Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm sure I'll get laughed out of this thread by any Verizon rep but oh well. Seeing if I can make my bill cheaper/any promos I can take advantage of. Also, why the hell don't they discount the line access with employer discount programs?

I currently own in full my iPhone 7+ with 2GB of data and 15% discount, comes to $52.51 after taxes. I know Verizon is notoriously hard to negotiate with and I refuse to go on my family's plan because screw that drama.

I rarely go over 2GB, mainly because I'm a WiFi nazi and also monitor my data with 3rd party & Verizon apps, plus use carryover. But I wouldn't mind spending a little extra to bump it up a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

I'm sure I'll get laughed out of this thread by any Verizon rep but oh well. Seeing if I can make my bill cheaper/any promos I can take advantage of. Also, why the hell don't they discount the line access with employer discount programs?

I currently own in full my iPhone 7+ with 2GB of data and 15% discount, comes to $52.51 after taxes. I know Verizon is notoriously hard to negotiate with and I refuse to go on my family's plan because screw that drama.

I rarely go over 2GB, mainly because I'm a WiFi nazi and also monitor my data with 3rd party & Verizon apps, plus use carryover. But I wouldn't mind spending a little extra to bump it up a little.

No need to laugh. Make sure you are on the new Verizon plan for $35 before discount. Not more everything (it sounds like you are). Otherwise you are on the cheapest plan; nothing else to do.

Verizon doesn't discount the line access because they are a for profit company and want to make money.

You could go to Verizon prepaid for $50 a month (no discounts, plus tax) for call, text, 5GB. Same coverage, less customer support, no international. If you want to switch to that you dial 611 and ask customer service. That's one thing in store won't help you with.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Funny how the robo-call stuff just got brought up since I put in for a new number yesterday. About a week ago I started getting 10+ robo-calls a day out of nowhere along with sms spam that is addressed to someone else's name. I guess this guy mistyped my number instead of his into some online form and it got out there. Sucks to have to lose a number I've had for about a decade or so but since the calls/texts all come from different numbers there's just no way to block it all.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

CFox posted:

Funny how the robo-call stuff just got brought up since I put in for a new number yesterday. About a week ago I started getting 10+ robo-calls a day out of nowhere along with sms spam that is addressed to someone else's name. I guess this guy mistyped my number instead of his into some online form and it got out there. Sucks to have to lose a number I've had for about a decade or so but since the calls/texts all come from different numbers there's just no way to block it all.

What's to prevent you from getting someone else's number that has the same problem? Do they "salt" phone numbers?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Nothing. I'm convinced that there's a call center in India where they use an autodialer machine like that one Simpsons episode.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

What's to prevent you from getting someone else's number that has the same problem? Do they "salt" phone numbers?

Nothing probably but there's not much else of a solution available. Might as well roll the dice on something that might work instead of just putting up with this mess.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
How much did Verizon charge for the privilege of getting a new number?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's free and you do it online

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yep, took all of 10 minutes to google how to do it and get it done.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My dad is on Verizon Wireless -- no surprise, he worked for Verizon for decades -- and is a flip phone kind of guy. I fished around this week trying to see what he could replace his aging and beaten-down LG Revere with. He has very little interest in anything beyond a basic phone and negative interest in adding a data plan to his existing monthly minutes plan.

So I talked with a Verizon rep and was told, with growing incredulity, that:
1) His old phone is a CDMA relic and therefore has no SIM card, so switching to another phone would require the intervention of a Verizon rep.
2) Adding any smartphone, regardless of where it came from, would require a mandatory smartphone connection charge and monthly data plan.
3) They will not activate any phone for him that is not Verizon-branded, smartphone or not.
4) Even the Verizon Prepaid phones one sees in Target et al. are off limits, because they will not activate a Verizon Prepaid phone on a Verizon Monthly plan because Verizon Prepaid phones are Set Up Differently and Will Not Work on a Monthly plan.
5) The act of replacing his phone on a monthly plan, even if he brings his own replacement phone, would reestablish his 2-year contract.

Which means that his options are the same handful of basic phones they always offer, period, and he'd replace his LG Revere 3 with a LG Revere 3 and be locked in for two years for the privilege.

Now, it is 2016. People with basic phones lost the right to look surprised when they're treated like dinosaurs a long time ago. But is there a workaround for any of the above, or is he hosed?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

delfin posted:

My dad is on Verizon Wireless -- no surprise, he worked for Verizon for decades -- and is a flip phone kind of guy. I fished around this week trying to see what he could replace his aging and beaten-down LG Revere with. He has very little interest in anything beyond a basic phone and negative interest in adding a data plan to his existing monthly minutes plan.

So I talked with a Verizon rep and was told, with growing incredulity, that:
1) His old phone is a CDMA relic and therefore has no SIM card, so switching to another phone would require the intervention of a Verizon rep.
2) Adding any smartphone, regardless of where it came from, would require a mandatory smartphone connection charge and monthly data plan.
3) They will not activate any phone for him that is not Verizon-branded, smartphone or not.
4) Even the Verizon Prepaid phones one sees in Target et al. are off limits, because they will not activate a Verizon Prepaid phone on a Verizon Monthly plan because Verizon Prepaid phones are Set Up Differently and Will Not Work on a Monthly plan.
5) The act of replacing his phone on a monthly plan, even if he brings his own replacement phone, would reestablish his 2-year contract.

Which means that his options are the same handful of basic phones they always offer, period, and he'd replace his LG Revere 3 with a LG Revere 3 and be locked in for two years for the privilege.

Now, it is 2016. People with basic phones lost the right to look surprised when they're treated like dinosaurs a long time ago. But is there a workaround for any of the above, or is he hosed?

Well, I think whomever you worked with made it way more complicated than it is. I guess because of commission, but the rep would get paid if you got phone on payment plan, so maybe he's not smart. Commission isn't worth putting people through complicated setups like what you described.

You dad is likely on the 700 min plan, and if he isn't he should be. The plan is $25 a month for 700 mins, unlimited text. You can't have a smartphone on this plan, because its a really, really cheap plan.

The rep is correct, the basic phones are CDMA only, no SIM cards. Also, prepaid phones cannot be activated because Verizon locks them to prepaid service. Once you pay a month's prepaid service they can be activated, but then that defeats the purpose (cheap phone) anyway. And yes, most non Verizon phones don't work on Verizon.

The rep is wrong, you don't have to sign a 2 year contract, whether you buy phone or bring one in.

If your dad doesn't want a smartphone, I would call it a day, buy another Revere 3, its a great phone. The phone is $50 for the phone, Verizon will charge a $20 upgrade fee (no contract), and because its being bought outright i doubt Verizon will waive the upgrade fee. $70, no contract, Dad keeps cheap plan. That's simple at least.

Fyi they can't sell the phone without activating it, so i would stop by the store with your dad.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I just bought one on Amazon(lg revere 3) in like new condition for $50 and activated through the website. No upgrade fee. I forgot how annoying the whole cdma activation was, so many numbers to type

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I just bought one on Amazon(lg revere 3) in like new condition for $50 and activated through the website. No upgrade fee. I forgot how annoying the whole cdma activation was, so many numbers to type

Sorry, I should have clarified, this is correct. Upgrade fees are only when purchasing a device through Verizon. Only issue with online buying is if its reported lost/stolen, but that is likely a low issue with the Revere 3.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah definitely buy through a reputable dealer. The first one I bought was doa and had to return it

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three-Phase posted:

Did you end up paying them anything?

No.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I forgot how annoying the whole cdma activation was, so many numbers to type
Is it still *228, option 1, enter 10 digit phone number, then enter the account password?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is it still *228, option 1, enter 10 digit phone number, then enter the account password?

That's just after you register the imei through the web portal which took me 3 tries since I couldn't read the drat numbers

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's just after you register the imei through the web portal which took me 3 tries since I couldn't read the drat numbers

dialing *#06# should get it to pop up on any device if the label is damaged

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I'm still using unlimited data wireless plans from "the before-times." We last bought Galaxy S4s retail, and before I start debating new phones I wanted to check in on the current contracts vs. unlimited. Everything was fine but then they hiked the line access fees on the unlimited plans and it's just... annoying.

We never curtailed behavior because unlimited and use probably 15-25gb a month. Long commutes, streaming video, streaming music. I know academically I could easily adapt to a more strict data plan but gently caress Them.

We also have a 22% Employer discount too.

I was dicking around with their website the other day and left with the strong suspicion that even after the rate hikes it's not possible to get this much data anymore for this price. Am I wrong?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I guess that depends what you're currently paying. With my 20% employer discount, it looks like 24GB is $88 plus $20 line access per device and any applicable device payment plans. So assuming paid off devices, you'd be at around $130ish for two lines sharing 24GB. Isn't Unlimited around $50/line, plus your voice plan? It's been a year or so since I dropped it, it just wasn't worth hanging onto with my normal usage.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
New plans are pretty easy to calculate. $20 per line + the data plan price. Employer discounts only apply to the data plan portion.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Something I noticed when reviewing Ohio's new laws for 2017: utilities can now attach wireless equipment onto utility poles. This might have to do with "5G" technologies where there are more smaller cells.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't post about it, and I doubt many people here will be wanting it, but RIP two year contracts, officially killed on Verizon.

Activation and upgrade fees are also $30, not $20. Yup.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Duckman2008 posted:

Activation and upgrade fees are also $30, not $20. Yup.

Huge reason why I will never buy a carrier branded device again.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

bull3964 posted:

Huge reason why I will never buy a carrier branded device again.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can confirm. Bought my Pixel from the google store, it's pretty legit.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
No regrets for buying mine from Verizon at a steep discount

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
My pixel XL 128gb got pushed back from shipping today too shipping 3/10. There's no way Google is having that much trouble with production that it'll take that long, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

St. Blaize posted:

My pixel XL 128gb got pushed back from shipping today too shipping 3/10. There's no way Google is having that much trouble with production that it'll take that long, right?

Quite possible. A march date to mean means they just don't know when they'll have it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Might as well wait for the Galaxy s8 at that point

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Wickerman posted:

No regrets for buying mine from Verizon at a steep discount

Yeah, I can't complain too much about it when I got my Pixel for the DPP + a $410 bill credit up front.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Slashdot reporting that the softcap for unlimited data is around 200gb/mo. Hit the link for the juice.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/321029

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Time for me to switch providers. I just got a physical mail saying I will be disconnected on this upcoming February from unlimited unless I switch to a laughably smaller data plan. I like how in the letter they point out their larger exclusive data plans only for us grandfathered users start at a the low of $185/mo. Will do my best to run up the data for the final month

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I half expect I will be getting the word here shortly. I am sitting on a NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 1400 plan, a very rare plan (not offered to the general public effectively) that saved a shitload of money back in the day. Apparently, I used ~160gb in the last year with a peak of ~32gb.

Based on my calculations, I will pay ~60 less for 24gb(+2gb), ~35 less for 30gb(+2gb), or ~10 more for 40gb(+2gb).

:geno:

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

EvilMoFo posted:

I half expect I will be getting the word here shortly. I am sitting on a NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 1400 plan, a very rare plan (not offered to the general public effectively) that saved a shitload of money back in the day. Apparently, I used ~160gb in the last year with a peak of ~32gb.

Based on my calculations, I will pay ~60 less for 24gb(+2gb), ~35 less for 30gb(+2gb), or ~10 more for 40gb(+2gb).

:geno:

That is the plan I am still on. I am fully expecting a letter any day now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They're sending letters out to people using more than 200gb/mo

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

FCKGW posted:

They're sending letters out to people using more than 200gb/mo

this time

The next round may catch people at an even lower cap. I hit 100gb+/mo periodically since I'm using my data for all my home internet stuff, it's probably just a matter of time before the purge gets to people at that level. I kinda figured it would eventually happen but I'm gonna keep using it til they finally shut off the tap. What sucks is not even having an option to switch since Verizon is the only carrier with coverage in this area.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you are pulling down 100gb / month over LTE, I really don't think there's going to be any carrier that does that affordably.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Ok this is freaking me out.

I opened my Verizon app. I had about 3GB remaining (and safety mode on) when I checked it around 9:30 PM EST. when I checked it after midnight it showed ZERO REMAINING GB and safety mode OFF. What the hell is going on?

EDIT: ok if I log in manually it just says information not available and try again later

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
You borked verizon, rip americas best network

• Locked thread