Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Disney Fanclub posted a short synopsis for Thor: Ragnarok. It looks like Doctor Strange will have a fairly significant role in the movie.

This is the first thing I've heard about Thor 3 that makes me wary about it. I wasn't super thrilled with Dr. Strange and the character himself was definitely not one of the highlights for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even in the comics Thor has usually needed other heroes to keep things interesting, whether it's his Asgardian buds, Beta Ray Bill, or the other Avengers. Since they don't seem too enthusiastic about, or capable of, building up the first two that leaves the MCU crew. Especially if Jane Foster, Selvig, and Kat Dennings' character aren't returning.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well they have all the actors to multifilm contracts they may as well use them.

Plus Dr. Strange and Thor are a good match.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Lobok posted:

Yep, Winter Soldier and a resurrected Bucky were entirely Brubaker's incredibly ballsy ideas. The MCU takes a lot from relatively modern comic book stories.

Until then Bucky was famous as the venerable exception to the "no one in comics stays dead" rule.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
If anything the best/most interesting part about Thor 3 won't even be Thor or Doctor Strange, but Loki, Jeff Goldblum, Hela and Karl Urban.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
All I want from these loving Thor movies is for Tadanobu Asano to have more than three lines. Dude is an amazing actor, what's the point of casting him if you're not gonna have him do anything?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/larryfong/status/815696728837918720

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is Hogun laconic in the comics? He looks like that kinda guy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Hogun laconic in the comics? He looks like that kinda guy

Not just laconic, taciturn even. It's great casting, Asano owns in that sort of role.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hodgepodge posted:

Until then Bucky was famous as the venerable exception to the "no one in comics stays dead" rule.

Isn't Uncle Ben the only person used as a Stays Dead example to still be dead?

I remember hearing Gwen Stacy, Jason Todd and Bucky thrown around as examples.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LesterGroans posted:

Gwen Stacy is still dead, Spider Gwen and Gwen Pool are Gwen Stacies from alternate universes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who the hell is Thor in these movies, anyway?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sir Potato posted:

If anything the best/most interesting part about Thor 3 won't even be Thor or Doctor Strange, but Loki, Jeff Goldblum, Hela and Karl Urban.

The most interesting thing about Thor 3 is that Taika Waititi is directing it, and I have incredibly high hopes because of that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sir Potato posted:

That and Sam Neill is showing up too, and from what has been said Anthony Hopkin's looks like he won't sleep walk in this movie at least.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LesterGroans posted:

I think the return of Gwen Stacy from the dead was flashbacks or something that retconned in Norman Osborn fathering two babies with her or something. While technically not alive again, it was a total violation of the spirit of [short list of characters] that are the exception that prove the rule that nobody stays dead in comics.

Uncle Ben is indeed the lone remaining member of the longstanding list that once included Jason Todd and Bucky.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

I think the return of Gwen Stacy from the dead was flashbacks or something that retconned in Norman Osborn fathering two babies with her or something. While technically not alive again, it was a total violation of the spirit of [short list of characters] that are the exception that prove the rule that nobody stays dead in comics.

Uncle Ben is indeed the lone remaining member of the longstanding list that once included Jason Todd and Bucky.

They have done dumb retcons to the Gwen Stacy Character, they cloned Gwen Stacy, they brought in multiple Gwen Stacies from alternate universe. But the Gwen Stacy who died on the bridge still died on that bridge, and has stayed dead ever since.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Halloween Jack posted:

Who the hell is Thor in these movies, anyway?

Thor is pretty good at getting the much coveted mom demographic.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They have done dumb retcons to the Gwen Stacy Character, they cloned Gwen Stacy, they brought in multiple Gwen Stacies from alternate universe. But the Gwen Stacy who died on the bridge still died on that bridge, and has stayed dead ever since.

This is a distinction without a difference, though this probably isn't the thread for that.

Uncle Ben and Thomas/Martha Wayne are the holdouts, and they're not really characters. AJ Lieberman's Gotham Knights run about a decade or so back heavily teased that they'd reveal the villain Hush to be the resurrected and angry Thomas Wayne, but didn't go through with it (instead, there were some Clayface shenanigans, and then Joker outfitted Hush with a pacemaker with a remote controlled explosive, and the run ended with Batman abandoning Hush to his fate on a "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you" note).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

achillesforever6 posted:

That and Sam Neill is showing up too, and from what has been said Anthony Hopkin's looks like he won't sleep walk in this movie at least.

Hopkins won't but his character will :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing about Bucky and Jason Todd is that they were heroes themselves. It's a big deal that they came back but in coming back you would expect they could do stuff and get in on the action, evil or not. There's some excitement there. Not as many cool panels you can wring out of Uncle Ben: Formerly Deceased Retiree.

Having said that, I would be down for a What If...? featuring the most hilariously boring non-adventures of Uncle Ben's new life.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 3, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anthony Hopkins sure is in a lot of popular things this past couple of years. Not just Thor 3, but Transformers 5 and Westworld too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lobok posted:

Having said that, I would be down for a What If...? featuring the most hilariously boring non-adventures of Uncle Ben's new life.

This isn't quite that, but maybe it's close enough.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They've covered pretty much every other alternative version of Spidey's origin as well:

Spoiler: either someone else dies which has the same effect on Peter or he eventually realises that With Great Powers Come Great Responsibility and becomes a superhero anyway

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lobok posted:

The thing about Bucky and Jason Todd is that they were heroes themselves. It's a big deal that they came back but in coming back you would expect they could do stuff and get in on the action, evil or not. There's some excitement there. Not as many cool panels you can wring out of Uncle Ben: Formerly Deceased Retiree.

Well, a Ben Parker who got bitten and became Spiderman recently showed up and the current mega story running in the Spiderman books has the Jackal offering to resurrect Ben with no strings attached. So yeah.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did they ever do What If Aunt May died instead of Uncle Ben?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Did they ever do What If Aunt May died instead of Uncle Ben?

Of course they did

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Well?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Of course they did

did uncle ben kill aunt may because it looks like he's getting arrested there

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brother Entropy posted:

Nah, Spider-Man accidentally causes the death of the burglar who killed Aunt May and Uncle Ben takes the rap to keep Peter out of jail. Without their influence Peter ends up on hard times and quits being Spider-Man and falls in with the wrong crowd but TWIST ENDING he eventually realises that With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility and becomes a hero.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I dunno. Ben may be the type to take justice in his own hands for May's killer and end up teaching Peter something completely different.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

Nah, Peter goes after the burglar and just like in the first Raimi movie, the burglar falls out a window after being spooked by Peter. Ben arrives and calms Peter down but while they talk the police arrives and Ben confesses the "murder" to let Peter escape.

Without Ben, Peter never becomes a hero and continues to be Spiderman for profit. After a bunch of weird coincidences, a trip to the Juvie center and putting the Green Goblin in a coma; Peter finally tries to break Ben out from prison and there is when the "With Great Power" speech finally comes up. Peter decides to stop being Spiderman until Ben is released. Once they are together again, Ben scans the emergency frequencies to tell Peter where Spiderman is needed.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Jesus Christ, that's so loving stupid.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
hey uncle ben ur son is a spider man he can probably avoid cops

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Basically however much you change around Spider-Man's origin he always becomes goodguy Spider-Man anyway because Marvel can't/won't have it any other way, even in a completely hypothetical "What If" story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Or if he's in somebody else's What If? story, he just dies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Or if he's in somebody else's What If? story, he just dies.

I would love a What If? book which is just a series of single-page montages of different possible ways Uncle Ben could have died done by different artists.

What if comic books were good?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gatts posted:

I dunno. Ben may be the type to take justice in his own hands for May's killer and end up teaching Peter something completely different.

I could read an issue or two of Uncle Ben's Death Wish.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Basically however much you change around Spider-Man's origin he always becomes goodguy Spider-Man anyway because Marvel can't/won't have it any other way, even in a completely hypothetical "What If" story.

Which is incredibly dumb, imo, since part of what appeals to me about Spidey's origin is that it scans like a supervillain origin right up until Ben dies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Without Aunt May Peter Parker starts getting into Mencius Moldbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Which is incredibly dumb, imo, since part of what appeals to me about Spidey's origin is that it scans like a supervillain origin right up until Ben dies.

A cynic might assume that certain comicbook companies are more interested in serving up reheated by-the-numbers nostalgia fodder rather than telling interesting and original stories ...

• Locked thread