Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
What's this about attaching leeches to your cock, sounds intriguing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Flesh Forge posted:

What's this about attaching leeches to your cock, sounds intriguing

You say that now, but trust me; it always ends with your spine being surgically cut out.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's just dumb that in a game based on realism you can call someone a Planet-class Master and they still slice up someone's torso when installing a prosthetic leg

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
When do they add the nurse roles to improve surgery chances?

I say this and then he does then it becomes legit impossible to do any medical task without the extra help.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Leal posted:

I wasn't kidding when I said Tynan left in failures like that because it happened in medieval times. He legit thinks that since some hicks who thought attaching leeches to your cock made you more virile would do things like that during 1100 AD that a space faring civilization should have the same medical understanding.

It's understandable if the surgeon is completely untrained. Surgery is loving hard, and you need to know where the arteries are to not murder your patients constantly. But above 15 skill or so your pawn should be a better surgeon than most that exist today.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's understandable if the surgeon is completely untrained. Surgery is loving hard, and you need to know where the arteries are to not murder your patients constantly. But above 15 skill or so your pawn should be a better surgeon than most that exist today.

I get failing surgery, but some things they fail at is just too much. I went to stitch this guy's leg and ended up slicing off his ear. I'm not surgeon but even I, some random retail worker, could probably successfully stitch up a guy or at the very least not slice the man's ear off.

And speaking of doctors, my current game's doctor is a man named Giggles who was a traumatic child and a mental patient. For some reason this makes him have the highest medical abilities, I mean this guy has mental issues so at least then I guess I can accept him slicing off a man's dick when trying to bandage a pinky.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So I guess that Psychology mod finally updated.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

So I guess that Psychology mod finally updated.

quote:

All pawns are graded on the Kinsey scale instead of using sexuality traits.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Gay takes up a trait slot. Makes you think.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I almost wish they kept the old system because it was hilarious seeing people freak out about imaginary computer game mini people not being bisexual

It's like being upset that Lego men don't have genitals

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

KyloWinter posted:

Gay takes up a trait slot. Makes you think.

This honestly bothers me a lot.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flesh Forge posted:

This honestly bothers me a lot.

Boy do I have the mod for you then

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What's the most difficult biome/start?

Solo explorer / flat / super hot?
Solo explorer / flat / freezing?

I've got a hankering to try and survive the most difficult possible zone instead of just temporal forest

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Teikanmi posted:

What's the most difficult biome/start?

Solo explorer / flat / super hot?
Solo explorer / flat / freezing?

I've got a hankering to try and survive the most difficult possible zone instead of just temporal forest

Solo Explorer / Sea Ice I would have thought

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

endolithic posted:

Literally every colonist is a very drunk Robert Liston.

Liston's second most famous case posted:

Amputated the leg in 2 1⁄2 minutes, but in his enthusiasm the patient's testicles as well.

Liston's most famous case posted:

Amputated the leg in under 2 1⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he dropped dead from fright.

That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality.

Hahahaha this might as well be a Rimworld let's play.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Aren't those stories completely hearsay and most people agree it never happened?

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Regardless of the truth of Liston's surgical record, his hand can be felt upon every surgery in the Rimworld.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hilariously botched surgery good.

Would be more hilarious if it happened less often.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

And more logical. Add more location of the surgery errors, remove I went to get a leg set and he removed my heart.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Lunethex posted:

When do they add the nurse roles to improve surgery chances?

I say this and then he does then it becomes legit impossible to do any medical task without the extra help.

He'll do this and then make a 90% chance for woman to be nurses and 0% for men, then tell us he's doesn't believe men can be nurses. :can:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NatasDog posted:

He'll do this and then make a 90% chance for woman to be nurses and 0% for men, then tell us he's doesn't believe men can be nurses. :can:

Tynan's the kind of guy who's more likely to look up the statistical gender spread of the nursing profession and hard-lock your colony to resemble that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I've played a medieval historical simulator called Crusader Kings II once and it had my horse Glitterhoof work as my court physician. Glitterhoof accidentally amputated my face while trying to cure a case of Aztec syphilis, so I guess accidents like that were pretty common in preindustrial society. :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well I guess we just need a mod that allows animals to perform surgery then.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want this mod for this, and this alone:

quote:

- Desensitized: This numbed pawn no longer gets mood penalties for witnessing death or observing corpses. They will still be upset by colonists' deaths in general, and by other moral outrages. This trait can potentially be gained during play whenever a pawn sees someone die or looks at a body.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, here's an A16 fort I'm happy with:

Still haven't played much with the caravan stuff. Every time I try my colonists collapse from exhaustion while loading up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Your bases/colonists are loving terrifying but at least this one has a cool yin/yang symbol in the middle.

Turtlicious posted:

I want this mod for this, and this alone:

Which?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there anywhere that breaks down precisely, in detail, exactly what tasks can be improved by bionic eyes, arms, and legs?

It's all such a mishmash; for example, I found this chart that supposedly shows what Sight influences:

quote:

Ranged: 0.95
Melee/Medical: 0.7
Tailoring/Smithing: 0.6
Mining/Research/Construction/Grow/Cut/: 0.5
Butchery: 0.4
Smoothing/Cooking/Brewing: 0.3
Sculpting: 0.25

So Sight is a big part of surgery, but bionic eyes don't help surgery because it turns out the benefit from Sight is capped at 100%. So I don't know what info to trust because there are so many weird codicils.

Is there a good breakdown somewhere of what eyes, arms, and legs DO help? Precisely and in detail?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Your bases/colonists are loving terrifying but at least this one has a cool yin/yang symbol in the middle.

Not enough people do mosaics.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 29, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, here's an A16 fort I'm happy with:

Still haven't played much with the caravan stuff. Every time I try my colonists collapse from exhaustion while loading up.

Do you build this in phases and poo poo?

I've got my own colony going that was slightly influence by your guide and the whole "urban combat" thing. It does seem to work surprisingly well, except for when the bad guys have grenades. I really need to get weapons manufacturing on line so I can defend myself with more than just a Pistol, a survival rifle, a lovely looted H.SMG, and some grenades on the girl that can't shoot/melee for poo poo.

(all the switches are because I'm in the middle of switching to electrical lighting, though its leaving me feel that motion sensor switches are more trouble than they're worth)

As a general question (not just to Hieronymous) the whole "stack ingredients" next to the kitchen stove is great, but it tends to result in meat spoiling a lot. I'm assuming this is mostly just a problem thanks to my small population, not many meals get made (I think I've got it set to 25 fine stockpiled) so the meat just sits and spoils.

BTW food poisoning cases seemed to go down a good amount when I partitioned the kitchen and created a separate room for butchering.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't believe there is a chart of the way you want it, the game works it out the other way.

Essentially, each final statistic of a pawn is calculated using the results of all modifiers. So, say, crafting speed would be modified by crafting skill, sight, manipulation, and consciousness (maybe other things, can't remember) this is listed on the pawn information panel for the crafting speed stat, it gives you the statistical breakdown of how much each modifier affects the skill and their relative values for that pawn.

It's fairly intuitive, fiddly things need more sight and manipulation, some things can be done more by feel and less by sight, social stuff is harder if someone shot your gob off and you can't talk that sort of thing.

You'd have to go through every final stat in the pawn's information page and look for the relevant modifier in the list at the right, as well as its weighting for that statistic.

That, alas, may not help if there are hidden caps on some skills. But fundamentally, bionic limbs usually improve the basic function of the limb or organ they replace, and sometimes have specific buffs hardcoded into them which will be listed on the bionic part, they usually have something like "part efficiency" which means it will function as say a 120% effective arm, giving you +20% manipulation because you use your arms for that. And sometimes they specifically improve stats like say robokidneys from mods giving you extra blood filtration or something.

So bionic eyes will actually give you +whatever% sight, as listed, and the weirdness is that presumably medicine doesn't accept that buff.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 29, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do you build this in phases and poo poo?

Oh yeah absolutely. I built the top right quadrant first, then enclosed the fields and power, then the bedrooms.

quote:

I've got my own colony going that was slightly influence by your guide and the whole "urban combat" thing. It does seem to work surprisingly well, except for when the bad guys have grenades. I really need to get weapons manufacturing on line so I can defend myself with more than just a Pistol, a survival rifle, a lovely looted H.SMG, and some grenades on the girl that can't shoot/melee for poo poo.

(all the switches are because I'm in the middle of switching to electrical lighting)

As a general question (not just to Hieronymous) the whole "stack ingredients" next to the kitchen stove is great, but it tends to result in meat spoiling a lot. I'm assuming this is mostly just a problem thanks to my small population, not many meals get made (I think I've got it set to 25 fine stockpiled) so the meat just sits and spoils.

BTW food poisoning cases seemed to go down a good amount when I partitioned the kitchen and created a separate room for butchering.

Yeah the stockpiles in the kitchen leads to a little wastage. Keeping it at 45 F ("refrigerated") helps minimize that. Separate room for butchering is probably smart too. One trick I'm still debating putting into the guide is having a forever order to make pemmican at the bottom so everything left over from meals gets turned into something that will keep long term.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 29, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The reason this happens is that it takes the pawns you've designated a motherfucking long-rear end time to load up all of the garbage you've designated. Possible approaches include designating more pawns, designating less garbage, or preemptively staging all of your desired garbage out into a pole barn and hoping your pack animals decided to park nearby for loading.

e: also, making sure your pawns are well-fed and -rested before they start loading.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LonsomeSon posted:

The reason this happens is that it takes the pawns you've designated a motherfucking long-rear end time to load up all of the garbage you've designated. Possible approaches include designating more pawns, designating less garbage, or preemptively staging all of your desired garbage out into a pole barn and hoping your pack animals decided to park nearby for loading.

e: also, making sure your pawns are well-fed and -rested before they start loading.

I am going with not balanced yet. Your caravans operate under different rules than NPC caravans. He either needs to abstract player caravans or give them the same advantages as NPC ones.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

The psychology mod.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
How do you guys organize your crafting rooms and stockpiles?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TipsyMcStagger posted:

How do you guys organize your crafting rooms and stockpiles?

Well, my example you can see in the colony screenshot a few posts up -- basically, I use one huge "low" priority stockpile in the center of the base, mostly roofed over,set to hold just about everything except nonperishables and corpses, with an unroofed center and in that center a separate stockpile for nonperishables (steel, plasteel). Then each workshop bench gets a "high" or "critical" priority stockpile of base materials right by the chair.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 29, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a moment I thought that would cause a hauler loop, but then I remembered the demand is too low for that to matter unlike cooking.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

oohhboy posted:

For a moment I thought that would cause a hauler loop, but then I remembered the demand is too low for that to matter unlike cooking.

It won't anyway -- haulers always take things to the highest priority stockpile with space available. Only time "nearest" stockpile happens is with finished crafted goods and those will get taken back to the roofed central stockpile (though they should all be using drop on floor anyway).

or wait maybe i'm misunderstanding you

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Well, my example you can see in the colony screenshot a few posts up -- basically, I use one huge "low" priority stockpile in the center of the base, mostly roofed over, with an unroofed center and in that center a separate stockpile for nonperishables (steel, plasteel). Then each workshop bench gets a "high" or "critical" priority stockpile of base materials right by the chair.

Can materials in stockpiles stack in the same spot?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have an issue where, upon hitting Generate at the Create world screen, it goes through the generation process, and then returns me to the Create World Screen.

Anyone else have this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Can materials in stockpiles stack in the same spot?

you can get "stacks" of the same material but those stacks don't stack -- i.e., you can have a stack of, I think it's 25 devilstrand, but not two stacks of devilstrand in the same tile, and nothing else can flop into that tile.

This can cause problems sometimes if you're butchering in a freezer or refrigerated room -- butcher too much at once and you'll flood the room tiles, the overflow will hold the room doors open, letting all the cold air out, then everything spoils . . . so much muffalo wasted.