Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Let's be real here, MA is easily in the top 10 states but only because it isn't quite a totalitarian hellhole yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
NJ is great because it's located next to everything interesting, the food is good, and also we helped making chris christie a national punching bag

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

logikv9 posted:

NJ is great because it's located next to everything interesting, the food is good, and also we helped making chris christie a national punching bag

you elected him

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's also diverse as gently caress which is great

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well it is sort of surreal to drive by Holsten's on the way to work each day.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

etalian posted:

you elected him

it was between him and jon corzine and corzine sunk his chances after nearly dying, being awful, and calling christie a fat gently caress before it was socially acceptable to do so

there was also some third party dude who stole some votes and faded back into obscurity

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
make mcgreevey governor again

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

logikv9 posted:

it was between him and jon corzine and corzine sunk his chances after nearly dying, being awful, and calling christie a fat gently caress before it was socially acceptable to do so

there was also some third party dude who stole some votes and faded back into obscurity

NJ is the spawning ground for some of the lovely most incompetent dem leadership in the whole country.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've been reading a lot of stuff about the Rainbow Coalition lately (the real one, not Jesse Jackson's more sanitized version) and I'd encourage others to do the same.

http://areachicago.org/the-original-rainbow-coalition/

quote:

First of all, the Patriots’ leader William “Preacherman” Fesperman was one of the best human beings I have ever met. He was originally from North Carolina before he moved to Chicago. However, many of the Panthers left the group when we built alliances. Some didn’t like the Patriots, some just didn’t like white people in general. They were heavy into nationalism. To tell the truth, it was a necessary purging, except for these niggers took themselves out of the organization. The Rainbow Coalition was just a code word for class struggle. Preacherman would have stopped a bullet for me, and nearly tried. Once, I was in a meeting up in Uptown, and I decided to leave by myself. I immediately determined that the police were following me. I made the mistake of leaving alone.

The cop called out “You know what to do,” and I put my hands up against the wall. Preacherman came outside and saw what was going on, and in the cold of winter brought the men, women and the children outside. The cops put me in the car and they totally surrounded it, demanding my release. The cop called someone and they must have told him to let me go. I’ll never forget looking at all those brave motherfuckers standing in the light of the police car, but staring in the face of death. Looking back, was there enough basis for unity? Hell, yeah!

When I went to Uptown Chicago, I saw some of the worst slums imaginable. Horrible slums, and poor white people lived there. However, two organizations prepared the way for the Rainbow Coalition, without them there wouldn’t have been a chance of forming one. Rising Up Angry (rua) and join Community Union. The uptown neighborhood was prime recruiting zone for white supremacists. Most of the cats who were in the Patriots also had at least one family member in the Klan. Cats like Mike James and Jewnbug, and Tappis worked hard to fight that mentality. Mike James and rua drove a wedge in that bullshit, that white supremacist bullshit, their groundwork was just amazing, out of this world. When did you first meet the Young Patriots? It was at the Church of the Three Crosses. There was a meeting, and it was the one recorded in the movie American Revolution II. After the crowd left, the Patriots were still there. We asked the Minister if he could let us have his office. We asked the Patriots if they could work with the Panthers and they said yes. I didn’t even tell Fred for the first three weeks of meeting with these cats. It wasn’t easy to build an alliance. I advised them on how to set up “serve the people” programs—free breakfasts, people’s health clinics, all that. I had to run with those cats, break bread with them, hang out at the pool hall. I had to lay down on their couch, in their neighborhood. Then I had to invite them into mine. That was how the Rainbow Coalition was built, real slow. Then I contacted Cha Cha Jimenez from the Young Lords.

Fred Hampton got the idea of the Rainbow Coalition right away. He had been involved with the naacp as a youth, so he already had worked with white people, knew they weren’t all bad. It seems to me that a lot of the real intense government repression didn’t happen until the Black Panthers started building coalitions. Once the party departed from the “hate whitey” trip and got serious about building real politics, we were a threat—plain and simple. The FBI were always watching us. But the Rainbow Coalition was their worst nightmare. It was Daley’s worst nightmare too.

I need to grab myself a copy of American Revolution 2, has anyone actually seen it?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
don't slander the name of richard codey like that, who proved along with david paterson that the best governors never wanted to be governors in the first place

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Let's be real here, MA is easily in the top 10 states but only because it isn't quite a totalitarian hellhole yet.

Oh it's a totalitarian hellhole. It's just a democratic totalitarian hellhole. Which makes it ok ofc.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i expect political campaigns to be vanguards of political revolution

*shits pants cause too stupid to remove them*

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

MA's problem is that it has a lot of Dems who'd be Rs in another state, albeit "moderate" Kasich Krew Rs. There's also a lot of corruption. DeLeo has basically named himself Speaker for Life and Rosenberg, despite decent progressive credentials, is dirty to his elbows too. It's hard to mount a credible progressive challenge to either (and it may not be necessary in Rosenberg's case, but until we do we'll get poo poo like this.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

paranoid randroid posted:

i hate fuckin Fight Song so god drat much, unironically

if you handed me hard data showing that Fight Song lost the election for HRC, id throw it back in your face and shout "UH, DOY, IDIOT"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

MA's problem is that it has a lot of Dems who'd be Rs in another state, albeit "moderate" Kasich Krew Rs. There's also a lot of corruption. DeLeo has basically named himself Speaker for Life and Rosenberg, despite decent progressive credentials, is dirty to his elbows too. It's hard to mount a credible progressive challenge to either (and it may not be necessary in Rosenberg's case, but until we do we'll get poo poo like this.

This was what Kentucky was like when I was growing up and now it's been solidly red, other than a brief sanity break for a few years, for like 20 years. Once the tide turned for the GOP, all the Democrats who were really Republicans just switched parties.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

IL, while prominent, is an easy shoe-in for middle 25 because while you have Chicagoland, you have a piss fight between a bad governor (typical) and Michael Madigan (typical) and nothing ever gets done.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

etalian posted:

NJ is the spawning ground for some of the lovely most incompetent dem leadership in the whole country. fishmech

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the results of gallup's "most admired man" and "most admired woman" polls have come in

Obama beat out Trump to take the most-admired man title for the ninth straight year

Hillary Clinton won the most-admired woman title for the fifteenth straight year

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

the results of gallup's "most admired man" and "most admired woman" polls have come in

Obama beat out Trump to take the most-admired man title for the ninth straight year

Hillary Clinton won the most-admired woman title for the fifteenth straight year

Well we know what he'll be tweeting about tonight, then.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Haha, apparently posting a TIL about the Rainbow Coalition on Reddit is not allowed because it's considered an "inflammatory submission about race"

I don't know why I thought it would be fun to try and post something on Reddit. (I actually tried twice, the first time it was removed for not having a good enough source, this is the second try)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Haha, apparently posting a TIL about the Rainbow Coalition on Reddit is not allowed because it's considered an "inflammatory submission about race"

im completely unsurprised by this revelation

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

same

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Yo simone biles was robbed

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Oprah shouldn't have retired and Hillary def should have

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Imagine losing so disastrously and still being admired more than an incredibly talented gymnast who, let's face it, would have stormed the election too.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Imagine losing so disastrously and still being admired more than an incredibly talented gymnast who, let's face it, would have stormed the election too.

Whitey stealin from the black folks ONCE AGAIN

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Biles/Phelps 2020 dream ticket for the Dems? just thinking here

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
True faces of American exceptionalism versus a man who can't even drink or smoke, what a fuckin nerd

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Biles/Phelps 2020 dream ticket for the Dems? just thinking here

Biles/that one Muslim fencer that put Trump on blast

VP debate is her swordfighting Pence

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Biles/that one Muslim fencer that put Trump on blast

VP debate is her swordfighting Pence
I think Phelps would just obviously have the potential to crush his old head without any need for épées + similar.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Retaliatory 2024 republican ticket of Jim Furyk and fuckin Earl Strickland gets tanked, obviously.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

1.3 billion dollars well spent imo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

jBrereton posted:

I think Phelps would just obviously have the potential to crush his old head without any need for épées + similar.

[extremely Chuck Todd voice] well i think Muhammad clearly laid out the democratic policy platform, and cutting her initials in Vice President Pences shirt was a nice flourish, but the Princess Bride quotes were a bit much

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Hillary Budget 2016:

Glass confetti
Fight song
Sensual pantsuit anthem
Campaigning in upper Midwest
two factor authentication to protect emails

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

LinYutang posted:

Hillary Budget 2016:

Glass confetti
Fight song
Sensual pantsuit anthem
Campaigning in upper Midwest
two factor authentication to protect emails

closet with cute intern to distract bill from talking about needing to campaign to working class white voters
opening of new pizza shops for john podesta

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

this terrible shitfucking year is nearly over

what are your new years resolutions, demgoons

mine is to get more involved in my community and environmental causes in general

and to guillotine unbelievers

I don't have a guillotine though you can't just buy that poo poo at home depot so idk when that will happen

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

UHD posted:

this terrible shitfucking year is nearly over

what are your new years resolutions, demgoons

mine is to get more involved in my community and environmental causes in general

and to guillotine unbelievers

I don't have a guillotine though you can't just buy that poo poo at home depot so idk when that will happen

sounds like you need to learn do-it-yourself projects next year too

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My resolution is to be nicer

Its a work in progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Pedantically and aggressively critiquing people taking positive IRL action should be the highest priority in 2017

• Locked thread