Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why the gently caress do the civ AI's think it's a good idea to have a settler found a city which is literally 3 tiles from the center of my initial city?

Because it can found cities in places the game forbids you from placing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Really?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm disappointed that Civ 6 launched with all the horrible poo poo that I came to know and hate in Civ 5.

I'm also surprised, but I shouldn't be. I kinda thought that since the guy did BNW, we'd have BNW-level quality of whole game in the UI/AI department.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm disappointed that Civ 6 launched with all the horrible poo poo that I came to know and hate in Civ 5.

I'm also surprised, but I shouldn't be. I kinda thought that since the guy did BNW, we'd have BNW-level quality of whole game in the UI/AI department.

I can get past the lovely UI, I can get past the wonky tech timing, and I can get past the ludicrous curve of district production. Atleast all of those can be modded somewhat easily, but this game is straight unplayable with the current AI. I just don't understand how it can be as bad as it is.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi! I bought this game on release because I'm a moron and didn't learn from Beyond Earth. I played a couple of games then just played other things instead. How is it now? Is it better? Is there expansion news? Did the patches do anything interesting? What's the consensus on the game being good or bad?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Bad. No. No. No. Mostly bad, or flawed yet playable (IMO bad).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I got more than an hour of play for every £ I spent, so I'm happy more or less. I'd like to see more done with the game though. It has potential and I'm sure Firaxis will put most of it to good use... eventually. But there are some mystifying design decisions. I know designing AI for a game like this is hard, but surely with all their experience they can do better.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Orange Sunshine posted:

If you wipe out one or more civs in the early game before the other civs even have met you, do you still get warmongering penalties when they finally meet you?

I'm not exactly sure, as everyone dislikes me no matter what I do. Either I'm too strong, or too weak, or I have too many great people, or I haven't spread my religion to their cities, or I did spread my religion to their cities, or who knows what.

I hated Civ5 and just popped into the thread to see if Civ6 was worth a purchase now that it's been out for a while and the dust has settled. Posts like this make me so glad I resisted the urge to buy it on release day. Diplomacy in Civ4 wasn't exactly the most complex system on Earth, but it was so much better than the broke-dicked offerings Firaxis has provided since then.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Bad. No. No. No. Mostly bad, or flawed yet playable (IMO bad).

Gotten more hours out of it than Stellaris and Hoi 4 combined!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Civilization VI: surely with all their experience they can do better.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I really like almost all of the new features and ideas. I love districts, I think the new GP system is an improvement, and I like the civs and their leaders and the bonuses and all that.

But the AI just kills any replay value after a few times for me. They don't even need to be better necessarily just have them not act like weird idiots about everything.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm still playing Beyond Earth a lot. :shobon: I think reducing a lot of AI interactions to the text messages at the top of the screen was a good touch, only going "As Adam Smith said..." for trade proposals.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SlothBear posted:

I really like almost all of the new features and ideas. I love districts, I think the new GP system is an improvement, and I like the civs and their leaders and the bonuses and all that.

But the AI just kills any replay value after a few times for me. They don't even need to be better necessarily just have them not act like weird idiots about everything.

You finally become able to cross the ocean, send a ship across, meet Kongo for the first time.

Two turns later, he denounces you for not spreading your religion to his cities.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I hated Civ5 and just popped into the thread to see if Civ6 was worth a purchase now that it's been out for a while and the dust has settled. Posts like this make me so glad I resisted the urge to buy it on release day. Diplomacy in Civ4 wasn't exactly the most complex system on Earth, but it was so much better than the broke-dicked offerings Firaxis has provided since then.

Civ 6 is cool but it would be crap for anyone who didn't like 5 because it's very much an iteration on most of those systems.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Orange Sunshine posted:

You finally become able to cross the ocean, send a ship across, meet Kongo for the first time.

Two turns later, he denounces you for not spreading your religion to his cities.

Your only cities are six tiles inland, and you meet Harald, who immediately denounces you for not having a mighty navy.

Peter declares you a friend for your superior culture and science, and then three turns later accepts 1 GPT and 50 gold up front from Harald to declare joint war on you.

Gandhi all but wipes out your religion in every city you own, but because you haven't yet researched the right civic, this is not sufficient reason to declare war on him.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Actual diplomacy in this game is worth jack poo poo, and the AI will not only hate you for looking at it funny but it also literally incapable of waging war in any meaningful or effective manner (such as taking a city with walls), so the only solution is to accept everyone's going to hate you and just murder all the enemy civs you come across.

The AI also has no idea how trade deals work (won't trade 1:1 for luxuries for example), foreign trade routes kind of suck without the right civics, and it will completely ignore requests you make to it (don't settle near my cities, etc) no matter what your relationship. If you give it open borders, it will proceed to march every single one of its military units into your territory (even if you're on friendly terms with it) and cause a huge pain in the rear end for all your builders, etc. It's just loving baffling how bad it is.

The core gameplay of civ is still so satisfying (and they nailed it pretty hard with this game) that I've played a ton of this game, and for release civ games it's really pretty drat good, it just has some persistent and really glaring issues once you start poking under the surface.

Operant fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 31, 2016

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
game is fun in multiplayer

the ai sucks but the core mechanics are good (they could be tweaked a bit, but for the most part it's fun)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think the AI has been lovely for decades but more people are finally veteran enough to notice it on a more regular basis :shobon:

And judging by steam victory %s, the vast majority of players are still crappy enough that they don't know, don't care, or have plenty of fun in spite of that.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Operant posted:

The core gameplay of civ is still so satisfying (and they nailed it pretty hard with this game) that I've played a ton of this game, and for release civ games it's really pretty drat good, it just has some persistent and really glaring issues once you start poking under the surface.

Given that these AI issues have run straight from Civ5 to Beyond Earth to Civ6, I'm not optimistic about them fixing it in a Civ6 expansion. Maybe with Civ7 they'll dump 1UPT and erase their AI code and start from scratch??? Maybe???

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

victrix posted:

I think the AI has been lovely for decades but more people are finally veteran enough to notice it on a more regular basis :shobon:

And judging by steam victory %s, the vast majority of players are still crappy enough that they don't know, don't care, or have plenty of fun in spite of that.

The AI definitely wasn't this bad in Civ 5 or 4

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The AI wasn't even this bad in 3 where over the course of a game you'd get nations to hate you for refusing their "request for help" which invariably was a rare resource or a tech.

I'm tempted to put Civ2's logic ahead of it but it's been so long I may just be nostalgic.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Cheen posted:

Gotten more hours out of it than Stellaris and Hoi 4 combined!

Dunno how that's relevant, but good for you.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Dunno how that's relevant, but good for you.

Just razzin ya a little bit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JetsGuy posted:

The AI wasn't even this bad in 3 where over the course of a game you'd get nations to hate you for refusing their "request for help" which invariably was a rare resource or a tech.

That was in Civ 5 until one of the very last patches too! :pseudo:

Our nation is in a time of crisis, please send us your entire 2000+ gpt because you're already trading us all your excess luxuries and our AI is incapable of not begging for a loving handout. And if you don't, we'll denounce you :downs:

Really, is it too much to ask for a hard (and low) cap on warmonger penalties, and Civ 4 style, no penalty at all for taking cities or even wiping a civ out unless an AI player has a minimum diplo level with another civ? I mean, if Rome has been at war with Egypt for a hundred turns with no signs of slowing down, why should Cleopatra care that I razed Antium? Hell, I should get a diplo boost for capturing a core city from a civ's opponent.

There are like three basic logic gates that would make the diplomacy sooooo much better and more amicable to the player.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 1, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm not even good at Civ, I've lost King games in 4. In fact, of of my most memorable Civ games was in 4 where I started out on an island, made an expansion onto the main continent and then suddenly got attacked by one of the AI's with a huge force which steamrollered over all my mainland cities. It happened just as I was bringing nukes online and I nuked my own cities as they were taken to hurt the enemy army as much as possible and deny them useful spoils, but I was driven back to my island home to wither on the vine.

Cheen posted:

Just razzin ya a little bit.

:(

The White Dragon posted:

Our nation is in a time of crisis, please send us your entire 2000+ gpt because you're already trading us all your excess luxuries and our AI is incapable of not begging for a loving handout. And if you don't, we'll denounce you :downs:

Really, is it too much to ask for a hard (and low) cap on warmonger penalties, and Civ 4 style, no penalty at all for taking cities or even wiping a civ out unless an AI player has a minimum diplo level with another civ? I mean, if Rome has been at war with Egypt for a hundred turns with no signs of slowing down, why should Cleopatra care that I razed Antium? Hell, I should get a diplo boost for capturing a core city from a civ's opponent.

There are like three basic logic gates that would make the diplomacy sooooo much better and more amicable to the player.

Another very memorable game, for less fun reasons, was in Civ V: Two civs were beating up America, my kinda-friendly neighbour, and had almost wiped them out. I came to their rescue, beat up the aggressors, returned American cities, and took a few from the attackers. Right after that war America declared war on me due to my warmongering ways :sigh:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 1, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Darkrenown posted:

Another very memorable game, for less fun reasons, was in Civ V: Two civs were beating up America, my kinda-friendly neighbour, and had almost wiped them out. I came to their rescue, beat up the aggressors, returned American cities, and took a few from the attackers. Right after that war American declared war on me due to my warmongering ways :sigh:

Hey man, freedom isn't free. :911:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

The idea of a core city is a good one. Like a core province in eu 4. Over time and once it hits enough culture it can become a core city and has bigger penalties and bonuses. Get on it Firaxis

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Darkrenown posted:

Another very memorable game, for less fun reasons, was in Civ V: Two civs were beating up America, my kinda-friendly neighbour, and had almost wiped them out. I came to their rescue, beat up the aggressors, returned American cities, and took a few from the attackers. Right after that war American declared war on me due to my warmongering ways :sigh:

Operation Unthinkable, kinda-sorta.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So how does this game stack up compared to prior Civ games? I heard the AI was even stupider, is that true?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

So how does this game stack up compared to prior Civ games? I heard the AI was even stupider, is that true?

The AI cannot beat two archers and a warrior with 5,000 of its own units.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Well, that is a pretty clear answer, thanks. I guess I won't get it then.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Venice isn't a playable civ. Skip.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Peas and Rice posted:

Venice isn't a playable civ. Skip.

Counterpoint: gently caress Venice.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Lmao at someone not buying the game because some vocal goons claim its bad. Lmao harder at them mentioning Civ5 wasn't mediocre at release.

Can't wait for Civ7 where I will read that this game was a treasure.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Civ6 is fun.

It's certainly got some flaws but i like the district mechanic even if the ramp up for building the bare district is total bullshit.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

turboraton posted:

Lmao at someone not buying the game because some vocal goons claim its bad. Lmao harder at them mentioning Civ5 wasn't mediocre at release.

Can't wait for Civ7 where I will read that this game was a treasure.
I read that the AI is spectacularly awful. I asked. Someone said it was. Do you disagree?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress Venice.

Excellent username / post combination.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Diogines posted:

It's hard to tell whether the AI is stupider or if there are many more systems that the AI isn't fit to handle. It doesn't do war very well, though. Barbarians somehow are better at war. The AI isn't good, but you may or may not still get enjoyment from the game regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Diogines posted:

I read that the AI is spectacularly awful. I asked. Someone said it was. Do you disagree?

Some people take videogames personally.