Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the suggestions for the bug team. I played mostly older gens so no psychic is weird for me, but Y'all made a solid case why and I understand it's a much weaker type now. I'd have probably gone venomoth and armaldo if left to my own devices.

Will probably take Scizor and a more offensive pokemon, because I don't typically rely on defense in Pokemon. Dead things can't damage you. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

They already replaced all the other key items with pokemon, they should replace the fishing rod with a peliper or something

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

TWIST FIST posted:

They already replaced all the other key items with pokemon, they should replace the fishing rod with a peliper or something

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cancerianmoth posted:

BUT then they don't do anything to help trick room along like an item ala heat rock/smooth stone.

Yeah instead they just made a lot of good pokemon that were also pretty slow and created some great Trick room set-uppers/Support so that it's the best it's ever been.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they should make giga regigigas and make his ability slow terrain, which is just trick room, while keeping the effects of slow start

yknow what thats a terrible idea, so i know what to expect if they pay attention to my boy

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I do like that fly and surf and such have been replaced with PokeMon Uber.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

You'd have to press A at the right time before the prompt, as it takes Slowpoke 10 seconds to realize something's on the hook.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cancerianmoth posted:

If they wanted to give us one rod, they should've made all the water fishable. Then have the spots offer something slightly better (good rod stuff) and bubbly spots with rare stuff (super rod). They could've also gave us another money sink in mount options (50-100k to switch your Charizard to Braviary or Mandibuzz).

Like every gen. GF just doesn't seem to put much thought into certain aspects of the game. Like how smart strike or whatever it is called is barely learned by any pokemon in Alola. Or Pallosand and Bewear got pretty bad versions of similar abilities (sap sipper or furcoat). Let alone the speed reduction of the gen. However that could be an excuse to promote trickroom- BUT then they don't do anything to help trick room along like an item ala heat rock/smooth stone.

I had more but I'll leave it at: stupid GameFreak.

I think the variety had more to do with animations than anything else. I'm sure that there'll be a few more ride pokemon in the next game. And the speed reduction was definitely on purpose, the last couple gens have had a bad case of power creep when it came to speed.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, I had long decided on my team comp well before I got Sun on Christmas, based on what I thought was neat and new rather than a balanced team comp (hell yeah three ghosts). However, I think my Diglett may be defective. Neutral nature, like 4 levels higher than the enemy taking a not very effective attack and it still took like a third of its health. I mean, I'm pretty sure Diglett are fast attackers, but mine doesn't seem to be able to take a hit or hit hard enough to OHKO. Maybe evolution will change that, which would be great because I chose her based on the goddamn MAJESTIC hair, so it would be nice if she could be effective in battle too.

Also glad for those wondertrades earlier, I can breed up a Mimikyu by the end of this route rather than wait for the... next island? The final one?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

spit on my clit posted:

they should make giga regigigas and make his ability slow terrain, which is just trick room, while keeping the effects of slow start

yknow what thats a terrible idea, so i know what to expect if they pay attention to my boy

I really want the gen 4 legendaries to have mega/primal evolutions personally

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Diglett is extremely fragile. That's normal. Let it evolve.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The story really, really wants you to care about Lillie for it to work, doesn't it

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The story really, really wants you to care about Lillie for it to work, doesn't it

Then it's a good thing they did an excellent job making you care about Lillie. :colbert:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

The Mattybee posted:

Yeah, Trick Room definitely got nothing to hel--

explain to me, the man who really wants to use grumpy ape.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Tired Moritz posted:

explain to me, the man who really wants to use grumpy ape.

In Doubles, Oranguru is a super loving strong Trick Room setter who also has Telepathy so his teammates don't hit him and Instruct to get his partner to spam whatever annoying attack they're using twice

Oranguru is incredible in doubles TR teams

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The story isn't really about the player, so much it is about Lillie. Whether or not it works is up to you.

I didn't really like her at first (so much handholding and bogging down the game at the beginning) but she grew on me.

AlphaKretin posted:

Then it's a good thing they did an excellent job making you care about Lillie. :colbert:

At the cost of making you a soulless smiling abomination.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Also, if you expect that the opponent is going to use Trick Room on you and you want to stop them, hit their Trick Room setter with Instruct to undo it. A risky and useless move, but with high amounts of panache.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bongo Bill posted:

Also, if you expect that the opponent is going to use Trick Room on you and you want to stop them, hit their Trick Room setter with Instruct to undo it. A risky and useless move, but with high amounts of panache.

Holy crap

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Bongo Bill posted:

cool and trolly and I would gladly do if I had foresight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

This is amazing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

spit on my clit posted:

I'm not sure why Slow Start even exists. It's explicitly a nerfing measure to a Pokemon that's not even that strong by legendary standards without it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ashsaber posted:

So, I had long decided on my team comp well before I got Sun on Christmas, based on what I thought was neat and new rather than a balanced team comp (hell yeah three ghosts). However, I think my Diglett may be defective. Neutral nature, like 4 levels higher than the enemy taking a not very effective attack and it still took like a third of its health. I mean, I'm pretty sure Diglett are fast attackers, but mine doesn't seem to be able to take a hit or hit hard enough to OHKO. Maybe evolution will change that, which would be great because I chose her based on the goddamn MAJESTIC hair, so it would be nice if she could be effective in battle too.

Diglett's have literally the lowest HP stat of any non-gimmick Pokemon in the game. You're getting a third of your health taken off because​ she has almost no health to begin with.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
OG Diglett was much better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo how can the Totem Kommo-o fight be that big of a letdown

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
An item that extends trick room or a pokemon with an auto trick room ability is one of those things suggested by people that manage to understand balance less than Gamefreak.

Trick room is stupidly strong and does not need any buffs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, Trick Room itself has negative priority, so it's really more useful for undoing Trick Room set by the opponent after they've done it. So it's not as cool as it may appear at first.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Holy poo poo how can Kommo-o be that big of a letdown

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Totem Pokémon worked better earlier in the game. By the time you get to Poni, you probably have a disgusting murdersquad finished, and a single Pokémon + SOS is not a threat.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I could see an Auto Magic Room not totally destroying the balance. They could also add an extender for it but make it so the Magic Room negates it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

The story isn't really about the player, so much it is about Lillie. Whether or not it works is up to you.

I didn't really like her at first (so much handholding and bogging down the game at the beginning) but she grew on me.

At the cost of making you a soulless smiling abomination.

I don't know, until the 4th island the story is pretty well split between a bunch of characters. Hau, Lillie, sorta Gladion, and even Kukui and his League building escapades to an extent. Poni is pretty much all about her though, but it has a lot of Hapu as well so that's nice.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because it's at the end of a long canyon and they want to give you a break. Also, because fairies are strong and my friends.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Attestant posted:

Totem Pokémon worked better earlier in the game. By the time you get to Poni, you probably have a disgusting murdersquad finished, and a single Pokémon + SOS is not a threat.

I don't know dude, I got crushed by that Mimikyu. And it was the 2nd to last totem pokemon.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the dragon trial captain stopped because Mina kept giving away fairiziums before their trial.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attestant posted:

I've been swapping out tons of Pokemon the whole game and my average team level was like 6 below the ground Kahuna.

Summoning a level 32 version of yourself as a threat is a joke after Mimikyu.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some of the totem fights are just a lot harder than the others. Totem Mimikyu gives a lot of people trouble and its not hard to see why; Mimikyu only has 2 weaknesses, and even if you have a pokemon that can nuke it with Corkscrew Crash you have to break the disguise first. Its partner pokemon can also spam hypnosis and completely gently caress everything up by putting your good pokemon to sleep.

Comparatively, Totem Kommo-o has more weaknesses including a 4x one the game hands you a z crystal for right before it. Even disregarding that though, the SOS pokemon it calls can safely be ignored. Its just a Jangmo-o that buffs itself for like 4 turns but still does crap damage because its such a low level compared to your team.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I could see an Auto Magic Room not totally destroying the balance. They could also add an extender for it but make it so the Magic Room negates it.

Embargo and magic room might actually see some use if they blocked z crystals. As it stands, why not just a pokemon with knock off instead?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 29, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I hope pocket monsters: stars or w/e has a proper ice trial.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
You should've pulled the trigger and made Lusamine the 5th Pokemon in that fight Game Freak

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

An item that extends trick room or a pokemon with an auto trick room ability is one of those things suggested by people that manage to understand balance less than Gamefreak.

Trick room is stupidly strong and does not need any buffs.

I mean in singles it's really mediocre, but Game Freak doesn't balance for that anymore. After using it in Doubles, I see how strong that move really is. There really isn't a definite answer to it, since the only way to actually get rid it is to cast Trick Room again. But the move has -7 priority, so you're forced to deal with it for 1 turn even if you're trying to undo it that way. So really the only thing you can do about it is to wait it out or stop it from going up in the first place.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The Salazzle showing up out of nowhere all HAAAAY during the Fire Trial was one of my favorite moments in the game.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You should've pulled the trigger and made Lusamine the 5th Pokemon in that fight Game Freak

I was honestly expecting to fight Lusamine herself somehow and I was disappointed that that wasn't a thing. I kind of wish they could make boss battles against a single thing that were 6-mon difficulty, though I don't know how you'd make the types work out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

vOv posted:

The Salazzle showing up out of nowhere all HAAAAY during the Fire Trial was one of my favorite moments in the game.

I was honestly expecting to fight Lusamine herself somehow and I was disappointed that that wasn't a thing. I kind of wish they could make boss battles against a single thing that were 6-mon difficulty, though I don't know how you'd make the types work out.

It took me 6 pokemon to beat Totem Lurantis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope pocket monsters: stars or w/e has a proper ice trial.

They'll probably call the third version Pokemon Eclipse if they make one.