Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skasion posted:

I think this one is A Taste of Armageddon.

It is.

It's a great episode, but the best part is Scotty hanging out on the Enterprise repeatedly telling the rear end in a top hat diplomat to gently caress off and then being completely cool with potentially leveling every major city on the planet. Scotty owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

skasion posted:

Squire of Gothos. This one doesn't make a whole lot of sense but comes off fantastically just because the titular squire is so full-throatedly goofy. One of my favorite Spock lines as well: "I object to you. I object to intellect without discipline. I object to power without constructive purpose."

That guy was basically Q mixed with Londo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Data Graham posted:

That guy was basically Q mixed with Londo.

He's not a child, he's 34.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I love Squire of Gothos. It's like a proto-Q episode, if Q were a spoiled child. William Campbell is clearly having lots of fun with the role.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm gonna be a dweeb here and point out that the giant green space hand is in Who Mourns for Adonais and not The Squire of Gothos.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Getting to the Voyager part of The Fifty Year Mission, and its really interesting how the two shows worked out.

DS9 was ignored and it's writers got to do what they did, and the result was a show that some fans are passionate about, but comparitively ignored by the bulk of the audience and/or doesn't really stick in the cultural mindset of Trek.

Voyager gets focused on, executives meddle, the staff gets annoyed with themselves and each other... and like we've discussed above, it succeeded more than its sister show in terms of general popularity and attachment to Star Trek as a brand.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I loving love Taste of Armageddon. "Death, destruction, disease, horror. That's what war is all about, Anan. That's what makes it a thing to be avoided." is a quote for the ages.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MisterBibs posted:

Getting to the Voyager part of The Fifty Year Mission, and its really interesting how the two shows worked out.

DS9 was ignored and it's writers got to do what they did, and the result was a show that some fans are passionate about, but comparitively ignored by the bulk of the audience and/or doesn't really stick in the cultural mindset of Trek.

Voyager gets focused on, executives meddle, the staff gets annoyed with themselves and each other... and like we've discussed above, it succeeded more than its sister show in terms of general popularity and attachment to Star Trek as a brand.

The part I don't get, though, is that I thought DS9 had better ratings. By the Nielsons, it was more popular, with the pilot getting three times the viewership of Voyager's.

It probably brands better as Star Trek, but there's no indication more people watched it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I have to wonder how much of this has to do with Voyager being a flagship show for UPN at the time; I can remember lots of advertising for Voyager when it was new but aside for a few commercials for the final episodes of DS9 I recall very little marketing for that show

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Paradoxish posted:

It is.

It's a great episode, but the best part is Scotty hanging out on the Enterprise repeatedly telling the rear end in a top hat diplomat to gently caress off and then being completely cool with potentially leveling every major city on the planet. Scotty owns.

It's a weird thing in TOS: Scotty is sometimes portrayed like he's a socially-inept hyper nerd, but clearly he was a hard-drinkin' badass.

Tangentally, Guilty TOS Pleasure: The Wolf in the Fold, where Scotty can't stop murdering women!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's not his fault, he was possessed by a spirit.

That spirit was a bottle of Denobulan rye.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

From what I recall they didn't meet his asking price

Yep, he was lowballed and turned the project down.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I only know Guillermo del Toro and was really confused imagining him as Khan.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

And now my mind has jumped to "Guillermo del Toro and Hideo Kojima's The Wrath of Khan".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Imagine the Raiden/Armstrong fight but Kirk/Khan 1:1.

Vulcan-shaped robot buddy :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

And now my mind has jumped to "Guillermo del Toro and Hideo Kojima's The Wrath of Khan".

Please don't taunt us with things that aren't and never will be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hideo Kojima's Star Trek would have the film go back to the BluRay menu at a pivotal moment in the plot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The part I don't get, though, is that I thought DS9 had better ratings. By the Nielsons, it was more popular, with the pilot getting three times the viewership of Voyager's.

The pilot's high ratings are actually mentioned at the rear end-end of the DS9 segment, for what its worth. I can't remember the context specifically, but I want to say it a wistful man-we-started-out-that-popular thing.

As for the general ratings, I've generally chalked this discrepancy to the fact that what we plebians can look up and what actual people working at actual Paramount looking at their actual data looked at. The Fifty Year Mission talks about both shows having holy-poo poo drops in ratings that required adding something new to the mix (Worf became part of DS9, 7o9 was added to Voyager) to keep them afloat.

Tighclops posted:

I have to wonder how much of this has to do with Voyager being a flagship show for UPN at the time; I can remember lots of advertising for Voyager when it was new but aside for a few commercials for the final episodes of DS9 I recall very little marketing for that show

Oh, the higher-ups went to the DS9 writing staff and flat out told them that Voyager was going to be the capital-s capital-t Star Trek series from then on out. It was the reason why they got away with all that they did on the show. By the time Voyager was being advertised, they had basically cut their losses on getting DS9 to grab huge audiences.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder if Voyager would have been better if it didn't get stuck in the Delta Quadrant and was basically treated as a continuation of TNG.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Ran across this a while back:

That DS9 premiere. :stare:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Y'all joke but Kojima is a legit sci-fi nerd and has often referred to his studio as the starship Enterprise

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/814432045698977794

He's the best :allears:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I remember earlier in this thread someone said that Aquiel, of all episodes, had something like the 4th or 5th best neilsen ratings of TNG's whole run.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kazinsal posted:

It would just be Norman Reedus as the captain, mumbling away.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

TNG's ratings were on a general uptick across the whole run. That's completely bonkers, no wonder they kept chasing it so much.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I want a Kojima trek game now. Could involve Q, who fucks with the players mind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Press X now, if you dare, Pi-card.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Capt. Picard: I sincerely hope that this is the last time that I find myself here.
Q: You just don't get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The game never ends. We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your playstyle and your horizons. And for one brief moment, you did.
Capt. Picard: When I realized the console reset.
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping puzzles and studying bosses, but charting the unknown possibilities of loving with players' heads.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Your Call of Duty saves will adapt to service us. Save scumming is futile.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wish there was a Mass Effect like Star Trek game, but then I guess that's just a roundabout way of wishing Mass Effect was Star Trek.

Ah, yes, ‘the Borg’. The immortal race of cyborgs allegedly waiting in the Gamma Quadrant. We have dismissed this claim.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Lwaxana reading your save files?

"Jean-luc! You played Catharine? Don't think I don't know what you were thinking."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Lwaxana reading your save files?

"Jean-luc! You played Catharine? Don't think I don't know what you were thinking."

Legit good idea

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Wait, maybe that's Parrises Squares: live-action holodeck reenactments of Catherine's block puzzles. No wonder it kills children.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Powered Descent posted:

Has anybody suggested that if you combine DS9 with Voyager's ratings it equals out to roughly TNG ratings?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also it looks like DS9 started dropping off hard when TNG ended.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
It kind of looks like DS9 was consistently a little bit more popular than Voyager during its entire run.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really hope this show has Parisses squares to fill in that much needed plot gap but it's really lovely.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

It is.

"So what did you do with the tribbles"

"Oh I beamed them off of the ship" :)

"You beamed them into space!?" :stare:

"I'M NOT A MONSTER sir!" :mad:

"So what did you do with them?" :ohdear:

"Oh, I just beamed them onto the Klingon ship as a going away present" :haw:

Scotty and crew laugh about how he just beamed hundreds of creatures to an enemy vessel where they will be systematically murdered. Scotty is one cold blooded son of a bitch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nebakenezzer posted:

Has anybody suggested that if you combine DS9 with Voyager's ratings it equals out to roughly TNG ratings?

At only several times TNG's budget! :pseudo:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 30, 2016

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Pakled posted:

I remember earlier in this thread someone said that Aquiel, of all episodes, had something like the 4th or 5th best neilsen ratings of TNG's whole run.

Yeah, I don't know if anyone looked up whether that airing had an especially good lead in or less competition, but the simple explanation is that TNG was riding really high at the time. The crew were gracing magazine covers, video games and novels were being licensed, lunch boxes and action figures were roaring out of the injection molds at a furious clip, and the "where's Kirk?" crowd had finally shut up. That sudden high seems to have gone to everyone's head and is probably the only reason anyone ever considered doing two more spinoff series and starting a movie franchise all at once. There was a period in the early 90s where both TNG and DS9 were airing, Generations was in development, and Voyager was in the planning stages. They really thought that a team that had taken them years to assemble and which was already busy with just one show could be rapidly expanded to handle three and a movie without quality dropping or the audience revolting. The arrogance and greed are astounding.

Then ratings crashed because, well, of course they did. TNG peaked with season 5 and was a shadow of itself by season 7. Early DS9 had a rocky start and started hemorrhaging viewers. Early DS9 is actually pretty good, mostly, but the tone is all over the map, the Bajorans are tedious, and it just doesn't quite know what kind of show it's trying to be. I think a lot of people only had space in their brains for one Star Trek series and TNG was still on the air and still pretty good, so the contrast was hard on it. Early Voyager was a complete mess but it picked up a lot of the TNG audience (and probably would have picked up more if it weren't on loving UPN), but then the general public started getting bored with Trek and Generations had already pissed the turbonerds off and everything went to poo poo. Berman and co spent the rest of their time with Trek desperately pulling out ratings stunts and retooling and turning Voyager and Enterprise into TNG cargo cults because they just couldn't conceive of the notion that they themselves had become the problem they were trying to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I just watched TMP again and it was significantly more horny than I'd remembered.