Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You could always watch the canadian one

badadadadadadada BADADADADADADADADA badadadadadadada BADADADADADADADADA badadadadadadada BADADADADADADADADA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

the ads are unbearable, but NBC's coverage is vastly superior to Sky in literally every other way
Never a truer post. But goons are unable emotionally to handle hearing someone say "whooaoa"

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

I'm gonna say it every day until I die: the ads are unbearable, but NBC's coverage is vastly superior to Sky in literally every other way.

Erhh, no.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want the winner of the worst olympics then BBC Radio 5 live has James Allen and Jennie Gow

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Hennogarvie nooooooo

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

learnincurve posted:

If you want the winner of the worst olympics then BBC Radio 5 live has James Allen and Jennie Gow

They have Jack Nicholls now, who's quite good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Good commentators are better than bad commentators.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

gret posted:

They have Jack Nicholls now, who's quite good.

Is Allen still there because if he's not I'm going to honour that age old British tradition of muting the TV and listening to the (usually) far superior Radio broadcast. Loads of apps with the BBC radio stations on them so the Americans could do the same with the Spanish-no adverts-channel.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

learnincurve posted:

Is Allen still there because if he's not I'm going to honour that age old British tradition of muting the TV and listening to the (usually) far superior Radio broadcast. Loads of apps with the BBC radio stations on them so the Americans could do the same with the Spanish-no adverts-channel.

It's Nicholls with McNish.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

learnincurve posted:

this is a good idea I hadn't considered until now. also helps solve the problem of American TV coverage having ads that cause you to miss critical parts of the race. probably would end up lagging a bit ahead/behind of the TV broadcast but maybe not enough to matter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

Good commentators are better than bad commentators.
I noticed no one's been able to refute this

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I noticed no one's been able to refute this

being ad free trumps bad commentary. You could put on Nigel Farage and it'd still be better than having the same three commercials shoved down my throat a million times

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

gret posted:

It's Nicholls with McNish.

Only problem with the 5Live commentary is since it's a rolling news and sport channel they keep breaking away for football and cricket score updates.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

gret posted:

Welp the hennostream dude got doxxed and shut himself down. Gonna need to find a new place for illicit HD Sky streams next season...

Any of the other 15 streams doing the same thing will do you.
The mini-cult around him wasn't really justified.

Also if you don't watch the Sky feed you won't know what THE F1 MEDIA are going to be whining about for the next week, so.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

Any of the other 15 streams doing the same thing will do you.
The mini-cult around him wasn't really justified.

Also if you don't watch the Sky feed you won't know what THE F1 MEDIA are going to be whining about for the next week, so.

There's no one else with guaranteed, easy to find, high quality AceStreams every week.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

There's no one else with guaranteed, easy to find, high quality AceStreams every week.

I guess I'm suggesting there's a bunch of people willing to do it in theory and a vacuum . . .
Basically the same as shutting down any given :filez: source anywhere; alternatives get better instead.

The guy was an idiot and I didn't think he'd last as long as he did given you can literally google his real name and he was asking for money for doing it.
He's going to have a nice legal bill.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I will miss the random appearance of Maldonado's head on the streams.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I will miss the random appearance of Maldonado's head on the streams.

On the contrary, if someone replaces him I hope they don't poo poo all over the stream with idiot memes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

On the contrary, if someone replaces him I hope they don't poo poo all over the stream with idiot memes.

Absolutely this. I found his stream to be annoying as poo poo because of it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Absolutely this. I found his stream to be annoying as poo poo because of it.

The manifesto of the guy who doxxed him said he was doing it for that reason (and for asking for money).

I hope liberty media see this happening and recognise the demand for a streaming service that isn't shite.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Khablam posted:

The manifesto of the guy who doxxed him said he was doing it for that reason (and for asking for money).

I hope liberty media see this happening and recognise the demand for a streaming service that isn't shite.

Especially in countries where their current broadcasting partner shows the sport the same respect as a wet fart.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just want to watch without ads and I'd gladly pay a non-insane amount of money to Liberty to do. I'm worried the existing TV deals will require them to charge like $20 a race or something silly.

Also I had no idea Henno was the guy's actual name that's hilarious. When you are cutting custom intros videos featuring your real name for your illegal stream you might have a bit of an ego problem.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Is there a link to where I can read about what happened?

Henno Garvie was Phil Mitchell's SAS character on a crappy TV series

I never watched Hennostream but it'd occasionally show up on YouTube. There are plenty of others who put races up on Youtube on Monday morning or Sunday night, usually they last long enough to give you a chance to catch it, e.g. before work if you get up early, probably into the afternoon if you're a NEET chav. Yes some of them have a tiny picture, but plug the laptop into the big telly, set it to 720 or some even have 1080 and you can read all the names and times. Plus there are always about 4 to choose from in English, plus a French and a Russian one if you're forrin

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

simplefish posted:

Is there a link to where I can read about what happened?

Henno Garvie was Phil Mitchell's SAS character on a crappy TV series

I never watched Hennostream but it'd occasionally show up on YouTube. There are plenty of others who put races up on Youtube on Monday morning or Sunday night, usually they last long enough to give you a chance to catch it, e.g. before work if you get up early, probably into the afternoon if you're a NEET chav. Yes some of them have a tiny picture, but plug the laptop into the big telly, set it to 720 or some even have 1080 and you can read all the names and times. Plus there are always about 4 to choose from in English, plus a French and a Russian one if you're forrin

Imagine thinking this is a solution.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Better solution than anything Bernie's offering, plus unlike streaming I'm not tied to a timezone

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If Sky can stream on Now TV and sell sky sports passes, then I susepect the American broadcasters can if they wanted to. The bigger problem is that you don't want to stream them because they are terrible. All hail Liberty if they can fix it for you.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

wicka posted:

I'm gonna say it every day until I die: the ads are unbearable, but NBC's coverage is vastly superior to Sky in literally every other way. Sky's F1 coverage is among the worst sports broadcasts in the world. Just awful.

Hearing Americans talk about F1 is basically like nails on a chalk board.

Edit - According to the judge13, Liberty are interested in 2 races over the Saturday and Sunday. To me that sounds like probably the worst change they could make to F1 and I reaaaally hope it doesn't happen.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 3, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Edit - According to the judge13, Liberty are interested in 2 races over the Saturday and Sunday. To me that sounds like probably the worst change they could make to F1 and I reaaaally hope it doesn't happen.

Sky is atrocious, dude.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Channel 4 are good and I don't understand why people don't like them (when they're live)

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

AgentJotun posted:

Ah, the format which has brought so much success to WTCC.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Also, there are zero Americans involved in the NBC broadcast.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I just want to watch without ads and I'd gladly pay a non-insane amount of money to Liberty to do. I'm worried the existing TV deals will require them to charge like $20 a race or something silly.

Also I had no idea Henno was the guy's actual name that's hilarious. When you are cutting custom intros videos featuring your real name for your illegal stream you might have a bit of an ego problem.

It's not his actual name. His real name, contact details, address, DOB and just about everything you can imagine was however placed in the WhoIs of the domains he registered to stream illegally on.
He's also publicly admitted he uses the funds to buy drugs on darknet markets (literally on stream and in chat), so the British police are involved.

blunt posted:

Channel 4 are good and I don't understand why people don't like them (when they're live)
Coultard has the worst opinions of anyone and his voice puts the dead to sleep.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Worst opinions of anyone except Lumsden Bumhat and David "Crofty" Croft and Johnny Herbert.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Never a truer post. But goons are unable emotionally to handle hearing someone say "whooaoa"

It is true, but missing like 20-25 percent of the race due to ads is a completely legitimate complaint. Is the coverage really better if you're missing 1/3 of it?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Worst opinions of anyone except Lumsden Bumhat and David "Crofty" Croft and Johnny Herbert.

But those bad opinions are spread over a whole race, not a highlights reel that is increasingly useless when so much of the racing comes down to tire management over time.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, I'm surprised no one watches Channel 4. Also, I have a feeling Liberty is going to take a good look at Dorna and how they do the amazing MotoGP online streaming service and copy that.

I mean for fucks sake they even have a No Spoilers page you can bookmark which are just links for all the streams if you missed anything and no results anywhere to be seen whatsoever. That's some seriously good thinking.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Why am I agreeing with Wicka on things?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wicka is a Good Poster, not necessarily Cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised no one watches Channel 4. Also, I have a feeling Liberty is going to take a good look at Dorna and how they do the amazing MotoGP online streaming service and copy that.

I mean for fucks sake they even have a No Spoilers page you can bookmark which are just links for all the streams if you missed anything and no results anywhere to be seen whatsoever. That's some seriously good thinking.

Yeah I'm cautiously optimistic about Liberty given what they've said. They seem to indicate that they're going to be much more interested in establishing a digital/internet strategy. I don't know if they'll have enough time to have things ready for the upcoming season, but surely anything would be better than what we have at the moment.

• Locked thread