Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

think "unboxing videos" belong up there somewhere

Unboxing videos led to The Unboxing Ring by the Mega64 boys which are probably the greatest videos on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ZTEJwd2x8-jvV9xJUvpn7t8QC8UTH4i
You probably won't watch them but if for whatever reason you have 3 hours they're some of the greatest human drama ever put to film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Fabricated posted:

We don't really know enough about their morals in general.

Like...why would this weasel-like kinda jumpy coward freighter pilot defect? What was he told or what did he see that caused a moral epiphany that made him do something that have seen him being dissected in a torture chamber?

Krennec was going to turn him over to Vader because he parked the shuttle 10 miles away from the farmhouse in the first scene and made everybody walk all that way for nothing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you stayed as an animal for more than two hours you were stuck and could never turn back. In the first book one of them got stuck as a red-tailed hawk But it meant he never had to go back to his abusive home so he was fine with it. He just lived in the woods and ate baby rabbits

Lol, by the end of it one of the main characters was accused of committing war crimes and another sacrificed herself in a suicide bomb bear attack.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i went and read the wikipedia description of dirk gentlys detective agency and wowza. I love the HGttG series but the book's story for DG is really really bad and not at all something I would have enjoyed spending time getting through. Max Landis actually polished that turd into a great little story, Adams would have enjoyed it.

yalls fuckin up if you havent watched it because of the landis connection, it's legit good and fun

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

i went and read the wikipedia description of dirk gentlys detective agency and wowza. I love the HGttG series but the book's story for DG is really really bad and not at all something I would have enjoyed spending time getting through. Max Landis actually polished that turd into a great little story, Adams would have enjoyed it.

yalls fuckin up if you havent watched it because of the landis connection, it's legit good and fun

Well, I'm not watching it because a friend of mine, who's opinion I usually trust on these matters, told me it was just terrible. Which seems to be what I'm hearing about this one.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Randarkman posted:

Well, I'm not watching it because a friend of mine, who's opinion I usually trust on these matters, told me it was just terrible. Which seems to be what I'm hearing about this one.

u should be ur own person and enjoy the things you feel like, tahts what i do. if this show is one of the things u dont feel like then CONGRATULATIONS!!! ur already doing it!!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Watching DG now and I liked the first ep, so looking good so far!

Also Vancouver posing as Seattle, AGAIN. Better than it posing as the Bronx I suppose.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Fellbat posted:

Just watched the film, and uh, It's pretty hosed up to CGI Frankenstein a dude back to life when his last dying wish was to just loving die already. Peter Cushing was distraught in way only a English stiffer up lip man could be after his wife passed on. Reminds me of when RLM made a joke about CGI Robert Downy JR. replacing himself after he retired from Iron-man, so he could sell shlock forever.

Speaking of RDJ where the gently caress was the team that made a young RDJ for this movie? Marvel's de-aging and aging effects are miles beyond Rogue One's (Young Kirk Douglas, Old Peggy, Skinny Steve, RDJ, etc...). Since it's Disney there's no excuse either.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Archaic posted:

Speaking of RDJ where the gently caress was the team that made a young RDJ for this movie? Marvel's de-aging and aging effects are miles beyond Rogue One's (Young Kirk Douglas, Old Peggy, Skinny Steve, RDJ, etc...). Since it's Disney there's no excuse either.

Presumably they are a bit busy working on Marvel movies?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Archaic posted:

yeah weird how that guy who was on screen for 15 total seconds was not as convincing as the guy who was a extreme-close-up speaking character for an entire film, thats really friggen screwy, wrackin my brain over that one

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Archaic posted:

Hard to de-age someone who is dead, you gotta make up the whole thing from scratch, which looks worse.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

yeah weird how that guy who was on screen for 15 total seconds was not as convincing as the guy who was a extreme-close-up speaking character for an entire film, thats really friggen screwy, wrackin my brain over that one

To be fair, The Archaic did name 4 different examples. Skinny Steve definitely got plenty of screentime.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Because they knew its limits and used it sparingly and as effectively as possible.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thexerox123 posted:

To be fair, The Archaic did name 4 different examples. Skinny Steve definitely got plenty of screentime.

im still butthurt i didnt even know tarkin was cgi(not familiar enough with the OG characters) until i heard goons complaining about it. just let the movies be magic u fucks!!!!

The Archaic posted:

Because they knew its limits and used it sparingly and as effectively as possible.
this is true, but didnt stop anybody from whining about essentially perfectly recreated leia(my special eyes could totally tell because i happen to know in real life she is old, in that image she was not old)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i didnt even know tarkin was cgi(not familiar enough with the OG characters) until i heard goons complaining about it.

Do you wear glasses normally that you were missing when you saw the movie?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Also Vancouver posing as Seattle, AGAIN. Better than it posing as the Bronx I suppose.

As a Vancouver local, I think I'm legally obligated to post this every time it gets mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Do you wear glasses normally that you were missing when you saw the movie?

nope, im just not familiar with the original actor and it was in fact a really really convincing job if ur not a turbo sperg trying to :smuggo: the plebes

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

nope, im just not familiar with the original actor and it was in fact a really really convincing job if ur not a turbo sperg trying to :smuggo: the plebes

Eh, not if you looked at the mouth at any point when he was talking.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thexerox123 posted:

Eh, not if you looked at the mouth at any point when he was talking.

my autism prevents me from looking even fictional characters in the eyes so u know drat well i was looking at the neckline >:[

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i dont think ive seen any of the original trilogy movies all the way through, I had no idea who tarkin was and the moment his character came on screen I burst out laughing at his goofy cartoon character lookin rear end.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Skinny Steve is some of the worst CGI I can remember in recent years, it looked terrible back when it was released.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

im still butthurt i didnt even know tarkin was cgi(not familiar enough with the OG characters) until i heard goons complaining about it.

ur retarded

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thom and the Heads posted:

i dont think ive seen any of the original trilogy movies all the way through, I had no idea who tarkin was and the moment his character came on screen I burst out laughing at his goofy cartoon character lookin rear end.

exactly. thank you. i didnt notice is a lie or a symptom of being the worlds biggest retard.it was polar express levels of poo poo. then leia at the end looking like a dead body lol topical hey. toot toot off to santass wrkshop, etc. dumb fuckign skhtibrn

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I didn't realise it was a Star Wars movie until the choking callback. Or callforward.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Weirdo posted:

As a Vancouver local, I think I'm legally obligated to post this every time it gets mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU

Why would that clip that was supposed to take place at Washington State take place in Vancouver, WA, when WSU is on the opposite side of the state? :psyduck:

Also it's nice to see The Man in the High Castle being filmed in Seattle as a stand-in for SF most of the time.

Orkin Mang posted:

exactly. thank you. i didnt notice is a lie or a symptom of being the worlds biggest retard.it was polar express levels of poo poo. then leia at the end looking like a dead body lol topical hey. toot toot off to santass wrkshop, etc. dumb fuckign skhtibrn

Maybe Carrie Fisher died before the filming of R1 and they've been Weekend-at-Bernie'ing her to cover up the CGI?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

ur retarded

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

monster on a stick posted:

Why would that clip that was supposed to take place at Washington State take place in Vancouver, WA, when WSU is on the opposite side of the state? :psyduck:

Because Pullman loving sucks is why.

Also there is a WSU Vancouver.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

These are the only books in my "Study". They make me look sophisticated and well read.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is it just me or is the chief from Battlestar Galactica playing Mr Plinkett on the Dirk Gently show?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Orkin Mang posted:

After the movie was over my friend commented that the guy they got to play Tarkin didn't really look like him. I don't know if that counts as noticing or not, he definitely knew something was off.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Tarkin looked awful but Leia looked amazing, reminded me of young Arnold in Terminator genisys.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
my mom didn't realize that Tarkin was CGI. She's kinda stupid, though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
dont be rude to your mother

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

The Archaic posted:

RDJ is still alive to they can mocap his face easily. There they superimpose bits of CGI ontop of a real guys facial features (hiding wrinkles, digital facelift etc)

Tarking guy is EXTREMELY dead so they didnt have that luxury and basically created an entire face from scratch

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least he wasn't killed to death.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Why not just have another dude who looks like him play him?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

DoctorStrangelove posted:

madness

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorStrangelove posted:

A bit hard to find someone that evil outside of the Republican party.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

oohhboy posted:

A bit hard to find someone that evil outside of the Republican party.

Any Clinton would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should have auditioned for Tarkin.

• Locked thread