Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Subroza has done absolutely horrible since joining CLG I wonder if he cheated his way to just a salary and stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Mesothelioma posted:

Don't get me wrong I really don't give a gently caress if players take drugs to perform better, I'm just curious how widespread it is in CS. Maybe I have a hosed up perspective, but I never understood why this stuff is frowned down upon in any sport really. If you're willing to dedicate your entire life to a game, ingesting something to perform better doesn't seem all that wrong to me.

It is arguably wrong for a myriad reasons but maybe it's best not to go into that here.

It's interesting to speculate I suppose, and the people who make these VAC videos are obviously really good at drumming up interest and maximising drama, probably having learned - consciously or subconsciously - from actual conspiracy theories. It's one of those things where in the moment you really can't know what was going on, which is intriguing. I am still extremely sceptical but some of them are probably legit. It's just a shame they're mixed in with completely innocuous mouse-hovers.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Eh you can't really look at in game stuff and decide if someone is cheating unless its ultra blatant like you get in mm. If its some soft lock thing that only makes you a good bit more likely to win it will be too marginal for the naked eye to really judge.

The only time I really thought someone was cheating it was subroza but not in any match, it was in that clip of him on aimbotz where he's flicking between the bots and the crosshair goes to the head but shimmies to the side really fast before going back on to the head. It absolutely looked like a hard lock that kicks in within some distance to being on the bot but his own natural hand movement bringing it there drags it off the bot temporarily. I've yet to see any other pro ever aim like that in his warmup vs the bots. Offhand I've scream, get right, freiburg and I think once nbk warming up on it. I don't have some huge collection of clip to link for comparison it just struck me as a what the gently caress is going on here kind of thing.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
That raises an interesting question for me -- who was the most prominent player banned for cheating in tier 1 competition? Was it KQLY? I know s1mple got banned from FaceIT or something for a year for cheating but obviously it seems to have blown over.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

canoshiz posted:

That raises an interesting question for me -- who was the most prominent player banned for cheating in tier 1 competition? Was it KQLY? I know s1mple got banned from FaceIT or something for a year for cheating but obviously it seems to have blown over.

Easily KQLY, I thought s1mple was banned for toxicity ?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
IIRC simple was banned for cheating/not using ESL wire (ESL anticheat) while playing 1.6 back in 2012 and had his ban extended in 2014 because he tried to evade said ban by playing under a different name in cs:go ESL games

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm 100% certain that there's some basic level of drug abuse in esports, probably amphetamines. They can drug-test all they want at LANs but for online events there's simply zero way to police it. I wouldn't be surprised if every competitive team is doping in some way because if one team is doing it, everyone else will have to do it just to keep up, which is unfortunate.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

RyokoTK posted:

I'm 100% certain that there's some basic level of drug abuse in esports, probably amphetamines. They can drug-test all they want at LANs but for online events there's simply zero way to police it. I wouldn't be surprised if every competitive team is doping in some way because if one team is doing it, everyone else will have to do it just to keep up, which is unfortunate.

Dazed and maybe shroud have said on stream that they tried playing on Adderall but they either didn't like how it felt or it actually negatively impacted their play. Different strokes, I guess. Pasha looks like he's constantly hopped up on something

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I dunno about adderal but I'm sure n0thing is eating fistfuls of nootropics to keep up with the youngsters

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

canoshiz posted:

Dazed and maybe shroud have said on stream that they tried playing on Adderall but they either didn't like how it felt or it actually negatively impacted their play. Different strokes, I guess. Pasha looks like he's constantly hopped up on something

steroids

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

canoshiz posted:

I was watching Dazed's stream the other night and before a game he left to go to the bathroom, which took like 15 seconds and resulted in him rubbing/wiping his nose throughout the entire match.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Macnult posted:

I was watching Dazed's stream the other night and before a game he left to go to the bathroom, which took like 15 seconds and resulted in him rubbing/wiping his nose throughout the entire match.

What, you don't do a little tootskie before sitting in a chair and playing video games all night? Casual

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

It seems like goons are more likely to have a six pack before loading the game up.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I need to do a couple of bumps if im to keep up with these 14 y/o prodigies

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

mcvey posted:

What, you don't do a little tootskie before sitting in a chair and playing video games all night? Casual

An hour before I'm ready to game I eat an entire sheet of acid and cover my arm with nicotine patches so that I don't aim with my wrist.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
the best combination of drugs for cs is to microdose weed for that clutch calm while non-stop chugging energy drinks, soda or coffee to keep your edge

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

The best drug combination for cs is life, laughter, and love

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Macnult posted:

Dazed isn't a professional player anymore anyway, plus that dude is high as gently caress all the time in Rank S, so that might be recreational drug use more than anything else. :shrug:

eta: Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like doping is more of an institutional problem than a player problem, i.e. the manager tells the players to visit the team doctor for a check-up "for their health" and the doc prescribes Adderall. Adderall is legal, surely the doctor knows what he's doing, right?

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 28, 2016

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Macnult posted:

The best drug combination for cs is life, laughter, and love

By the time you reach something like LEM you've long exhausted all those supplies and you'll need to rely on stronger stuff to advance

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I seem to play worse all jittery and hopped up on caffeine; if I'm having a beer or two or am sipping on whiskey I'm much more chill I seem to be better

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I get high on clutch plays

I've been sober for 30 years

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
State your rank, sens and choice of drugs before you give an opinion

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I make sure to k-hole before every comp game, tbh

surc
Aug 17, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

eta: Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like doping is more of an institutional problem than a player problem, i.e. the manager tells the players to visit the team doctor for a check-up "for their health" and the doc prescribes Adderall. Adderall is legal, surely the doctor knows what he's doing, right?

P-sure the issue is the same as in pro sports all over. You're one of the best, and you're getting paid to be the best (and in this case, you get prize money for winning tourneys), so while sometimes it might be a manager directly setting you up, it is often just the culture and pressure to perform in order to keep your contract that drives players to PEDs. Plus "In order to be competitive I have to, because other people are doing it and I know I'm as good as them, this is bullshit" type stuff.

You put a lot of highly competitive people in a high-pressure, competitive environment, make their money tied to their performance, and there's a thing that will give them an edge, a lot of them will want that edge. :shrug:

surc fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 28, 2016

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Depths posted:

State your rank, sens and choice of drugs before you give an opinion

MG1, .8@800, Eagle Rare bourbon

opinion:

your just bad

stump collector
May 28, 2007
dazed definitely plays better when he's high...on anything

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Part of the problem with the coming and going cheat hysteria is that most people with an opinion suck pretty hard at the game. And people can air their armchair suspicions constantly and then fall back when questioned that the cheats are undetectable and invisible. There's almost zero consistency in what people are accused of too.

In my opinion the top end of the scene is probably the cleanest it has ever been. Part of the whole cheating argument is that there more money so there's more motivation to cheat, but they also conveniently forget that players have never, ever had it so good in terms of salaries. And to cheat now is a death sentence for any of your aspirations. Non BYOC is the gold standard and are constant on the circuit. To hack consistently in that kind of environment is just about impossible.

Photex posted:

Subroza has done absolutely horrible since joining CLG I wonder if he cheated his way to just a salary and stopped

Back when the stakes were lower, anti-cheat was worthless (more so), LANs were mostly BYOC, and the money was usually pretty smallball, the temptation to cheat just to win is actually probably higher. These days the only real reason to cheat (as an aspirational pro) is to get noticed, to succeed in online tournaments and to breakthrough to the top flight where everything is cushy, and then hope you swim rather than sink when you get there.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
If you don't think theres a bunch of cheatin going on in tier 1 - 2 teams you a fool.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Buller posted:

If you don't think theres a bunch of cheatin going on in tier 1 - 2 teams you a fool.

If you think more than like 3 clips of that compilation linked earlier were even remotely suspicious then you're an even bigger fool. If there's any outright cheating in top-tier CS then it's not walling or aiming.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI&t=12s

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Im old enough to remember and have participated in the days of CAL/CPL when every team had a cheater.

I will always assume there is someone cheating until proven wrong.

Its also the reason I have flusha/Coldzera stickers on all my skins.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Buller posted:

n1 nova

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Mesothelioma posted:

Don't get me wrong I really don't give a gently caress if players take drugs to perform better, I'm just curious how widespread it is in CS. Maybe I have a hosed up perspective, but I never understood why this stuff is frowned down upon in any sport really. If you're willing to dedicate your entire life to a game, ingesting something to perform better doesn't seem all that wrong to me.

i would put money down that every single player at a major is taking a stimulant before id guess theres even 1 dude with cheats

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mesothelioma posted:

Encouraging drug abuse to win at video games is kind of a bad image.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
steel might not like adderall but i guarantee that kids on a massive cocktail of antidepressants and muscle relaxants 24/7

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Up Circle posted:

steel might not like adderall but i guarantee that kids on a massive cocktail of antidepressants and muscle relaxants 24/7

i'm pretty sure steel has admitted to being on anti-depressants before so that's no surprise.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I mean, props to the guy for taking antidepressants for his mental health. Why that's a talking point is insane to me.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
https://imgur.com/gallery/8fnOuXK

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm an outsider with e-sports because to me it was never a thing, sure cal and different little quake lans happened during the time when I was most competitive with fps, but e-sports to me is just boring. My worthless opinion aside, I play games regularly without an e-sports scene so if a meteor annihilated everyone at katowice, beyond the spectacle of destruction and the loss of life, everyone would really just move on and look to our true gods at Flipside to lead the next foray into super serious counter striking.

Maybe the Americans would get unbanned at that point, that'd be funny. People care too much about cheating accusations, whatever. They get busted, they get busted. They don't, well, too bad. It's like professional sports in multiple arenas, everyone pretty much suspects each other is on drugs or doing underhanded things during games, so everyone else does it a little bit, just enough to not get busted. Then they get busted. Whoopsie! Then no one cares after a week and there's a new spectacle of some kind. Guaranteed there's some pro players who cheat, but you may never catch them. No sense worrying about it. Just apply that logic to your daily MMs and you'll be a lot happier.

See how I just transformed that post from a seething dismissal of e-sports into a can-do attitude adjustment for yourself? Amazing. I'm the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Audax posted:

I mean, props to the guy for taking antidepressants for his mental health. Why that's a talking point is insane to me.

i didnt know that but i wasnt comparing it to addie i just wanted to be mean cuz steels a real weird fellow

and he got banned for skins!! haha!