Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Volkerball posted:

https://twitter.com/MannfredNikolai/status/813483703225741316

it's beyond hilarious that Bibi's campaign was the one who ran the ad claiming everyone else was a child.

What, exactly, are "working ties?" Like are they actually suspending trade and ejecting ambassadors, or are they just throwing a fit and saying they won't extradite criminals or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Volkerball posted:

That's up to Israeli voters.

I assume The people who arnt die hard right wing Zionists won't like pissing off the world.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I assume The people who arnt die hard right wing Zionists won't like pissing off the world.

Yeah I don't know how big a sect of the population that is.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

What, exactly, are "working ties?" Like are they actually suspending trade and ejecting ambassadors, or are they just throwing a fit and saying they won't extradite criminals or whatever?

My best guess, with the UK, France, Russia, and China on that list, it's not going to impact economic ties at all, unless Bibi really has gone batshit. Most likely it just means any ongoing agreement negotiations are on hold, extraditions will be ignored, and there aren't going to be any joint military exercises for the forseeable future.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's not what it says though:

It also calls all settlements illegal, so this doesn't contradict what I said at all. I specifically read the text after it was posted because I wanted to see the wording on the bit about the demand for dismantling post-2001 construction. So yes, it's a very confused and contradictory resolution.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kim Jong Il posted:

It also calls all settlements illegal, so this doesn't contradict what I said at all. I specifically read the text after it was posted because I wanted to see the wording on the bit about the demand for dismantling post-2001 construction. So yes, it's a very confused and contradictory resolution.
Are you seriously arguing again that the entirety of the settlement enterprise isn't illegal? The resolution states that the settlements are illegal because virtually every state in the world has acknowledged them as such, and this is hardly the first time its been acknowledged. What exactly are you getting your panties in a twist about?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

They'll allow the ambassadors to remain, just stop dealing with them, and Bibi will stop talking to foreign ministers from those countries.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

The settlements are illegal and the UNSC says that it doesn't recognize any of them unless they are agreed upon by the Palestinians, this has always been the outlook of the so called international community, it never changed.

This is just further refutation of Israel's "Facts on the Ground" doctrine, it's the world saying "Hey, we can see what you're doing, we're not playing along", that's it.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ride a white app in the footsteps of dawn, trying to find a start-up that's never, never, never been born

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm impressed that the totally not worthless American media managed to report this resolution as "killed by Trump's meddling on Twitter" and then suddenly it happened anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

It also calls all settlements illegal

Does it also say that water is wet?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Volkerball posted:

https://twitter.com/MannfredNikolai/status/813483703225741316

it's beyond hilarious that Bibi's campaign was the one who ran the ad claiming everyone else was a child.

This means war!

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/813826956215119872

Notably, the linked article mentions the possibility of Israel withdrawing its ambassador to New Zealand.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I was in the 'this doesn't matter' camp but maybe the Israeli government's freakout over it could push them away from their allies. The truth of the matter is that the resolution is extremely uncontroversial outside of the US and Israel - it is so obviously true that basically every other country has it as their official policy and would always vote for it. The only unusual thing is that the US did not veto it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If anything, the incoming Trump administration will draw more attention to this, on the assumption that strong support by Trump's rolling disaster will not be a net benefit for Israel's hard right.

It's a major change for Netanyahu because now he knows he cannot depend on elected Democrats to support Israel unconditionally.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/dhalperin/status/813954924824371204

dang

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Bibi bitches and moans and fronts like he's going to pick a fight with the entire planet, but behind all this bluster lies the heart of a coward.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...0a02_story.html

quote:

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the Jerusalem municipality on Wednesday to wait on approving new housing units in a bid to avoid further strain in U.S.-Israeli relations, a local official said.

Jerusalem’s Municipal Planning and Construction Committee had been scheduled to finalize construction plans for some 492 new homes in Jewish neighborhoods in East Jerusalem, despite a resolution approved Friday by the United Nations Security Council that views the settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem as having “no legal validity” and as a barrier to achieving peace with the Palestinians.

It's working!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

:drat:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Every strongman leader who sits at a desk and responds to every crisis by telling uniformed men to kill or jail brown people is a coward at heart. Actually responding to international criticism for goddamn once may be the gutsiest thing Bibi has done.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

he doublin' down on trump lmao

https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/814129958385831936

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm annoyed that Obama waited until now to piss off Bibi on purpose, this week has been gold

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

In the future, schoolchildren will be really loving confused when they read about the New Zealand - Israel War of 2017.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Obama is a coward.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

The Kingfish posted:

Obama is a coward.

Yes.

I really don't get why so people are so hyped about this, it just goes to show that there was a president who knew which side is up and had a pretty good grasp on how to go about unscrewing the i/p pooch but chose to do absolutely nothing for 8 years , this timid wrist slap which only sets the stage for Trump to win the favor of AIPAC is absolute dogshit and nothing to be pleased about.

Yes Bibi has taken it like a kid who had his toys taken away and it's hilarious but it's not gonna change anything.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Obama was excessively optimistic about the value of reason and discussion and good faith multilateral action? You don't loving say.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Obama is a coward.
Letting Kerry off the leash 3 weeks from the end of his presidency to give a speech that years ago would not be controversial is pretty dumb.

It shows how much the political class is terrified of AIPAC.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
At some point people will get used to Israel taking over the West Bank, just like China and Tibet, Russia and Crimea, and so forth. It seems like a lost cause.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sincx posted:

At some point people will get used to Israel taking over the West Bank, just like China and Tibet, Russia and Crimea, and so forth. It seems like a lost cause.

While those situations aren't great, the people in Tibet and Crimea are citizens of China and Russia. Israel doesn't have the ability to absorb the population of the West Bank, and governing millions of people while denying them citizenship is what will (hopefully) make that situation eventually untenable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If they hang on for just five years it won't be millions of people any more though.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Letting Kerry off the leash 3 weeks from the end of his presidency to give a speech that years ago would not be controversial is pretty dumb.

It shows how much the political class is terrified of AIPAC.

Given recent history, Obama's reluctance to take a politically controversial stance in advance of the US general election was exactly correct. There's not much to gain and a lot to lose for a US politician to come out against Israel, to AIPAC's credit. Too bad the Democrats lost anyway!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

sincx posted:

Don't forget the Golan Heights!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes.

I really don't get why so people are so hyped about this, it just goes to show that there was a president who knew which side is up and had a pretty good grasp on how to go about unscrewing the i/p pooch but chose to do absolutely nothing for 8 years , this timid wrist slap which only sets the stage for Trump to win the favor of AIPAC is absolute dogshit and nothing to be pleased about.

Yes Bibi has taken it like a kid who had his toys taken away and it's hilarious but it's not gonna change anything.

AIPAC is going to avoid Trump like a plague. They've built their brand on being a safe bipartisan choice for Israel-backers of any political allegiance, and they can't get away with that with a firebrand like Trump.

The only meaningful effect, I'd say, is domestic. By allowing the resolution through, Obama has dragged America's Israel policy onto the political stage and then given it a nice big shove, presumably knowing there's a good chance that it'll fall right into the middle of the civil war brewing behind the scenes in the Democratic Party. Fourteen Dem senators - including leadership figures like Schumer - publicly criticized or condemned their own party's very popular president for failing to veto the UN resolution. That's just more ammo for the activists who are already gearing up to pressure the Democratic establishment from the left, and whom will presumably be quite eager to have round 2 on yet another issue fought over in and immediately after the primaries.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

AIPAC is going to avoid Trump like a plague. They've built their brand on being a safe bipartisan choice for Israel-backers of any political allegiance, and they can't get away with that with a firebrand like Trump.

Wouldn't bet on it. They've gotten more partisan as Bibi himself has come to align himself more and more strongly with the Republicans. If Trump asks them to kiss the ring, they'll have a hard time resisting.

Main Paineframe posted:

The only meaningful effect, I'd say, is domestic. By allowing the resolution through, Obama has dragged America's Israel policy onto the political stage and then given it a nice big shove, presumably knowing there's a good chance that it'll fall right into the middle of the civil war brewing behind the scenes in the Democratic Party. Fourteen Dem senators - including leadership figures like Schumer - publicly criticized or condemned their own party's very popular president for failing to veto the UN resolution. That's just more ammo for the activists who are already gearing up to pressure the Democratic establishment from the left, and whom will presumably be quite eager to have round 2 on yet another issue fought over in and immediately after the primaries.

I think you're dramatically overestimating how much voters care about foreign policy, and how long this will be a prominent issue.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Wouldn't bet on it. They've gotten more partisan as Bibi himself has come to align himself more and more strongly with the Republicans. If Trump asks them to kiss the ring, they'll have a hard time resisting.

I think you're dramatically overestimating how much voters care about foreign policy, and how long this will be a prominent issue.

AIPAC haven't. Other pro-Israel organizations have blatantly taken sides, but aside from the ADL, most of the traditionally non-partisan organizations have been insistently refusing to comment on anything Trump for a good six months or more.

Israel is already a big wedge issue in the Democratic Party. The last couple of Democratic platforms have faced hard fights by pro-Palestinian groups seeking to tilt the platform in a more neutral direction, and while the party leadership has largely stuck to the traditional pro-Israel message and fought off challenges to that message, their control of the party is a lot less secure now that they've lost the election and plenty of rebel factions are ready to go another round with them in the new year.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Israel is already a big wedge issue in the Democratic Party. The last couple of Democratic platforms have faced hard fights by pro-Palestinian groups seeking to tilt the platform in a more neutral direction, and while the party leadership has largely stuck to the traditional pro-Israel message and fought off challenges to that message, their control of the party is a lot less secure now that they've lost the election and plenty of rebel factions are ready to go another round with them in the new year.

The DNC candidates are pretty much the only people not talking about the UN resolution, so it seems like something Democrats realize they're mostly better off not fighting about for now. Fighting a civil war over a tiny part of our giant collection of foreign policy obligations is pretty stupid when the real goal is beating Trump. I'm not saying the issue won't come up at all in the next election, but there are much bigger issues out there that actually affect American voters, and the candidate who wins based on those issue is going to be the one who gets to decide where to take the Democratic Party's Israel policy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As the situation in Israel dragged on with Obama doing really nothing about it, it became more of a contentious issue. Finally making a diplomatic maneuver was an important step to legitimize criticism of Israel among Democrats on the government level, which is really the only level remaining on the left that has any sympathy for Israel's hard right.

Israel/Palestine has gone from being a divisive issue of "Who can know which side is right? What does it mean to be right?" to "What Israel is doing is wrong."

For all Obama's reputation for being The Reasonable Centrist, he's clearly on the side of the party that is going to roundly reject empty suits like Schumer.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Miftan posted:

Don't forget the Golan Heights!

Israel's policy there has been drastically different though, and there's good documentation that they were relatively close to a deal with Assad several years ago.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Schumer's still probably going to be the most important Democratic leader for the next 2 years at least. If there's going to be an ongoing change, it's going to be up to the next Democratic president to lead it.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Schumer's still probably going to be the most important Democratic leader for the next 2 years at least. If there's going to be an ongoing change, it's going to be up to the next Democratic president to lead it.

someone needs to tell him politely he looks like an old lady when he does the glasses at the end of his nose thing

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes.

Him waiting until now makes me respect him less than if he didn't do it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is going to continue to be an issue. Haim Saban (major Dem donor) has opposed Keith Ellison because he is not pro-Israel enough