Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm generally cool with some randomly generated dungeon time. Is it at least not worse than the ones in Persona 3/4?

I'm glad there are actual, designed dungeons in the main story, though.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is a slightly less terrible Tartarus

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can deal with that if there are "real" dungeons to break it up. And if the rest of the game is as cool and fun as it looks. Persona 4 got multiple playthroughs out of me so random dungeons clearly aren't a dealbreaker.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ouroboros 2 was a sign of things to come I guess. Man I was stuck on that fight forever. My demon mill strategy of constantly fusing new demons, using them enough to get their Sources and then ditching them, no longer seems viable. I need a team and a back-up team that can do more than exploit elemental weaknesses. I was totally hosed because of her constant barrage of status effects and my only remedy for them being items.

Apart from trying and failing to do the same thing over and over again, I did learn a few key bits of info. Don't buff or debuff more than 3 times or else the boss will reset everything. Also for future, make sure I have War Cry or something else to lower the boss' attack power. (that was how I finally won. I kept "buying" demons and fusing them randomly to see if I could get a useful creation. Finally I got one with War Cry and simply having that used once at the start of the fight made it so much more manageable)

But yeah, I need to be smarter about how I "craft" my demons and no more just randomly fusing them into something new because yay higher levels and stats. What good is this new demon with 32 Magic if it's Neutral and the rest of us are Law?

Speaking of alignments, apparently Chaos has more plot to it and also a far easier final boss. What a load of crap.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of SMTI, would you guys suggest me trying out I and II? I hear SMT2 brought up a decent amount given its age and the fact it was never officially localized.

And on that note, is the fan translation good?
There's an official iOS port of SMT 1 in English, if you happen to have Apple devices and like to play grindy old-school JRPGs on a touchscreen with a virtual controller.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

Ouroboros 2 was a sign of things to come I guess. Man I was stuck on that fight forever. My demon mill strategy of constantly fusing new demons, using them enough to get their Sources and then ditching them, no longer seems viable. I need a team and a back-up team that can do more than exploit elemental weaknesses. I was totally hosed because of her constant barrage of status effects and my only remedy for them being items.

The thing about SJ is that it handles mechanics in a strange and stupid way. A lot of weaknesses exist exclusively for you, the player, to utilise to get Co-Ops for extra damage. The game hands you demons you will never encounter in the wild with weaknesses that are completely irrelevant. Mayahuel is "weak" to Physical, for example... but takes 50% damage from it (he also gives the secret best Source). For the most part, a weakness... on your demons... is completely irrelevant if it's not an Instant Death one, or maybe an ailment, because they tie into a mechanic that only exists for the player.

Whether a thing is on-paper Weak, Neutral, Resistant to an element ir sort of is a trap for this reason; Weak at least serves a purpose but the others can all be horribly misleading. Hell, even Drain and Reflect can be in some very specific circumstances; Mitra (the Bootes boss) being my go-to example there. If you fuse him and improve his Ice resistance above Null, it... is a waste of time. He has a 0% damage modifier on Ice by default, so he'll Drain 1 HP or Reflect 1 point of damage. He's also the only demon that does this.

Point here is that Strange Journey wants you to use Demon Co-Ops. It bends over backwards to make this as easy as possible. It gives you an extensive tutorial (for this series) at the beginning about how to do it and why you should. Strange Journey is not balanced around using Demon Co-Ops.

Or, well, basic mechanics in general. Using demons as a mill for Sources and nothing else works perfectly fine if you actually use the Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS8ofecx_5M
(I have an even better example than this from later in the game, but that one's a spoiler as far as you're concerned)

Also if your only healing source is items, that's a good thing. You don't ever really need healing skills, of any variety, on a demon because items flatout do the same thing but earlier and better. The best use for your MC is to just not really care about what weapons he has after a certain point (Carina) and just use him as an item mule. Demons do damage better. He does healing better.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Has there been a game that would let me use Chemtrail, Mara, and Demonica Jack at the same time?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Dragonatrix posted:

The thing about SJ is that it handles mechanics in a strange and stupid way. A lot of weaknesses exist exclusively for you, the player, to utilise to get Co-Ops for extra damage. The game hands you demons you will never encounter in the wild with weaknesses that are completely irrelevant. Mayahuel is "weak" to Physical, for example... but takes 50% damage from it (he also gives the secret best Source). For the most part, a weakness... on your demons... is completely irrelevant if it's not an Instant Death one, or maybe an ailment, because they tie into a mechanic that only exists for the player.

Whether a thing is on-paper Weak, Neutral, Resistant to an element ir sort of is a trap for this reason; Weak at least serves a purpose but the others can all be horribly misleading. Hell, even Drain and Reflect can be in some very specific circumstances; Mitra (the Bootes boss) being my go-to example there. If you fuse him and improve his Ice resistance above Null, it... is a waste of time. He has a 0% damage modifier on Ice by default, so he'll Drain 1 HP or Reflect 1 point of damage. He's also the only demon that does this.

Point here is that Strange Journey wants you to use Demon Co-Ops. It bends over backwards to make this as easy as possible. It gives you an extensive tutorial (for this series) at the beginning about how to do it and why you should. Strange Journey is not balanced around using Demon Co-Ops.

Or, well, basic mechanics in general. Using demons as a mill for Sources and nothing else works perfectly fine if you actually use the Source:

(I have an even better example than this from later in the game, but that one's a spoiler as far as you're concerned)

Also if your only healing source is items, that's a good thing. You don't ever really need healing skills, of any variety, on a demon because items flatout do the same thing but earlier and better. The best use for your MC is to just not really care about what weapons he has after a certain point (Carina) and just use him as an item mule. Demons do damage better. He does healing better.

won't lie, I'm starting to feel like playing Strange Journey again and I'm not sure if that's your intention.

Also who actually uses Sources and not just horde them for the future.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

You certainly wouldn't be the first person I'd accidentally talked into doing that, and I would be surprised if it was the last. I can't say I would ever directly recommend it over many other things, but it's certainly worth your time more than, say, IV could ever pretend to be.

I can just write about it a lot because it's on the forefront of my mind right now for... some reason I can't quite put my finger on. Give it a few months and I'm sure I'll be much less able to be so "persuasive" about it. :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

NikkolasKing posted:

Very informative, thank you. I had of course already picked up on the Sins theme(although I honestly had no clue what D was until now)

I think a massive landfill is pretty good as far as a reference to humanities' sloth goes.

NikkolasKing posted:

Ouroboros 2 was a sign of things to come I guess. Man I was stuck on that fight forever.

You didn't believe us. Why didn't you believe us?

I certainly feel like that's the point in the game where they decide they're done playing fair. The sequence in F is especially amusing with respect to this (although those bosses aren't that hard).

What worries me about my theory is that that means the developers thought that teleport maze was 'fair'.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Well until such time as I have an easy supply of whatever item heals the entire party for full, I will probably have to stick to demons for healing. Ouroboros was such a bitch because she did nothing but attacks that hit my whole party. I was trying to use my party mainly for damage but there was no way I could heal and take off status effects with just items.

I'm just about to attack the Jack's Squad HQ and so far Sector F has been a joke so I have several new Sources to choose from. One of them even had Luster Candy on it and I've heard it's pretty much the best ability in the game. Or one of them.

Tired Moritz posted:

won't lie, I'm starting to feel like playing Strange Journey again and I'm not sure if that's your intention.

Also who actually uses Sources and not just horde them for the future.

Yep, I am just stockpiling Sources for when I need them. If I run into a really hard boss again which I'm sure I will, I'll hopefully have all the tools I need to defeat them.

DalaranJ posted:

I think a massive landfill is pretty good as far as a reference to humanities' sloth goes.

You didn't believe us. Why didn't you believe us?

I certainly feel like that's the point in the game where they decide they're done playing fair. The sequence in F is especially amusing with respect to this (although those bosses aren't that hard).

What worries me about my theory is that that means the developers thought that teleport maze was 'fair'.

The teleporter puzzle wasn't so bad. I mean, it was bad, but I blundered my way through it in no time. I guess I'm just lucky.

And yep, I am trying to get ready for a long, frustrating road ahead as I delve into this series.I actually have been told SJ is on the easy side when it comes to SMT titles. What is the hardest? Nocturne or something? No wait, I think it was DDS1 that was supposed to have the most legendarily bullshit superboss in JRPG history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

And yep, I am trying to get ready for a long, frustrating road ahead as I delve into this series.I actually have been told SJ is on the easy side when it comes to SMT titles. What is the hardest? Nocturne or something? No wait, I think it was DDS1 that was supposed to have the most legendarily bullshit superboss in JRPG history.

"Hard" depends a lot. Nocturne is challenging enough if you're going in completely blind but if you go in with advanced knowledge it's fairly easy to shatter over your knee. Most SMT games are like that in that they're hard if you don't know SMT and easy if you do know SMT.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Well until such time as I have an easy supply of whatever item heals the entire party for full, I will probably have to stick to demons for healing.

Normal Beads you can buy from Carina, and they're a full HP heal already. And items always go first (second if someone's guarding, which is yet again a player only mechanic). Bead Chains you'll be able to buy from midway through Fornax. Soma and their upgraded version you won't ever get an easy supply of.

Amrita Showers? Eh, you can buy them easy later, sure, but you'll never need them. Amrita Soda alone is overkill. Normal ailment cure items do the job sufficiently and keeping 99 of them on hand is complete child's play if that's what you care about.

As far as healing goes, Items do everything a demon can but cheaper, earlier and without a risk of the healer or the MC dying before they can go off.

E; If you're worried about him getting inflicted with terrifyingly bad ailments, give him a Supple Ring. You can buy one from Irving as of Eridanus. It grants immunity to Petrification. That's the only ailment that's a threat on the MC because it's instant death. Charm is not a big deal, because for him he just does his basic sword attack. Which is terrible, even with the best weapon and max Strength.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 31, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

ImpAtom posted:

"Hard" depends a lot. Nocturne is challenging enough if you're going in completely blind but if you go in with advanced knowledge it's fairly easy to shatter over your knee. Most SMT games are like that in that they're hard if you don't know SMT and easy if you do know SMT.

That's what makes them cool, they are puzzle difficult, instead of like tedious difficult.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Normal Beads you can buy from Carina, and they're a full HP heal already. And items always go first (second if someone's guarding, which is yet again a player only mechanic). Bead Chains you'll be able to buy from midway through Fornax. Soma and their upgraded version you won't ever get an easy supply of.

Amrita Showers? Eh, you can buy them easy later, sure, but you'll never need them. Amrita Soda alone is overkill. Normal ailment cure items do the job sufficiently and keeping 99 of them on hand is complete child's play if that's what you care about.

As far as healing goes, Items do everything a demon can but cheaper, earlier and without a risk of the healer or the MC dying before they can go off.

E; If you're worried about him getting inflicted with terrifyingly bad ailments, give him a Supple Ring. You can buy one from Irving as of Eridanus. It grants immunity to Petrification. That's the only ailment that's a threat on the MC because it's instant death. Charm is not a big deal, because for him he just does his basic sword attack. Which is terrible, even with the best weapon and max Strength.

I have that ring. I had to use it for Ouroboros.

I have plenty of Beads, I haven't looked to see if I have Bead Chains to buy yet. If I do, that'll help.

Still, I wish there was a way to protect my monsters from status effects too. As I said, the problem with items was I was stuck doing one thing ata time. So for example in one of my many loses to Ourobors, one of my demons was Muted, and the other two were Stoned. I could only cure one of them at a time. That was a turn or two or three without healing and just letting her wail on me.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/p5cezaria/status/815202502383517698

https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/815214697133678592

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

how's physical in Apocalypse and is it still governed by dex

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ruggington posted:

STR is good now.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

Strength for physical, Dex for guns, magic is magic. Any of the three can work since long term you get a Pierce passive skill.

I went magic since I had gone Dex for gun/phys in SMT4 but nothing I ran across indicated that a proper strength build would be especially problematic.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
it's better to have chaos as your first ending in smt: sj, right?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tired Moritz posted:

it's better to have chaos as your first ending in smt: sj, right?

I went neutral and didn't regret it. But I tend to pick one ending to aim for then watch any others I'm interested in on YouTube after I've finished.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Bogart posted:

Has there been a game that would let me use Chemtrail, Mara, and Demonica Jack at the same time?

pretty sure all of them are in smt4.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ugh but then I'd have to play 4 :negative:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
SMTIV did nothing wrong

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SMT IV and Final are both good and fun.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

SmT 4 is on my poo poo list because of nintendo not because of it.

3ds have been sold out withing 250 miles of me since mid november.

Now this would be normal If i were like in middle america.

I like in New York.
We have a Nintendo Store.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SectumSempra posted:

I like in New York.

Like... all of them? I know the $99 version was really hard to find but the others are usually all over the place

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Tired Moritz posted:

SMTIV did nothing wrong
SMT 4 got the concept of a difficulty curve very wrong,

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
SMT4 was a good game with some real design hurdles. Apocalypse owned in no small part because they fixed many of those problems.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

SectumSempra posted:

I like in New York.

Just order one online, there should be lots of them on sale on Amazon or eBay

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Pureauthor posted:

I picked it back up over the holidays and I'm enjoying it, but yeah, it has a very weird progression. It was hard until it wasn't, and then my tactic of 'nuke everything with magic all the time' worked wonders, up until I hit the brick wall of Kenji, which was still easily broken through once I refused my demons to deal with it.

Still looking forward to beating it and moving on to Apocalypse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tortolia posted:

SMT4 was a good game with some real design hurdles. Apocalypse owned in no small part because they fixed many of those problems.

I really enjoyed IV, but it definitely became boringly easy from like the halfway point onward. If Apocalypse has a better curve then I'm excited to play it one day.

Story-wise, how does Apocalypse connect to IV? Does it assume a canon ending to IV?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Harrow posted:

I really enjoyed IV, but it definitely became boringly easy from like the halfway point onward. If Apocalypse has a better curve then I'm excited to play it one day.

Story-wise, how does Apocalypse connect to IV? Does it assume a canon ending to IV?

Sorta. Apocalypse is a kind of alternate path that picks up a little after the start of the Neutral ending route in SMTIV and takes it in a different direction.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Harrow posted:

It takes place right before the neutral ending kicks off and cuts it off before it completes.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Just order one online, there should be lots of them on sale on Amazon or eBay

Check right now.

I'm not paying 300 bucks.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Like... all of them? I know the $99 version was really hard to find but the others are usually all over the place

Yes all of them.

Game Stop, Toys r us, best buy, even k mart, no one goes there.

There have been a few articles on game sites about it too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pureauthor posted:

Yes it's an SMT game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SectumSempra posted:

Yes all of them.

Game Stop, Toys r us, best buy, even k mart, no one goes there.

There have been a few articles on game sites about it too.

Have you already tried the nintendo store? https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat200014

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I didn't wan't a refurbished one, I've seen it. It may be my only choice.

I just wanted the 100 buck 3ds and to call it a day. (didn't want 2ds because i wanted to slip it in my pocket for train rides.)

And i'm starting to wonder if the switch will be able to play 3ds games or something at this point or if nintendo really thinks false scarcity during the holiday season is still a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

SectumSempra posted:

I didn't wan't a refurbished one, I've seen it. It may be my only choice.

I just wanted the 100 buck 3ds and to call it a day. (didn't want 2ds because i wanted to slip it in my pocket for train rides.)

And i'm starting to wonder if the switch will be able to play 3ds games or something at this point or if nintendo really thinks false scarcity during the holiday season is still a good idea.

It wasn't false scarcity, they really underestimated how many people were going to buy 3dses for Pokemon sun/moon and supply chains have a lag time that's too slow for them to restock up to the demand between Black Friday and Christmas