Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
JoOoOiIiIin Ussssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Trynant posted:

Combat Commander is where I started and I certainly recommend it. Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer is alright, Conflict of Heroes is also a good choice. ASL Starter Kit 1 (2 and 3 are much better purchases AFTER the first) is actually an okay starting point as well, and you'd be surprised how much you can get out of that box (it's also like $30 and that's pretty good value).

Do 2 and 3 come with all the units in SK1 + whatever they add?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

goodness posted:

Do 2 and 3 come with all the units in SK1 + whatever they add?

No, each Starter Kit is treated as its own thing. SK2 has its own scenarios and counters.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

al-azad posted:

What do you guys recommend for newcomers to squad level? Combat Commander or *gulp* ASL? Looking to get the most out of one box so it would be either CC: Europe or Beyond Valor.

Here is my earlier post in the thread where I elaborate on why I like Combat Commander so much. If you're really set on doing only one box the random scenario generator will probably be really attractive.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 27, 2016

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Where Eagles Dare update:

I almost had a catastrophe today: I was doing one of the small scenarios and found out the coffee mug I was using was recently out of the dishwasher and not entirely dry. Almost lost three essential, unique counters from that. Thankfully the damage was minimal thanks to panicked blow dryer use.

After loving around with the small scenarios and having printed out errata and set up cards, I went for starting the full campaign. Here's some pictures of the start-of-game stuff.

The front line with the XXX Corps against the germans setup in improved positions (thus the myriad of "IP" markers). I'm about to roll for five barrages, with five more noted down for later turns.

Here's the result post-barrage and air strikes.

The air-drops were remarkably successful, though I botched a modifier in the 101st's favor for some of the rolls.

Aaaand here's the full*, plexi-glass covered thing.

*technically I still need the extra few hundred dollars for The Devil's Cauldron and the tables + accessories for it, but I figure I can play this again when that happens...eventually.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So does GMT games ever give you a notification that your package is shipped or does "Currently shipping" or whatever mean that they'll get to it eventually and THEN send me a tracking number and/or notification?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So does GMT games ever give you a notification that your package is shipped or does "Currently shipping" or whatever mean that they'll get to it eventually and THEN send me a tracking number and/or notification?

From all the comments I've seen on Facebook, it's pretty much a surprise when a P500 shows up. Supposedly they're moving to a whole new warehouse management/shipping system, so maybe this will improve in the near future?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

From all the comments I've seen on Facebook, it's pretty much a surprise when a P500 shows up.

:toot: Sounds like fun, if only it was still Christmas!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I've only gotten tracking info from GMT even for normal orders once or twice. Half the time the order never even gets marked as shipped. So, yeah, a surprise.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If anyone reads French, or cares enough even if they don't, someone wrote a goddamn 75 page strategy guide to Napoleon's Triumph.

In French.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1696480/napoleons-triumph-guide-tactique-en-francais-frenc

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

très bon(aparte)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I received notification that No Retreat would be shipping, and then one day it arrived. Falling Sky was the same, a magic email and an even more magical box a few weeks later.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'm poking around having a look at games about Stalingrad and read that Excalibre Games reprinted SPI's Battle for Stalingrad. So off I go to check it out.

Go to Excalibre's site and...huh...the site looks kind of basic, but hey, there's a link to their catalog. A PDF of their 2014 advertising flyer awaits! No product descriptions beyond the bog-standard three sentence overview, and certainly no pictures or product shots.

Click on the "Order Form" and hell-loving-yeah, mother fuckers! It's Excel spreadsheet time! No shipping info. No tax info. And no address.

Why even go through the motions if you don't want to sell a single game?

https://www.excalibregames.com

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm poking around having a look at games about Stalingrad and read that Excalibre Games reprinted SPI's Battle for Stalingrad. So off I go to check it out.

Go to Excalibre's site and...huh...the site looks kind of basic, but hey, there's a link to their catalog. A PDF of their 2014 advertising flyer awaits! No product descriptions beyond the bog-standard three sentence overview, and certainly no pictures or product shots.

Click on the "Order Form" and hell-loving-yeah, mother fuckers! It's Excel spreadsheet time! No shipping info. No tax info. And no address.

Why even go through the motions if you don't want to sell a single game?

https://www.excalibregames.com
I actually had a look at that and wow, how is that even possible in 2016. I was half-surprised that it didn't ask you to fax stuff to them. And also the address is on the advertising flyer, of course!

I've been reading more into Pendragon and I'm actually getting more and more interested as time progresses. This isn't a COIN but it does sound like my cup of tea, might P500 it as a try-out for the EU-friendly shipping. I liked Falling Sky and I think it's interesting that the system can take different shapes from its COIN roots.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So, my Oregon Lamentations clipper arrived, but after a few trials it seemed like it had a manufacturing error: every once in a while it would clip off a chunk of the side of the counter along with the corner. As I reached for the box to work on my return options, a nut fell out. Apparently it had come off in shipping and without it the torque was misaligned and tearing slippage would occur. With both nuts securely fastened it seems to work perfectly.

So remember to always check your nuts. It only cost me a Distant Plain terror counter, but it could cost you everything.

Edit: does AH's Advanced Civilization count as a wargame? It's got counters and genocide...

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

anti_strunt posted:

Edit: does AH's Advanced Civilization count as a wargame? It's got counters and genocide...

It counts as much as Virgin Queen and Here I Stand do. Take that for what you will.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

holy loving lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:yikes:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Speaking of ASL, I finally finished cataloging all my scenarios. Fuckin'... lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why are so many unplayable?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well since it's ASL the Total Playable should inherently be 0. *ducks*

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SavageMessiah posted:

Well since it's ASL the Total Playable should inherently be 0. *ducks*

Wow, rude.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A scenario is marked unplayable if I'm missing either the country's pieces, any overlays, or any of the maps needed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

A scenario is marked unplayable if I'm missing either the country's pieces, any overlays, or any of the maps needed.

Oh, so you artificially deflated your playable count :D

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Technically they are all playable if I play in vassal

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Picked up a copy of Wing Leader for £40 :D

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think I've finally realised I do not like Tactical level games. If you are in the UK/EU and want some good quality copies of CC:E/M/P, let me know.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tekopo posted:

I think I've finally realised I do not like Tactical level games. If you are in the UK/EU and want some good quality copies of CC:E/M/P, let me know.

Maybe you've just been playing the wrong ones... have you tried this tactical game that no one ever really talks about? It's based on the old avalon hill Squad Leader and it's called ADVANCED Squad Leader. It's very advanced, you see.

Speaking of ASL, I just got my latest stack of deep dish counter trays (my preferred storage solution for ASL) and I'm trying to decide how to organize these all these vehicles. I've seen a bunch of different ways of doing it, but curious what you guys do?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

Speaking of ASL, I just got my latest stack of deep dish counter trays (my preferred storage solution for ASL) and I'm trying to decide how to organize these all these vehicles. I've seen a bunch of different ways of doing it, but curious what you guys do?

The most common space-saving ways are to combine them by movement points or by gun caliber (the latter is what I do... the L, LL, *, etc. designations tend to be separate as well)

edit-- Coin envelopes are another great option, I'm thinking about moving to this system, and keeping the envelopes in a card longbox:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 29, 2016

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Trynant posted:

It counts as much as Virgin Queen and Here I Stand do. Take that for what you will.

So has anyone tried the Mega Civilization reprint? Not that I'll ever play with 17 other folks, but I wonder how the changes, new map and new techs would play for 5-6.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

You loving lie m8, you love nappys triumph

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright, alright, WWII tactical level games. Better?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Okay silly question. Here's my wargame shelf, they are all games I got for free from random people. What I want to know is, if I wanted to choose one to play with a friend, neither of us having played it, and neither of us having much experience with h&c wargames (but decent amounts with block wargames like simmons, sekigahara, columbia)...anything pop out as a good idea? Most of them are probably utter poo poo and should be burned?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

silvergoose posted:

Okay silly question. Here's my wargame shelf, they are all games I got for free from random people. What I want to know is, if I wanted to choose one to play with a friend, neither of us having played it, and neither of us having much experience with h&c wargames (but decent amounts with block wargames like simmons, sekigahara, columbia)...anything pop out as a good idea? Most of them are probably utter poo poo and should be burned?

I have Anzio and I'm not a fan of it. I'm also not 100% sold on Panzer Leader. I don't have any experience with any of the rest of those. I think the best game in the vein of old AH stuff is Stalingrad/The Russian Campaign. There's a billion Barbarossa games but TRC is a true classic. Yeah, it's a little creaky but is very fun and not overburdened with weird rules.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

silvergoose posted:

Pretty nice collection of old standards you got there. I can smell the muskiness from here.

Panzer Leader is a poster child for older h&c games. It's one of those games that "everyone" has played (that or one of its siblings, Panzer Blitz and Arab-Israeli Wars). It would probably be the most accessible but it is very much a product of its time. It shows its golden age.

Alexander has held up well over the years and has this interesting sliding-scale morale system that helps with replayability. One of the ugliest maps in human history though.

Guadalcanal was light and easy to get into. IIRC it actually got reprinted at one point in a modern-ish package (Smithsonian Games I think?).

Third Reich was solid/popular for its time but would probably be too much for one sitting.

Tobruk is a game on par/in competition with ASL except more focused on tanks and vehicles. It's since be reborn as the Advanced Tobruk System by Critical Hit. Call it a small but loyal following.

Head into CSW or BGG for more. You might be able to find buyers among nostalgic dudes for stuff you don't want to keep.

Erghh fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 30, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to read through panzer leader's rules, then; any ideas as to which scenario I should start with?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

silvergoose posted:

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to read through panzer leader's rules, then; any ideas as to which scenario I should start with?

I remember the first couple having balance issues but good for learning the system. Emphasis on memory here.

Have a fan site that has a bunch of stuff: http://gregpanzerblitz.com/

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Played my first game of Washington's War today. Took about 5.5 hours total with lots of time to study the rules. I lost by 2 colonies, and would have taken them if not for 2 PC markers. Very impressed with the game and would have immediately played another round if it wasn't late. My opponent got lucky, smashed Howes army on the first card, and was able to control the seaboard shortly after. Losing the Regulars +1 bonus really hurt.

Saedar
Nov 4, 2009

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
Hey thread, I am looking to expand my war gaming horizons away from the miniature variety and try something with hexes...I am interested in grabbing one of the conflict of heroes games and I am wondering if the first edition of Awakening the bear is still a good buy or if I should just go with Guadalcanal? I am interested in both theatres almost equally if that helps. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Saedar posted:

Hey thread, I am looking to expand my war gaming horizons away from the miniature variety and try something with hexes...I am interested in grabbing one of the conflict of heroes games and I am wondering if the first edition of Awakening the bear is still a good buy or if I should just go with Guadalcanal? I am interested in both theatres almost equally if that helps. Thanks!

Awakening the Bear 1st edition isn't compatible with the Solo Expansion, and has ugly-as-poo poo maps.

So, if you don't care about those things, go for it if you can find it cheap. Otherwise, I've heard great things about Guadalcanal.