Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mulva posted:

Nah I feel like if you literally send a baby to hell to gently caress over some people you are obsessed with you can be written off for all eternity and you will never ever redeem yourself ever.

But that worked out in the end too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Look, it's fine. All we have to do is elect Grey Squirrel as his VP and she'll keep him in line.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sentinel Red posted:

He's saved more lives than he's taken, it evens out in his favour. Besides, are you saying criminals can never be redeemed, that they must be shunned and ostracised forever more no matter how much they realise their past actions were wrong, or genuine their desire to make amends for their misdeeds? That'd be pretty mental.

I just think it should be part of the conversation, man.

But seriously, when did Valeria getting turned into leather armor get undone?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Doom cried over 9/11, that will get him votes on its own.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Victor Von Doom 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pubic works project posted:

Victor Von Doom 2020

I support his Richards-killing policy. Also, his plan for healthcare reform is both fiscally sound and meets the social need.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I wanna see the final showdown between Reed and Doom from the end of Secret Wars redone with Bernie and Trump.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just think it should be part of the conversation, man.

But seriously, when did Valeria getting turned into leather armor get undone?

When did this even happen to begin with? I must be behind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

When did this even happen to begin with? I must be behind.

Like 15 years ago.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Valeria his girlfriend, not the baby. He did not skin a baby and wear her. Just his high school sweetheart

Edit: in the Waid/Wieringo run for anyone not in the loop.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's part of Waid's run, iirc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wait didn't doom get to name her Valeria since he delivered her

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where did skin-armor-Valeria show up that people are questioning her return?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have no idea, I brought it up and someone said it had been fixed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Where did skin-armor-Valeria show up that people are questioning her return?

"Doom, I had the weirdest nightmare! Thank goodness it was just a dream!"
"Woof!"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...it's been like a whole page of no one knowing. Can we go ahead and assume Valeria's still skinned and dead and chilling wherever skinned dead people are and it's just never been undone?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seems that way.

Victor is such a good person.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Doom for prez in 2099.

He will skin your ex girlfriend and send her soul to hell because Mark Waid is old and doesn't understand Doom could be more than a cartoon villain with a hate boner for Richards.

Thank God for Jonathan Hickman. Please give him control over DC and Marvel at the same time and let him lead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

Doom for prez in 2099.

He will skin your ex girlfriend and send her soul to hell because Mark Waid is old and doesn't understand Doom could be more than a cartoon villain with a hate boner for Richards.

Thank God for Jonathan Hickman. Please give him control over DC and Marvel at the same time and let him lead.

Mark Waid wrote those issues when he was 39.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Ooooooooold geeeeeeezzzeerrrrr. Purist or traditionalist or something. At least not like Byrne.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Yes, we're old.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

Ooooooooold geeeeeeezzzeerrrrr. Purist or traditionalist or something. At least not like Byrne.

Waid wasn't an FF fan when he started on the comic - it was Wieringo was a huge FF fan and Waid was keen to collaborate with him again. I believe Waid read the Lee/Kirby issues and that was it for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Waid wasn't an FF fan when he started on the comic - it was Wieringo was a huge FF fan and Waid was keen to collaborate with him again. I believe Waid read the Lee/Kirby issues and that was it for him.

Hickman also said he wasn't a big FF fan at the start.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Damnit let me just live in my ignorance! I really didn't like what he did with Doom there at that time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doom can be any number of things. That's one of his strengths as a character: he's almost infinitely adaptable. He is possibly the most adaptable major supervillain there's ever been in the cape comics.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Doom can be any number of things. That's one of his strengths as a character: he's almost infinitely adaptable. He is possibly the most adaptable major supervillain there's ever been in the cape comics.
Yeah, despite the entirety of his other output right now, Bendis is actually writing a pretty good Doom:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I like infamous iron man a lot so far. still early days and all but it's a strong start

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I did think it was particularly doom to rewrite the ending to secret wars to completely ignore everything that actually happened. It wasnt that half of battleworld rose up against him, or that he was betrayed by those closest to him because he was a such a complete poo poo, or that he lost to richards yet again, it was that he was not one with the universe

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
My favorite Doom story is the time he went on a date with Storm.

It was going pretty great until he turned her into a statue of living chrome.

Storm really didn't like being a statue.

She was pretty ticked off when she got free.

But then she had to clear up the hurricane whe made when she was going crazy. The effort was as tremendous as the holocaust itself.

Then Arcade calls her a bimbo, Doom gives her some smooth talk, and its all good.

This is from Uncanny X-Men 145-147. It was published in 1981, and it's made of pure Claremontium. In the next issue, Cyclops stumbles across the sunken city of Ry'leh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's Octopusheim and Cyclops and Lee Forrester get snazzy costumes from Magneto.

I really hope the next X-men books follow the way Claremont wrote books, lots of smaller stuff that leads to a big thing, and then issues that are smaller character stories interspaced.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder if it is possible for mainstream comics to tell stories like that anymore. Re-reading a lot of that stuff recently, those comics were so much more dense and you could cover ground that would take three issues these days.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Doom and Storm seem like it'd be fun. Both are regal and it'd be so Doom to want to tame a Goddess. Let Namor stick to married women.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gatts posted:

Doom and Storm seem like it'd be fun. Both are regal and it'd be so Doom to want to tame a Goddess. Let Namor stick to married women.

Namor and Storm were together in Age of X

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

I did think it was particularly doom to rewrite the ending to secret wars to completely ignore everything that actually happened. It wasnt that half of battleworld rose up against him, or that he was betrayed by those closest to him because he was a such a complete poo poo, or that he lost to richards yet again, it was that he was not one with the universe

It's not even just that he lost to Reed, it's that he had to admit, just for one moment, that Reed really is smarter than him.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

twistedmentat posted:

In the Wood series
I think you mean Brian Reed, not Wood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I really hope the next X-men books follow the way Claremont wrote books, lots of smaller stuff that leads to a big thing, and then issues that are smaller character stories interspaced.

Sure, that was what Morrison was explicitly aiming for with New X-Men - the Claremont/Byrne thing where they did a bunch of two-to-four issue stories within a bigger story arc. Days of Future Past? I think that's two issues. I think the longest single storyline they did together was Dark Phoenix, which is only six issues by itself, but it's built to pretty much from before Byrne joined the comic.

They did the "world tour" one which introduces Mariko and Alpha Flight but that's more of a series of stories than a big story in itself.

Anyway, my favourite Doctor Doom story is the Lee/Kirby one where he steals the Silver Surfer's powers, because that's the definitive Doom story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gatts posted:

Doom for prez in 2099.

Yeah, except the complete opposite.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

BrianWilly posted:

...it's been like a whole page of no one knowing. Can we go ahead and assume Valeria's still skinned and dead and chilling wherever skinned dead people are and it's just never been undone?

I'd still vote for Doom over Trump in 2020.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Doom cried over 9/11, that will get him votes on its own.

Trump would insult the way he drinks bottled water and when Doom mentions how big of influence his mom was be told she should have ran. After losing Doom spend the reminder of his life hiding in the woods while being reminded constantly and correctly, Reed Would Have Won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NutritiousSnack posted:

After losing Doom spend the reminder of his life hiding in the woods while being reminded constantly and correctly, Reed Would Have Won.

Reed "I Saved the Life of Galactus" Richards?

• Locked thread