Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

e: nm misread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ImpAtom posted:

Emma Stone is a natural redhead. Kirsten Dunst is a blond.

Nope, both blondes.

That said, if I was casting a Spider-Man movie (an adaptation of Newspaper Spider-Man naturally) Emma Stone would be my first choice for MJ.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They didn't retcon out Uncle Ben (autocorrect changed it to Uncle Been, like past tense, which is pretty funny) did they? They just didn't retread his original in detail so it got glossed over in the apartment scene.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

howe_sam posted:

Nope, both blondes.

That said, if I was casting a Spider-Man movie (an adaptation of Newspaper Spider-Man naturally) Emma Stone would be my first choice for MJ.

But Bryce Dallas Howard is a natural red head.

I do agree with you that Emma Stone is perfect and should be in more superhero movies.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It might be Pollyanna but I refuse to believe Porcupine is dead at this point in Spider-Woman. He just disappeared after the hobgoblin bomb went off, no gibs or anything!

I also respect the fact that Peter David has been able to keep a longterm story going throughout his entire new Spider-Man 2099 run, dodging and weaving through big crossovers like Spider-Verse and Civil War II, but I'm starting to lose the thread of the plot. Somehow everything from the initial robot scientist guy to the Sinister Six of the future to Elektra are all tied into "The Fist" but he just keeps adding new elements to the conspiracy without ever explaining/revealing anything substantial about them. Maybe it will read better in one sitting after the run is finished, but month-to-month it's hard to remember all the little details. At least Tempest is out of her coma now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

Technically (although this was a change made for the movie) Blade is British.
Or if he was filling out the census form White/Black British.

The original question was just asking if Black Panther was the first non-white Marvel hero to get their own film.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm not thrilled with the Poser-traced art in 2099. I know it makes it easier to crank out an issue, but drat it looks stiff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

The original question was just asking if Black Panther was the first non-white Marvel hero to get their own film.

People don't like to be wrong about poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Black Panther was the first MCU black superhero to get his own movie, but Luke Cage has a hit Netflix show now, and was in Jessica Jones pre-Panther.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tato posted:

It might be Pollyanna but I refuse to believe Porcupine is dead at this point in Spider-Woman. He just disappeared after the hobgoblin bomb went off, no gibs or anything!

They hit all the beats, though. Introducing the tension with his ex-wife (which is probably his feelings for Jessica, compounded by how much the kid likes her, classic 'what if my daughter likes her step-mom more than me'), the day in the spotlight issues, the big reveal of romantic feelings...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm holding out hope, because nothing gets me quite like blue collar villains going straight. RIP Constrictor.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ImpAtom posted:

Some people are losing their mind but others are like "they never said she's MJ! She's not MJ!"

The cast page has Peter's love interest listed as Liz Allen. Who is Hispanic in The Spectacular Spider-Man Man cartoon.

Edit: I suddenly realized that they're mashing Miles story with Spectacular Spider-Man because the first villain Peter fights in that is the Vulture.

Edit 2: Liz Allen was also Peter's girlfriend in SSM.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 16, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

OhFunny posted:

The cast page has Peter's love interest listed as Liz Allen. Who is Hispanic in The Spectacular Spider-Man Man cartoon.

Edit: I suddenly realized that they're mashing Miles story with Spectacular Spider-Man because the first villain Peter fights in that is the Vulture.

I remember Liz from the Mary Jane comics

quote:

Liz Allan was one of Peter Parker's classmates at Midtown High School. She dated Flash Thompson off and on when in high school, but developed a crush on Peter Parker after he "impersonated" Spider-Man to fight Doctor Octopus. Liz competed with Betty Brant for Peter's affections, often flirting with him, much to Flash's disgust. Although Peter didn't reciprocate her advances, they remained friends and he even tutored her in science. Upon graduating, Liz decided it was time to act more mature, so she left her old group of friends, who perceived her as ditzy.

Oh wow that is.... a deep call back.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Mary Jane comics were SO GOOD. Liz Allen will shank you.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Mary Jane comics were SO GOOD. Liz Allen will shank you.

They were incredibly books and much like Marvel Adventures I had a tonne of fun reading them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

An out-of-the-blue question: does anyone picture Peter's face when they see Spider-Man? Whenever I see Peter doing Spider-Man stuff in his regular clothes, or if he's fighting without his mask for some reason, it's always shocking to see how they draw it, especially if his expression is that of anger or crying out. It looks wrong. Made me realize that I never think about Peter's face being behind the mask. Spider-Man's mask is Spider-Man's face to me. Saying that out loud (or typing it, w/e) makes it sound like maybe the biggest "yeah, no poo poo Lobok" statement but I just never articulated it to myself before.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's interesting that Spider-Man is one of very few mainstream/popular heroes who actually wears a full face mask and also has a civilian identity which we see him unmasked in frequently.

Almost every other mainstream masked hero just wears a little flourish of a mask that still lets you basically see their face and is mostly more like costuming than alternate persona. In the cases where they did have that separation in their classic incarnations, it's been worn down over the years, as with Tony Stark and Iron Man - Iron Man really was more of an alter-ego at one point, whereas now it's just what Tony Stark calls himself when he climbs into one of his robo suits.

Kinda cool that Spider-Man has maintained that. I agree, there definitely is a separation between how you think of their "faces", and it's part of why the secret identity/balancing superheroics with life and work thing still works so well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OhFunny posted:

You see Liz in the trailer, him and Ned are ogling her in the cafeteria. It then cuts to the character that is obviously MJ calling them out for it.

E: She looks kind of out of it and nerdy, so my guess is that Liz is doing to shoot him down when he asks her to the homecoming dance, leading to him and MJ going together, and when he sees her we get a version of the "face it, tiger" scene where she's all dressed up and looks hot.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 17, 2016

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I checked out the first three issues of Prowler. I don't think I read a less essential comic series in all of 2016. You'd think everyone would know going in that the Prowler is a D-list character with no real fanbase (despite being Peter's double in the current ASM series), so any series starring him would have to do something fresh, interesting, or strange to catch on. It's none of those things. It's just generic action and Hobie having internal debates about his bad position as a resurrected dude working for the Jackal. There's not a single thing in any issue that isn't included in The Clone Conspiracy or ASM, and it seems a good bet if you're the type to buy a Prowler book you've already reading those. It's a totally superfluous book. I mean, it was likely destined to be cancelled in 6 issues anyway no matter how good it was due to the direct market and the character, but at least some of those short lived books swing for the fences. This one didn't even show up for the game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
You obviously didn't read solo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it was doomed from the start with it being a book about a D-List character that's starting out with event tie-in issues.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

No, I couldn't even make it through mercs for money, let alone solo. But I imagine it at least has a plot and premise instead of "I'll fart around doing nothing for 3 issues as this is part of a crossover but I'm not allowed to do anything new or interesting because no one will buy this spinoff"

I agree that starting a book off as part of a crossover is not a good move, especially when a character is C-D tier. Spider-Woman did the same thing with Spider Verse and didn't improve until it relaunched with an actual premise.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Tato posted:

I agree that starting a book off as part of a crossover is not a good move, especially when a character is C-D tier. Spider-Woman did the same thing with Spider Verse and didn't improve until it relaunched with an actual premise.
I mean, are you calling the fifth issue of the 2015 series (where they ditched Land and the old costume for Javier Rodriguez and the new costume) a relaunch or do you mean the new #1 after Secret Wars? Because if you like the current series, you should totally go back and read #5-10 of the 2015 series by the same team that sets up all of the stuff with Ben Urich and Porcupine and is also really good.

Though this is more an illustration of how renumbering mid-run is dumb, it's easy to forget that the revamp/"relaunch" happened several months before the arbitrary-in-retrospect renumbering/"relaunch".

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lobok posted:

An out-of-the-blue question: does anyone picture Peter's face when they see Spider-Man? Whenever I see Peter doing Spider-Man stuff in his regular clothes, or if he's fighting without his mask for some reason, it's always shocking to see how they draw it, especially if his expression is that of anger or crying out. It looks wrong. Made me realize that I never think about Peter's face being behind the mask. Spider-Man's mask is Spider-Man's face to me. Saying that out loud (or typing it, w/e) makes it sound like maybe the biggest "yeah, no poo poo Lobok" statement but I just never articulated it to myself before.

In the 90's when I was reading more Spiderman comics if not for x-treme battle damage leaving his mask in partial tatters, there were quite a few cut ins like with spidersense that would show half face-half mask, so I kinda can see him as Pete too, but I get what you mean, there are a lot of heroes where even in costume/out it would be pretty hard not to recognize it as the same person, but with Spiderman it's always been a bit more of a contrast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Venom with Eddie Brock's face looks really stupid.

Reaaaally stupid.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Venom with Eddie Brock's face looks really stupid.

Reaaaally stupid.

I always liked when his mouth would open up and his face would be in the mouth.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

I always liked when his mouth would open up and his face would be in the mouth.

I'm the opposite. Brock Venom is supposed to be the symbiote being inextricably bonded. I prefer that the face/head you see is the only one.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I like the symbiote being able to peel away from parts of Brock to show the man underneath, I think that actually makes him a bit more menacing because a) he can blend and enter places inconspicuously in a pinch, and b) it contrasts the horrible symbiote nightmare creature with the human body hosting it, which is scarier than otherwise. Like, Venom's more upsetting when you remember that there's a guy under there who loves being foreverially smothered in alien black goo, 100% symbiotised and loving it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I grew up in the 90s and the black suit was like the coolest thing ever. More so than whatever dumb ol' Wolverine was doing anyway

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

I like the symbiote being able to peel away from parts of Brock to show the man underneath

To be clear, I don't dislike this. It's just that when the symbiote is covering his head, that should be the only head. Same as The Mask. It's not a covering that talks and animates separately and over top of Brock's face. They're one and the same.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

hiddenriverninja posted:

I grew up in the 90s and the black suit was like the coolest thing ever. More so than whatever dumb ol' Wolverine was doing anyway

My formative years for Marvel were like 1990-1991 and there were toys for Venom, and Wolverine was still in his tan costume. It wasn't until we got Agent Venom and X-Force stealth Wolverine that we approached that awesomeness again.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lobok posted:

To be clear, I don't dislike this. It's just that when the symbiote is covering his head, that should be the only head. Same as The Mask. It's not a covering that talks and animates separately and over top of Brock's face. They're one and the same.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, that makes sense and is completely understandable, I sort of agree although I'm pretty cool with it being portrayed either way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

I always imagine the Brock head in the mouth isn't actually Brock's head, but an approximation made by the symbiote.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

there were quite a few cut ins like with spidersense that would show half face-half mask

For me, that shot of half Peter's face/half Spider-Man mask is one of the iconic visuals of the character.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, are you calling the fifth issue of the 2015 series (where they ditched Land and the old costume for Javier Rodriguez and the new costume) a relaunch or do you mean the new #1 after Secret Wars? Because if you like the current series, you should totally go back and read #5-10 of the 2015 series by the same team that sets up all of the stuff with Ben Urich and Porcupine and is also really good.

Yep, I did this after checking out the latest volume and hearing from people that the previous volume turned good at issue five. But that's only because I took a chance on the latest volume and also read a lot of opinions on-line about the book, otherwise I would have been turned off by those awful tie-in Greg Land issues forever. I feel like Spider-Man 2099 would have been in the same boat except it got a few issues to at least establish itself before the Spider-Verse crossover and also found a way to organically tie it into a visit to the future. Spider-Woman #1 just straight plopped you into her inside the inheritors lair with no set-up or anything.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'd argue that launching Spider Woman with a tie in to a major event stemming from one of Marvel's best selling books is a good idea. It gets more eyeballs on the book, and hopefully they stick around for the new artist and costume like I did.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'd argue that launching Spider Woman with a tie in to a major event stemming from one of Marvel's best selling books is a good idea. It gets more eyeballs on the book, and hopefully they stick around for the new artist and costume like I did.

On the other hand, you get people ditching it because it no longer matters to ASM or stopped having the 'sexy' costume/art.

I actually think if that tie-in had been a mini-series, with someone else on art, it'd be much better received, as the writing is about the same, with Jessica flying by the seat of her pants when she's on her own, but trying to appear like she's queen badass of the world and cool aunt all rolled into one when Cindy and Gwen show up. Plus it has an evil Jessica as a pirate captain.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure I've ever read those issues of spider-woman, I think they announced the new suit and direction even before the series launched and I just waited for that to start reading.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is on Netflix and I checked out an episode. That is one rough cartoon. I don't know what I was expecting but the animation was terrible. The show skewed much younger than I thought, too.

Oh, and "Spider-Friends Go For It!" can't hold a candle to "Wallopin' Websnappers!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

On the other hand, you get people ditching it because it no longer matters to ASM or stopped having the 'sexy' costume/art.

I actually think if that tie-in had been a mini-series, with someone else on art, it'd be much better received, as the writing is about the same, with Jessica flying by the seat of her pants when she's on her own, but trying to appear like she's queen badass of the world and cool aunt all rolled into one when Cindy and Gwen show up. Plus it has an evil Jessica as a pirate captain.

They weren't worried about how the tie in would be received. They wanted the tie in people to hopefully stick around for the ongoing book. They wanted to leech as much heat from Spider Verse to sustain a book about Spider Woman teaming up with the Porcupine.

What a great new costume. Hilarious that Greg Land was the one to put the classic to bed.

• Locked thread