Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

at one point goons had spent over 300k, it was in a hilarious spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lnSE8rt46ufKtOxATJFUEWGQZ9O9e2rCpisFLOV_DU/htmlview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

These people are so brokebrained they have to hold hands and keep themselves in a hug pit and begin echoing their distaste for ANYONE not associated with the 'Star Citizen is my life' reassuring kum-ba-yah circle jerk. All dissenters and naysayers will be hung publicly. Scott Manley, you're always welcome here, buddy. Even if you love star citizen and have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in it, at least we won't try and cost you business, tarnish your reputation, and question your integrity.

I have always thought Scott Manley's SC vids were really matter of fact, like he isn't that bothered either way. He is usually pretty diplomatic the rare times he outwardly expresses doubt or concern. Citizens can't HANDLE that. You gotta be promoting, or a hater.

Anyway, as someone who follows Scott for his KSP, astronomy, space game run downs, and rocket engineering insights, it makes me laugh for people to rage at him over this tiny subset of his content, and judge him morally for it to boot.

Oleyo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 28, 2016

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

SirPhoebos posted:

Is 2.6 out yet?

A thing is out. They put "2.6" on the label. It is buggy af and is missing most of the previously promised features for what they have been calling 2.6 for months now.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Krycek posted:

A thing is out. They put "2.6" on the label. It is buggy af and is missing most of the previously promised features for what they have been calling 2.6 for months now.

Or put another way. Yes. CIG released 2.6.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

still funny

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I have completely lost track of who's a shill and who's a troll and who's being ironic and who's careposting and who's just regularly posting here to tell us how much we suck for regularly posting here

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I occasionally toy with the idea of buying back in

:eyepop:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Ayn Marx posted:

I have completely lost track of who's a shill and who's a troll and who's being ironic and who's careposting and who's just regularly posting here to tell us how much we suck for regularly posting here

Ahhh, the plan worked flawlessly then.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Can we agree on codewords to sign our posts with?

-- A Star Citizen shill

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I imagine there's one guy dressed like a cool 90s kid, with the backwards hat and everything. he's the one cool troll

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

scrubs season six posted:

Depends how you feel about nuclear holocausts.

I'm actually ok with those :D

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

lol really? Coming from the person that bought back in at 2.5k, after getting a charge-back/refund.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

1500 posted:

lol really? Coming from the person that bought back in at 2.5k, after getting a charge-back/refund.

:thejoke:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chunjee posted:

blog ends on the point, if CIG significantly slows the rate of accepting refund requests, it could cause a bank run type scenario where citizens realize the project is running low on funds and risk of project success is more likely to be questioned, resulting in even more 'withdraws'.
The recent introduction of a supposed "Tier 2 eCommerce team" could be an indication that there might be more refund resistance soon.

I don't think we'll ever see a court battle over a refund because it'll never be worth the cost, risk, and PR nightmare. It's easier to just run interference as a delay tactic while fishing whales.

This is why it's important to be up front with CIG and give them timelines. They are fully aware that any kind of investigation will require time and labor on their end, and the cost of having some overworked employee respond to a complaint with the LA Consumer Affairs Bureau and Attorney General is significantly more than the cost of auctioning a refund (that will likely be forced to happen anyway). If you don't give them a deadline then CIG will deprioritize you and leave you hanging, hoping that the next release will change your mind or you'll forget.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

I'm a post-ironic shirt poster if that helps. Also Derek smart alt.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Zzr posted:

A shame that Lazrin/Lethality/FactsAreUseless stopped his posts here. Instead he asked a pedo-antisemit and a doxxer-racist to troll here and promised that they wouldn't be banned by doing so.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. FAU is one of the few intelligent and rational goons left who still have their money in Star Citizen. He was also very kind and considerate when I complained about the state of this thread. Sadly his hands are somewhat tied since Lowtax is now friends with mr. Smart and other deplorables who troll here and elsewhere.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. FAU is one of the few intelligent and rational goons left who still have their money in Star Citizen. He was also very kind and considerate when I complained about the state of this thread. Sadly his hands are somewhat tied since Lowtax is now friends with mr. Smart and other deplorables who troll here and elsewhere.

You are extremely good

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/5kp7ke/star_citizen_eyes_realtime_reflections/

Faster, Pussycat! Shill, Shill!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Alot of these polished features were built into the Cryengine, so they realy arent spending millions on it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Decrepus posted:

Alot of these polished features were built into the Cryengine, so they realy arent spending millions on it.

Pivoting immediately to:

"Lumber yard is a fork of CryEngine. The move was painless as they both use the same version."

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

According to this, goons had spent 13% of the total in ships purchased, and were the largest org by :tenbux: spent? Is that true? And the community didn't see that group turning on the game and pulling out as a warning sign?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Sarsapariller posted:

Pivoting immediately to:

"Lumber yard is a fork of CryEngine. The move was painless as they both use the same version."

It only took two guys two days to do it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fundamental Truths About Star Citizen
1) $140 million and 5 years are not unreasonable numbers because they are developing new technology to realize a game beyond the scope of any other. Here, look at this new feature.
2) This new feature doesn't indicate any kind of dev time or money spent because it's built into the engine. Chris Roberts is an excellent steward of our money.
3) This new feature is our fault because they have to keep selling us stuff to produce the game- $140 million isn't enough to fund all these new features.
4) They've spent the last 4 years modifying the engine to the point that they completely rebranded it and had to hire all of the Crytek developers to come work on it.
5) The engine is still baseline enough that it can be swapped out for a completely different branch with no issues.
6) Most of the work of the last two years was on netcode and back end support, which is now complete, allowing the game to expand much faster.
7) Swapping to the new engine allows them to use Amazon's net code which is much better than theirs, and will allow the game to expand much faster.
8) What's in the game today is amazing, and if they were to stop development and just polish that and add some maps, they could probably release it there.
9) The current gameplay is clearly a pre-pre-alpha and fundamentally does not represent the final state of the game. Bugs should be expected.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

OB_Juan posted:

According to this, goons had spent 13% of the total in ships purchased, and were the largest org by :tenbux: spent? Is that true? And the community didn't see that group turning on the game and pulling out as a warning sign?

There's not even close to a chance that goons were the group deepest in to SC money wise, there were far larger and crazier whale groups.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

CIG is just going to release whatever they have done when they run out of money, and it will probably get a 6.5 on metacritic from kid gloves reviewers and 5.5 from user reviews due to 10s from fanboys and 0s from confused people who accidentally bought the game.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

OB_Juan posted:

You give them far too much credit methinks. The common backer line is that the Goons wanted to take over the direction the game was moving in, and when they were defeated by the godly forces of SC, the goons picked up their collective balls (sorry Titanic) and left, to attempt to ruin the game from the outside.

You couldn't make this poo poo up if you tried.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Decrepus posted:

quote:

Just what's in the game is already fairly fun, and if they were to stop development and just polish what and add some maps, they have could probably release it there.

You heard it, folks. SC is good enough to release, and it's even fairly fun.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/twerk17/v/110451332?t=28m18s

:gary:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

"I know basically nothing, AMA"

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZoA3byeoI

Also potentially your poo poo, much more likely to happen.

Surely they must have a budget of at least two hundred million to achieve all that fidelity. :colbert:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5637904/#Comment_5637904

Ben Parry - September 2015

:yarg:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ripptide posted:

You give them far too much credit methinks. The common backer line is that the Goons wanted to take over the direction the game was moving in, and when they were defeated by the godly forces of SC, the goons picked up their collective balls (sorry Titanic) and left, to attempt to ruin the game from the outside.

You couldn't make this poo poo up if you tried.

Because, goons ruin EVERYTHING, even WITHOUT our Glorious Leader, and even INCLUDING our own dead, gay comedy forums. You just don't understand apocalyptic troll development.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Ben Parrpy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hahaha someone go post that in the ED forums where he was shilling hard.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I haven't followed Star Citizen drama in years, but I heard a big patch was released so I found a stream on Twitch of the FPS game.

I don't understand how a company is supposed to be proud of this. I've seen tech demos that were more complete. I honestly tried to look for two positives about it and I can't even come up with one. If you removed the horrible hit detection, game breaking bugs, and rubberbanding the likes of which I haven't seen since Tribes, you'd be left with possibly the most bland FPS I've ever seen. It's also not pretty. It's grey.

I really wish Shattered Horizons 2 was ever a thing, the first one did space combat Right.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016
Has anyone mentioned that while developing an AAA game, they also had to build a company? I think this explains time spent.
Besides, most games take like three or four hardware- and/or human generations to develop, and that's just for the annual Call of Duty reskins.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Erenthal posted:

And it's such a meaningless number. Any old gently caress can simply create empty space and top that. Hell, Elite is bound to have orders of magnitudes more "space" to explore, right? It's about what content you can fill the space with, and CIG's pipelines are so far nothing but clogged drinking straws.

I remember hearing them (at Gamescom or something) bragging about how just the single existing system is a bajillion times larger than Skyrim, or Grand Theft Auto V. Non-spaceship games set in a region and state, respectively. :downs:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/twerk17/v/110451332?t=35m42s

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

What! I thought they just had to update an external or whatever it is called in Microsoft SourceSafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Diabeesting posted:

I haven't followed Star Citizen drama in years, but I heard a big patch was released so I found a stream on Twitch of the FPS game.

I don't understand how a company is supposed to be proud of this. I've seen tech demos that were more complete. I honestly tried to look for two positives about it and I can't even come up with one. If you removed the horrible hit detection, game breaking bugs, and rubberbanding the likes of which I haven't seen since Tribes, you'd be left with possibly the most bland FPS I've ever seen. It's also not pretty. It's grey.

I really wish Shattered Horizons 2 was ever a thing, the first one did space combat Right.

BLERMEK SPART?!