Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Finally got a box. Got Crime lord, Han, Force choke, Luke, Phasma and AT-ST

Opened up General Veers but got a die for another card instead of his :confused: Does that happen often? kinda sucks. Maybe ill see if they'll send me the right die.

They'll send you the card for the die, not the other way around.

stoko, send you my address, still need yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Deviant posted:

Okay, I'll PM you my address and they'll go out ASAP.

Padded envelope and a ziploc with the dice is probably best to ship these?

I was going to put some rigid cardboard in the envelope too, but I'd say that sounds good.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

stoko posted:

I was going to put some rigid cardboard in the envelope too, but I'd say that sounds good.

If you held onto any of them, I'd suggest just using the original cardboard card-holders.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Other than etsy any places coming out with tournament trays or just general big-rear end collection sorting stuff yet? Cause keeping this all organized is above my pay grade.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

ShowTime posted:

I'm trying to build a deck that utilizes Poe Damerons ability to do broken poo poo and i'm looking for more ideas. I got excited earlier when I thought I could roll with Finn and run Crime Lord in my deck, but no go since his ability only applies to weapons and vehicles. Right now the best thing is Thermal Detonator which is a straight 3 damage from the hand to every opposing character. Obviously gonna roll with Launch Bay and Black One. I could still run with Finn which gives me access to AT-ST.

Can you guys think of anything else stupid I could resolve right from my hand in a Poe Dameron deck? Or cards that let me return cards from the discard pile to my hand.

I'm running something like that atm.

http://swdestinydb.com/deck/view/129682

Big things are cunning to get more Poe effects happening, Emperors Throne Room to force when neccesary and sweet sweet datapad to both make your money and trigger more Poe. It's a little janky, sometimes it EXPLODES on your opponent, sometimes its more moderate.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

fnordcircle posted:

Other than etsy any places coming out with tournament trays or just general big-rear end collection sorting stuff yet? Cause keeping this all organized is above my pay grade.

So far, I think the Plano tackle box trays (or something similar) in the size of your choice seem to be the winner again. I think the 3750 size can fit two decks, tokens, and dice pretty comfortably. A bit overkill for tournament sized carrying, but it's cheap, available, and multi-purpose.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There are people on reddit that are making laser cut trays you could contact and order. Etsy is usually what they use. I just use a regular deckbox and it holds my deck and dice very well. If you can wait, FFG will almost certainly have a storage product coming out in several months.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Luckily my wicker basket system is working out great. Well, for my friend at least, since I'm sure he's gotten a few free dice from when I hit basket and sent my dice flying all over his house.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I need another Jabba, and figured I'd ask here instead of eBay or looking on MiniatureMarket.com. Anyone have one for trade/sale? I don't have any Destiny for trade because I'm trying to complete my set and any extras I have are going towards keeping my local playerbase happy while boosters aren't available, but I do have a ton of Magic: The Gathering cards. Lots of Commander staples especially.

I assume trade requests are okay here because I've seen a few of them in the thread.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pretty cool deck/dice/token box I found on Etsy. It has a lid too, just not pictured

https://www.etsy.com/listing/487368506/fate-tournament-deck-box-destiny?ref=shop_home_active_1

SphericalDan
Sep 30, 2006
I claim this booty in the name of France :D
Hey Destiny players. FFG just posted tournament regulations:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...ext_version.pdf

very interesting that Swiss rounds are single games and only 35 minutes long. Can't wait to start playing in some tournaments at my lgs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SphericalDan posted:

Swiss rounds are single games and only 35 minutes long. Can't wait to start playing in some tournaments at my lgs.

:psyduck: really not understanding that decision with regards to this as a competitive game. Just do Bo3/1 hour.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

:psyduck: really not understanding that decision with regards to this as a competitive game. Just do Bo3/1 hour.

The last few years of WoW TCG running had its Core format (equivalent of MtG Standard) run with 30min Bo1 rounds, and then ran more total rounds than an equally sized Bo3 event would. It worked out fine and was no less competitive. It gave more room for overcoming variance of badly drawn games, and with a game built around dice, I'm all for a similar approach.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

The reason why MTG does this is because of sideboards. SWCCG only ever had BO1 and it was fine.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It's interesting that the first tie breaker alone is damage done. Makes mill and control decks less viable especially with 35 minute rounds. You'll have to work pretty hard to get through your opponents deck fast enough.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I would hope that if a mill deck is gonna win then it can be done in less than 35 minutes. I guess that applies to damage as well. With how this game works I would think that mill decks would actually be faster. At the beginning of turn 1 there are only 25 cards left in each deck. There are so many methods to discard cards from hand, in addition to each player having the option to discard to reroll dice. You have to draw up to your max hand size each turn. I don't think the time limits will be an issue.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
If you aren't milling cards of the top of the deck and you are discarding your opponents entire hand every single turn then you have to finish 6 turns to get through their whole deck. That's slightly over 5 minutes per turn and if your opponent plays slowly even a little bit, just thinking through their turn methodically, I can see it going to time no problem.

I played in a small tournament with 45 minute rounds where there wasn't a single mill deck, it was basically 100% aggro and most games took about 30-35 minutes to complete.

e: As people get better with the game it should become faster but there will always be slower players.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SphericalDan posted:

Hey Destiny players. FFG just posted tournament regulations:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...ext_version.pdf

very interesting that Swiss rounds are single games and only 35 minutes long. Can't wait to start playing in some tournaments at my lgs.

I find the "time doesn't start under a leader says so" (after everyone's completed their setups, mulligans, etc.) is kind of surprising. Dealing with judging Magic for 10+ years and playing for 20+, I can tell FFG that card gamers are going to get ready on their own time. Starting a round at 40 minutes and telling people to hurry up with their mulligans and setup seems like a much cleaner way to do this. As a judge, I don't want to have to wait for players who might be outside smoking, in the bathroom, or otherwise slow at sitting down to start a round. This is why Magic has slow play penalties (which are just recorded warnings at first and don't interfere with the game).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

BJPaskoff posted:

I find the "time doesn't start under a leader says so" (after everyone's completed their setups, mulligans, etc.) is kind of surprising. Dealing with judging Magic for 10+ years and playing for 20+, I can tell FFG that card gamers are going to get ready on their own time. Starting a round at 40 minutes and telling people to hurry up with their mulligans and setup seems like a much cleaner way to do this. As a judge, I don't want to have to wait for players who might be outside smoking, in the bathroom, or otherwise slow at sitting down to start a round. This is why Magic has slow play penalties (which are just recorded warnings at first and don't interfere with the game).

I've done a bunch of x-wing tournaments including at FFG's venue and that's not how it works. It's up to the players to be ready and set up before the timer starts. If you're not set up by then, the leader usually calls timer start and you just do your best to get going.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Played my starter deck with two boosters of changes against a guy who has bought three boxes. Not fun.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Played my starter deck with two boosters of changes against a guy who has bought three boxes. Not fun.

You say that, but I beat a guy with a starter plus deck who had bought six boxes. Kylo + Stormtroopers does a lot of burst damage.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Funnily enough i've played the other way around and the other deck takes wins pretty easily. The most abusive cards played against me were starter cards and starter character powers. loving Kylo Ren. I'm actually cutting legendarys from my deck because all but 1 of them isn't doing anything. Thermal Detonator is good though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is it a friend? If so, tell him to cough up some of his extras to help you build your deck. That's what I've been doing, since I've opened slightly over two boxes and four starters.

Maybe it's because the game is in its infancy, but we've found that you can have fun with any deck as long as it's as close to thirty points as you can get it with at least three starting character dice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The first game he had eVader and Tusken. Vader is ridiculous, rolled five damage right away, and completely neutered anything I tried to do after. Second was Amidala/Rey/Ackbar. I killed Amidala and Ackbar but he hit me with Patience twice while having seven dice out. Between discarding everything and removing my resources, I again couldn't get anything out and was lucky to kill just those two.

Anally Yours
May 31, 2003
Mooolti-pass!
I got really excited to play this game after I discovered this thread a couple weeks ago. I thought I'd wait until after Christmas to pick up the game because I'd heard the supply was very limited. When I went to my local game store yesterday intent on buying both starters and maybe a few boosters, I was shocked when the guy behind the register said they had no starters in stock and wouldn't be getting anymore until mid-January. They had boosters for sale, but there was a limit of six. So I bought my six boosters and went home and put in a pre-order for the starters and two booster boxes online at Miniature Market. Their website says "early 2017" so I guess I play the waiting game now. I'm guessing the game had a lot of hype and way too much demand?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That and they underestimated how long manufacturing would take.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I just found that the war store has some rey starters for $13, though shipping is like $7. I bought 2 so my wife and I each have a deck while I track down kylo.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The first game he had eVader and Tusken. Vader is ridiculous, rolled five damage right away, and completely neutered anything I tried to do after. Second was Amidala/Rey/Ackbar. I killed Amidala and Ackbar but he hit me with Patience twice while having seven dice out. Between discarding everything and removing my resources, I again couldn't get anything out and was lucky to kill just those two.

Tusken Vader is one of the three big aggro decks that have crystallised out of the early meta, so with a smaller card pool you are vulnerable to getting god rolled. Basically you want some dice control to stop yourself getting wrecked early on,but if you dont got the cards, you don't got the cards.

One of the issues with the format is that there are effectively no all common and uncommon decks possible, you need a certain critical mass of rares to get a deck going. Now in a month or so supply should stabilise and singles will solve that and let you build a top tier deck for a modest amount of money, I figure EJango/EVeers to be a fairly cheap proposition, any particular deck type you lean towards?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HidaO-Win posted:

Tusken Vader is one of the three big aggro decks that have crystallised out of the early meta, so with a smaller card pool you are vulnerable to getting god rolled. Basically you want some dice control to stop yourself getting wrecked early on,but if you dont got the cards, you don't got the cards.

One of the issues with the format is that there are effectively no all common and uncommon decks possible, you need a certain critical mass of rares to get a deck going. Now in a month or so supply should stabilise and singles will solve that and let you build a top tier deck for a modest amount of money, I figure EJango/EVeers to be a fairly cheap proposition, any particular deck type you lean towards?

I've got a single Jango die right now to go with Kylo and a Trooper. I do enjoy me some aggro, and free actions like from Jango are great.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

There is little more satisfying in this game than Squad Tactics -> Nowhere to Run -> Intimidate -> Nuking the ever loving poo poo out of some top tier character.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

FFG has a long history of doing stupid tournament setups for no reason I can determine other than wanting to reinvent the wheel. I'd hoped that they'd avoid that for Destiny, since it's not got any of the issues that sort of justified the weirdness of their other systems, but nope, they apparently decided it was critical that people not be able to get draws, so now there's all sorts of arcane end-of-time stuff that favors certain deck types, and no need for it. One of the big advantages of Swiss is that it's okay for people to get draws! Welp.

Not that it's going to stop me from playing in tournaments if I get the chance, I really enjoy the game. And I'd still play Armada tournaments, where the scoring system is just a catastrophe. I just really wish they'd start doing sensible things with their organized play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ultiville posted:

FFG has a long history of doing stupid tournament setups for no reason I can determine other than wanting to reinvent the wheel. I'd hoped that they'd avoid that for Destiny, since it's not got any of the issues that sort of justified the weirdness of their other systems, but nope, they apparently decided it was critical that people not be able to get draws, so now there's all sorts of arcane end-of-time stuff that favors certain deck types, and no need for it. One of the big advantages of Swiss is that it's okay for people to get draws! Welp.

Not that it's going to stop me from playing in tournaments if I get the chance, I really enjoy the game. And I'd still play Armada tournaments, where the scoring system is just a catastrophe. I just really wish they'd start doing sensible things with their organized play.

Thank you for explaining more of what I was complaining about with their choice of bo1. FFG could have a legit MtG competitor here but not if they don't build and support a tournament scene appropriately.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The counter point being that Bo1 doesn't inherently make their OP support "not appropriately supported".

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've got a single Jango die right now to go with Kylo and a Trooper. I do enjoy me some aggro, and free actions like from Jango are great.

Hmm with Kylo, Trooper, Jango. If you can get some commons off the people with larger collections even throwing

2x He Doesn't Like You
2x Backup Muscle
2x Isolation
2x Unpredictable

Should help you out a lot even if you are mostly stuck with a starter.

Ultimately depending on your card pool I'd look at heading to eJango/Trooper/Trooper or eJango/eVeers.

EJango/EVeers may be the total blitz deck of the format, living or dying by the go roll, whereas EJango/Troopers will be the tougher less explosive varient.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Bottom Liner posted:

Thank you for explaining more of what I was complaining about with their choice of bo1. FFG could have a legit MtG competitor here but not if they don't build and support a tournament scene appropriately.

I actually disagree on that point and think BO1 is largely fine for a game without sideboards. The lack of draws (apparently based on wanting to avoid "collusion") is a much bigger deal because it influences how you have to think about playing any game that looks like it has a chance of going to time, and biases some strategies over others. It also makes me just shudder as a judge, because policing slow play is one of the most difficult and obnoxious things to do, and this system frequently rewards it. I also think 35 minutes is too short for the round.

Insofar as there's a problem with BO1, it is that usually people want to do it with more Swiss rounds (the MLPCCG, which bizarrely has a small but dedicated competitive scene, does it this way) which seems rational on the surface but doesn't really work for smaller events. It's fine for larger ones, though. It also does increase variance, of course, but Swiss already reduces that since you've got a few losses to give, more if you do more rounds, and the elimination rounds are BO3. So I think that aspect is mostly fine.

That said, at the end of the day, if you want to have a competitive scene for your CCG, the more you diverge from Magic, the more likely it is you alienate some of those players, as you point out, even if their objections might not be entirely fair. So all things being equal, you probably just want to crib from the DCI. It's certainly a problem that, all things being equal, FFG seems to want to actively avoid doing anything anyone else has ever done before, sometimes including themselves: the Game of Thrones LCG, for example, uses completely different points and things than Destiny for no (to me) apparent reason, including their "modified win" nonsense.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HidaO-Win posted:

Hmm with Kylo, Trooper, Jango. If you can get some commons off the people with larger collections even throwing

2x He Doesn't Like You
2x Backup Muscle
2x Isolation
2x Unpredictable

Should help you out a lot even if you are mostly stuck with a starter.

Ultimately depending on your card pool I'd look at heading to eJango/Trooper/Trooper or eJango/eVeers.

EJango/EVeers may be the total blitz deck of the format, living or dying by the go roll, whereas EJango/Troopers will be the tougher less explosive varient.

I was actually given a couple Backup Muscle and I already have the Unpredictables as well. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ultiville posted:

I actually disagree on that point and think BO1 is largely fine for a game without sideboards. The lack of draws (apparently based on wanting to avoid "collusion") is a much bigger deal because it influences how you have to think about playing any game that looks like it has a chance of going to time, and biases some strategies over others. It also makes me just shudder as a judge, because policing slow play is one of the most difficult and obnoxious things to do, and this system frequently rewards it. I also think 35 minutes is too short for the round.

Insofar as there's a problem with BO1, it is that usually people want to do it with more Swiss rounds (the MLPCCG, which bizarrely has a small but dedicated competitive scene, does it this way) which seems rational on the surface but doesn't really work for smaller events. It's fine for larger ones, though. It also does increase variance, of course, but Swiss already reduces that since you've got a few losses to give, more if you do more rounds, and the elimination rounds are BO3. So I think that aspect is mostly fine.

That said, at the end of the day, if you want to have a competitive scene for your CCG, the more you diverge from Magic, the more likely it is you alienate some of those players, as you point out, even if their objections might not be entirely fair. So all things being equal, you probably just want to crib from the DCI. It's certainly a problem that, all things being equal, FFG seems to want to actively avoid doing anything anyone else has ever done before, sometimes including themselves: the Game of Thrones LCG, for example, uses completely different points and things than Destiny for no (to me) apparent reason, including their "modified win" nonsense.

Yeah I agree with all your points, and Bo1 is ok if it meant more rounds of Swiss, and my comment was more of a short way of complaining about all of this and FFG's tournament structure choices across their organized play.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm not sure why you're putting scare quotes around collusion. FFG semi-recently changed X-Wing's tournament rules to get rid of draws specifically because of collusion. Maybe they're just gun-shy at the moment and they'll adjust as time goes on. It seems reasonable to give them the benefit for now.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

canyonero posted:

I'm not sure why you're putting scare quotes around collusion. FFG semi-recently changed X-Wing's tournament rules to get rid of draws specifically because of collusion. Maybe they're just gun-shy at the moment and they'll adjust as time goes on. It seems reasonable to give them the benefit for now.

MTG also recently changed their rules to combat collusion. It's a problem for a lot of games, especially games with a pro tournament scene. Turns out pros like other pros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

canyonero posted:

The argument that intentionally drawing when it is in both players' interest to do so is collusion is what I was calling out. Actual collusion is certainly worth fighting but isn't addressed by removing draw as a possible outcome.

Edit: and even if you decide you do want to say the ID is collusion, you still have very similar situations come up without it, and still have to police collusion.

Ultiville fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 30, 2016