Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just got strafed by a goose bombing run and like 4 of them tried to poo poo on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I just got strafed by a goose bombing run and like 4 of them tried to poo poo on me

Quails probably sent em.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

angryrobots posted:

Crowbar when Dan's not looking

poo poo I told him to use a sawzall. Oh wait...

DAVE JUST USE A loving SAWZALL.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

djdanno13 posted:

poo poo I told him to use a sawzall. Oh wait...

DAVE JUST USE A loving SAWZALL.

NO I WANTED TO BEAT IT OFF

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
IS IT HAPPENING?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

IS IT HAPPENING?

We very well may have just solved the final major hurdle aside from raw manpower and waiting a few days in town for the updated registration sticker to show in the mail.

Seat was the one who told me to go scavenge the other dead cars on the lot. Seat is a Good Boy, Yes He Is

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Oh god. Somehow tracking the story since like 2013 now, but my own life caught up to me by the time 13 set forth to Valentine. Procrastinated reading for a month and at some point a week ago decided this thread is never going to slow down.

Caught up to the point of engine revival on Christmas night when I was standing duty.

I have one thing to say:

13, your calling is adventure and pressure and achievement, you thrive off of it, and conversely rot in seditation.

Give yourself a minute to think and rest, the greatest of our kind all know the value of sleep, but even in Valhalla you shall fight on. For now though, you must carry on. Carry on so that you may win the next battle as well.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I save this thread for duty days.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

14 BAR RIFF posted:

We very well may have just solved the final major hurdle aside from raw manpower and waiting a few days in town for the updated registration sticker to show in the mail.

Seat was the one who told me to go scavenge the other dead cars on the lot. Seat is a Good Boy, Yes He Is

Between the headers and the pedal bracket I'm thinking we need to start our own show that's a cross between Mythbusters and 16 And Pregnant.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Between the headers and the pedal bracket I'm thinking we need to start our own show that's a cross between Mythbusters and 16 And Pregnant.

Empty quoting this

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

You already have a name and a concept, you know:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dan has reviewed the complete list of every fiddly thing left and thinks together we can pull this off at the buzzer

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Dan has reviewed the complete list of every fiddly thing left and thinks together we can pull this off at the buzzer

We believe in you both!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just prioritize getting it moving, and if you can get it to stop, that's icing on the cake.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You already have a name and a concept, you know:

This is the best thing, hahaha, awesome!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean, there's really not much left at this point:

Brakes
Lights
Throttle

Test Drive?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Good call 14 and Pregnant would probably put me on a watchlist somewhere

ExplodingSims posted:

Brakes
Lights
Throttle

Test Drive?

Dan's handling the heavy lifting tomorrow while I focus on the open mass grave of completing the wiring

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Brakes
Lights
Throttle

Test Drive?

djdanno13 posted:

Finish rear brakes, bleed system, hook up radiator, hook up or maybe bypass heater core, check ps pump after running, button up front sheet metal, replace headlights, fill all fluids, finish return fuel line, throttle pedal, whatever breaks after we actually start moving.

The most worrying item is the last one, this vehicle has had a lot of work done to it so far with no shakedown. We could have some sort of catastrophic engine/transmission mounting failure or wheel busto or gas could spray all over the place, but... much more likely is that it'll just have several niggling or deal-with-able issues within the first 200 miles or so and then settle down and probably make it to FLA.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

The most worrying item is the last one, this vehicle has had a lot of work done to it so far with no shakedown. We could have some sort of catastrophic engine/transmission mounting failure or wheel busto or gas could spray all over the place, but... much more likely is that it'll just have several niggling or deal-with-able issues within the first 200 miles or so and then settle down and probably make it to FLA.

I know gently caress all about cars and even I know that last sentence is dumb as all hell. +1 if that user name is an Opeth Reference though

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are you saying you don't think the truck will have any problems, or that you think the problems will be serious? Not sure which direction I've been dumb as hell, sorry.

Also not an Opeth reference. It is a reference, but it's stupid and also of something predating Opeth.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
As long as it doesn't contain the phrase "cause of death determined to be extensive traumatic fragmentation of the soft tissues" we'll be fine

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Are you saying you don't think the truck will have any problems, or that you think the problems will be serious? Not sure which direction I've been dumb as hell, sorry.

Also not an Opeth reference. It is a reference, but it's stupid and also of something predating Opeth.

Haha, I'm just not expecting this saga to end easily. This truck was assembled by a desperate, half crazed man under a deadline during blinding snowstorms, there isn't going to be anything easy about this drive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Haha, I'm just not expecting this saga to end easily. This truck was assembled by a desperate, half crazed man under a deadline during blinding snowstorms, there isn't going to be anything easy about this drive.

Ah, OK. Yeah, my experience with cars is that the more fundamentally essential to operation, the more robust the systems are built in the first place. This is why things like total brake failure are extremely rare these days, while electronic component failures are quite common. So: inch dick may well get stuck by the side of the road unable to proceed, but - assuming the scary wheels are put together well, and I believe he's been very thorough in that respect - I'll be surprised if a major structural component gives out. A big truck like this is basically a frame made from very very beefy steel sections with the truck stuck on top, and that's going to be fine. The engine was running before, so I'm not expecting a fresh hole in the block or something. The wiring, despite being entirely ad-hoc, is also brand new, so I think an electric fire is unlikely.

Hoses popping off, components scraping each other badly, steering being off, gauges not working, the engine mysteriously stalling, being down on power, exhaust leaks, the window keeps frosting up, the truck wants to drift to the right at speeds above 35, etc.? Yeah, probably more than one thing along those lines.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

As long as it doesn't contain the phrase "cause of death determined to be extensive traumatic fragmentation of the soft tissues" we'll be fine
How do you feel about "total protonic inversion"?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it'll only take a week or so at 30 mph to make it down.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am starting to think a carb and distributor are more 14 inch death road reliable.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Ah, OK. Yeah, my experience with cars is that the more fundamentally essential to operation, the more robust the systems are built in the first place. This is why things like total brake failure are extremely rare these days, while electronic component failures are quite common. So: inch dick may well get stuck by the side of the road unable to proceed, but - assuming the scary wheels are put together well, and I believe he's been very thorough in that respect - I'll be surprised if a major structural component gives out. A big truck like this is basically a frame made from very very beefy steel sections with the truck stuck on top, and that's going to be fine. The engine was running before, so I'm not expecting a fresh hole in the block or something. The wiring, despite being entirely ad-hoc, is also brand new, so I think an electric fire is unlikely.

Hoses popping off, components scraping each other badly, steering being off, gauges not working, the engine mysteriously stalling, being down on power, exhaust leaks, the window keeps frosting up, the truck wants to drift to the right at speeds above 35, etc.? Yeah, probably more than one thing along those lines.

How do you feel about "total protonic inversion"?

I bow to your superior expertise. I'm not a superstitious or religious man, but I feel 14 inch has been marked by the Old Ones. I actually meandered into one of his threads years back when the man was working on a black widow infested subaru or mitsubishi poo poo heap and am just enjoying this adventure.

It's like Hunter S. Thompson crossed with Car Talk/Lowbrow.com/Feel Good Oscar Movie of the Year Candidate all in one.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm not a superstitious or religious man, but I feel 14 inch has been marked by the Old Ones. I actually meandered into one of his threads years back when the man was working on a black widow infested poo poo heap

You're really gonna have to narrow it down. You probably meant the Starion though :v:

OR MY loving TOASTER :argh:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

14 BAR RIFF posted:

You're really gonna have to narrow it down. You probably meant the Starion though :v:

OR MY loving TOASTER :argh:

Yeah that sounds familiar. What year was that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
14" Hero of the Forums.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah that sounds familiar. What year was that?

2010 :v:

https://youtu.be/9yYhtmJWe7E

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

$1500 on craigslist, slight engine noise, ran when parked, perfect project car for a do it yourselfer!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I should grab a video of my Geo Prism, it's got some pretty good rod knock.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wait, I've seen that video before. I thought it was the starter motor just engaged constantly and the engine wasn't actually running.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
This thread is the best thing regardless of how it ends. Goon loving speed.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm not a superstitious or religious man, but I feel 14 inch has been marked by the Old Ones.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Dave please let us know if you need anything. Both me and the other goon that offered have a 14"-dickload of miles sitting around doing nothing, so flights are covered.

Anyone have any hotel points they aren't using? I feel like that would be incredibly beneficial in the immediate future.

E: actually I have hotels covered for at least a few days if you need it. Marriott, Hyatt, IHG (Holiday Inn and some others), and Ritz-Carlton.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 29, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Unsurprisingly, there isn't a Ritz near him. :lol: at both the possibility and the looks he'd get.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Maybe stop along his route :getin:

Picture of an old-rear end truck parked in the receiving carport of a Ritz is a stipulation.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I hope wherever 14" stops along the way has valet parking...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I hope wherever 14" stops along the way has valet parking...

St. Louis Ritz has valet parking ahahahahaha

Dave if you can get to St. Louis I'll put you up boo.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Really you shouldn't accept anything less then a Four Seasons. The plunger guys shows up within 20 seconds every time.

• Locked thread