Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rush Limbo posted:

My sister surprised me with a belated Christmas/Birthday present today: A jokebook by Slavoj Zizek.

I had no idea such a thing existed, but this is easily one of the best presents I've ever been given.

Share with the class?

105: The atomic number of dubnium. Dubnium is commonly found in various Skrillex songs.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I've built Cornish hedges, I'm not sure what infrastructure could have made them better. Rocks and earth were at hand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Share with the class?
It's the Marxist way, after all.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Miftan posted:

Share with the class?

105: The atomic number of dubnium. Dubnium is commonly found in various Skrillex songs.

quote:

There is a nicely vulgar contemporary Bosnian joke about Beethoven’s popular piano piece “Für Elise” (“For Elisa”), making fun of the “enlightened” West European teachers sent to civilize “primitive” Bosnians. In a high school class on music history, a female teacher says that they will not deal with Beethoven in a traditional way, learning the facts, but more creatively: every pupil will mention an idea or image and then name a Beethoven piece that fits it. First, a shy girl says: “A beautiful green meadow in front of a forest, with a deer drinking water from a stream … Pastoral Symphony!” A boy follows her: “Revolutionary war, heroism, freedom … Eroica!” Finally, a Bosnian boy says: “A big, thick, strong, erect cock.” “What is this for?,” asks the annoyed teacher. “For Elisa!”

quote:

The crucial shift in the “negation of negation” is thus an unexpected change of the very terrain—this change undermines the position of the subject, involving him in the action in a new and much more direct way. Here is a nice case of such a change: at a local Communist Party meeting in Moscow, Petrov is delivering an interminable report. When he notices an obviously bored man in the first row, he asks him: “Hey, you, do you know who this Bulianoff I was just talking about is?” “No idea who he is,” answers the man, and Petrov snaps back: “You see, if you were to come to the party meetings more often and listen more carefully, you would have known who Bulianoff is!” The man snaps back: “But do you, Petrov, know who Andreyev is?” Petrov replies: “No, I don’t know any Andreyev.” The man calmly concludes: “If you were to attend the party meeting less often and listen more carefully to what is going on in your home, you would have known that Andreyev is the guy who is loving your wife while you are delivering your boring speeches!”

There's also about four in a row about Jesus. This is probably the best one:

quote:

Here is a nicely vulgar joke about Christ: the night before he was arrested and crucified, his followers started to worry—Christ was still a virgin; wouldn’t it be nice to have him experience a little bit of pleasure before he dies? So they asked Mary Magdalene to go to the tent where Christ was resting and seduce him; Mary said she would do it gladly and went in, but five minutes later, she ran out screaming, terrified and furious. The followers asked her what went wrong, and she explained: “I slowly undressed, spread my legs and showed Christ my pussy; he looked at it, said ‘What a terrible wound! It should be healed!’ and gently put his palm on it.”

So beware of people too intent on healing other people’s wounds—what if one enjoys one’s wound? In exactly the same way, directly healing the wound of colonialism (effectively returning to the precolonial reality) would have been a nightmare: if today’s Indians were to find themselves in precolonial reality, they would have undoubtedly uttered the same terrified scream as Mary Magdalene.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I know a dry stone waller.

that's something we have in common

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Perhaps it's the same guy - maybe you two even know each other!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Zizek jokes are like Zizek philosophy. Long, overly complicated and at the end of the day, nothing special.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Much like your posts.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

TinTower posted:

Much like your posts.

My posts aren't long. I thought you'd love that sort of stuff considering your Homestuck avatar?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rush Limbo posted:

hahaha this owns.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Short jokes are capitalistic decadence, comrade

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Short jokes are capitalistic decadence, comrade

Here's another Zinger:

quote:

In an old Slovene joke, a young schoolboy has to write a short composition with a title “There is only one mother!,” in which he is expected to illustrate, apropos a singular experience, the love that links him to his mother; here is what he writes: “One day I returned home earlier than expected, because the teacher was ill; I looked for my mother and found her naked in her bed with a man who was not my father. My mother angrily shouted at me: “What are you staring at like an idiot? Why don’t you run to the refrigerator and get us two cold beers!” I ran to the kitchen, opened the refrigerator, looked into it, and shouted back to the bedroom: “There is only one, mother!”

Is this not a supreme case of interpretation that just adds a punctuation mark that changes everything, as in the parody of the first words of Moby-Dick: “Call me, Ishmael!”? One can discern the same operation in Heidegger (the way he reads “Nothing is without reason (nihil est sine ratione),” by shifting the accent to “Nothing[ness] IS without reason”), or in the superego displacement of the prohibitive injunction of the symbolic law (from “Don’t kill!” to “Don’t!” … “Kill!”). However, one should risk a more detailed interpretation. The joke stages a Hamlet-like confrontation of the son with the enigma of mother’s excessive desire; in order to escape this deadlock, the mother as it were takes refuge in /the desire for/ an external partial object, the bottle of beer, destined to divert the son’s attention from the obscene Thing of her being caught naked in bed with a man—the message of this demand is: “You see, even if I am in bed with a man, my desire is for something else that you can bring me. I am not excluding you by getting completely caught in the circle of passion with this man!” The two bottles of beer /also/ stand for the elementary signifying dyad, like Lacan’s famous two restroom doors observed by two children from the train window in his “Instance of the letter in the unconscious”; from this perspective, the child’s repartee is to be read as rendering to the mother the elementary Lacanian lesson: “Sorry, mother, but there is ONLY ONE SIGNIFIER, for the man only, there is no binary signifier (for the woman), this signifier is ur-verdraengt, primordially repressed!” In short: you are caught naked, you are not covered by the signifier. And what of this is the fundamental message of monotheism? Not the reduction of the Other to the One, but, on the contrary, the acceptance of the fact that the binary signifier always-already lacks. This imbalance between the One and its “primordially repressed” counterpart is the radical difference, in contrast to the big cosmological couples (yin and yang, etc.) that can emerge only within the horizon of the undifferentiated One (tao, etc.). And are not even the attempts to introduce a balanced duality into the minor spheres of consummation, like the couple of small blue and red bags of artificial sweetener available everywhere in cafés, yet another desperate attempt to provide a symmetrical signifying couple for the sexual difference (blue “masculine” bags versus red “feminine” bags)? The point is not that sexual difference is the ultimate signified of all such couples, but rather that the proliferation of such couples displays an attempt to supplement the LACK of the founding binary signifying couple that would directly stand for sexual difference.

It's the way you tell 'em.

I guess this is not so much a joke book written by Zizek as a compilation of his jokes and their overly long interpretations from his other works.

Still good, though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The more exposure I get to Zizek the more I find him interminably boring.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Anybody know what the embargoed story from all the newspapers is?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

notaspy posted:

Queen's (Probably not) dead

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

notaspy posted:

NY Honours List, I think.

https://twitter.com/alexander_drake/status/814958003203866624

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Queen to step down in 2017, Charles to be Lord Protector and have existential crisis over his surname.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Rush Limbo posted:

Never thought I'd read a 'joke' where Epsteins Risen Christ would provide a better punchline.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Wow Ken Dodd is still alive.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pissflaps posted:

Wow Ken Dodd is still alive.

What about his dad's dog?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I just had a bizarre and terrifying dream in which Donald Trump fell off a step ladder during a publicity event and looked for one tantalising instant like he was going to break his neck, but instead somehow landed on his feet to uproarious applause. He then went on a world tour repeating this stunt to ever larger crowds. This, I think, is my brain's way of telling me not to sleep.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is still preferable to Trump falling and dying and then there is President Pence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TomViolence posted:

I just had a bizarre and terrifying dream in which Donald Trump fell off a step ladder during a publicity event and looked for one tantalising instant like he was going to break his neck, but instead somehow landed on his feet to uproarious applause. He then went on a world tour repeating this stunt to ever larger crowds. This, I think, is my brain's way of telling me not to sleep.

I mean statistically he'd probably die eventually if he did this and he can't govern while doing it, so this seems very optimisitc imo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Zizek is responsible for SMG and so I love him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

Zizek is responsible for SMG and so I love him.

In an ironic way, sure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TomViolence posted:

It'll be his version of Obama-smacking-a-fly-to-death-mid-interview.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

This is still preferable to Trump falling and dying and then there is President Pence.

At this point, all us queer people being exterminated is still a bearable cost to pay in exchange for the rest of the world continuing to exist.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Mister Adequate posted:

At this point, all us queer people being exterminated is still a bearable cost to pay in exchange for the rest of the world continuing to exist.

I'm slowly starting to realise absolutely nobody in that blight of a country is actually going to kill Trump/Pence/Ryan and we're all going to have to sit and watch and people will go "well you have to respect that you've lost" as if the abstract concept of democracy, on its own, is a virtue

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Spangly A posted:

I'm slowly starting to realise absolutely nobody in that blight of a country is actually going to kill Trump/Pence/Ryan and we're all going to have to sit and watch and people will go "well you have to respect that you've lost" as if the abstract concept of democracy, on its own, is a virtue

Perhaps left leaning liberals will start to understand that democracy is more than voting every five years and that obstructive and disruptive action is a totally legit way of.... hahaha can't finish that sentence, of course they won't.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sieving through pig poo poo, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig."

Pig poo poo is a reasonable fuel for anaerobic biogas generators too.

Guavanaut posted:

I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sieving through pig poo poo, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig."

Pig poo poo is a reasonable fuel for anaerobic biogas generators too.

hahaha just like that film

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Spangly A posted:

The worst thing is there's no shortage of guns and militias and there's even a tradition of armed revolt, but nearly all the guns and militias are in the hands of paranoid reactionaries and half the revolts have been against things like the abolition of slavery or school integration.

Bring back the panthers.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TomViolence posted:

The worst thing is there's no shortage of guns and militias and there's even a tradition of armed revolt, but nearly all the guns and militias are in the hands of paranoid reactionaries and half the revolts have been against things like the abolition of slavery or school integration.

Bring back the panthers.

I wish malcolm X was still alive because at least they'd have gun control, poor bastards

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Spangly A posted:

I think some kraut yid predicted this sort of poo poo.

We are living, materiasticaly in history.

It's about people and economics and the next loving riot.

There wil always be another riot.

Materialistic History Demands It.

I, myself love a good riot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A repeat of the last lot of riots going on for longer would be interesting.

What actually was the cause of those anyway? All I ever got from the news was "we have no idea why everyone is rioting except that they're delinquents and think it's fun" which seems an inadequate explanation especially as they stopped.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

OwlFancier posted:

What actually was the cause of those anyway? All I ever got from the news was "we have no idea why everyone is rioting except that they're delinquents and think it's fun" which seems an inadequate explanation especially as they stopped.

Authority.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

If you even start to think about why a thing happened you're saying everyone involved was not at all culpable for their actions, people choose not to choose not to do bad things so there's nothing anyone can ever do

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It was the police murdering Mark Duggen wasn't it?

Then everyone who was feeling pissed off about anything joined in. Then gangs joined in. it got rather undirected when the street gangs started burning things for the lols rather than any symbol of solidarity but I guess that is the nature of unrest.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Angepain posted:

If you even start to think about why a thing happened you're saying everyone involved was not at all culpable for their actions, people choose not to choose not to do bad things so there's nothing anyone can ever do

The cause of the fire was oxidation, pure and simple. To inquire any further is to make excuses for the flames.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Bobstar posted:

The cause of the fire was oxidation, pure and simple. To inquire any further is to make excuses for the flames.

Alternatively, the police shot a black man on the basis that 'on the balance of probability' he was carrying a gun, and despite that the gun was found far too far away for him to have thrown it, and the only person 'shot' with the gun was, in fact, shot by a fellow copper's pistol from an angle that suggests complete loving incompetence rather than any malice on Duggan's part, a predominantly white jury found the feckless pigs not guilty of doing something they shouldn't have done. Which more or less meant that killing black people is, in fact, the remit of the Metropolitan Police.

ACAB

Remember that in the last couple of dozen pages there's been talk about electoral fraud. Well, 'voter intimidation' is part of electoral fraud and although the police had a pretty heavy presence in Tower Hamlets during the Mayoral election that got Lutfur Rahman elected, it took a judicial enquiry to highlight that there were literally people harrassing potential voters as they approached the polling station to vote for Rahman. Basically, the police were in a position to know that electoral fraud was happening, and they did nothing.

ACAB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The thing that everybody keeps very quiet about when they talk about the 2011 riots is how the Met very deliberately did not even attempt to stop the looting at White City and Tottenham Hale on the Sunday. They had the manpower - easily outnumbering the looters 2 to 1 - and in full view of TV news cameras stood aside, letting the looters take their time like it was a shopping trip. That was one of the main catalysts of the really widespread breakdown on Monday and Tuesday, an outcome that should have been blatantly obvious because they were pretty much laying out a red carpet.

So there are only a couple of possible explanations for the way they acted on Sunday:

- They were trying a softly-softly approach to de-escalate things. Hahahahahahahahaha yeah right.
- They were spectacularly incompetent and literally didn't notice the DIY Boxing Day sales going on less than 100 yards from their massive line at Tottenham Hale and on telly at White City.
- They deliberately let things escalate because Cameron had just announced a pay freeze and funding cuts for Plod (proving he really hadn't learned anything from Mummy Thatcher who gave them a 30% pay rise before flying the economy into Mount Monetarism) and lovely juicy pictures of the city burning down would result in them getting a shitload more money.

I mean if you want to get really :tinfoil: about it you can point at the massive boost to personal approval that Boris got out of the whole thing - if you take "cui bono" as the starting point of your conspiracy theories BOZZA LEGERND definitely "won" the riots with all those lovely photo ops of him wielding a broom, not to mention all that water cannon bullshit.

• Locked thread