Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Trevor Hale posted:

My husband and I got married a few years ago, we eloped, as a joke

This is about as far as you need to read to get the whole picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Danaru posted:

I don't get it.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
My SO isn't addicted to Facebook like I am, and when I continued to pester him about it he just deleted it.

How can we be sure life isn't just a figment of our imagination if it isn't documented on social media?!

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Danaru posted:

I think I found her facebook

No, really, though, why is he stonewalling her about this of all things. These people gotta learn how to communicate. Married people who can't even talk to each other are the worst, why are they married?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Skratte posted:

No, really, though, why is he stonewalling her about this of all things. These people gotta learn how to communicate. Married people who can't even talk to each other are the worst, why are they married?

It's a prank, bro!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Wedding drama with a twist!

My friend [28F] held a surprise wedding despite my warnings and lots of people didn't come. How do I [27F] calm her down?

quote:

I'm using my throwaway to ask this for my sister because I thought you guys might be able to give her some good advice:

My friend Lucy has always been really into romance and weddings and all that stuff. So when she got engaged I figured she would have some very specific ideas. Thus began the problem. A few years ago we both went to a party a mutual friend threw and it turned out to be a surprise wedding. It was nothing fancy - just a house party and nice food. Everyone had a really great time.

Lucy recalled that event and decided she wanted to do the same thing, only fancier. She spent a lot of time figuring out decorations, how she would reveal the wedding, sneaky catering, all that stuff.

Unfortunately she failed to remember that our mutual friend is an extremely sociable person who never fails to show up for her friends. Lucy is not like that. She frequently responds that she will come to parties and then does not come. She mostly likes to take care of herself. That isn't a problem most of the time.

This time it was. She sent out the invites for the wedding the way she would a regular party - on facebook. Some people responded that they wouldn't be able to make it, and she seemed to accept that, though the number of people who declined was higher than she would have liked. Then there were a few maybes. We all know what maybe means on a facebook event. A reasonable number of people said they would come, but about a third of those didn't end up coming.

The wedding went ahead but she was in a bad mood for a lot of the day. Now she's angry at basically all her friends, including some of the ones who came because they apparently should have made the others stick to their word and come. I tried to tell her that as far as they knew, it was just an ordinary party (and at a busy time of year too!) but she just won't have it. She's starting to get mad at me for making excuses. I don't know what to do. What can I say to calm her down?

tl;dr: Friend threw surprise wedding and not many people came. Now she's mad at everyone. What do I do?

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

zakharov posted:

My friend [28F] held a surprise wedding despite my warnings and lots of people didn't come. How do I [27F] calm her down?

tl;dr - ME! ME! ME! If it's not about me, I don't care. You're all assholes for not paying enough attention to me.

I'd love to watch her friend Lucy's meltdown if her Facebook ever got compromised or deleted.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

was it even her wedding? how did that never come up in the story?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I hope Lucy kills herself

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

zakharov posted:

Lol classic. There's something about wedding planning schadenfreude that is just really satisfying

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
As someone currently planning a wedding I strongly agree.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
There's something about weddings that just breaks some people.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I hate weddings. I enjoyed mine! But good god I hope none of my friends ever ask me to be in their wedding party because ugh

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I let an alligator bite my entire right hand off so I could never get married

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Frog Act posted:

this is pretty hilarious

Me [M/25] and my GF [F/22], both Twitch streamers, she's gained a lot of weight (100+ lbs) and I'm losing attraction for her

Overweight people lose sex drive pretty rapidly.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I imagine the pulley system involved is a really labour intensive

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Sjs00 posted:

I let an alligator bite my entire right hand off so I could never get married

i have some bad news about which hand the ring goes on friend

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Ranma Fan Art posted:

fucj

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm extremely reliable about showing up to events when I say I will, so I love it when flaky people get karma'd. At her loving wedding too, good

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Ranma Fan Art posted:

when in doubt check with goatse

How do I [15m] Explain to my Parents That The Way They Play Board Games Makes it Really Tense and Unfun for Me?

quote:

My parents are terrible at board games, but for better or for worse they always want to play them. My mother is not at all good at interpreting the rules, and is an apalling loser. My father won't ever do anything that impacts her negatively in a competitive board game because he's walking the drat tightrope of her going ultra passive-aggressive on everyone for the rest of the evening. This invariably results in one of three outcomes depending on the nature of the game.

• In games with no capability for teaming, me or my father wins and my incessantly complains about everything.
  • My parents unofficially team up because my dad doesn't want to set her off by interrupting her plans. I lose overwhelmingly because I try to stop my mother winning and they 2v1 me, usually resulting in my mum winning.
  • We never finish the game because it turns out that mum has been playing the game wrong for the last half an hour.

Yet if I say I don't want to play when she asks, I'll recieve this huge lecture about spending so much time on the computer that I don't want to do anything else. And then she'll ban me from screens and ban me from going out for the rest of the evening so I'm forced to read or brave a loving game with her.

I absolutely do not look forward to these sessions. She will not co-operate with anybody in anything that benefits them in the slightest, but if that is used against her then she complains that everyone is teaming up against her. Yet when I try to offer deals, she invariably responds 'why should I do something that only helps you and puts you further in the lead passive aggressive laugh' so I stopped trying.

This is really rambly, because I'm kinda pissed off after getting out of a five hour game of Star Trek: Ascendancy where mum won because my dad spent the entire game trading with her while spending all his resources eliminating me from the game.

tl;dr: Mum always insists on playing board games, proceeds to be a horrible sport. How do I approach her in a non-confrontational way?
My favorite types of posts are very quickly becoming ones from younger posters about their awful parents

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Skratte posted:

I don't get the joke in this loss parody

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

from a few pages back, but how weird is a large age gap among siblings? my sister is 18 years older than me and my brother 14 but my family is crazy af and all of us are varying degrees of hosed up

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tolkien minority posted:

from a few pages back, but how weird is a large age gap among siblings? my sister is 18 years older than me and my brother 14 but my family is crazy af and all of us are varying degrees of hosed up

A few people responded, it's not all that odd, my oldest brother is ~18 years older than me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its weird af, they could be your parents

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

when in doubt check with goatse

How do I [15m] Explain to my Parents That The Way They Play Board Games Makes it Really Tense and Unfun for Me?
My favorite types of posts are very quickly becoming ones from younger posters about their awful parents

As a board gamer this triggers me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I respect his mother's ability to ruin board games, which are for boring people who are frittering away time until they die.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pick posted:

I respect his mother's ability to ruin board games, which are for boring people who are frittering away time until they die.

Post some of your hobbies Pick :)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anyone who is posting here but claiming they aren't frittering away time until dying is a liar.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pick posted:

Get out of town!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Board and card games have been the cause of my parents' hugest fights, so I support this kid's desire to eradicate Family Game Night.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Thats what all hobbies are for though?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Quote-Unquote posted:

Post some of your hobbies Pick :)

Painting/sculpting, working out, taxidermy collecting, reading.

Antivehicular posted:

Board and card games have been the cause of my parents' hugest fights, so I support this kid's desire to eradicate Family Game Night.

As a child of even extremely tender years, my parents were always cutthroat at those games so I always lost. So I learned to cheat, e.g. slip myself some extra hundos of Monopoly money a few hours prior and bring it out when they were distracted.

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 30, 2016

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Kid needs to look into co-op board games

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pick posted:

Sounds boring. Stop frittering your life away and try some social activities.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Kid needs to look into co-op board games
I feel like that could be just as bad when the family inevitably fails at Forbidden Desert or something and the mom blows up at everyone

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I feel like that could be just as bad when the family inevitably fails at Forbidden Desert or something and the mom blows up at everyone

Imagine the family spending $70 on Pandemic: Legacy only for mom to destroy the wrong pieces after the first play.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Could just say he doesn't want to play games with them for the stated reasons. Seem like good reasons to me. Alternatively, play Chess or other one on one games to eliminate the teaming up bullshit.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

Pick posted:

deviantart/playdough, masturbation, necrophelia, hentai

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Clearly they just need to play a nice, relaxing game of Battlestar Galactica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Meridian posted:

Could just say he doesn't want to play games with them for the stated reasons. Seem like good reasons to me. Alternatively, play Chess or other one on one games to eliminate the teaming up bullshit.

gently caress that. Teaming up and ruining someone's fun is a perfect life lesson on how to kick rear end and take names.