Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I imagine the translation will be clearer when VIZ Media's version hits on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I joked when she first appeared in the sports tournament that she looked like a character out of My Little Pony.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

She's a hit in eastern europe

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ChronoReverse posted:

No, he only said shoot style even with the speedup was blockable. It's pretty clear because 8% was barely blockable but he was decked full in the face when punched.

That's just splitting hairs. Deku's got too many wasteful motions at the time is the main takeaway.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xarbala posted:

She's a hit in eastern europe

Pony-Chan's going to bring the wrong sort of fan to MHA.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's okay because she's actually just the principal from jitsu wa

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

That's just splitting hairs. Deku's got too many wasteful motions at the time is the main takeaway.

It's not splitting hairs because it's the entire point that the mix up game worked while the kicking fails even with the speedup.

You can make the additional point that it would be good to find a way to reduce the wasteful movements but that doesn't change that the mixup was successful in striking Bakugou when additional speed wasn't enough. Midoriya can reduce his windup time if he realizes that he doesn't need to accelerate his kicks like Iida does.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Not winding up is actually just a general fighting thing. Don't wind up. You're reading too much into it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Considering Deku's only been a member of the non-98lb weakling brigade for like a year, it's not too surprising that he doesn't actually know how to really shoot style fight.

What we need is a montage. Prefereably with a very snooty Frenchman come to teach Deku Savate.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ChronoReverse posted:

It's not splitting hairs because it's the entire point that the mix up game worked while the kicking fails even with the speedup.

You can make the additional point that it would be good to find a way to reduce the wasteful movements but that doesn't change that the mixup was successful in striking Bakugou when additional speed wasn't enough. Midoriya can reduce his windup time if he realizes that he doesn't need to accelerate his kicks like Iida does.

Now I get our issue.

Shoot Style isn't just the kicking. Deku even said it last chapter. That's part of the mix-up game. Deku's now got people expecting kicks, then BAM! Punch to the jaw.

Deku needs to spend some time with Ojiro to improve his moves.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I find it weird that none of their combat training really seems to include actual proper hand-to-hand combat training that ISN'T just being taught by all the teachers who seem to use their own combat techniques for their particular quirk/weapons. I dunno how much you can learn from people whose own combat revolves entirely around their own limitations.

Uraraka is the only one so far who seems to have learned proper self-defense and restraint techniques.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I completely missed Vigilantes until yesterday but drat it owns

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
just hit the gym deku, ya need to focus on real technique not "oh i heard from my classmate this is how you kick"

bakugou's probably in the dojo everyday

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Fabricated posted:

I find it weird that none of their combat training really seems to include actual proper hand-to-hand combat training that ISN'T just being taught by all the teachers who seem to use their own combat techniques for their particular quirk/weapons. I dunno how much you can learn from people whose own combat revolves entirely around their own limitations.

Uraraka is the only one so far who seems to have learned proper self-defense and restraint techniques.

Maybe that's a year 2 thing? Internships and all.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The Crawler is a bad name, he should stick to Gentle-man.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Vigilantes is good. I hope we can move forward a little now that they've done the recap chapter for the new magazine, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm putting money on trigger being the result of some dude's actual quirk producing crazy power-up fluid ala mutant growth hormone from marvel comics

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

eonwe posted:

I completely missed Vigilantes until yesterday but drat it owns

Same and ditto.

In addition to Bancho Cyclops and Wolverine poster earlier, we also get Old Man Luffy.

Also, when Aizawa drops his groceries to fight Knuckleduster, we see a couple boxes of eyedrops and... an issue of Cat Fancy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Crasical posted:

Vigilantes is good. I hope we can move forward a little now that they've done the recap chapter for the new magazine, though.

It's definitely no mainline MHA, but it's fun.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Fabricated posted:

I'm assuming everyone gets basic combat training off-screen while the characters who require more of an edge take special classes, also off-screen.

I enjoy a good training montage as much as the next guy, but a lot of that stuff's implied by the fact that our protagonists are attending a school for superheroes in the first place. Uraraka got singled out for an explicit nod because she felt it was a specific shortcoming she needed to overcome, and shows her shift in mindset from a utilitarian hero (like her rolemodel, No. 13) to someone more combat-capable.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Gentleman's power is actually really cool, and I'm glad his speed limit of "a bicycle" was more self-imposed than a hard limit.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Gentleman's power is actually really cool, and I'm glad his speed limit of "a bicycle" was more self-imposed than a hard limit.

Those soft limits seem like a common thing with quirks. Either the user can just plain learn to get more out of their quirk, or the limit was a safe limit in the first place and it's just a case of learning to use it without getting hurt. Like how Deku has a fuckton of power available, but he can't use it without smashing his bones into dust.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Hauler should learn to curl his toes so he can make the three points of contact whenever he wants instead of always having to put a hand down.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Slime posted:

Those soft limits seem like a common thing with quirks. Either the user can just plain learn to get more out of their quirk, or the limit was a safe limit in the first place and it's just a case of learning to use it without getting hurt. Like how Deku has a fuckton of power available, but he can't use it without smashing his bones into dust.

If Deku had Crawler's power he'd probably be 10 times as fast and also all his bones would be broken forever.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ChronoReverse posted:

Hauler should learn to curl his toes so he can make the three points of contact whenever he wants instead of always having to put a hand down.

he could even just stick out a fist and joust most dudes without a strength quirk, even at bicycle speeds a fist to the junk is crippling

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Elfgames posted:

he could even just stick out a fist and joust most dudes without a strength quirk, even at bicycle speeds a fist to the junk is crippling

Well if he did that he DEFINITELY wouldn't be Gentle-Man.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He now needs to perform the CRAWLER LARIAT.

Yelling out the name, of course.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If he needs three points of contact, couldn't he stand his fingertips and then whirlwind kick everywhere?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
I assume there's a surface area requirement.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I imagine he still needs to hold himself up. It would be like doing a handstand on a skateboard.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
He should just kneel and do samurai moves imo

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
He's probably capable of scooting along on his butt, like a dog.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

HellCopter posted:

I imagine he still needs to hold himself up. It would be like doing a handstand on a skateboard.
By which you mean "totally loving awesome"?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Baron La Croix posted:

He's probably capable of scooting along on his butt, like a dog.

that would at least help him not look creepy when he's commuting, maybe he could even hold a fake steering wheel

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly i'm not entirely sure the three points of contact thing isn't just a "otherwise i'm extremely unstable and i immediately go rear end over teakettle" thing and he could theoretically with practice do it with less

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

When you put it like that, plus the speed limit thing, it's starting to sound like he's just some training away from becoming a speedster.

Can you petition the Speed Force?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
He should get a Gun and watch some John Woo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/816295242043420673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Deku wears sandals for no man or holiday