Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
And in that show where so much character death was to be had, a surprising amount of people made it out of the final episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They did, but let's not pretend that he thought characters shouldn't die on both sides regularly during that show. I'm pretty sure he's even stated during interviews that any time he felt the show was lacking drama/stakes or that he felt it was getting boring he just killed some characters to add some excitement in. It's debatable whether it worked, but he wasn't adverse to using character death is the point.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

TheManSeries posted:

Realistically, I think Mika isnt even the main protagonist anymore. There's a dynamic between him and Orga, but the S2 has way less focus on him.

I'd like to state that this show hasn't had a proper protagonist in quite awhile, and the more ambiguous things get for Tekkadan the less they feel the need to draw focus to one character for more than a few episodes. Even then, the writing has things going on up, down, everywhere. We're dealing with a situation similiar to Dougram or Turn A Gundam where the plot shifts around to show as much of the world view and inter-personal relations as possible, and I love it to death.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Cross-posting from the Gunpla thread, since plot speculation seems more this thread's size:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GundamGuy has images for a new IBO kit, the Hekija. The creamsicle-tan parts aren't great, but I like the rest of it and might get one.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The face, shoulders and clown feet make me think its another teiwaz unit and then weapons makes me think its another grunt. Teiwaz you just got done combat testing your newest grunt unit and you are making ANOTHER one?

Darth Walrus posted:

It looks like an exact hybrid between the Teiwaz Hyakuri and the Gjallarhorn Reginlaze, with a Calamity War-era Ahab reactor. The colours suggest it might be the new ride we've been told Julietta's getting, but crossing over her bleeding-edge super-prototype with a good-but-not-amazing semi-modern suit seems like a peculiar idea.

That, of the colours are totally misleading and it's a new custom machine for Lafter. It resembles her old suit, and the great big cleaver could be a homage to the weapons used by Tekkadan's Landman Rodis.

muike posted:

this one is probably for the donomikols faction

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I love that design, it's a shame about the colors.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
R-Jarja would be proud of those weapons.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Hey, whatever happened with that design spec we saw of the Mobile Suit with the fedora and the switch blade? Was that manga only? Thank god.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AtheistMantis posted:

Hey, whatever happened with that design spec we saw of the Mobile Suit with the fedora and the switch blade? Was that manga only? Thank god.

Yeah, that was always from the manga.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I love that design, it's a shame about the colors.

The colors are starting to grow on me, I think it's because it uses the same color palette as the Tekkadan jackets so I'm already kinda use to it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i am fine with the colors too! for whatever reason i think teal and that beige go decently together

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's pretty much the standard Arianrhod colours. The yellow is just more prominent than usual, rather than being restricted to the glow from the eye(s) and Ahab reactor.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The manual for the Vidar does state that the control system/cockpit is unusual, so for everybody who's waiting for the shoe to drop on that one I think you're on the right track.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

The manual for the Vidar does state that the control system/cockpit is unusual, so for everybody who's waiting for the shoe to drop on that one I think you're on the right track.

I'd wager he's got Ein tucked in the back so when the time comes he can throw down properly with Mikazuki.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

muike posted:

I swear to god if there isn't some Einborg in there I'm gonna throw a tantrum :colbert:

Edit: beaten like Iok

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Adel posted:

Edit: beaten like Iok

Isn't the main problem with Iok that he hasn't been beaten enough, though?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zebulon posted:

Isn't the main problem with Iok that he hasn't been beaten enough, though?

He's been beaten enough, problem is no one has left him die yet. It would be sort of cathartic that he screws up one last time and Rustal himself gives the go ahead to leave him because he's been that much of a liability.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He's been beaten enough, problem is no one has left him die yet. It would be sort of cathartic that he screws up one last time and Rustal himself gives the go ahead to leave him because he's been that much of a liability.

Iok went onto a hostile planet with a small suit retinue and ended up trashing most of the enemy's best pilots, permanently crippling the most dangerous one of them, killing a whole bunch of their employees, and severely damaging two of their main income sources.

I seriously doubt that Rustal will completely let him go any time soon - he's his own pocket WMD.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Iok went onto a hostile planet with a small suit retinue and ended up trashing most of the enemy's best pilots, permanently crippling the most dangerous one of them, killing a whole bunch of their employees, and severely damaging two of their main income sources.

I seriously doubt that Rustal will completely let him go any time soon - he's his own pocket WMD.

I dont think anyone could try to spin Ioks action as ultimately favorable to Rustal but here we are.

I mean, its not like the show itself is telling you that Rustal lost major face and got himself into a worse political position because of him to the point that he said any more of that poo poo and he'd cut Iok loose. You know the thing that is making Iok overcorrect by getting the mob directly involved into all of this.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean just thinking about the whole thing a little harder, even something like "Your actions crippled the enemy ace!" is Ioked up, because now youve given that enemy ace no reason to not be in the battlefield, because thats where he can feel the most alive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont think anyone could try to spin Ioks action as ultimately favorable to Rustal but here we are.

I mean, its not like the show itself is telling you that Rustal lost major face and got himself into a worse political position because of him to the point that he said any more of that poo poo and he'd cut Iok loose. You know the thing that is making Iok overcorrect by getting the mob directly involved into all of this.

You missed the joke pretty hard there, man.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I still say Galy was literal in saying Ein was near him. My money's still on his helmet being some part of Ein there.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

:laugh:

Tae posted:

I still say Galy was literal in saying Ein was near him. My money's still on his helmet being some part of Ein there.

Same, though I favor Ein being in the Vidar. Maybe they do co-op piloting and that's why Gaelio has so much fun fighting now :unsmith:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So considering the whole Order of the Stars thing, shouldn't Mika be space nobility now?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zerilan posted:

So considering the whole Order of the Stars thing, shouldn't Mika be space nobility now?

It sounds like they just want to sweep the whole issue under the rug. Fareed's letting it go to look good in the eyes of the Seven Stars by not jumping at the first chance to upset everything.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nevermind that it might not matter in the current era of Gjallarhorn since it's been centuries since the Calamity War. It's also really risky since McGillis risks overplaying his hand and alerting the others that he's trying to shake up the status quo more than a little bit of cleaning house. The whole Order of the Seven Stars relies on the other families recognizing what it means too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

Nevermind that it might not matter in the current era of Gjallarhorn since it's been centuries since the Calamity War. It's also really risky since McGillis risks overplaying his hand and alerting the others that he's trying to shake up the status quo more than a little bit of cleaning house. The whole Order of the Seven Stars relies on the other families recognizing what it means too.

They clearly did if their first leap of logic to McGillis' potential plans were "holy poo poo, he's going to try and snag himself an Order :stare:"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zerilan posted:

It's likely that Mika would to press his claim and need a Seven Stars member(McGillis) supporting his claim for it to be considered seriously by the Seven Stars as a whole. I doubt McGillis would support such a play, both because it would put Mika in a higher position of authority than him and also because of what Neddy said:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It sounds like they just want to sweep the whole issue under the rug. Fareed's letting it go to look good in the eyes of the Seven Stars by not jumping at the first chance to upset everything.

This, basically. It lets McGillis look incredibly good and devoted to Gjallarhorn that he kept his head and dealt with the situation without trying to claim credit for himself or his subordinates and also makes Iok(and by extension Rustal) look like a giant moron for causing the situation in the first place. It's why Rustal was so cold and short with Iok, because Iok basically handed McGillis a political victory on a plate by being an idiot.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
it's actually perfectly realistic for space nobility to say 'if you do this thing you have divine right', and then when some peasant somehow pulls it off they turn around and tell him 'whoa, hey, cool your horses now, what say we drop your taxes and you forget this ever happened, that whole divine right thing only actually applies to the highborn'

i knew immediately Mika was going to be the one to slay the dragon - i can also tell you right now that he isn't getting jack poo poo for doing so

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyra_Solune posted:

it's actually perfectly realistic for space nobility to say 'if you do this thing you have divine right', and then when some peasant somehow pulls it off they turn around and tell him 'whoa, hey, cool your horses now, what say we drop your taxes and you forget this ever happened, that whole divine right thing only actually applies to the highborn'

i knew immediately Mika was going to be the one to slay the dragon - i can also tell you right now that he isn't getting jack poo poo for doing so

Not quite. There was a stated thing where they were all doing it for a Seven Stars member rather than themselves, so they might not qualify for their own. Julieta was determined to obtain one in the name of Rustal, remember. Mikazuki offing the MA would've gotten McGillis the Order rather than one for himself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm just impressed with how much Iok hosed up at this point.

He took a situation that would, by all odds, have been a controlled demolition and not only got hundreds of people (including his own men) killed, not only stained his reputation and the reputation of everyone working with him, but he managed to set things up so McGillis moved from "Alright, I got enemies, but I also got friends (correction. Useful playing pieces. Kinda murdered my friends. Don't regret it, though!). Play this smart and careful, like everyone else, take over by prestige and public acclaim" to "You know what loving rules? Violent revolutions. Screw political stability! Imma get a Gundam!"

Most people jumping into complicated political games like an idiot don't manage to gently caress everyone over, but Iok, he found a way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm just impressed with how much Iok hosed up at this point.

He took a situation that would, by all odds, have been a controlled demolition and not only got hundreds of people (including his own men) killed, not only stained his reputation and the reputation of everyone working with him, but he managed to set things up so McGillis moved from "Alright, I got enemies, but I also got friends (correction. Useful playing pieces. Kinda murdered my friends. Don't regret it, though!). Play this smart and careful, like everyone else, take over by prestige and public acclaim" to "You know what loving rules? Violent revolutions. Screw political stability! Imma get a Gundam!"

Most people jumping into complicated political games like an idiot don't manage to gently caress everyone over, but Iok, he found a way.

There's something about this that seems very appropriate to 2016, but gee, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The fact he's still alive at all seems to disprove the idea that he's been beaten enough.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zebulon posted:

The fact he's still alive at all seems to disprove the idea that he's been beaten enough.

He's already on notice and he decided that what he really needs is to get the mob into it. The mob who he's been indirectly leading into a civil war. Naze went from a mid ranking member of the organization to potential underboss. He's inadvertently gunning for Michelobs position which is going to spook the poo poo out of him.

A lot of the conflicts so far seem to be about people rising up in positions/rankings and those above them getting pissed off about it. Teiwaz is going through it and so is GH. Despite his machinations,McG is probably at the very bottom of the GH totem pole.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyra_Solune posted:

i knew immediately Mika was going to be the one to slay the dragon

Well he's the main character, and by far the best pilot on the protagonist's side so it's not exactly a difficult call to make.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
...there's no new episode today because new years', is there
I should probably have known that's a thing D:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

junopsis posted:

...there's no new episode today because new years', is there
I should probably have known that's a thing D:

Also, there's a special program in the IBO timeslot next week, so we'll be back to traumatised child soldier fun on the fifteenth.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, there's a special program in the IBO timeslot next week, so we'll be back to traumatised child soldier fun on the fifteenth.

dangit. Thanks for the heads up, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. Are they going to lose two episodes from their run? That's a little rough.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They took a week off for New Year's in season 1 so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, it's normal for two-cour winter shows to take a week off over New Year. The extra missing week is less usual, but these things happen. Gives them more time to work on the second half, too - there's been little signs of a strained production showing here and there, like Hush's insane chin in one episode.

• Locked thread