Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's fascinating how successfully the Israeli right-wing has managed to conflate opposition to its polices to opposition to Israel itself, and any opposition to Israeli policies for any reason, as anti-Semitism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PT6A posted:

It's fascinating how successfully the Israeli right-wing has managed to conflate opposition to its polices to opposition to Israel itself, and any opposition to Israeli policies for any reason, as anti-Semitism.

They've had help in the US from a Republican Party that's more interested in using issues as weapons against Democrats than in governing. If/when the Democratic Party actually does turn against Israel, it'll be as much because Republicans used it as a wedge issue (obviously with help from Bibi) as because of the actual reality of the situation. Being 90% as pro-Israel as Republicans gets Democrats trashed for being enemies of Israel anyway, so they may eventually stop trying to play keep up.

poo poo like this is going to keep driving a wedge between American Jews (who are obviously mostly Democrats) and Israel too:

https://twitter.com/KurtSchlichter/status/814151369007374336

Getting in an argument with a Holocaust museum doesn't help either:

https://twitter.com/KurtSchlichter/status/814218922438201344

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 29, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

Obama is a coward.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes.

I really don't get why so people are so hyped about this, it just goes to show that there was a president who knew which side is up and had a pretty good grasp on how to go about unscrewing the i/p pooch but chose to do absolutely nothing for 8 years , this timid wrist slap which only sets the stage for Trump to win the favor of AIPAC is absolute dogshit and nothing to be pleased about.

Why on earth would Obama step out and make a political move with literally zero domestic upside? It's not like there are a lot of single issue Palestinian voters he could sway to his side, or a pro-Palestinian lobby in Congress that would back his play, help him move legislation, or owe him favors. Internationally, everyone who gives a poo poo about Palestine as anything other than a cynical tool already either loves Obama more than his political rivals or has staked out a hard position in the Middle East power game.

Literally all he could do would be to distract from his other priorities by throwing himself face first at a Gordian knot that has vexed all his predecessors.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 29, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why on earth would Obama step out and make a political move with literally zero domestic upside? It's not like there are a lot of single issue Palestinian voters he could sway to his side, or a pro-Palestinian lobby in Congress that would back his play, help him move legislation, or owe him favors. Internationally, everyone who gives a poo poo about Palestine as anything other than a cynical tool already either loves Obama more than his political rivals or has staked out a hard position in the Middle East power game.

Literally all he could do would be to distract from his other priorities by throwing himself face first at a Gordian knot that has vexed all his predecessors.

Because it's the right thing to do?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Because it's the right thing to do?

The public just isn't there yet. Doing the right thing is cool and all, but getting ahead of the public on that sort of thing has real consequences that can prevent you from doing other important things that aren't as deeply unpopular. Being perceived as genuinely anti-Israel would have been incredibly damaging to Obama in particular, as it would have fed all the bullshit conspiracy theories about him being a Muslim secret agent.

Cynical calculations aside, I think Obama's naivete about foreign policy, especially in his first term, is pretty widely accepted even by Democrats at this point. He really seems to have thought he could save Israel from itself, but Netanyahu doubled down at every opportunity and was rewarded for it by the Israeli voters. Unfortunately it looks like the wave of populist nationalism Netanyahu's been riding was just a precursor for what other democracies pretty much everywhere would be dealing with, though I still think it's going to turn out to be a bad gamble for Israel specifically.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 29, 2016

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Sinteres posted:

The public just isn't there yet. Doing the right thing is cool and all, but getting ahead of the public on that sort of thing has real consequences that can prevent you from doing other important things that aren't as deeply unpopular. Being perceived as genuinely anti-Israel would have been incredibly damaging to Obama in particular, as it would have fed all the bullshit conspiracy theories about him being a Muslim secret agent.
:what: He's less than a month from the end of his presidency. I don't think he has to worry about his political capital at this point...

This is also a topic that needs an influential thought leader to broach the idea that the US must place conditions on its heretofore unconditional support for Israel. Obama could do it, but I don't see him taking up the cause.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

:what: He's less than a month from the end of his presidency. I don't think he has to worry about his political capital at this point...

The question was about why he didn't do more earlier.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

People were calling him a coward for having not done it earlier.

TBH, I don't honestly envision a two state solution that doesn't result in another war within a decade.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

While those situations aren't great, the people in Tibet and Crimea are citizens of China and Russia. Israel doesn't have the ability to absorb the population of the West Bank, and governing millions of people while denying them citizenship is what will (hopefully) make that situation eventually untenable.

That's the point of the settlements, to increase the Jewish population so eventually a unified Israel and West Bank will have a comfortable majority for the Jews.

From Israel's POV the best-case scenario is more settlements until the population of Israel + the West Bank has a strong Jewish majority, followed by formal annexation of the West Bank. This would include giving all Palestinians Israeli citizenship, with the Palestinians integrating into Israeli society.

The worst case scenario is more settlements, but Israel not giving Palestinians citizenship out of fear of terrorist attacks, so eventually all the Palestinians would be confined to Gaza and a Gaza-like area in the West Bank which would essentially be the world's largest prisons.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

TBH, I don't honestly envision a two state solution that doesn't result in another war within a decade.

There's already a war every 3-4 years though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qkkl posted:

That's the point of the settlements, to increase the Jewish population so eventually a unified Israel and West Bank will have a comfortable majority for the Jews.

From Israel's POV the best-case scenario is more settlements until the population of Israel + the West Bank has a strong Jewish majority, followed by formal annexation of the West Bank. This would include giving all Palestinians Israeli citizenship, with the Palestinians integrating into Israeli society.

The worst case scenario is more settlements, but Israel not giving Palestinians citizenship out of fear of terrorist attacks, so eventually all the Palestinians would be confined to Gaza and a Gaza-like area in the West Bank which would essentially be the world's largest prisons.

Moving people into the settlements doesn't change the total population of Israel. Israel is going to avoid giving Palestinians citizenship at all costs, because there are simply too many Palestinians to ignore. The population of the Palestinian territories is about 4 million, compared to a total Israeli population of 8 million - about a quarter of which are Israeli Arabs. In other words, if all residents of the West Bank and Gaza were given citizenship right now, Jews would only make up slightly over half of Israeli citizens, and the Palestinians have higher birthrates too. That's why no one talks about a one-state solution with full citizenship for Palestinians - it's utterly unacceptable for Israel. The non-Jewish population would have far too many votes to simply marginalize and ignore, and they would become a powerful political force - to the detriment of the extremist Jewish groups who get to exercise disproportionate control over the government because everyone refuses to coalition with the Arab parties.

The problem is that Israel doesn't really have a long-term plan. They expand settlements because it gets them easy votes from the right; the larger question of Palestinians is something they just hope they'll never actually have to answer. Netanyahu's preferred solution is basically bantustans, but the international community is pretty openly signalling that they won't even pretend to recognize them if the settlers take much more of the land.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

qkkl posted:

Palestinians will remain second-class citizens even as Israel gradually annexes Palestinian land until there is nothing left. That's pretty clearly where this will end. That and a lot of dead Palestinians.

As the NYT says, this is basically Kerry eulogizing the 'two-state solution', because Trump has already made it clear that he will support whatever Israel does 100% and Bibi will have the green-light to do whatever he feels like without US opposition. The rest of the world will continue to oppose settlements but once Obama leaves US policy will be hands-off.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Palestinians will remain second-class citizens even as Israel gradually annexes Palestinian land until there is nothing left. That's pretty clearly where this will end. That and a lot of dead Palestinians.

As the NYT says, this is basically Kerry eulogizing the 'two-state solution', because Trump has already made it clear that he will support whatever Israel does 100% and Bibi will have the green-light to do whatever he feels like without US opposition. The rest of the world will continue to oppose settlements but once Obama leaves US policy will be hands-off.

I think the more important factor here is Europe. Trump isn't going to be making a lot of friends and if it he antagonizes European countries too much they may might ignore US policy entirely and impose sanctions on Israel for being an apartheid state.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump said one thing and then said another thing. Bibi is a fool if he isn't nervous about the incoming administration. Although Obama might have just made things more stable for Israel in the short term if Israel becomes a partisan issue.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Instead you got a one state solution that makes Israel becomes more and more like Turkey.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Bibi is a fool if he isn't nervous about the incoming administration.

i got some bad news for you bro

daydrinking is fun
Dec 1, 2016
The two state solution is loving dead. I finally realized this after actually talking to people in Israel and the Occupied Territories and seeing it for myself. There's no going back, and that just means it's important for Israel to become more diplomatically isolated until it grants citizenship to the millions of Arabs living under occupation. It's going to take a while and there's definitely going to be intermittent violence for decades even in the most optimistic scenario, but it it'll happen. The Israeli government can't abolish the Palestinians, and the Palestinians can't get rid of the Israelis, so unless the Israelis get worked up enough to pull off a capital-G Genocide (doubtful) that outcome is basically inevitable.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

If Israel can handle giving full citizenship to its Arab population I think it's at least a possibility that they could grant West Bank Palestinians citizenship sometime in the future if the Jews far outnumber the Palestinians.

The two-state solution stopped being an option after the Six Day war. Prior to that a Palestinian state could have been created if Jordan gave away the West Bank. With Israel controlling the West Bank and no one having the power and desire to retake the West Bank there is simply no place for a Palestinian state. If this were the 1500s the Palestinians would immigrate to some newly discovered, relatively uninhabited land to create their state.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

qkkl posted:

If Israel can handle giving full citizenship to its Arab population I think it's at least a possibility that they could grant West Bank Palestinians citizenship sometime in the future if the Jews far outnumber the Palestinians.
As others have said, this is not happening.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

From an objective perspective, a one state solution seems like the obvious and correct answer. But practically speaking, both Israeli Jews and Palestinians would see it as essentially genocidal to their causes. Who in the area actually thinks a one state solution with full citizenship is a good idea? Maybe some particularly naive leftist Jews and Israeli Arabs. No one I met there, in any case. Not particularly powerful groups.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

oath2order posted:

From an objective perspective, a one state solution seems like the obvious and correct answer. But practically speaking, both Israeli Jews and Palestinians would see it as essentially genocidal to their causes. Who in the area actually thinks a one state solution with full citizenship is a good idea? Maybe some particularly naive leftist Jews and Israeli Arabs. No one I met there, in any case. Not particularly powerful groups.

It means there will be a lot of bloodshed, but there's already a lot of bloodshed. I'm an Israeli jew and I think a one state solution is the only way forward. Hopefully with an actual constitution that says something about separation of church and state.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
All paths lead to a one state solution. The only variable is the amount of violence it will take to get there.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

All paths lead to a one state solution. The only variable is the amount of violence it will take to get there.

I'm quite concerned about the violence once it happens as well. We'll have roaming gangs of Jewish supremacists and Arab retribution gangs. I don't trust the police in Israel to navigate that minefield successfully. Hell I don't trust them not to be the Jewish supremacists.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sinteres posted:

They've had help in the US from a Republican Party that's more interested in using issues as weapons against Democrats than in governing. If/when the Democratic Party actually does turn against Israel, it'll be as much because Republicans used it as a wedge issue (obviously with help from Bibi) as because of the actual reality of the situation. Being 90% as pro-Israel as Republicans gets Democrats trashed for being enemies of Israel anyway, so they may eventually stop trying to play keep up.

poo poo like this is going to keep driving a wedge between American Jews (who are obviously mostly Democrats) and Israel too:

https://twitter.com/KurtSchlichter/status/814151369007374336

Getting in an argument with a Holocaust museum doesn't help either:

https://twitter.com/KurtSchlichter/status/814218922438201344

I love that. Being called out by a representative of the Holocaust museum and doubling down instead of realizing "Oh, uh, this might have been a bad tweet."

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm hearing that a criminal investigation has been opened against Bibi in Israel? Is this still about the German U boats?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

evilmiera posted:

I love that. Being called out by a representative of the Holocaust museum and doubling down instead of realizing "Oh, uh, this might have been a bad tweet."

If you say 'respectful' enough, it must mean you're really respecting them!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

botany posted:

I'm hearing that a criminal investigation has been opened against Bibi in Israel? Is this still about the German U boats?

There is a gag warrant so there's no concrete information but according to the channel 10 news the investigation is not about any of the recent alleged scandals that made the headlines.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

oath2order posted:

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Palestinians-increasingly-back-1-state

About a third of Palestinians and 20% of Israelis. 50 more years of this and I'd imagine reality will set in on more people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qkkl posted:

Jews don't far outnumber the Palestinians, though, and the only realistic way for that to happen anywhere in the foreseeable future is ethnic cleansing on a significant scale. And if Israel expels or kills a million-plus Palestinians, it's probably fair to say they won't grant citizenship to the rest.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

DarkCrawler posted:

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Palestinians-increasingly-back-1-state

About a third of Palestinians and 20% of Israelis. 50 more years of this and I'd imagine reality will set in on more people.

This is kind of the critical extract though:

quote:

"In recent months the option of one state, for both Israelis and Palestinians, came up on the agenda," he told The Media Line. "Palestinians push this option as a threat to Israelis because whenever there are difficulties in negotiations or in making progress in the two state solution, they believe that the situation on the ground and the demographic reality may lead to international pressure to accept such an option."

From the Palestinian perspective, this idea is basically a negotiating tactic or a threat rather than something they actually really believe in. Ultimately, I think Palestinianso has less to lose by accepting the legitimacy of the state of Israel than Jews do by accepting Palestinians as fully empowered citizens, and more and more Palestinians are coming to accept that.

The Palestinians will basically need to convince the world and themselves thst they want to be Israeli citizens, and that denying them rights has turndown Israel into an apartheid state in truth, rather than de facto. It is, at present, a hard sell. if the trends hold for another decade or 2 though, maybe reevaluate.

That assumes wrote get through the Trump years without the region falling into nuclear hellfire, of course.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

oath2order posted:

From the Palestinian perspective, this idea is basically a negotiating tactic or a threat rather than something they actually really believe in.

This is silly. Its a random sample of people, not a conspiracy to mislead an opinion poll and spook some Israelis

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
A two state solution isn't dead any more than Kerry's belief about a peace deal magically solving the entire Middle East's woes was true. It becomes a lot harder, but all you need is an Ariel Sharon to withdraw. I think politically the status quo is sustainable for a very long time, and Israel ultimately won't create literal bantustans. They'll withdraw to something like the current parameters that were being negotiated between Olmert and Abbas, unilaterally annex those areas with US support, and it'll become de facto official like Russia's various annexations. There's absolutely no chance of a one state solution ever happening.

PT6A posted:

There's a wide anti-Zionist movement that is indeed advocating against Israel period instead of the current government. BDS, for instance, has a central tenet of relitigating 1948.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kim Jong Il posted:

BDS, for instance, has a central tenet of relitigating 1948.

I don't see that on their website. Link?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

botany posted:

It's hard to hyperlink to the voices in his head

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Jong Il posted:

A two state solution isn't dead any more than Kerry's belief about a peace deal magically solving the entire Middle East's woes was true. It becomes a lot harder, but all you need is an Ariel Sharon to withdraw. I think politically the status quo is sustainable for a very long time, and Israel ultimately won't create literal bantustans. They'll withdraw to something like the current parameters that were being negotiated between Olmert and Abbas, unilaterally annex those areas with US support, and it'll become de facto official like Russia's various annexations. There's absolutely no chance of a one state solution ever happening.

There's a wide anti-Zionist movement that is indeed advocating against Israel period instead of the current government. BDS, for instance, has a central tenet of relitigating 1948.

"Wide" lol. BDS couldn't hold AIPAC's jockstrap.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:owned:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Scroll up if you want to see him double down in response.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

botany posted:

It's in their initial declaration of principles.

quote:

Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194.

Volkerball posted:

"Wide" lol. BDS couldn't hold AIPAC's jockstrap.

I wasn't talking about their political power in Washington. AIPAC has been shown to be pretty toothless though. Both with lobbying for action on Syria and in trying to stop the Iran deal. I read content from all sides of the spectrum. The opposition to Netanyahu doesn't solely consist of Beinart and Ben Ami. BDS and related groups aren't saying resume the peace process and let's have two states. Quite the contrary. Just like Naftali Bennett, they're celebrating the end of the peace process and loath every single aspect of it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kim Jong Il posted:

Advocating for the Right of Return is not the same thing as "relitigating 1948"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Kim Jong Il posted:

I wasn't talking about their political power in Washington. AIPAC has been shown to be pretty toothless though. Both with lobbying for action on Syria and in trying to stop the Iran deal. I read content from all sides of the spectrum. The opposition to Netanyahu doesn't solely consist of Beinart and Ben Ami. BDS and related groups aren't saying resume the peace process and let's have two states. Quite the contrary. Just like Naftali Bennett, they're celebrating the end of the peace process and loath every single aspect of it.

Yes, this will be the time your attempts to use doublespeak and other basic propaganda techniques will win you rhetorical points.