Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

The Keep has a whole bunch of little poo poo that literally doesn't even reflect any flag changes in game. The point of the Keep isn't to make plot changes and poo poo, it was to acknowledge the fact that someone signed up with/into Origin.
Importing a keep save really just provides nods and mentions and a cameo or two. And I guess if Alistair is a king or a dead person or whatever.

I REALLY don't think much noteworthy changes.

The Morrigan baby choice makes a difference. As does your Hawke choices + who'll be the Grey Warden in the Warden's quest. Beyond that... I can't think of much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The only major changes I can think of are the identity of the warden (Loghain, Stroud or Alistair), and whether Kieran exists or not.

E: Leliana dying in DA:O doesn't have a major change but it can get acknowledged in a pretty clever way.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
I got gifted Mass Effect 1 and 2 in November and making my way through the series because I hadn't played it since it's release. I don't have anything new to add, but was it jarring for anyone else how ugly the beginning of 3 is? I'm playing on pc and 1 and 2 mostly held up in that I wasn't distracted by its age. I feel like lots of games from that era used bloom excessively, but in 1 and 2 it works because it's a spaceman game and I totally bought it.

Loaded up 3 today, and I checked all three of the in game graphics settings multiple times to make sure everything was cranked up. Everything is washed out, the Ui is somehow worse, my character face looked terrible when I imported it, and even after fiddling it still looks like a texture not loading in completely. Like yeah, hair is no longer plastic caps, but everything else is bad. Or it could be my broken brain, fresh off of me2 the day before, rejecting the game out of hand, I don't know

Lurks Morington fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 31, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
All this talk about DAInq being boring as hell is making me not even want to try it. And I just got it dirt cheap on sale.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like to think that all the main character in DA:I is actually bald and all the hair choices are Trump Brand Wigs. It helps explain why everything looks plastic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

nerdz posted:

All this talk about DAInq being boring as hell is making me not even want to try it. And I just got it dirt cheap on sale.

If you are finding stuff boring then skip it. There are plenty of good vistas, character moments, and quests, they're just padded out by (generally optional) MMO-style collect-a-thons.

The more serious problem the game has is how loving terrible the tactics system, UI, controls and camera are. The are some potentially neat mechanics but actually controlling the party is so clunky that you're better off putting it on easy and steamrolling through.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you are finding stuff boring then skip it. There are plenty of good vistas, character moments, and quests, they're just padded out by (generally optional) MMO-style collect-a-thons.

The more serious problem the game has is how loving terrible the tactics system, UI, controls and camera are. The are some potentially neat mechanics but actually controlling the party is so clunky that you're better off putting it on easy and steamrolling through.

Even worse than origins? Because on that one I could at least turn off all AI and do my planning. It wasn't exactly ideal, though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

nerdz posted:

Even worse than origins? Because on that one I could at least turn off all AI and do my planning. It wasn't exactly ideal, though.

Origins had a better tactics system even cribbed from FF12. Inquisition is just not good at any level. Origins is the game to play if you want Dragon Age. Bin everything else.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Origins had a better tactics system even cribbed from FF12. Inquisition is just not good at any level. Origins is the game to play if you want Dragon Age. Bin everything else.

I really liked Origin's tactics system. Building characters that essentially won any fight for you without you having to do anything was an entertaining challenge. (The answer was always Mana Clash on the right trigger.) There were good things about the later DA games, but they weren't the combat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

nerdz posted:

Yeah, significantly worse. You can only set abilities to be used more or less frequently, which means if you want to do a combo you have to micromanage like hell or just hope. The overhead tactical view is poo poo, making it a pain to move characters around to dodge aoe or use the many, many positional abilities. Since abilities have no tooltips if you swap to a rarely used character mid-combat you will have no idea what anything does.

I think saying "Inquisition does nothing good" is a bit unfair, since it's pretty (which Origins never was), has a lot of fun characters and has some really interesting lore but it's got some big issues.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

nerdz posted:

I hope you like using chest farming exploits just to get crafting materials and the schematics to make an item. High quality crafting gameplay right there.

Really hoping ME:A doesn't go back to the ME1/DA:I randomised itemisation. ME2+3 is way better, or they could even look to Morrowind+Dark Souls to see how they can tie hand-placed items into the story/world.

CottonWolf posted:

I really liked Origin's tactics system. Building characters that essentially won any fight for you without you having to do anything was an entertaining challenge. (The answer was always Mana Clash on the right trigger.)

I thought Origin's tactics system was really poor design for exactly the same reason. You basically spend an hour scripting some lovely but kinda broken AI, and then game plays itself. It's the opposite of a challenge.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hampig posted:

I hope you like using chest farming exploits just to get crafting materials and the schematics to make an item. High quality crafting gameplay right there.
The crafting UI was so poo poo that it was better not to bother.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The crafting UI was so poo poo that it was better not to bother.

Crafting is poo poo in general and I don't understand why so many games have it nowadays.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That hot Minecraft money presumably? Suddenly it's the trendy feature and every game throws it in whether it makes sense or not.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
holy gently caress, where is the mouse look in this game?

also no camera panning in tactical mode, really? I wasn't prepared for this consolized garbage

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cythereal posted:

Crafting is poo poo in general and I don't understand why so many games have it nowadays.

I love crafting broken poo poo that looks just the way I want it.

But the crafting in Inquisition is much more fun if you somehow cheat yourself resources so you can go whole hog.

Play Inquisition more like a third person action game with tab targeting for your ranged abilities and pausing only to place AoEs while you listen to the characters banter or bicker and don't worry about the tactics side of things so much.

nerdz posted:

holy gently caress, where is the mouse look in this game?

hold the right button down to look around. It's not that hard once you get used to it.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
The best thing about Inquisitions crafting system by far is dying your entire party yellow plaid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Olaf The Stout posted:

The best thing about Inquisitions crafting system by far is dying your entire party yellow plaid.

marshmallow creep posted:

I love crafting broken poo poo that looks just the way I want it.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/814606946267492353/photo/1

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

hampig posted:

I thought Origin's tactics system was really poor design for exactly the same reason. You basically spend an hour scripting some lovely but kinda broken AI, and then game plays itself. It's the opposite of a challenge.

I too, prefer my AI companions to be brain-dead and contribute absolutely zero damage to any of my fights like DAI did.

Scripting at least lets you play like you're a skilled band of adventurers that get better over time. Whereas DAI feels like you got placed in LFG with every retard on the server.

Seriously, non-script AI is retarded in the Dragon Age series.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It's going to be a teaser trailer for something they're gonna show in February.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I was fighting some random mobs and the respawn is just so distracting, feels like a bad Korean MMO. Nothing like fighting a giant spider and having three more spawning on top of you.

Yep, uninstalling.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That happens in DAI? I thought that's only a DA2 thing. But they all meld together in my memory anyway.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lycus posted:

That happens in DAI? I thought that's only a DA2 thing. But they all meld together in my memory anyway.

Yep, I've had it happen after I'd clear a camp of bandits and a bear spawns right in front of me or another set of bandits spawn in.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lycus posted:

This can happen, but it's very rare. It's absolutely not like DA2, where this was the norm. In at least 95% of all fights you will only fight the enemies you see in the beginning. Except for the rifts, where respawning is part of the encounter design.

nerdz posted:

Wow, I was fighting some random mobs and the respawn is just so distracting, feels like a bad Korean MMO. Nothing like fighting a giant spider and having three more spawning on top of you.

Yep, uninstalling.

It's a shame. If you like the Dragon Age world, then Inquisition is a pretty good game. Just don't make the mistake to get too much into the useless MMO-like sidequests.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like perhaps DA: Inquisition would be a much better game if you had never heard of or seen an MMO ever before playing it.

It's the closest I've ever seen to a single player MMO.

Not sure about the KMMO comparison though. There was a decided lack of excessively bling armor for the inquisitor.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I feel like DAI would be a much better game if it was good.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Thor-Stryker posted:

I too, prefer my AI companions to be brain-dead and contribute absolutely zero damage to any of my fights like DAI did.

Alternatively just make them pretty much like Mass Effect companions who are fine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hampig posted:

Alternatively just make them pretty much like Mass Effect companions who are fine.

ME companions are fine because more of the damage comes from shooting, and because they've got far fewer powers to utilise. Dragon Age was always meant as a mechanically heavier game than Mass Effect, and while you could change that you might lose something in the process.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ME2 and 3 companions at least (not sure about 1) only deal what 20-30% Shepard's weapon damage? Thats probably what you're seeing more than anything else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Your party members in Inquisition are fine just doing their own thing 90% of the time. People try to get too fiddly with them like it's an actual tactical RPG and just make it worse for themselves. Cassandra and Blackwall are beasts, as are any Mages once you give them Barrier and order them to spam it while setting reserve mana to 0. Just never take Iron Bull to anything challenging, whose Reaver AI is completely useless. Also, this might not be immediately obvious, but Regeneration Potions are completely overpowered and you can outfit your entire party with them for cheap. They're great for the early moments in the game, which are the only parts that can be perceived as difficult.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 31, 2016

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

You know who is a good companion to run alongside Cassandra and Dorian? Sera

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My main party in my first playthrough was Sera, Vivienne, and Blackwall. The tension was real.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If there were a mod that allowed one creature to drop 5 or so of each item, and to reduce the number of "collect X many things to unlock door" then I'd probably play the game again.

The core gameplay (collecting things) is bad enough, however, that I never want to play it again, no matter how weaktempted I may be otherwise.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 31, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if bioware will continue their tradition of only ever bringing two companions in your party

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder if bioware will continue their tradition of only ever bringing two companions in your party

Yes, they have already shown footage to that effect.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Your party members in Inquisition are fine just doing their own thing 90% of the time.

For me the problem wasn't that they couldn't be left to their own devices but that they couldn't be trusted to prioritize properly or reliably set off combos and after playing DA2 where you could program them so well it was hard not to feel like you need to lead them by the hand.

Also, they changed how healing works and I'm just a stickler for keeping characters' health bars pristine if there's no auto-regen after the battle. Until building guard becomes trivial later on I was a bit of a mother hen trying to keep any of them from losing health.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

Yes, they have already shown footage to that effect.

Looking more and more like Bioware is playing it painfully safe with Andromeda.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cythereal posted:

Looking more and more like Bioware is playing it painfully safe with Andromeda.

two squadmates seems like an "if it ain't broke" situation though?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Sword Coast Legends of all games pulled off the "bring a couple friends but involve the whole crew" thing by giving you a magic cellphone that nonpresent party members could use to make observations and commentary as if they were right there with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
What really annoyed me in DAI was how I could only use a fraction of the available powers. I missed my giant power wheel full of options, it's part of why I like playing mages :(