Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think it's pretty telling that Star Citizen is so devoid of content that this thread can spend a full day talking about how creepy that guy was on a livestream that had nothing to do with SC. Granted that this guy is one of the most visible ambassadors for the game, and has displayed a level of tolerance for this poo poo gameplay that most people would associate with a paid job, but if this phenomena wasn't less about personalities and was about gameplay we wouldn't care.

Of course the phenomena reflects the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheLightPurges posted:

Maybe im just out of touch or old school but doxxing used to be posting some dudes name and phone number for random people to blow up with hate mail and pizza orders.

Doxxing never meant posting embarassing or horrendous poo poo people have posted on the internet.

Like the "doxx" was literally a link to someones blog and a business website wtfsaurus operated.

This website is called "Something Awful" because it was founded on scouring the internet for embarassing poo poo people post on the internet. I found "something awful".

Ignore those retards. They just redefine the meaning of things to suit their narrative. Heck, posting a LinkedIn page is doxing now. Just ask that Shitizen wanker FAU.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The post included personally identifiable information. People are welcome to find it on their own, but don't post it here.

That's the doxing part that shouldn't be allowed.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

D_Smart posted:

That's the doxing part that shouldn't be allowed.

So Derek, got any presents for us?
you know, to get 2017 rolling.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think it's pretty telling that Star Citizen is so devoid of content that this thread can spend a full day talking about how creepy that guy was on a livestream that had nothing to do with SC. Granted that this guy is one of the most visible ambassadors for the game, and has displayed a level of tolerance for this poo poo gameplay that most people would associate with a paid job, but if this phenomena wasn't less about personalities and was about gameplay we wouldn't care.

Of course the phenomena reflects the product.

Well, as someone else put it pretty well - by this point SC is less so a game or even a tech demo, but a confidence scam. The shitizens that are still in for it don't pledge on the merits of the gameplay or, at this point, even I would argue at the potential gameplay in the future to fulfill their nerd fantasy. If that were objectively the case, then in the span of a couple of months CIG would get torn to shreds by individual lawsuits out the rear end and go bankrupt within half a year most likely.

Instead, they pledge purely on the word of the personalities that regularly shill for the game (CIG and streamers such as WTFO) and their promises. So long as they have confidence in that, hilarious as it is, it staves off the abyss for the whole project and CIG.

It is even moreso telling that by this point their defense brigade barely cares anymore if you point out to them for a millionth time, just how retarded CIG's practices are for an alpha or how we were supposed to be long past the alpha stage by now based on their promises, but do something like this or uncovering Sandi's tickle fetish work and suddenly you get hilarious poo poo like #IStandWithSandi drawing them out of the woodworks, because god forbid that their precious trust in these scam artists gets dented and they actually consider that the thousands of dollars they 'invested' in CIG might be lost forever and for nothing.

So yea...the thread senses this and leans into it moreso than the umpteenth discussion of mechanics or procedures, really.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
Some new archer work would be nice.
I miss archergate.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

hanales posted:

The question will probably come up (legally, not here) at some point whether a twitch streamer or youtuber is making themselves a "public figure", which changes the rules somewhat on what would be considered doxxing. Like, Tim Allen's wikipedia article details his cocaine trafficking arrest and imprisonment. I'm sure he'd rather most people didn't know about that.

It's an interesting question. I'm not sure how I feel about it in the case where people are making money on a name/public persona.

It's not a question. It's a fact actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_figure

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Public+Figure

http://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/public-figure.html

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CrazyLoon posted:

Well, as someone else put it pretty well - by this point SC is less so a game or even a tech demo, but a confidence scam. The shitizens that are still in for it don't pledge on the merits of the gameplay or, at this point, even I would argue at the potential gameplay in the future to fulfill their nerd fantasy. If that were objectively the case, then in the span of a couple of months CIG would get torn to shreds by individual lawsuits out the rear end and go bankrupt within half a year most likely.

Instead, they pledge purely on the word of the personalities that regularly shill for the game (CIG and streamers such as WTFO) and their promises. So long as they have confidence in that, hilarious as it is, it staves off the abyss for the whole project and CIG.

It is even moreso telling that by this point their defense brigade barely cares anymore if you point out to them for a millionth time, just how retarded CIG's practices are for an alpha or how we were supposed to be long past the alpha stage by now based on their promises, but do something like this or uncovering Sandi's tickle fetish work and suddenly you get hilarious poo poo like #IStandWithSandi drawing them out of the woodworks, because god forbid that their precious trust in these scam artists gets dented and they actually consider that the thousands of dollars they 'invested' in CIG might be lost forever and for nothing.

So yea...the thread senses this and leans into it moreso than the umpteenth discussion of mechanics or procedures, really.

Fair point, and confidence scam is a perfect description.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUzQAYyG7qQ

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ll3ka/where_can_we_report_cheaters/

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Zarnum

iron buns fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 2, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You also have to consider that in a "game" that is so lacking in content and ability to play in any kind of fashion on computers that aren't high end, someone like WTFosaurus is going to become a prominent figure in the SC narrative because he is the most visible streamer on the project.

Sure, 200 viewers isn't really a lot, but he's still the most viewed SC streamer and, as such, will be the most public as well. Also, we have speculated that he's getting compensated in some way by CIG, which is a fair question to ask because gently caress he looks bored playing SC.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
this stuff about wtf is online and anyone can find it tbh. Its info that alleges he has done scummy things to people and lots of people commented on it. Its funny that many people had different names for him cos they allege he keeps changing his name but seemed sure it was the same guy.

why him? pff he was just a salty shill that amused some of us with how pissed off he would get about criticism at star citizen and whilst playing it for daily job hours getting more and more angry with the game. It was fun to see how long he would play it and he would melt down occasionally.

Dont forget he was travelled in to host on the official star citizen citizencon or some loving event-thing where they flew streamers in to host poo poo for hours. This is amidst all the stuff where we are asking do they pay people to shill to the pathetic audience of 1.6 million fans that had viewers in the very low 100s on twitch. Plus the popular ones offering ships every 30 mins. ye.

Then his love factory stuff appears on stream and he shits the bed banning and cutting all debate down and then appears as described groping, grabbing any booze and acting a total arse on que.

lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gradis posted:

this stuff about wtf is online and anyone can find it tbh. Its info that alleges he has done scummy things to people and lots of people commented on it. Its funny that many people had different names for him cos they allege he keeps changing his name but seemed sure it was the same guy.

why him? pff he was just a salty shill that amused some of us with how pissed off he would get about criticism at star citizen and whilst playing it for daily job hours getting more and more angry with the game. It was fun to see how long he would play it and he would melt down occasionally.

Dont forget he was travelled in to host on the official star citizen citizencon or some loving event-thing where they flew streamers in to host poo poo for hours. This is amidst all the stuff where we are asking do they pay people to shill to the pathetic audience of 1.6 million fans that had viewers in the very low 100s on twitch. Plus the popular ones offering ships every 30 mins. ye.

Then his love factory stuff appears on stream and he shits the bed banning and cutting all debate down and then appears as described groping, grabbing any booze and acting a total arse on que.

lol

sounds like its time for some fwiggin goon justice

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chin posted:

You seem very keen on defending WTFosaurus' actions and depicting a Twitch streamer with hundreds of people paying him $5/month as some nobody with 10 viewers.

Are you big in the PUA "industry"?

Hahaha holy poo poo

This thread rules.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

I.N.R.I posted:

call his parents. tell them they need to spank his bum.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Gradis posted:

call his parents. tell them they need to spank his bum.

The Warlord certainly thought as much with that kid in the wheelchair.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Chin posted:

You seem very keen on defending WTFosaurus' actions and depicting a Twitch streamer with hundreds of people paying him $5/month as some nobody with 10 viewers.

Are you big in the PUA "industry"?

:v: "hey guys, check out this weird thing I found while going through my neighbours trash!"
:confused: "Erm... why were you going through your neighbours trash?"
:v: "LOOK AT THIS WEIRD THING"
:confused: "I'm far more interested in why the hell you thought it was normal to..."
:v: "OH MY GOD STOP DEFENDING HIM!"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

No. There is no reason why them getting the scale wrong would be a major catastrophe. It'd be some work to fix it if it is code side and no real work to fix it art side.

There was, as apparently they shifted the scale twice.

Scaling has a knock on effect for physics though. Think volume, momentum...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's hit ponzi territory. Without a doubt.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

I.N.R.I posted:

GBS certainly thinks so in another case that also demands your critical insight.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

:v: "hey guys, check out this weird thing I found while going through my neighbours trash!"
:confused: "Erm... why were you going through your neighbours trash?"
:v: "LOOK AT THIS WEIRD THING"
:confused: "I'm far more interested in why the hell you thought it was normal to..."
:v: "OH MY GOD STOP DEFENDING HIM!"

Is the trash 'google'?

You've gone weird man, just don't eat the soap.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hav posted:

Is the trash 'google'?

:v: "it's perfectly normal to research someone's real name and home address based because they have a different opinion about a video game than you"

There, now it's less cryptic.

WTFosaurus is an rear end in a top hat, we knew this before someone googled his personal details and found a bunch of stuff that confirms that he is indeed the rear end in a top hat we all knew he was. Seriously though who loving needed that additional info? And presumably if there hadn't been any shady info found, we wouldn't have heard anything about it. So I guess everyone who's mentioned in this thread gets thoroughly researched but usually nobody finds anything of interest and we never heard anything about it.

Absolutely a normal thing that's not creepy at all.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 2, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

My favorite part is that an unpaid moderator is now making official statements on behalf of CIG.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Greedy bastards now demand to be paid for their work? What is this world coming to?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

:v: "it's perfectly normal to research someone's real name and home address based because they have a different opinion about a video game than you"

There, now it's less cryptic.

WTFosaurus is an rear end in a top hat, we knew this before someone googled his personal details and found a bunch of stuff that confirms that he is indeed the rear end in a top hat we all knew he was. Seriously though who loving needed that additional info?

I didn't ask you to clarify, I asked you if the 'trash' was google. If it was, then you have gently caress all point to make.

Is it normal for someone to look up someone else to harass them in real life? No, but it happened to me in 1997 when someone disagreed with a moderation I made on compuserve, so personally I think less of the overall 'gag' of concern trolling about doxxing. I'm engaging with you because you're better than that.

Was the 'doxxer' punished? Cool, lets move on to more entertaining and less loving annoying things like a broad interpretation of 'doxxing' that involves a name and loving google.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

Greedy bastards now demand to be paid for their work? What is this world coming to?

Sandi Garderner's private personal information

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Hav posted:

Is the trash 'google'?

Lmao.
loving imbecile.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
can't stop the doxx, can't stop the doxx

you can't

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MeLKoR posted:

Filthy paycheck locusts.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Its amazing, really. The second I leave for holidays and stop posting that doxxing people is bad and wrong you guys become high impact faggots and do it anyway.
And instead of acknowledging how hosed up it is, ppl go "OOHH?? IS GOOGLE TRASH?? its all publicly available so its absolutely not creepy!!"
Whats wrong with you people?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm glad ArfJason's family is dead

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

If you look at the supposed doxx post, it begins by lol. As by the rules here etablished by the admin mod, it is allowed because it's doxxing for fun, if you can call a google search a doxx. I demand a refund for the 10$ the cat had to pay. If you have any concern about this politic, feel free to pm Lazrin/Lethality/FactsAreUseless to change it.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Because he didn't call them

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hav posted:

I didn't ask you to clarify, I asked you if the 'trash' was google. If it was, then you have gently caress all point to make.

Is it normal for someone to look up someone else to harass them in real life? No, but it happened to me in 1997 when someone disagreed with a moderation I made on compuserve, so personally I think less of the overall 'gag' of concern trolling about doxxing. I'm engaging with you because you're better than that.

Was the 'doxxer' punished? Cool, lets move on to more entertaining and less loving annoying things like a broad interpretation of 'doxxing' that involves a name and loving google.

Hey, I was responding to someone who said I was defending the streamer. I wasn't.

I'm not concern trolling, and I've been getting really irritated by the concern trolls in the thread - but you know what, we loving reap what we sow here. Perhaps if the response to this sort of poo poo was more along the lines of "don't do that" rather than "well in the last month he made $72.50 from twitch advertising revenue and regularly appears on webcam to upwards of 100 people therefore I believe he qualifies as a public figure and furthermore..." they wouldn't be here.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
google is trash

the best place to doxx is yahoo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Chalks posted:

Perhaps if the response to this sort of poo poo was more along the lines of "don't do that" rather than "well in the last month he made $72.50 from twitch advertising revenue and regularly appears on webcam to upwards of 100 people therefore I believe he qualifies as a public figure and furthermore..." they wouldn't be here.

Wait holy poo poo what

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Stollen is nice

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ArfJason posted:

Wait holy poo poo what

I know right, no way he gets 100

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Courts can be flawed and sometimes innocent people are found guilty of crimes they didnt commit.

Goons: WHO DID YOU MURDER?!?!?!?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
what is a high impact human being anyway

I know nothing of gay culture except what I've recently learned from ffxv

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Ahhh, the "thread eating itself" phase. That only means one thing, CIG's biggest gently caress up yet phase in T minus 3...2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Im ethan bradberry.