Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

So does like every QB besides Tebow regress under Meyer or something?

I know I'm super nitpicky critical about him, but I really can't think of one that hasn't gotten worse over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

I know I'm super nitpicky critical about him, but I really can't think of one that hasn't gotten worse over the years.

His QBs at Bowling Green owned. Granted he was only here for 2 years.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I guess Chris Leak got better under Meyer too? Though yeah he had like 2 years under him like with the BG set-up

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Meyer is largely hands-off with QBs too. He was a WR coach at Notre Dame before coming to BG, and the only thing he really went hands-on with was Special Teams from time to time.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

pillsburysoldier posted:

Braxton Miller until his shoulder imploded.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

DJExile posted:

Brett McMurphy saying Edsall is a strong candidate to go back to UConn

I would just like to point out that Edsall's tenure at UConn was better than Greg Schiano's tenure at Rutgers, including overall win percentage, conference win percentage, and conference titles.

Edit: And Edsall has the job, per the Hartford Courant.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 28, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

In addition to the several that have already been mentioned, Alex Smith went from a nobody to the number 1 pick in the NFL draft. The list of QBs who did regress seems quite a bit shorter

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
All those great Urbz QBs at BG, Utah, and Florida were with Dan Mullen at OC and/or QB coach. Maybe he's the real brains behind those great QBs.

Alex Smith, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott. Dan Mullen has a pretty great list of college QBs he's coached in his career.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Mullen was the QB whisperer basically.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Excluding Mullen QBs, what's the list look like?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Excluding Mullen QBs, what's the list look like?

Basically 2010 and Ohio State isn't it? So...

John Brantley
Braxton Miller
JT Barrett
Cardale Jones

e: Oh 2009, so a year of Tebow but it's hard to not give Mullen some credit there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean he had Mullen for the vast majority of his career but the good ones who had no time with Mullen would be Miller and the first season of Barrett/Jones

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Mullen also coached Cam Newton.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

an adult beverage posted:

Mullen also coached Cam Newton.

This seems a bit generous. especially when he thought so little of him he refused to pay a fair market rate

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 28, 2016

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

MourningView posted:

This seems a bit generous. especially when he though so little of him he refused to pay a fair market rate

:vince:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
never forget that Miss St could have won a national title but instead tried to lowball arguably the greatest QB in college football history

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MourningView posted:

This seems a bit generous. especially when he thought so little of him he refused to pay a fair market rate

Hahaha

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

pillsburysoldier posted:

I guess Chris Leak got better under Meyer too? Though yeah he had like 2 years under him like with the BG set-up

Leak was often skittish and seemed to me to be a cowardly scrambler, but he did develop more confidence and played a hell of a good game against OSU in the national championship game.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLCoolJD posted:

Leak was often skittish and seemed to me to be a cowardly scrambler, but he did develop more confidence and played a hell of a good game against OSU in the national championship game.

The one time in my life I was happy with the Gators winning a game. Hated the whole "Oh, Michigan/OSU is the real national title game, there's no way UF can win!" *UF dominates game*

Didn't Michigan end up losing their bowl game, too?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Having 3 OCs in 4 years will do that. Zaunbrecker, Fedora, then finally Mullen x2.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Edsall back to UConn is official now

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I guess that's a good hire for UConn, but it seems like they had to settle.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

I guess that's a good hire for UConn, but it seems like they had to settle.

There is basically no way UConn is ever going to make a splashy hire in football. Their stadium is 25 miles from campus, they're at the bottom of the best G5 conference, and the program is basically in permanent 3rd banana status behind both of the basketball teams.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

DJExile posted:

There is basically no way UConn is ever going to make a splashy hire in football. Their stadium is 25 miles from campus, they're at the bottom of the best G5 conference, and the program is basically in permanent 3rd banana status behind both of the basketball teams.

Bob Diaco was our last splashy hire. UConn and splashy don't mix.

I'm tentatively hopeful for the second Edsall era. I'm nervous because his staff during his last time around was pretty great, and it'll be hard to replicate that. He's also in a conference that is less conservative and more diverse than the old Big East. But he also has the skills to bring back the program, even if that means nothing realistically more than 8 wins at a great year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if UConn can be consistently bowl eligible that's a win for them. They've probably got a ceiling of 8 wins, 9 at the most..

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

whiteyfats posted:

Didn't Michigan end up losing their bowl game, too?

Yeah 32-18 to USC. That game included a pick-six off of Braylon Edwards heel, IIRC.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Edsall's deal:

quote:

UConn: ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reports Randy Edsall has a five year deal worth $1 million per (with opportunities to earn more). $3 million buyout in year 1, decreasing by $1 million per year.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah 32-18 to USC. That game included a pick-six off of Braylon Edwards heel, IIRC.

Forgot about that.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Is this more or less money than he made during his first stint?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

Is this more or less money than he made during his first stint?

He made $1.5 his last year at UConn. Pasqualoni and Diaco both went from $1.5 to $1.7 in their years.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Democrazy posted:

I would just like to point out that Edsall's tenure at UConn was better than Greg Schiano's tenure at Rutgers, including overall win percentage, conference win percentage, and conference titles.

Edit: And Edsall has the job, per the Hartford Courant.

Conference winning percentage is skewed by Schiano having his rebuilding years in conference while Edsall did it as a FCS school and FBS independent. Schiano won 5-4 head to head, with three of those losses coming during the rebuild. Schiano owned Edsall in their respective primes.

Edsall is indeed a better Xs and Os coach but Schiano would build really talented teams that would get derailed. Schiano overall has a much higher ceiling and is much better overall.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Diaco was a bad coach but if you're gonna fire the guy, fire the guy. A stunt like that is just a dick move.
It turns out Diaco spend $1.6 million on that CIVIL CONFLICT trophy and UConn was just getting its money back.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Phil Bennett will be a nice get at DC for some G5.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don't know if I would file this under recruiting or coaching, but a recruit asked Hugh Freeze about the NCAA investigation and Freeze replied " when you’re that big and out there with faith in Christ," he’s like, "what do you expect? Jesus got nailed to the cross."

:stare:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

God bless

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

KKKLIP ART posted:

I don't know if I would file this under recruiting or coaching, but a recruit asked Hugh Freeze about the NCAA investigation and Freeze replied " when you’re that big and out there with faith in Christ," he’s like, "what do you expect? Jesus got nailed to the cross."

You're not gonna get the fans out without handing out a few fishes and loaves

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

This is some Jimmy Swaggart poo poo, bravo!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

He does it because it works.

It's crazy how prevalent weapons-grade evangelism is within youth football. Every recruiting announcement looks like it was written by Joel Osteen.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
hugh freeze is a mongoloid and i hate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

You're not gonna get the fans out without handing out a few fishes and loaves

Coach Jesus replied, “They do not need to come off the board. You give them something to string them along.”

“We have here only seven scholarships to offer,” His recruiting coordinator answered.

“Bring those markers here to me,” He said. And He erased and re-wrote names in columns on the whiteboard. Taking the seven scholarships and looking up to Heaven, He gave thanks and wrote the handwritten cards. Then He gave them to the assistant coaches, and the assistant coaches gave them to the recruits. They all texted and were satisfied, and the assistant coaches picked up twelve commits.

"Greyshirts, son," He proclaimed.

• Locked thread