Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Elephant Ambush posted:

So the only FFT character I have that does NOT have a relic is Agrias. I've been really good about saving mythril for when Orlandeau hits but I'd like some advice on what the best banner to pull on is for Agrias.

Same banner as Orlandeau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CaptainPsyko posted:

Same banner as Orlandeau.

That's what I thought but you guys always know stuff I don't. :)

Thanks.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
100 gem got me Freya's trident. Welcome to the wind team :getin:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Only because you missed mine by omitting the last few words of the sentence.

Nope, sorry, try again. The point has nothing to do with record dives.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I dunno why but Quistis' BSB is getting me to consider at least a 5-Mythril pull. Would dollar pull but uh... yeeeeeah.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zurai posted:

Nope, sorry, try again. The point has nothing to do with record dives.

How do? Let me restate it then if I wasn't clear enough the first time:

The main knock on Quistis's BSB is that, unlike other Mage BSB's, if you're in a situation where the appropriate Chain spell won't cap, (thus being better than her Burst command), she needs to dive to take advantage of that superior 5* spell. Which other mages do not.

That's not a huge drawback or anything, given how easy it is to cap spells under en-element with lots of stacking Mag buffs, and given that Quistis's can wrath-> BSB. But being less capable of charging via weakness hits or using the Chain spell that corresponds to her Burst element without a bunch of 4* motes spent is a legitimate and real drawback.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

widespread posted:

I dunno why but Quistis' BSB is getting me to consider at least a 5-Mythril pull. Would dollar pull but uh... yeeeeeah.

Ask me about getting Quistis' BSB on a dollar pull :getin:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm using Quistis now as she's my strongest mage pull with the BSB. Her +30% magic stacking with other magic buffs is pretty insane, and while not much is weak to poison it is a lot less resisted than I expected. Toss in wrath letting her have the bsb up almost always and she's great even without 5* blm, im working on getting her that to have meltdown too

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

You literally don't need to dive Quistis for BLK 5. The MAG you get from it is welcome sure, but chain biora is not necessary at all. She is a caster with support 4. She can wrath into back to back enelement BSBs the same as Terra's Fire Beam.

Quistis owns, Trepies ride forth

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beasteh posted:

You literally don't need to dive Quistis for BLK 5. The MAG you get from it is welcome sure, but chain biora is not necessary at all. She is a caster with support 4. She can wrath into back to back enelement BSBs the same as Terra's Fire Beam.

Quistis owns, Trepies ride forth

Meltdown :getin:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Wrath and mental breakdown are all you need son :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

There are better mages for that (Terra, Vivi, Krile, Papalymo, Rinoa, Maria, Alphinaud).

I mean, even if Red XIII suddenly got like a +Lightning hairpin with an Enlightning magic Burst, it doesn't mean you'd immediately jump to dive him to Black 6.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are better mages for that (Terra, Vivi, Krile, Papalymo, Rinoa, Maria, Alphinaud).

I mean, even if Red XIII suddenly got like a +Lightning hairpin with an Enlightning magic Burst, it doesn't mean you'd immediately jump to dive him to Black 6.

I dived her to both white 4* and black 5*. You can just plop on shellga/protega with wrath and be entirely self sufficient, it's great!

Not too sure about the 5* black though. Quistis with wrath and an elementally weak chain spell can use her bsb as both a stackable magic boost and backup damage when she's done with the chain uses. That and meltdown are the only reasons to have it, as I'm pretty sure her bsb with en-poison will outdamage any non-weakness hitting 5*.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

But being less capable of charging via weakness hits or using the Chain spell that corresponds to her Burst element without a bunch of 4* motes spent is a legitimate and real drawback.

Quistis is no less capable of charging via weakness, since Bioga exists and generates all of 7 less (out of 500 needed) SB gauge per use against weakness. In both cases you need 5 casts and 1 hit, or 4 casts and 3 hits, to generate one full SB gauge.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 30, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't have any of those bursts except for Terra and she doesn't boost elements

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zurai posted:

Quistis is no less capable of charging via weakness, since Bioga exists and generates all of 7 less (out of 500 needed) SB gauge per use against weakness. In both cases you need 5 casts and 1 hit, or 4 casts and 3 hits, to generate one full SB gauge.

Yeah, except then you're doing half the damage while that happens, which is my point.

I mean, regardless, I think it's a drawback that's pretty easy to handwave away with "she can cast wrath and use burst commands", but it doesn't change the drawback.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Quistis is still cool and good whether you dive her or not.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, except then you're doing half the damage while that happens, which is my point.

I mean, regardless, I think it's a drawback that's pretty easy to handwave away with "she can cast wrath and use burst commands", but it doesn't change the drawback.

Having her burst of all things is a reason to dive her. This shouldn't be something you'd have to handwave away. Also seriously consider white 4* on her. An extra white 4* is wonderful when you need it.

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
Dumb question: where is the discord, exactly?

Dumber question: assuming I don't get any other OSBs than Terra and Tidus', who the gently caress should I dive?

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Okay so OSB Fest and XIV are the big attention grabbing banners we currently have or will soon have available. But what else in the near future might be worth dumping a bunch of mythril into? TG Cid Tactics? Fujin/Raijin VIII?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did they screw with the gold knights in this event? I've had multiple runs today with gold knights on 2 waves.

I mean its nice and all but its probably just RNG being RNG.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well, finished my roulette drops this afternoon. They dropped pretty consistently for me. I guess 1 gold per chip will be a tiny extra bit by the end of things.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Did they screw with the gold knights in this event? I've had multiple runs today with gold knights on 2 waves.

RNG being RNG. I had awesome luck a couple of days ago, but lackluster now.

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Contrariwise, I've been seeing almost nothing but Cactuar. Nice, but weird.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CaptainPsyko posted:

You're not doing 2x9999 with Chainspells anyway (and unless you're extremely stacked you probably won't cap with -jas on high-level bosses), so you're not losing that much damage by not diving to 5*. Realistically it's about a 16% boost upgrading from -jas to chaingas, which is a better boost than the 6% most mages get for completing their 4* sphere but it doesn't apply to her BSB commands.

It's still a viable option and probably better than 60% of other characters' Dives, but you can still do very competently with Quistis just with her base kit.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
:burger::burger::burger:
Not sure if everyone knows this, but orbfest mini cactaurs will drop 2 of the 3 offered orbs depending on which battle you're fighting in.

So the one you want is battle part 2 for Power and Wind normal orbs!
:burger::burger::burger:

I made good use of my fire/white/earth major orbs by pumping r1 fire within to r4 so I could solo the earth skeleton 90 difficulty event boss with our babe Refia (Shura Gloves + double monk trigger rm).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarcusSA posted:

It's RNG being RNG. I haven't seen a single knight all day.

goons posted:

Quistis

Poison is about as stable an element as dark and earth - which is to say, there's a fair amount of trash that resists it but not much that is actually dangerous has it as a resistance. Unfortunately, by contrast, it's almost never a weakness unless your name is Seifer. Good thing FF8 events loving love the Seifer fights, I guess.

The entire point of (slightly weaker than Chain-ga) command 1s on mage BSBs is so that you don't need to go balls-out honing up 5* skills to be able to poo poo out damage if you don't mind not being the absolute peak of optimization. Likewise, the entire point of the command 1 on Quistis BSB is so that you don't waste record motes that could instead go to something more useful, like giving her proshellga access.

Piebald Hell posted:

Dumber question: assuming I don't get any other OSBs than Terra and Tidus', who the gently caress should I dive?

Who are your best BSB-holders? They're usually your best bet.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 30, 2016

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Daraken posted:

Okay so OSB Fest and XIV are the big attention grabbing banners we currently have or will soon have available. But what else in the near future might be worth dumping a bunch of mythril into? TG Cid Tactics? Fujin/Raijin VIII?

I think all the banners after that point are so consistently good that you can just focus on what you personally need. I'm personally struggling trying to figure out what to do after XIV because I want everything :argh:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Adel posted:

I think all the banners after that point are so consistently good that you can just focus on what you personally need. I'm personally struggling trying to figure out what to do after XIV because I want everything :argh:

I love me some Tactics so I'm probably going to hold out until then. I've made out like a god drat bandit in this orbfest so I don't need anything else. Wall (finally!), Terra and Tidus OSB, Luneth BSB, in 3 pulls. I don't need a single god drat thing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Daraken posted:

Lightning OSB 2 and Seymour 1 are both good banners for mage teams. The former has Cid Raines's BSB aka the best DPS mage BSB in the game, Hope's BSB which is serviceable if unexciting, Hope's OSB, and Serah's party MAG/MND + Haste SSB; it also has Sazh's party 50% ATK buff SSB, which is nice for Cid's Missions if nothing else. Seymour's banner has Yuna's BSB2, which is arguably the top mage party healer BSB (the other possibility is Porom's, which has the benefit of a single target Curaise command but loses the possibility of dealing uncounterable damage while healing; it's also much, much later in the timeline), Braska's SSB2 which is one of the best pure faithgas, and Seymour's BSB which actually has a surprising amount of usefulness (Imperil Dark for Raines BSB, plus its entry and commands have Instant KO procs which are very nice for some of the Torment dungeons).

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Who are your best BSB-holders? They're usually your best bet.

Only BSB I have is Celes. (Maria's Song)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if it must be a choice between the two which is better to hone curaja or curaise

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cowcaster posted:

if it must be a choice between the two which is better to hone curaja or curaise
Curaja has utility in everything, curaise is pretty much just a multiplayer thing

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah definitely always Curaja there.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The problem with Curaise is if you have to revive someone, you have to re-add buffs. Most fights where someone died, I just don't have time to get those buffs back up before someone else is dead. So it's almost always better to bring Curaja and just not let people die as much as possible.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i guess more my question is i have two fully honed 3* curagas, and a weakly honed curaja doesn't bring much to the table, in that it fully heals but it runs out quicker. I was wondering if the raise part of curaise would make up for that.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
As has been said, if you're finding yourself with a dead party member, reviving them with low HP and no buffs is just asking for them to get killed again. If you're bringing two White Mages, one should have Shellga or Protectga, the other should have the other and both should have a high-honed healing spell. Also, you need to fix your roster so you're not running two White Mages. Curaja and Curaise are both 4*; what you want to do is start honing Curaja to phase out your Curagas. They're done their part.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I dig it. Does curaise heal more than a curaga though?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
No, same potency: h80. (source)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

To be honest up until like last week I didn't have Curaja at all. I used the free one that they gave away for...multiplayer? and honed it, before that I cleared everything with curaga still because I was lazy.

• Locked thread