Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

i love no more heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I rented 2 first because the cover looked loving cool and after watching the opening cutscene I popped the disc out and thought "i have to play 1 to figure out what the gently caress this game is about". Then I played 1, got all excited to play 2, booted it up and it still makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and I got compeltely trolled

hahahaha

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Travis Touchdown

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

Travis Touchdown

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Helter Skelter's brother Skelter Helter

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Travis taking a poo poo to save

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

music is baller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hrsQU8fuBs

also just because i love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk77S5KvCx8

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i love games where just chilling is a huge part of the gameplay, like persona, catherine, ffxv. would love to see Hideo do something like that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

HORMELCHILI posted:

i love games where just chilling is a huge part of the gameplay, like persona, catherine, ffxv. would love to see Hideo do something like that

never been able to put my finger on that aspect but i agree 100%. i really appreciate the downtime in FFXV. MGS4 sorta had that going on with the between-chapter briefing segments.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My current hit for that is blending in for excessively long times long after anyone is paying attention to me in the new Hitman.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No More Heroes is so ridiculously poo poo I love it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The fast-forwarded exposition at the end of 1 where if you slow it down its actually 100% coherent and relevant

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The fast-forwarded exposition at the end of 1 where if you slow it down its actually 100% coherent and relevant

wait wht. that fuckin owns

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I really wish Suda and Hideo teamed up

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just randomly remembered this one food item in MGS3, it was this fruit that was full of like sweet juice, and paramedic goes on about how it's very nutrient rich and delicious, a delicacy in some parts, and when snake eats it he thinks it's horrible and it recovers like half a bar of stamina lmao

i wonder of kojima himself ate that fruit and thought it was awful after others hyped it up

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

My current hit for that is blending in for excessively long times long after anyone is paying attention to me in the new Hitman.

lol i like that

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In Training posted:

I rented 2 first because the cover looked loving cool and after watching the opening cutscene I popped the disc out and thought "i have to play 1 to figure out what the gently caress this game is about". Then I played 1, got all excited to play 2, booted it up and it still makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and I got compeltely trolled

Lol

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYOVi6BgX8

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The map music in ds was so inexplicably amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnbAc6AHvYY

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

In Training posted:

Is Killer is Dead any cool? Let it Die has a sweet aesthetic but the gameplay is weirdly stiff and its a free to play game so, meh. I was never interested in lollipop chainsaw and kinda wrote off suda/grasshopper as kinda creatively bunk at some point.

Killer is dead has an amazing aesthetic but the levels are mostly just cool looking linear corridors and the gameplay is about the same as nmh. And the gigolo mini games are kinda gross

Regarding chilling in games, I don't know if this was implicitly the first example but exercising your cat in no more heroes 2

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

I really wish Suda and Hideo teamed up

Idk I think their styles are too distinct and it would end up kind of a worst of both worlds deal

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Idk I think their styles are too distinct and it would end up kind of a worst of both worlds deal
It's hard to say what Kojima's style is, because he does so little that isn't MGS. We know what the MGS style is, but that just means Kojima has tried to be consistent within the series. With the Death Stranding trailer, we can expand that to "very film-inspired" but that's about it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

unless Let It Die is good I'm tempted to say Suda has lost his touch/interest, his last few games have either sucked or haven't actually had much involvement from him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The most interesting thing about let it die is that they made a f2p game where the framing device is you're playing an arcade game and the microtransactions are you putting in a quarter to keep playing which is funny.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It seemed ok when i tried it and the f2p model didn't look that bad but i have waaaay too much other crap to play to bother with it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I bought killer is dead thinking it was a direct sequel to killer 7

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
i bought killer is dead and never opened it :|

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's hard to say what Kojima's style is, because he does so little that isn't MGS. We know what the MGS style is, but that just means Kojima has tried to be consistent within the series. With the Death Stranding trailer, we can expand that to "very film-inspired" but that's about it.

i never thought about it like that but your right. its a complete mystery what Death Stranding will be like.. but if the game is as good as the trailer then it will be a masterpiece

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

FactsAreUseless posted:

he made games before MGS. you can still play Snatcher, or Policenauts, or Penguin Adventure, and get a sense for what Kojima is like a designer.

well, maybe not from Penguin Adventure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boktai too

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

boktai is rad. and frekain zone of the enders

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I love Boktai 2. One of my favorite action RPGs with loads of weird secrets and upgrades and unlockables

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Boktai rules

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Playing Boktai at night is awesome hard mode gaming

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I hated Boktai as a kid because I live in Scotland and we get like one day of sun sa year

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Killer7 is my favorite game of all time.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Killer Is Dead was ok. The combat was meh and I didn't care for minigame but the story was so bizarre that I kept playing till i beat it to see where it went, which was nowhere. Which I'm totally good with, but lots of people didn't care for it.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

You can extrapolate from his design style though. His games are all built from the inside out (maybe not snatcher). In all of the mgs5 interviews before Ground Zeroes came out he really pressed how much time they spend making sure the controls are tight and the game is fun to play before they start laying on graphics and story elements.Theres a good video I posted in the last couple of metal gear July threads from like 97 where he had built alll of metal gear solids levels out of Legos and was walking through them with a tiny hand camera to show his team exactly how he wanted the camera to shift when you switched perspectives and stuff.

Here it is
https://youtu.be/L6aPAncMHKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a video where he has the big shell built out of legos
https://youtu.be/QiXFr0hMbYM

Edit holy poo poo. This video is amazing please watch it

Unexpected Raw Anime fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 29, 2016

• Locked thread