Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Let it never be said that I learned any sort of lesson ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Cheers 14, raising my glass to you and danno and sims as well. Get home safely and pet your cat, you did an awesome job. Looking forward to the adventures of The Trukk pt 2 whenever it happens.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Oh man, the people on the plane are going to hate you so much.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ExplodingSims posted:

Well, considering most quotes I was given started in the 2-3k range I'm still ahead in that regard.

But it wasn't just about saving money. It was about adventure, getting out and seeing new places, and just doing something considered impossible. And you know what? We did it. It's almost there.

I spent the night before last pretty much in full despair and anger mode, but now I'm excited again. Granted, it sucks to wait, but it's more time to get things planned out and shore up some funds. I can get those two last tires now. We cam get a proper exhaust, And time to do some more research on any other potential issues.

I have to talk to Dave and Dan about what the plan from here on out is, but I'd like to shoot for an April return to finish the last few bits and get this on the road.

Personally I'd hold off on the tires if you might end up putting a different rearend (chevy 14 bolt comes to mind... easily strong enough, less retarded bolt pattern, and you can probably find a way to put different hubs and brakes on the front to match it) in there that wouldn't require these stupid wheels and stupid tall tires.

So what's the full list at this point that remains?
- lights?
- brake pedal arm clearance
- exhaust
- more tires?
- have time for actual test-runs around town before driving off away from parts stores and machinists
- cooling system???
- tidy up wiring more if Dave didn't already do that
- heat, or aircon, which would probably be more use to you in Florida. I can't imagine where you're going to find an HVAC tech to do a custom refrigerant system for you though. :haw:
- wipers?
- reassemble bodywork
- horn?
- dual circuit brakes?

I can't guarantee it, but maybe I can find a project to buy in Colorado or Nebraska and drive home at the same time as you guys, since I've been looking for a cheapish good condition woodside GW for my wife. More support vehicles and gearheads with spare parts and tools in one place is probably a good idea. I'll try and convince chrisgt he needs to buy a new project too. It looks like a sidetrip to Valentine would only add 140 miles to the route home that I took last time, and would give you guys about 100 miles of backup vehicle presence with enough space for everyone, tools, and spare parts inside.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*cough* gladiator *cough**ffffffrrrrrtttt*

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I want it on record that when Sims makes it back to Nebraska and discovers fully the crimes and atrocities committed in this field that I am a Patriot and that I am unashamed of my actions, and I did them in service of my country. I do not fear the gallows. I welcome them with open arms.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

I cannot tell whether this is a before or after pic...

Well done 14. :golfclap: I for one cannot wait for I Bought A Truck: Bad Decisions ITT 2: The Return of The Fury

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

*cough* gladiator *cough**ffffffrrrrrtttt*

oh believe me I want it (the one at the machinists shop?), but that's for me. I need to dispose of a few more junk vehicles first to make space. A good condition Grand Wagoneer though? That's for her.

Wind in the midwest is something I wasn't even close to prepared for. Last time I was out there was in March, on the tail end of winter, in Indiana, and I ended up welding a loving bumper together in a muddy field after dark while it was snowing sideways. Then all my drat angle grinder cutoff discs blew away. I didn't even know they could blow away, much like your license plates.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

I imagined more like this, but with the truck in its completed form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymc1eww7od0&t=39s

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

oh believe me I want it (the one at the machinists shop?), but that's for me. I need to dispose of a few more junk vehicles first to make space. A good condition Grand Wagoneer though? That's for her.

Wind in the midwest is something I wasn't even close to prepared for. Last time I was out there was in March, on the tail end of winter, in Indiana, and I ended up welding a loving bumper together in a muddy field after dark while it was snowing sideways. Then all my drat angle grinder cutoff discs blew away. I didn't even know they could blow away, much like your license plates.

Here you go, only 10~ hours away from Valentine! :haw:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Jeep-Wagoneer-/322373968492?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4b0efc626c:g:NJgAAOSwEzxYZX9f&item=322373968492
What's 600 miles in the name of Adventure?

kastein posted:

Personally I'd hold off on the tires if you might end up putting a different rearend (chevy 14 bolt comes to mind... easily strong enough, less retarded bolt pattern, and you can probably find a way to put different hubs and brakes on the front to match it) in there that wouldn't require these stupid wheels and stupid tall tires.

So what's the full list at this point that remains?
- lights?
- brake pedal arm clearance
- exhaust
- more tires?
- have time for actual test-runs around town before driving off away from parts stores and machinists
- cooling system???
- tidy up wiring more if Dave didn't already do that
- heat, or aircon, which would probably be more use to you in Florida. I can't imagine where you're going to find an HVAC tech to do a custom refrigerant system for you though. :haw:
- wipers?
- reassemble bodywork
- horn?
- dual circuit brakes?

Let's see as far as parts go:
Lights: I bought new headlights and pigtails, not sure if Dave installed them yet though. Rears I had wired in, but not mounted. Dave ripped the wiring apart again though because SOMEBODY DIDN'T LIKE MY WIRING.

Brake pedal: That's gonna require some brainstorming, but I'm sure something can be figured out. Maybe we'll just go to firewall mounted one, since I think that's what it'll end up with eventually.

Exhaust: YES. If we don't change headers again, to clear the brakes, I'm thinking I'll just go up and over, tee into one and then run it under the cab with a muffler.

Test Run: Might still be possibility before Dave leaves. At low speeds of course

Cooling: Ehh, we'll see how that goes. Allegedly the stock radiator can handle the extra load, but I might not be a bad idea to shop around. Supposedly a 60s Mustang radiator fits.

Wiring: OH GOD YES. I know Dave had to do this under less than ideal conditions, but man that wiring run makes me twitch like crazy.

Heat/Air: Heating: Possibly, depending on the weather, If the existing core is fine, it'll stay, but I'll have to get a 12V fan. But since everybody restobods these trucks I can't imagine that'll be an issue.
As far as A/C goes, this truck will have A/C one day, but I'd rather wait til I have the final engine in, whatever that may be, as running the refrigerant lines in gonna be pretty specific to that unit. Aaaaand I also have some ideas for making up some custom ducting and vents for truck as well, but that involves getting a 3D printer first.

Wipers: This one's a bit of a questiom. The existing setup is vacuum wipers. No idea if they work. Now, we could get a setup for this, using the vacuum port off of the L05 that used to control the A/C, but I'm not sure how well it'll work. If the motors even move at all. Eventually I'd like to go full electric, so maybe I'll see what's involved in that swap.

Bodywork: Pretty much done, unless we do another major component swap.

Horn: The stock horn actually works! Sounds a bit funny, but it honks. Just need to wire up a switch or something. Or maybe I'll scavenge a set of those super loud Cadillac horns from the 80s.

Dual Circuit brakes: This depends on how the master cylinder choice goes. I'd like to go for a dual setup, and they do make a cylinder that's similar to the stock one that had multiple circuits.
And it we swap to a firewall based one, then that'll certainly be dual.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I at least used heat shrink butt connectors :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I at least used heat shrink butt connectors :colbert:

Ah, now we know why you keep chugging ghost pepper sauce.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Good night sweat prints. RIP in peas.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Beach Bum posted:

Ah, now we know why you keep chugging ghost pepper sauce.

I happen to enjoy the flavor :colbert:

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

ExplodingSims posted:

Cooling: Ehh, we'll see how that goes. Allegedly the stock radiator can handle the extra load, but I might not be a bad idea to shop around. Supposedly a 60s Mustang radiator fits.

I know a lot of older trucks came with copper radiators that cool incredibly well. They're generally much thicker than they need to be too. If it's in good shape and has decent fan ducting it should be more than adequate. The engine you put in there isn't some 400hp monster anyways. Any new replacement you find will either cool worse, cost lots of $$$ or won't last very long.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No woodgrain :sigh:

As for the list, it all makes sense to me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

Yeah, the wind on the way to work yesterday was throwing my Crown Vic all over the road, much less something that presents an actual target for it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I want it on record that when Sims makes it back to Nebraska and discovers fully the crimes and atrocities committed in this field that I am a Patriot and that I am unashamed of my actions, and I did them in service of my country. I do not fear the gallows. I welcome them with open arms.

Extremism in the defense of auto rebuilding is no vice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am so upset that I didn't get to post on page 100.

Soldier on Dave! Got pet dat catte!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Catte chatte, don't be surprised if the cat is standoffish for a day or two when you come back. Some of my cattes are very happy to see a long-gone human companion return, but others take a while to restore confidence that you are who you smell you are, and not some sort of dangerous imposter. If you're not prepared for that, there can be hurt feelings.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Catte chatte, don't be surprised if the cat is standoffish for a day or two when you come back. Some of my cattes are very happy to see a long-gone human companion return, but others take a while to restore confidence that you are who you smell you are, and not some sort of dangerous imposter. If you're not prepared for that, there can be hurt feelings.

She still sleeps on my laundry pile basically every night, I'm thinking she remembers me

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh sure, but it's not about remembering. When my wife came home after 12 weeks away, the cat that loves her absolutely the most was kind of freaked out and hid from her for six hours. Cats have weird alien minds.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leperflesh posted:

Cats are weird aliens.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have the best cat gone for however long she loses her mind can't wait to see me. Let's me carry her like a baby and comes like a dog when I call. But raised her since about 3 weeks old

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My favorite gone-for-while cat response is "oh, you. You're back. Gonna go piss on your laundry: Good to see you again."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Deceptor101 posted:

I know a lot of older trucks came with copper radiators that cool incredibly well. They're generally much thicker than they need to be too.

Yeah didn't this truck originally have like a four blade metal fan with no shroud? A modern fan on this radiator would bring it up to par I think.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I ran out of cigarettes five hours ago :suicide:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Does anything need to be done to the tires before the truck sits for 6 months?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna say no. Yeah. Nah.

A message from me and dan.

https://youtu.be/EsWIWH6-1dY

Thank you all it's been a hell of a ride.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
No, thank you.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

14 BAR RIFF posted:

"Tell them about the farts"

https://youtu.be/S4PYI6TzqYk (The first 5 seconds)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm getting so sweaty for next thread title

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Thank you for bringing us along on it!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have really enjoyed reading along with this and participating where I could, this has been absolutely fantastic.

Thank you everyone and I am really looking forward to next year.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

sharkytm posted:

No, thank you.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Does Dan sometimes do guest spots on This Old House?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

sharkytm posted:

No, thank you.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

angryrobots posted:

Does Dan sometimes do guest spots on This Old House?

I totally would if given the chance but I'll settle for This Old Truck.

Speaking of, the truck is fine right where it sits. There's still a happy ending in the future, I'm sure of it.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

This has been one absolutely magnificent ride. I look forward to part two and any adventures between now and then.

If you find yourself in the better part of the American southeast I will gladly put beer in you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Everyone is saying 2016 sucked but we got this thread, so year redeemed.
Have some traveling music, Dave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIl7d1VVwOc

• Locked thread