is committing 3 errors in that one All-Star game.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
This game compilation of the World Series has the option to listen to the radio commentary but they mute out nearly every mid-game advertisement and they did it really jarringly and sloppily so I'm a little disappointed

How am I supposed to know that fans won't strike out with Gold Coast Bank

They even kept in the 'It's never felt better to Fly The W™" thing from State Farm but they cut out the part where he mentions State Farm and they also removed almost every postgame interview so the last 20 minutes are silence while Fox interviews folks

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

And yet all I remember Dan Uggla for is committing 3 errors in that one All-Star game.

That was the best-worst game. It didn't end till about 7am here because of all the extras.

e: he also struck out three times and grounded into a DP in 4 ABs :lol:

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 28, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

gently caress chase headley

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

i've never felt worse for a player than I did for uggla in that game. i still remember it, my god.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Makes sense actually

https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/814225985155514371

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hawk looks pretty clingy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wonder what's worse: Hawk's golf commentary, or Joe's scoring.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Two obnoxious peas in a loud mouthed pod.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Please tell me Joe West was calling balks on Hawk every other time he swung a club.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Obama do this country one last favour and call in a drone strike.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Needs to be canted and given a vignette for the inevitable Dateline special.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

CubsWoo posted:

This game compilation of the World Series has the option to listen to the radio commentary but they mute out nearly every mid-game advertisement and they did it really jarringly and sloppily so I'm a little disappointed

How am I supposed to know that fans won't strike out with Gold Coast Bank

They even kept in the 'It's never felt better to Fly The W™" thing from State Farm but they cut out the part where he mentions State Farm and they also removed almost every postgame interview so the last 20 minutes are silence while Fox interviews folks

What's this? WS game 7?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

quote:

The Rockies have spoken to FA RHP Greg Holland about a 1 year contract with a second option year

Seems like a good buy low guy if he's not completely busted

He's not completely broken though, right? :ohdear:

E: Greg

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 29, 2016

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

will_colorado posted:

Seems like a good buy low guy if he's not completely busted

He's not completely broken though, right? :ohdear:

I'm pretty sure he signed with the White Sox a couple weeks ago.

So yes he's completely broken.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Tavarin posted:

I'm pretty sure he signed with the White Sox a couple weeks ago.

So yes he's completely broken.

Greg Holland. drat you internet blogs and your misspellings

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

Wonder what's worse: Hawk's golf commentary, or Joe's scoring.

STRETCH! STREEEETCH!

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
So with all the talk about celebrity deaths in 2016 it got me thinking that baseball lost a lot of greats as well. Jose Fernandez, David Ortiz, Prince Fielder, Vin Scully retired. Who else am I missing? Is Ichiro retiring too?

e: I mean through death or retirement, obviously. Only one of those died. :(

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

So with all the talk about celebrity deaths in 2016 it got me thinking that baseball lost a lot of greats as well. Jose Fernandez, David Ortiz, Prince Fielder, Vin Scully retired. Who else am I missing? Is Ichiro retiring too?

e: I mean through death or retirement, obviously. Only one of those died. :(

Ahem.
http://i.imgur.com/4Mt8SSu.jpg

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
No more Texface, either :smith:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

uhh a-rod

e: drat beaten

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
drat, can't believe I forgot a rod . I am ashamed

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well I mean, technically A-Rod hasn't retired. He's a free agent!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:lol: is that a Redskins hat?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Rand alPaul posted:

:lol: is that a Redskins hat?

Looks like a Blackhawks logo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This week on Cowboy and the Hawk, West foils a jewel thief by disguising his neck as a second head. Harrelson tries to escape from a collapsing supermarket display of canned corn. "Dagnabbit," he says.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

ScottyJSno posted:

What's this? WS game 7?

Yes. The radio call was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SprKzChpyc&t=608s

and the disc cuts off '...from a proud partner of the Chicago Cubs, State Farm" from Pat's call/reading of ad copy. This happens constantly during all 8 games when the radio broadcast slips in their in-game ads (strikeouts, homers, calls to the pen, etc) which is understandable since I'm assuming most of those advertisers only have rights to air on actual radio network broadcasts and not re-transmissions, but for someone who's been listening to the radio calls on mlb.tv synced to the game video all year having the broadcast cut to dead air the way it does just makes it feel off.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 29, 2016

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

This week on Cowboy and the Hawk, West foils a jewel thief by disguising his neck as a second head. Harrelson tries to escape from a collapsing supermarket display of canned corn. "Dagnabbit," he says.

Tune in next week
as West hucks a bucket of baseballs at pigeons perched on his own car and Harrelson tries to figure out how to use Outlook after Sarge demotes him for being a loose cannon.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Explosionface posted:

Looks like a Blackhawks logo.

Oh you're right, it does. I forgot about hockey :(

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

CubsWoo posted:

but for someone who's been listening to the radio calls on mlb.tv synced to the game video all year

I'm actually curious about this bit. Does that actually work well, and how do you go about setting it up so it plays that way? I'd love to listen to the Phillies radio broadcast while watching the game next season, because the Phils radio announcers are better than their TV guys.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

mentholmoose posted:

I'm actually curious about this bit. Does that actually work well, and how do you go about setting it up so it plays that way? I'd love to listen to the Phillies radio broadcast while watching the game next season, because the Phils radio announcers are better than their TV guys.

It works really well as long as the player cooperates, you need to have the 'standard video' option unchecked and that allows you to pick an audio feed to overlay on the game (usually TV, radio, park audio only and sometimes a secondary foreign language feed.) The radio feed is synced perfectly to my ears - the audio stream is a good 5-10 seconds ahead nearly all the time if you're just listening to the audio-only option so they take that time to sync it up.

The only downside is that during national/playoff games they often only allow you to overlay the home team's feed over the national broadcast so I can't put the Cubs radio audio over games like NLDS G4 or WS G6/G7. You ~might~ be able to do this on the console apps but I haven't tried, it isn't possible on the mobile apps as far as I can figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Speaking of ARod

https://twitter.com/AROD/status/814168461203030016

• Locked thread