Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

Just had a friend tell me he went into Rogue One expecting some kind of light hearted space romp for the Death Star plans and was blown away that it ended in the main cast dying and incredibly entertained by its darker tone.

I went with a friend who is not a Star Wars fan- he's seen Episodes IV, V, TFA, and parts of a couple of the prequels- and he was really confused by what was going on in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ungulateman posted:

Yeah the death star being a giant lightsaber is a fuckin amazing metaphor ("The rebelling systems will fall in line before the force of our jedi order death star").

It does raise an interesting question about why it's green, though. Evil lightsabers are red, good lightsabers are blue. Purple lightsabers tread the line in between, but green lightsabers seem to exist outside of this dichotomy entirely.

Is a green laser the diegetic result from shoving crystals into a machine without any conception of the Force as being Light/Dark (presuming the engineers who built the laser don't believe in the Force at all)? Because that raises some super interesting questions about the characters we see with green sabers (the relevant ones being Qui-Gon, Yoda, and ROTJ Luke). And it raises EVEN MORE interesting questions about the meaning of the Death Star, if it's 'Beyond Good and Evil' (or at least 'Jedi and Sith', which in a way it already was).

It also makes Starkiller Base even more explicitly 'THIS IS A DEATH STAR' because it's eating suns for the same power source that the Death Star used (rather than being some sort of weird eco-terrorist 'solar-powered' metaphor or something).

e: actually, now that i think about it, red/blue/green make up the colours of light, so green lightsabers metaphorically exist outside of the dichotomy of the Jedi and Sith by being part of the same spectrum, but separate from the more morally loaded colours.

The spacecraft of the republic all fired green lasers, while the spacecraft of the dangerous extremists and insurrectionists who opposed them all fired red lasers. That's been true for episodes 1 through 6.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ungulateman posted:

In ANH and ESB, when the conflict is at least ostensibly 'good vs evil', it's a clash of blue and red sabers. Of course, this conflict isn't truly good and evil - it's Jedi and Sith, the PT shows us the Jedi as an institution are pretty lovely, and ROTJ shows us the real Light Side of the Force is to cast aside our lightsabers entirely.

More to the point, green being morally "good" and blue being "neutral" contradicts a lot of powerful imagery, unless you're going for a full-on fascist reading where the Empire are the good guys because the Death Star shoots "good" lasers. Obi-Wan is blatantly partisan in favour of the Republic and the Jedi Order in all six films and Mace Windu's purple blade is representative of his walking the precipice between Jedi orthodoxy and Sith orthodoxy (and that obviously is reliant on purple being red and blue mixed together).

Compare to the green saber-wielders - Qui-Gon, who's the apprentice of a Sith Lord but understands the will of the Force better than any of the Jedi Order. Yoda, who falls under the sway of the Dark Side at the end of AOTC, but realises his errors and retreats to Dagobah to meditate on the real purpose of the Jedi. And Luke in ROTJ, who has let go of Anakin's lightsaber, built his own destiny, and (depending on interpretation) redeems himself, Darth Vader, brings balance to the Force, and/or destroys the entire dichotomy of 'Light Side'/'Dark Side'.

e: it's telling that TFA features a lot of contrasting red and blue but almost no green - the characters have reverted to a pre-ROTJ conception of the Force being 'good' and 'evil', failed to learn the lessons of either Luke or Darth Vader, and are reaching back to a past that can't be recreated (either the Republic, which we see consumed by a red(!) hand, or the Empire, whose remnants are ruled by a loving giant ghost).

Thanks for the explanation. It's an interesting take on laser colors, but I can't help but think you're reading way too much into it. Luke's saber in RotJ was made green in post-production because they realized that you couldn't see a blue blade against the bright clear sky. Windu's was purple because Samuel L. Jackson asked George Lucas for it as a favor. Electrostaffs aren't exactly lasers, but their lightning is purple too. TIEs and the Death Star fire green lasers, rebel fighters and cannons shoot red. Proton torpedoes are reddish. Everyone's blaster shoots red bolts, at least until the prequels when more colors came in. FTA even prominently featured a blue bolt. Trying to read meaning into all this, beyond the obvious "the evil guys sure seem to like red sabers, possibly because they look badass", strikes me as a kind of pareidolia for symbolism.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Depending on IFF to tell you good from evil seems unwise.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Something being done for a certain practical reason doesn't invalidate other symbolic interpretations. The only reason Alderaan blows up in the original is that it was getting too expensive to do the original "cloud fortress" concept they had for Leia's prison, so now she's on the Death Star.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Another thing i liked: Ships coming into focus out of shadows and coming into reality out of hyperspace.

Also: the visual mirror of the communication dish at the end to the indent of the death star at the beginning.

also also: The guardian of the whills staff looked like (was?) a unlit light saber

also also: Krennic was a science officer who was usurped by the navy. Shows that the Empire is crumbling from within by eating its own,

Saw and Jyn died exactly the same way.

The death star plans were only communicated by belief and hope.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jack Gladney posted:

Unless your movie is very gay, it's hard to have romance in an ensemble adventure story when all but one character is a man (Carrie Fisher is in like two scenes). The other star wars sequels have this problem too, insofar as Luke Skywalker is a sexless eunuch once Leia and Han pair off in Empire.

At no point did either character dress like a dominatrix and stoke up the log fire in order to tell the other that they really shouldn't be together, it would be so bad, so wrong... it's forbidden...

Not my Star Wars.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

sassassin posted:

At no point did either character dress like a dominatrix and stoke up the log fire in order to tell the other that they really shouldn't be together, it would be so bad, so wrong... it's forbidden...

Not my Star Wars.

Don't forget the ion cannon telling the star destroyer that it would be good for its hull.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
That Star Destroyer was asking for it. That slut.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sassassin posted:

Not my Star Wars.

Jesus Christ, I've only seen Episode I and some parts of the other two. What the gently caress did I miss? I saw Natalie Portman in like a Dale Arden ripped-midriff onesie fighting a space spider, plus the "sand gets in your crack and all over your balls and it's itchy" speech that comes up all the time.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There's this scene where she and Anakin are talking in her lounge parlor or w/e and she's wearing this extremely tight black leather dress that squishes her boobs together with this strap that goes up around the neck and after we saw Episode II my friends and I were joking about how George Lucas personally designed that outfit wheezing "ohhh yes all for Lucas, all for Lucas..."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems like he was a huge perv, raised on all that science fiction written by sleazy pervs. Why else would it just seem natural for jabba the hutt to keep Carrie Fisher tied up as some kind of SM concubine? They're not even the same species--he doesn't even have a body plan organized around bilateral symmetry.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
George Lucas was a pretty massive sexist prick to Carrie Fisher. He has a history of being a really gross pervert to young women. And while this doesn't excuse his behavior, this is common place in Hollywood and considered normal. Female actresses can't make it in this industry if they don't just deal with it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I said come in! posted:

George Lucas was a pretty massive sexist prick to Carrie Fisher. He has a history of being a really gross pervert to young women. And while this doesn't excuse his behavior, this is common place in Hollywood and considered normal. Female actresses can't make it in this industry if they don't just deal with it.

Perverts make the best movies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Star Wars is a movie about sexual awakenings, if people's parts aren't showing and there aren't giant toothy vaginas flowering in the middle of the desert (planet) someone has failed at their job.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

He seems like he was a huge perv, raised on all that science fiction written by sleazy pervs. Why else would it just seem natural for jabba the hutt to keep Carrie Fisher tied up as some kind of SM concubine? They're not even the same species--he doesn't even have a body plan organized around bilateral symmetry.

IDK, when I saw it I just assumed it was a power/ego thing.

Yeah, a gold plated AK-47 makes no sense either, but rich dudes hang them up behind their desks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

There's this scene where she and Anakin are talking in her lounge parlor or w/e and she's wearing this extremely tight black leather dress that squishes her boobs together with this strap that goes up around the neck and after we saw Episode II my friends and I were joking about how George Lucas personally designed that outfit wheezing "ohhh yes all for Lucas, all for Lucas..."

I like to think that Lucas does the same thing with his neck waddle that Boss Nass does.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Knowing Lucas, it's almost certainly a reference to some skeevy as hell serial from the 30s-50s. It's a baldly sexist image, which is why one of the most unequivocally Bad Dudes in the entire series is the one doing it.

The overall design of 'princess chained to a monster' makes me think of the myth of Perseus, and Andromeda's punishment for her mother's arrogance. This probably is me reading too deeply for once, but in a roundabout way, Padme and the Republic's blithe ignorance of the suffering of Tatooine comes around and punishes her daughter.

I'm trying to make relevant comparisons between Perseus and Han Solo but apart from 'fought something that could turn them into stone' there isn't that much (and one of them actually fails to not be turned into stone, so).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Dog posted:

It's exactly where Vader would spend his furloughs, just hanging out with his goofy spiritual advisers and getting pissed at Obi-Wan and the entire universe every time he looks out the window. Or viewscreen I guess since there are no windows.

I was super super super happy they did this because I mean OF COURSE Vader would live here. I understand why they didn't roll with it for Empire Strikes Back but I'm so glad it's now cannon. Only thing it's missing from the original idea is that he had a pair of ***PET DRAGONS*** he was feeding/chatting with prior to when he's informed they lost the Falcon again like think of how different sci-fi flicks in general would have been if Star Wars kept pure fantasy kind of stuff like that intact at the time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Apparently, Palpatine makes him live on Mustafar.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Powered Descent posted:

Out of curiosity, how did you decide that blue was the morally-loaded "good" color and green the "neutral"? The Jedi seemed to use them in about equal numbers.

In a world where only the OT exists this is pretty reasonable. In ANH he basically learns the Obi-Wan is the real deal/etc. about the Jedi, then in ESB he learns a ton of new information about the force and the Jedi, both during his couple of months training with Yoda and almost just as much during his few minutes of time with Vader.

I took green as being neutral or balanced or whatever years ago because when Luke first appears in Return of the Jedi it's deliberately mysterious and blurred. He embodies the trinity or something. Kenobi, Vader, and Yoda each have an iconic "actually, not only is the force real but it's actually pretty strong since I just made this happen with my mind" moment throughout ANH and ESB. Obi-Wan's mind control, Vader's force choke, and Yoda's heavy duty levitation. When Luke first appears in Return of the Jedi, all in the span of like fifteen seconds he effortlessly raises Jabba's big door, force chokes a guard, and mind controls Jabba's maitre d. At that moment in the setting we know he's the real deal because he's not fully committed to the Jedi or the dark side's preconceived notions of what is right because he's influenced by both. So like in a mostly OT only world green = neutral seemed reasonable.

Bongo Bill posted:

Apparently, Palpatine makes him live on Mustafar.

hosed up. I'm assuming he basically spends all his time angry and meditating there except for brief emergency moments where the Emperor wants him to personally wipe out one or two Jedi that are discovered. That and how we see him in Rogue One definitely explains his reputation, in the past 30 years most people have probably only ever seen him as suddenly pops up, completely destroys some dudes, and then vanishes.

I love what a chump the captain of the Tantive IV is now though, like no wonder Vader was pissed as gently caress when he was still going "It's uh it's a diplomatic mission really!!!!" :haw:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 1, 2017

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It's strange how some of the tech in Star Wars, supposedly being thousands of years in the future, now appears very dated.
Just going off what I remember seeing in Rogue One, the Empire stores a database of their most important records in essentially loving floppy disks with no redundancy and transmits signals from their main records database with radio waves. I guess the Empire had to run on a tight budget while building the Death Star. I understand that Star Wars has always been more fantasy than sci-fi, but it's strange to see a modern sci-fi movie that has no awareness of modern technology.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Star Wars technology is unlike real-world technology.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ungulateman posted:

Yeah the death star being a giant lightsaber is a fuckin amazing metaphor ("The rebelling systems will fall in line before the force of our jedi order death star").

It does raise an interesting question about why it's green, though. Evil lightsabers are red, good lightsabers are blue. Purple lightsabers tread the line in between, but green lightsabers seem to exist outside of this dichotomy entirely.

Is a green laser the diegetic result from shoving crystals into a machine without any conception of the Force as being Light/Dark (presuming the engineers who built the laser don't believe in the Force at all)? Because that raises some super interesting questions about the characters we see with green sabers (the relevant ones being Qui-Gon, Yoda, and ROTJ Luke). And it raises EVEN MORE interesting questions about the meaning of the Death Star, if it's 'Beyond Good and Evil' (or at least 'Jedi and Sith', which in a way it already was).

It also makes Starkiller Base even more explicitly 'THIS IS A DEATH STAR' because it's eating suns for the same power source that the Death Star used (rather than being some sort of weird eco-terrorist 'solar-powered' metaphor or something).

e: actually, now that i think about it, red/blue/green make up the colours of light, so green lightsabers metaphorically exist outside of the dichotomy of the Jedi and Sith by being part of the same spectrum, but separate from the more morally loaded colours.

The Death Star's beam is green because it's in keeping with the color of the lasers the other imperial vessels fire. Nothing more.

Lightsaber colors don't mean anything. There's a lot of dumb EU bullshit but Sith pretty much just have red because the Sith march in lockstep like Nazis - no individualism. The Jedi have various colors because they just pick what they like.

Now, you can make inferences, for example, that you have a green saber once you reject dogma and embrace zen or some poo poo, like Qui-Gon or Luke in ROTJ or Yoda. White is for the kids who haven't developed any kind of philosophy yet. Blue is for hardliners like Obi-Wan. But it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny very well. Mace Windu's saber is purple because Sam Jackson wanted a purple saber.

Basically it's your interpretation. Cannon is bullshit nonsense.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

It's strange how some of the tech in Star Wars, supposedly being thousands of years in the future, now appears very dated.

Star Wars isn't set in the future, though. That's the very first thing the audience is told, explicitly.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
When do the Sith ever march in lockstep like Nazis? That's something the clone troopers (who fire blue lasers), stormtroopers and First Order do, but the Sith are always portrayed as ridiculously individualistic, especially when it comes to lightsabers - Maul uses a double-ended blade, Dooku's got some sort of wacky epee grip because he does some weird special fighting type (Makashi, IIRC), Vader's the last of his kind - even Kylo Ren has his stupid little cross-guard. It's the Republic/Empire that are all about conformity.

Like, I'd buy there being some EU bullshit about red kyber crystals being attracted to the ~dark side of the Force~, but saying the Sith have no individualism and then turning around and saying the Jedi are all about free will and choice [sticks bucket on child's head] [leads army of mind-controlled slaves into a war] is even dumber.

Yes, I totally believe Samuel L Jackson wanted a purple lightsaber because it's cool, but let's go a level deeper and ask why he thinks that's cool. The answer is that purple's a mix of red and blue, and everybody wants to be Darth Vader, but a good guy. Mace Windu basically is "Darth Vader, but a good guy" with Yoda as his Emperor. There's an entire movie between 'Mace Windu has a purple lightsaber' and 'Mace Windu walks the dangerous path between Light and Dark'. (I'm gonna go full Wookiepedia here and mention that Mace Windu mastered a special fighting type that is constantly referred to as being 'dangerously Dark'. The idea can start from Jackson wanting a neat thing and still mean something else when contextualised.)

Maxwell Lord posted:

Something being done for a certain practical reason doesn't invalidate other symbolic interpretations. The only reason Alderaan blows up in the original is that it was getting too expensive to do the original "cloud fortress" concept they had for Leia's prison, so now she's on the Death Star.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ungulateman posted:

Mace Windu basically is "Darth Vader, but a good guy" with Yoda as his Emperor. There's an entire movie between 'Mace Windu has a purple lightsaber' and 'Mace Windu walks the dangerous path between Light and Dark'.

I don't really buy this at all. While Mace Windu had his flaws he did not walk a "dangerous path between Light and Dark," and he was quite unlike Darth Vader by any measure. Yoda was he equal on the council, not someone he pledges subservience to.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mace Windu and his purple lightsaber were present at the moment that Anakin thought - even if only for a moment, which he would come to regret - that the Jedi and the Sith are basically the same.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Unused ship designs from Rogue One:

http://www.imgur.com/a/A9kW1

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't really buy this at all. While Mace Windu had his flaws he did not walk a "dangerous path between Light and Dark," and he was quite unlike Darth Vader by any measure. Yoda was he equal on the council, not someone he pledges subservience to.

I'll admit I was reaching pretty hard by directly comparing Mace and Vader - I was just trying to make a metatextual point about people wanting to be badasses like Darth Vader but without being evil. But yeah, comparing them within the context of the story is clearly wrong.

Bongo Bill posted:

Mace Windu and his purple lightsaber were present at the moment that Anakin thought - even if only for a moment, which he would come to regret - that the Jedi and the Sith are basically the same.

This is a lot more relevant. It's the scene where Palpatine's statement that both the Jedi and Sith are only interested in greater power comes closest to reality.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lightsabers aren't important, but characters think they're important, which makes them important.

The whole EU literal Force-connection with their weapon thing was nonsense until TFA.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Just going off what I remember seeing in Rogue One, the Empire stores a database of their most important records in essentially loving floppy disks with no redundancy and transmits signals from their main records database with radio waves. I guess the Empire had to run on a tight budget while building the Death Star. I understand that Star Wars has always been more fantasy than sci-fi, but it's strange to see a modern sci-fi movie that has no awareness of modern technology.

Where are you getting the idea that Star Wars is in the future?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

i mean the yoda as his emperor stuff isn't true (yoda shoots down mace's idea to take control of the republic) but mace is dark as gently caress (he wants to take control of the republic!) he literally falls to hate and anger in the fight against palpatine because his love has turned to obsession.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lord Krangdar posted:

Star Wars isn't set in the future, though. That's the very first thing the audience is told, explicitly.

Star Wars is basically steampunk now, except instead of futuristic Victorian era it's futuristic 70s.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The main thing the new Star Wars movies are lacking is the overall disco aesthetic of New Hope.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The main thing the new Star Wars movies are lacking is the overall disco aesthetic of New Hope.

There were a decent number of porno staches in Rogue One

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Gonz posted:

Unused ship designs from Rogue One:

http://www.imgur.com/a/A9kW1

I thought Raddus’ flagship was a little like an inverted and backwards Invisible Hand, Grevious' flagship from ROTS. But the early concepts make it way more explicit. Very cool separatist to rebellion connection.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

ungulateman posted:

star wars means all of those things too, smg didn't mention them because people know that star wars is about all those things as well

star wars is allowed to be about many things, friend, including McLuhanist media and oral culture, the vietnam war, sexual liberation, fascism, and your bad posting

Schwarzwald posted:

Did SMG say otherwise? Nothing about this contradicts him.

I asked:

gfarrell80 posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not - are you saying 'the power of audio' is A New Hope's major theme??

To which it was responded:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yes, although it's more specifically a McLuhanist film about 'cool' media, oral culture, etc.

Then he doubled back and said oh yeah of course it is about all the stuff I was talking about.

The McLuhanist reading is total bull crap.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Governor Tarkin: The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever.
General Tagge: But that's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

Unfortunately, you do not really understand Star Wars.

But, more importantly, you do not understand McLuhan - because his statement that 'the medium is the message' is akin to the critique of ideology. It is not the plot content but the formal qualities of a work that are important. And that is a political statement that encompasses any of these minor issues you might want to talk about.

Regional governors are mentioned immediately after that. The regional governors and Imperial fleet is the military/industrial complex/bureaucracy we're talking about. They swept away an old irrelevant bureaucracy and have a new one, their own.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

There were a decent number of porno staches in Rogue One

The aesthetic of Rogue One was fantastic. The suede jacket on the dude in one of the final scenes was utter perfection on the "late 70s vision of the future space opera past a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" front.

My wife wanted to re-watch IV through VI yesterday because she hadn't seen them in forever. Holy God, I'd either forgotten or blocked out how terrible Return of the Jedi is. I mean, certainly this viewing was worse because it included Lucas' post-prequel fuckery, but even striking that, the movie was just a cluster, especially having just seen VI and V in rapid succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lord Krangdar posted:

At the same time, however, this is merely the beginning of the film suturing us into the symbolic order of the story. Star Wars takes place in the past in the exact same way as Mad Max 2 takes place in the past.

Lucas signified this explicitly when he added the subtitle "Episode V" to the sequel to a feature which was, as of yet, popularly known simply as Star Wars. The 'timing' of Star Wars is not literal - it's a fantastical "once upon a time" reference. What the opening is referring to is the unique subjective of a character living at some point in the future of 'canon.'

• Locked thread