Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I hope that when Vader eventually meets Ashoka in the movies he just does his move and goes "More like A-Choke-a, heh" to her body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That was going to be an official Star Wars series, they started work on it in 2010 and actually got 39 episodes completed but then George Lucas sold the Star Wars franchise to Disney in 2012 and the show was quietly cancelled soon after.
Holy poo poo that was intolerable. Cancellation was the best thing that could have happened to it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TetsuoTW posted:

Holy poo poo that was intolerable. Cancellation was the best thing that could have happened to it.

This. I don't think I ever have been happier about a series getting cancelled. I don't loathe the people involved, that is just a thing that should have never been more than a failed pitch.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm don't doubt that it was deliberate, I'm just not impressed by the film's need to make its antagonists simultaneously overwhelmingly strong but also degenerate and pathetic. :v:

The Force Awakens looks to be going in a slightly different direction than the old series. Kylo Ren and his merry band of wanna be imperialists are neo-nazi's to Palps and Vader's OG evil. It's an examination of a group who saw the evil that was the Empire and said, "That looks pretty neat, I wanna get in on that!"

I haven't seen Rogue One yet so I can't comment on their retconing of either Vader or Tarken.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gyges posted:

I haven't seen Rogue One yet so I can't comment on their retconing of either Vader or Tarken.

Vader's barely in the movie, and he doesn't do much besides choke an overly ambitious underling and slaughter Rebels.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Cythereal posted:

Vader's barely in the movie, and he doesn't do much besides choke an overly ambitious underling and slaughter Rebels.

So his day job?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope that when Vader eventually meets Ashoka in the movies he just does his move and goes "More like A-Choke-a, heh" to her body.

"We've been friends for a long time Snips, but I know at least I won't get choked up."

"You ran around the whole galaxy, but looks like I've finally put the squeeze on you."

"You got pretty good at fighting with two lightsabers. But check out my new style: ONE windpipe."

"You'll find that defeating me is certainly not a wheeze."

"The writers are strong with you my toyetic padawan, but the nuts n' gum demographic has sealed your fate."

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Cythereal posted:

Seeing Vader in action again was so amazing. All I had really wanted from Revenge of the Sith was to see fully suited Vader loving poo poo up, so it was great to see it in Rogue One. The whole operation almost fell apart at the last second!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Didn't he already kill her?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think she's in the Rebels series.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

greatn posted:

I think she's in the Rebels series.

I know, and she traps herself with him in a fight to buy time/not "abandon" him, a fight he limps out of and she does not

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

I know, and she traps herself with him in a fight to buy time/not "abandon" him, a fight he limps out of and she does not

In other words she's guaranteed to have survived

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's a flash of her meditating in the ending montage of that episode which is either a Force vision of her being alive, or a Force vision of her being dead

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rough Lobster posted:

Seeing Vader in action again was so amazing. All I had really wanted from Revenge of the Sith was to see fully suited Vader loving poo poo up, so it was great to see it in Rogue One. The whole operation almost fell apart at the last second!

The Star Wars Rebels cartoon series has some great Vader moments. They use him very sparingly and when he turns up he's an unstoppable monster that is way more powerful than the main characters. Here's a clip.
James Earl Jones also sounded a lot better than he did in Rogue One. :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Star Wars Rebels cartoon series has some great Vader moments. They use him very sparingly and when he turns up he's an unstoppable monster that is way more powerful than the main characters. Here's a clip.

Haha oh my god this is AWFUL.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

*Vader grabs Manbun by the wrists and foists him off the ground*
Vader: there is nothing that can save you now, Jedi....
Manbun: We've been.... renewed... for another season!
Vader: Bah!
*Vader throws him away*

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Still angry that Luke wasn't rockin' a manbun at the end of Force Awakens.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Drifter posted:

Haha oh my god this is AWFUL.

Rebels is worse than the holiday special. I can't even comprehend what they were going for but the results are ugly as poo poo.

Only good thing is Vader raising his arms above his head.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Cinematic Trailers for Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO still remain, to this day, the most badass thing about Star Wars. It's significantly better than any of the shows or movies. I would be a huge Star Wars fan if any of the movies were like those trailers.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The Cinematic Trailers for Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO still remain, to this day, the most badass thing about Star Wars. It's significantly better than any of the shows or movies. I would be a huge Star Wars fan if any of the movies were like those trailers.

Those loving blow chunks, dude.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You straight trippin, B

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Star Wars stripped of all context and characterization, down to pure action scenes with hundreds of lightsabers. Star Wars for the videogame generation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Star Wars stripped of all context and characterization, down to pure action scenes with hundreds of lightsabers. Star Wars for the videogame generation.

Complete with "Duel of the Fates." And I thought the Star Trek fanfilms were bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cardboard Box A posted:

So Attack of the Clones.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cardboard Box A posted:

I mean, this is every star wars after the original 3, up to and including this latest release.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know dude you'd have to be pretty blind to miss the characterization and context in the prequels. You may not like them but they're there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

I don't know dude you'd have to be pretty blind to miss the characterization and context in the prequels. You may not like them but they're there.

The greatest and perhaps only sin of the prequels is simply taking fantastic ideas and rendering them with a note of blandness.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's all a little flat, yeah.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ahem *peers out from under space fedora* Guess who's got the fastest ship in the sector? :smuggo:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Probably the empire. If I were the empire I'd definitely have the fastest ship.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burkion posted:

The greatest and perhaps only sin of the prequels is simply taking fantastic ideas and rendering them with a note of blandness.

Awful scripts and actors with zero charisma do not help.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rogue One takes much of the message of the prequels (and the OT for that matter) and condenses it into one film. I'm looking forward to watching RO and ANH back to back once RO is out on home video; I expect RO will make the end of ANH that much more powerful.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'll have to disagree with you. I think the actors were charismatic, but lacked chemistry with one another, except for Anakin and Obi Wan, and Padme and Qui Gonn. The scripts have a lot of good stuff in them that people completely ignore because they weren't looking for it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Burkion posted:

No the greatest sin is setting up Anakin and Padme's love as the root cause of the fall of the Republic...then utterly failing to deliver on that romance. Anakin-Padme is meant to be the heart of the prequel trilogy, and since it fails, so does the whole trilogy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jng2058 posted:

No the greatest sin is setting up Anakin and Padme's love as the root cause of the fall of the Republic...then utterly failing to deliver on that romance. Anakin-Padme is meant to be the heart of the prequel trilogy, and since it fails, so does the whole trilogy.

If you think that was the root cause of the fall of the republic you weren't paying any attention to the movies. The root cause of the fall of the republic was stagnation, hubris, and dogma.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jng2058 posted:

That's part of what I mean though

It has all of these great ideas and elements and concepts

And then it just kinda doesn't do anything with them ever. They are there, you can recognize what they are and how they work, they just aren't gone into with the energy and strength they needed to work. You could take what was there and remake those movies beat for beat and make all time classics, using the same actors and what not

But that's hindsight and what second drafts are for. The prequels suffer heavily from being the first draft of a really good idea.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

greatn posted:

If you think that was the root cause of the fall of the republic you weren't paying any attention to the movies. The root cause of the fall of the republic was stagnation, hubris, and dogma.

This is pretty accurate, Anakin and Padme's love wouldn't have caused poo poo if the Jedi were even slightly flexible with their codes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still don't understand why Senators were forbidden to love.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Stop talking about Star Wars in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy Goodbody posted:

I still don't understand why Senators were forbidden to love.

Because George Lucas is sterile. He plays a senator that has fathered several children:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Notluwiski_Papanoida

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 31, 2016

• Locked thread