Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
have you called room service to ask for the chilli special yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
Hey dave when you get back to rosie you might want to check out this thread in GBS

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802566

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I very rarely post in AI these days, but I saw this thread a few days ago, binged through it in 3 days, and here I am. Great work, Dave, Happy New Years, and I'm glad you'll see your cat again soon. I hope you let the huge amount of progress you made keep you riding high and feeling good about yourself.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

slothrop posted:

please no

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
To you and your truck on this New Year, may it be filled with joy and unbroken soft parts in the face of horrific machinery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6kJaGiRaI

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

slothrop posted:

Surely the chilli surprise is something he's leaving for housekeeping.

Brilliant thread, I greatly look forward to following along with you guys again in a few short months, and pitching in where I can.

People don't go on adventures enough any more. I'm kind of lucky in that a few times a year my job says to me "you need to be in the DRC for six weeks" or "you're going to above-Arctic Circle Canada for ten days" so I get to see new vistas and have different experiences every now and then. In 2015 we had to cancel a trip to Greenland because the exploration camp had been overrun by polar bears. Interesting stuff.

But almost all of us just punch in and out and stay in our little loops day-to-day, week-to-week, and so on. It's great to see that there are still people that go their own way in the world, and it's even greater to see the positive effect it's had on our protagonist these past few months.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

slothrop posted:

There's no room service :( there's a list of delivery options but I walked to mcdonalds

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

There's no room service :( there's a list of delivery options but I walked to mcdonalds

lol thank you

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Discovered this thread a couple of days ago and just had to binge it. Godspeed to you Dave, hope some of the peace of mind you found in Nebraska follows you home.

I'll be up for contributing supplies if this resumes in the spring.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dave enjoy your flight tomorrow and happy new year buddy.

You should feel proud of your accomplishments. We're all proud of ya bud.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
“A bridge of silver [wrenches] stretches from the dead ashes of an unforgiving nightmare to the jeweled vision of a life started anew.”

- Aberjhani

And Mazel Tov too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A happy New Year to this thread and the Bad Decision Truck, may they both ride again in 2017.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Happy New Beer, and god speed.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Dear 14, please try not to annihilate the cleaning staff with residual scents.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Happy new year 14, take it easy, pet the catte when you get in, and know you've done well and will again.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Dave enjoy your flight tomorrow and happy new year buddy.

Thank you man, for getting him home.

:coolfish:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'm surprised 14 hasn't spontaneously combusted due to smoking whilst having the digestive system of a sickly swamp dragon

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots posted:

Thank you man, for getting him home.

:coolfish:

Motherfuckers flying me first class :wow:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Motherfuckers flying me first class :wow:

I wish I had points to contribute, but bless Adiabatic! Those smug fuckers in the front of the plane have no idea what they're in for.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
E nm

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 1, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dave, seriously,. thanks for everything. I'm not even involved in this, but it was a hell of a ride watching this. No sane person would have ever done this, and you look so much better than a few months ago.

Godspeed man. Get home in one piece. Go stroke your hairy pussy Rosie for hours. Don't do meth. Go back out to finish it in a few months.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

A message from me and dan.

https://youtu.be/EsWIWH6-1dY

Thank you all it's been a hell of a ride.

Completely out of left field, but... what the gently caress is your accent? I thought you spent most of your life on the west coast? You sound more midwestern than... uh, midwesterners. Or am I just used to my own accent now?

Dan sounds mostly like "generic American accent" to me. People from the border region can nail my accent immediately as soon as I open my mouth, otherwise the only comment I get is "how much Spanish do you speak?" or "you don't sound like you're from Texas". I know my own accent has changed a lot since I moved to DFW 20 years ago, but the slang I use gives it away in a hurry.

My dead giveaway is a white guy using the *clicks mouth* AHHH as a scoff. Gabriel Iglesias describes it decently in his latest Netflix special.

clam ache posted:

The best kind of vette. Never seen one that clean personally.

I did once, right after I called the fire department to let them know it was on fire.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 1, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol my dad said the same thing. My brain is full of holes so like a sponge it absorbs regional accents drat near instantly without even trying. There was one time you said I sounded more Texas than you did too, because my best friend was from Galveston and I just sort of absorbed it

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ALL YOU CAN EAT PEPPER BACON

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That sounds more like a challenge than anything else.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

14 BAR RIFF posted:

ALL YOU CAN EAT PEPPER BACON

Truly the promised land.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ouch, $150 to check all my bags lol. But it made it. I'm in the Rapid City airport

E: happy new year fuckers

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 1, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Charging to take your luggage with you is one of the dumber things about air travel these days. I understand charges for something like your box of tools, but gently caress me, include the price of my damned clothes in the price of the ticket you cock-gobbler airline douchebags.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lmfao dude at the airport bar thought I worked here cause I'm in my carhart suit

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Locator posted:

Charging to take your luggage with you is one of the dumber things about air travel these days. I understand charges for something like your box of tools, but gently caress me, include the price of my damned clothes in the price of the ticket you cock-gobbler airline douchebags.

it gets dumber than that, because they say airplanes these days are flying around with the cargo holds at ~37% capacity. It's so bad they're trying to figure out how to put people in there.

Some airlines are even starting to charge for the overhead bins, with your only free luggage space being under the seat in front of you, or for someone over 5'4, your footroom.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Powershift posted:

it gets dumber than that, because they say airplanes these days are flying around with the cargo holds at ~37% capacity. It's so bad they're trying to figure out how to put people in there.

Some airlines are even starting to charge for the overhead bins, with your only free luggage space being under the seat in front of you, or for someone over 5'4, your footroom.

The intended purpose was to try to get people to carry on more, so now to save $25 people stuff 10 tons of poo poo into bags that barely fit as carryon. It's irritating as hell to get on and off planes these days as everyone drags around two giant bags with them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Thae problem is that no matter how much people say they would rather pay more for the face price of the ticket than be nickled and dimed and crammed in like sardines, consumers as a group still just buy the cheapest ticket they can find and bitch about the fees and lack of space later.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

The intended purpose was to try to get people to carry on more, so now to save $25 people stuff 10 tons of poo poo into bags that barely fit as carryon. It's irritating as hell to get on and off planes these days as everyone drags around two giant bags with them.

And airlines have started to inflate gate to gate flight times to accommodate the increased boarding and disembarking times. It's loving stupid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They could counter it pretty easy by giving boarding priority to those that aren't carrying on.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
You guys know what the cure is for crappy airlines and 14: he needs to build an auto gyro in the spring to return to the truck.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

As Nero Danced posted:

You guys know what the cure is for crappy airlines and 14: he needs to build an auto gyro in the spring to return to the truck.

I can imagine 14 invading Valentine in the spring in one of these, painted Carhartt Brown

http://www.aviomania.com/product-1.htm

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As Nero Danced posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soxxPyaAT1k

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

even if they're not full, they don't way to pay for fuel to fly your poo poo around for free.

if an airline can fit an extra row of seats in a plane they will generally see over 300k extra profit per seat per year from that row.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
All told I brought about 175lbs of stuff home lmao

Only loving thing they confiscated was my oil wrench pliers :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

14 BAR RIFF posted:

All told I brought about 175lbs of stuff home lmao

Only loving thing they confiscated was my oil wrench pliers :argh: