Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have Dia as my center during Aqours events, and I can imagine her saying "ganbaruby!" but not "yousoro!", so I go with the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I finally changed my LL name from some sort of Nico pun (which I've been doing for years) to LL☆JoJo. Now to hope to get a UR Jojo costume and set it as my main. I think any costume with prominent purple should work. Halloween Yohane would've been perfect. :negative:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
unlike dark souls, alcohol does not increase my skill at love live. i am barely passing these songs now. i'd wait until i sober up to play more but then i'm wasting all this lp so i might as well get something out of it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I find a small amount of booze (1, maybe 2 drinks) takes away the nervousness that I might gently caress up a FC, and I often do better. Much more than that, though, and things get bad. Hungover is even worse.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Zenostein posted:

I must've watched the first Wake Up Girls movie at some point, because it all seemed familiar enough and none of it seems to be in the first few episodes. You know, for a movie it looks awfully

Dig the pointy noses, though.

lol

I need to get my group simulwatch of the next movie ready. Probably this weekend with my regular group at the earliest since one guy'll be back from vacation Friday.

I don't think I really like the new art style in the announced material but I'll give it a shot.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Everyone is mocking me by posting their SSRs. But I shall not be led into Star Jewel temptation.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i bought a ticket for minami so i could complete the love laika swimsuit set

i am playing on 8.8 speed now which is good on 2d but on the flashier 3d stages its so easier for the notes to blend into the background and then theyre past you before you even see them!!!!

i cant believe how good some of these jams are lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it probably doesnt help that the notes are the same red as cinfes yui's dress and she is the center of all my units now

if youre playing someones solo song and theyre in your unit but not the center they should switch the models around so it fits

whats the name of the song with nina and yui. orange really blows red and blue out of the water tell u what

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You can change the color of the notes.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Super No Vacancy posted:

it probably doesnt help that the notes are the same red as cinfes yui's dress and she is the center of all my units now

if youre playing someones solo song and theyre in your unit but not the center they should switch the models around so it fits

whats the name of the song with nina and yui. orange really blows red and blue out of the water tell u what

Kimi ni Ippai? The one that sounds hella island party like?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

kinda island party but not the one in the pool stadium. at one point somebody sings hoo hoo (hoo hoo)

https://twitter.com/HypemasterMonty/status/815763502908309504
https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU/status/815770593366786048

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Yeah, that's definitely Kimi ni Ippai. What a swell, upbeat song.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I really like this new year's room music. It'd be nice if they kept it on a toggle or something.

Also yes, the default notes are very pretty and all, but there's nowhere near enough contrast for them to not get lost in the backgrounds in either mode. (Plus, I like having the different types of note in different colors. It's easier to read.)

After [re]watching a bit of Wake Up Girls, that new artstyle is hella weird. Doubly so once I realized that they're meant to be the same girls. …they are the same, right?
Both artstyles aren't exactly great, just the old one is almost oldschool normal, I think.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm very sure they are. Yoppi's shorter hair is different to me, though; maybe I need to watch the other two movies to understand.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have a terrible confession: I missed Dia's birthday in EN.

I've failed her, and I've failed myself :negative:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

dia_gasp.png

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
you have shown your gratitude for her blessing...... poory

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

BUU BUU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/jeonghee1414/status/816125287532347392

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Die-a.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

that's good

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes, I've been waiting to use that pun for a while now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I'm very triggered now

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

man that kaede is so far still

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

https://twitter.com/chamere0n/status/815891715823276032

Thanks Chihiro~

probably should've actually cropped those~

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'm so, so sorry

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Late, but you deserve this, especially after that last pull you had:

While this is JP, you die as well. Hope my next Aqours pull is as successful as this when i do it sometime tomorrow... I just want Halloween Yohane or another Halloween member, but of course the increased chance to draw ended a week ago now as I was scraping the loveca together... Maybe I should wait for the next increased Aqours draw chance for a better chance to get the other Halloween Aqours members, but gently caress it.

deathbot posted:

I don't really like score match because I get stressed and start flubbing notes, and my team carries me on to a shameful victory. I hope we go back to the other events next time!

Chill la Chill posted:

:same: I feel bad when I get lower combo and win, but also feel angery if I get a full combo and lose in last place with 2+ UR in my team. :argh:
I know that feel:

Still, gotta get as many event points as I can, I guess.

Chill la Chill posted:

But I always say Shiny/Horosho anyway. The one good thing about the change in emotes is that there are now two viable choices for the contestant screen: aye aye and Rubesty. Previously, only Nico Nico was a valid choice.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I have Dia as my center during Aqours events, and I can imagine her saying "ganbaruby!" but not "yousoro!", so I go with the former.
I have Chika as my center, but I still say all three ("Shiny!", "Yousoro!", and "Ganbaruby!") when it feels fitting, because those seem to feel the most right. Still wish they'd but "Horosho!" and "Nico Nico Ni!" back in the choices though.

Now if I can only hold on to my low Tier 3 rank to get the Mari SR without blowing too many more loveca that I need for my next scout... People on EN must really want that Mari, the cutoffs have been a lot higher than the last couple of events. Only a couple days left, gotta Ganbaruby!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I will state that Halloween Dia is worth it. Though really, both UR Dias are worth it

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

https://twitter.com/chamere0n/status/815891715823276032

Thanks Chihiro~

probably should've actually cropped those~

It should definitely have given you that photo for real

Leos Klein
Mar 11, 2011

ALL HAIL CARDIEL

New score match on JP Lovelive. I'm so burnt out on playing 2 Lovelive accounts. Does anybody know how much a 7 UR JP account goes for?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Egh, Score Match.

Not gonna go for the SRs, just gonna grab a few Loveca from the event and call it quits.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways I realized I never summed up my feelings on episodes 7 and 8.

7 was pretty uneventful except introducing the rival idols, who are more in focus in episode 8 anyways, and dealing with Riko's past, but episode 8 also deals with the theme of failure and expectations anyways. Besides finding out that Riko is a yuri fan, which did help Riko secure her already steady position as Zep's favorite girl.

To keep myself from overly rambling and losing focus I'll just divide what I want to post about in sections. Probably end up being less flow, but I really wanna watch episode 9.

Mari

Mari only appears briefly here, but she makes a really big impact and leaves as massive crater in your heart with her reaction to Kanan's rejection. For the series, Mari has played a Nozomi-like role, but is set apart in that she's far more strict than Nozomi ever was, and acts more as an instructor than a mysterious backer / sponsor. But what's really interesting to me is that both Nozomi and Mari have regrets tied to the past - Nozomi regretted not being able to reach out to people like Nico to make friends while she was in her first year, while Mari regrets losing the friends she had. In a way, Mari is sorta like Nozomi in a post Love Live world, had Nozomi and Eli joined Nico to become school idols. Sorta. Maybe.

Either way, one of the episodes I really liked the episode was because of this new side of Mari we get to see, one beyond the smiling and mysterious authority figure she's played until now. Nozomi's episode in season 2 was one of my favorite episodes that season, so hopefully there's a Mari episode coming up soon!

Chika

Chika's another character who we get to see more of this episode, and we get to see her go from the peppy leader to someone who feels lost before rising up as the leader again.

One thing I really liked was how when Chika felt down, You would motivate her again by implicitly nudging her with a negative statement, like asking Chika if she wants to quit. But this episode, Chika can't answer right away, and you can tell how much that worries You. And yet, as down as Chika is, she can't really bring herself to show her sadness and frustration in front of the group, because she feels like she's responsible for bringing everyone along on the journey to become school idols. Which makes her frustration all the more heartfelt. Sure, standards for school idols have gone up. But how does that serve as any consolation? It doesn't change the fact that the girls worked so hard and got nothing. Sure, the world's not fair, but that doesn't mean you can't be unhappy with how unfair the world is!

It's also another growth for Chika following episode 6. After finally finding her goal, she stumbled once along the way, but with the help of her friends she's managed to get back up with a newfound realization and understanding of things.

School Idols

Back when I compared Love Live and iM@S, I made the comparison that Love Live was a lot more like a school club anime than it was an anime about idols, so this new shift was really new and interesting. The anime has already repeatedly pointed out the role of Muse and A-RISE as innovators who truly changed the game for school idols, but until now we've mainly been focused on one small town. It's only now that we really get to see what the events of the Love Live Movie have had on school idols as a whole, beyond just inspiring idols.

Now that the game has changed, it can't really un-change. Standards have gone up drastically, and a higher level of quality is now the norm. Like, you see this discussed in other competitions as well. Like, would those who dominated in sports like baseball and basketball still dominate in today's versions of baseball and basketball? So much has changed, whether it be training methods, rules, techniques, or so on. Hell, it's not just competitions. Just look at games. Do games from the past really hold up to the standards we set them by? I went from a PS3 to a PS4 and haven't been able to go back because of the image quality. Even though there are games that I'd like to play, the contrast with what has become the standard for me when playing games keeps me from being able to get into it.

If the popularity of school idols was Muse's gift to Aqours, then the increased hurdles are the challenge set forth for them. Back during the time of Love Live, school idols as clubs worked. But now? The club-like mentality isn't seen as determined enough, which is what Saint Snow pretty much say to Aqours after all is over.

Expectation and Failure

There's a very neat discussion about expectations and labeling that I could never properly sum up myself in the Souma thread, so here's a link.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549295&pagenumber=121

Speaking just within the context of the series, the enhanced standards have resulted in increased expectations for what school idols are supposed to be capable of. The challenge of Muse and A-RISE, as it were. The realization of this expectation that the 3rd years faced, and their inability to bring themselves to meet them, is what led to their complete and utter failure. Riko herself experienced a similar problem, and it's quite interesting that her failure was at Otonokizaka, the school of Muse, especially since Maki herself often played the piano. So while the expectations placed on her really had nothing to do with school idols, the ghost of Maki (rest in peace) still looms in the horizon.

It's somewhat of a blessing that Aqours went 2nd, for had they gone later on, the same tragedy that befell the 3rd years might have struck them too.

Of course, there's more than just one type of expectation. Two more types of expectations show up - the first is your own expectations of yourself, which is best shown in the disappointment and frustration that both Aqours and Saint Snow face, while the other is the expectations (hopes and well wishes) of others. The kindness of the community - which Aqours considers the highlight of their town - can hurt just as much as harsh words, because their failure makes them feel like they've failed to respond to the kindness shown to them.

And then there's also how people deal with failure, but I've already talked about Chika above and future episodes will probably give me a chance to talk about the 3rd years.

0 to 1

Ha ha ha ha ha get it, that's a reference to the Aqours song, how clever.

But no seriously, I love it, and I love the story leading up to it so much, even if it has the subtlety of a sack of bricks to the face.

Having experienced the new world of school idols, the girls realize that going to the top is far harder than they ever dreamed of. They realize they can't go from 0 (the bottom) to the top (100) right away, so Riko suggests to Chika that they just work on getting to 1 first. Which might seem like such a small step, but going from 0 to 1 matters so much in that you're going from nothing to something. The opposite of none isn't all, the opposite of nothing is something (thanks PHL245: Modern Symbolic Logic). You can multiply 0 by any number and you'll always get 0 back, but 1? 1 can become anything. Reaching 1 means arriving at so many future possibilities and paths before you.

But another - and this is a personal interpretation - thing that holds significance for me is the concept of 0 to 100 with Saint Snow. Just like how 0 symbolizes both the bottom and the exact number of vote that Aqours got, 100 has meaning with Saint Snow because Saint Snow received over 100 votes (12X votes), but even then they failed to reach the top. You don't get to see how much 1st and 2nd places got, but 3rd place had 367 votes. So even on a scale of 0 to 100, there's still something way way way further beyond. And it really hammers in how much of an underdog Aqours are, because even their rivals aren't at the top of their game, like A-RISE was.

And yet a final interpretation is reading 0 as the beginning - in other words going back to your roots. After giving it some thought, Chika goes underwater to see if she could find the same inspiration that Riko found in episode 2, which itself goes back to episode 1, when Riko tried that by herself. Which is what inspires Riko to join Aqours, forming the initial trio. So in a way, after getting 0 votes while floundering around, Aqours had to go back to 0 - to the beginning - by returning to episode 1, before they could take that first step to 1 in the first place. Chika herself notes that she found nothing - 0 - but that's exactly why she has to go forward.

There's a lot of symbolism in 0 and 1, is what I am saying.

Saint Snow

My first impression of Saint Snow was smug, my second impression was also smug, and my third impression was also smug and also why is twintails such a jerk. The last bit explains itself during the episode, which is in connection to what I discussed above with regards to school idols - Saint Snow don't think Aqours are taking the Love Live seriously enough. It's like going to a prestigious competition, only to find out that one of your competition is acting like they're on a field trip or whatever. You might feel like they're sorta cheapening your efforts by taking it so easy when you've worked so hard to get where you are. While Aqours are trying to deal with their disappointment at having failed, Ria? Leah? is dealing with the frustration of not having succeeded, and her tears flow more freely than Aqours.

Like noted above, they're the rivals yet even they're not at the top, which lies in stark contrast to the rivalry between A-RISE (the top) and Muse (promising up and comers acknowledge by the top). And even then then, A-RISE and Muse didn't really feel like properly rivals, having barely interacted during the series, and pretty much working together during the movie. So it's nice that we actually get a group who feel like actual rivals. Another thing is that A-RISE were fully aware of Muse when they met, and A-RISE were already Love Live winning school idols by the start of the series. This time, the girls have no idea who Saint Snow are, and while Saint Snow are aware of Aqours, it's only cause they watched their PVs. Which also sorta hammers in how unprepared Aqours were, because they knew nothing about their competition - because they weren't really thinking of the entire event as a competition.

Not having Saint Snow being at the top is neat, because that means - hopefully - that we can see Saint Snow grow alongside Aqours, to develop into fully fledged rivals.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay I can watch episode 9 now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
OH poo poo IT'S A FLASHBACK.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That marker falling down is symbolic of something.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You gotta really feel for Mari here, given that Dia and Kanan were the ones who convinced her to become a school idol in the first place.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That look of worry....

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Practice versus promotion, the eternal debate.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Debate over.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yoshiko-style photobombing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010