Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what will happen in the winter transfer window
joey barton will do a thing
big sam will do a thing
arsenal fans will meltdown
manchester united fans will meltdown
both sets of fans will melt down
gay for pay 3rd party ownership
Tons of Liverpool fanfiction
View Results

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

RideTheSpiral posted:

you've scored exactly 0 goals this season

We've also had Jordan Rhodes sat on the bench. Who is a better player than gestede

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

We've also had Jordan Rhodes sat on the bench. Who is a better player than gestede

Also probably better than Negredo and Ramirez but you keep trotting those wastemen out every week.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Negredo looked really promising at the start of the season, what happened to him? He played well enough at Old Trafford as well considering how starved of service he was, the knock down for Boro's goal was excellent I thought.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Atalanta's Roberto Gagliardini is having his medical with Inter tomorrow, €20m to €27m is the fee being reported. He's good, young, and Italian, but Inter already have a deep midfield group, I figure they must be selling somebody.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Can wait until these "big money" Chinese club fail to pay the ridiculous promised wages to the bunch of idiots who are signing contracts to go rot there.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Simone Poodoin posted:

Can wait until these "big money" Chinese club fail to pay the ridiculous promised wages to the bunch of idiots who are signing contracts to go rot there.

It's such an obvious, blatant bubble. It's like Anzhi Makhachkala, but an entire league instead of a single club.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
rhodes found his level as a mid table championship player

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Frankston posted:

lol boro have always loved buying Villa players. How's Traore working out?

he's terrible but also insanely sick

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Ninpo posted:

Negredo looked really promising at the start of the season, what happened to him? He played well enough at Old Trafford as well considering how starved of service he was, the knock down for Boro's goal was excellent I thought.

it's hard to score with no chances.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Simone Poodoin posted:

trem_two posted:

It's such an obvious, blatant bubble. It's like Anzhi Makhachkala, but an entire league instead of a single club.

Doumbia was supposed to go to one of the teams but this morning the papers reported that he refused to leave Basel and Roma will continue to be stuck with his wages until at least June.

I wonder which side of this the Chinese government is on. I've read some things that say it's private businesses trying to hide or otherwise block their money from the government (Milan's totally real buyers) or that it's the government themselves propping these things up with pubic money (The recent Tevez deal, whatever team it is that Cannavaro is involved with).

Does anyone in here watch the Asian CL? I wonder if these teams are actually any good, even if just in the frame of their continental opponents. Like, are they as good as the top Japanese or Korean teams?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

pubic money

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gigi Galli posted:

Does anyone in here watch the Asian CL? I wonder if these teams are actually any good, even if just in the frame of their continental opponents. Like, are they as good as the top Japanese or Korean teams?

I did some light googling and Guangzhou evergrande have won it two of the last four years, so I guess they're doing well.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
the A League thread crew would probably know

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Sander Berge from Vålerenga to Genk is now a done deal. The fee is between 2,5m and 3m euros (http://www.vif-fotball.no/nyheter/sander-berge-klar-for-belgisk-fotball).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lol nice

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
south korean teams are the strongest in the AFC probably followed by an even split between china and japan

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

and then saudis/uae/qatar. but all teams in those leagues do is bomb forward with little defense

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

fat greasy puto posted:

south korean teams are the strongest in the AFC probably followed by an even split between china and japan

I watched FC Seoul once in person and they were pretty good. They had a Serbian guy who was owning everyone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gigi Galli posted:

A Chinese club was managed to the title in 2013 by Lippi, and the same club again in 2015 by Scolari, but they were essentially irrelevant makeweights after the Japanese, Korean, and Saudi teams until then.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

fat greasy puto posted:

and then saudis/uae/qatar. but all teams in those leagues do is bomb forward with little defense

Luckily they have an American defence to sweep in and keep them covered haha

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

A Chinese club was managed to the title in 2013 by Lippi, and the same club again in 2015 by Scolari, but they were essentially irrelevant makeweights after the Japanese, Korean, and Saudi teams until then.

blue footed boobie posted:

I did some light googling and Guangzhou evergrande have won it two of the last four years, so I guess they're doing well.

So all this money is actually doing something then.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

trem_two posted:

It's such an obvious, blatant bubble. It's like Anzhi Makhachkala and Dinamo Moscow, but an entire league instead of a single club two clubs.

There, now it's accurate

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Gigi Galli posted:

I watched FC Seoul once in person and they were pretty good. They had a Serbian guy who was owning everyone.

jeonbuk and fc seoul are both cool and good

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Guangzhou Evergrande is 60% owned by China's 2nd largest property developer, and 40% owned by Alibaba, so there is at least in theory real money there.

Can't say as much for every club though, what with them winning the last 6 titles in a row.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 2, 2017

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Can't wait for the Chinese SuperLiga to start

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
That Tianjing club seems to have only been promoted to the Chinese Super League this year
They are definitely legit and will absolutely pay Witsel those insane money that they promised :allears:
That said, as long as Zenit gets the transfer fee, I'm cool with it, Witsel was never good enough for Juventus anyway

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Guangzhou Evergrande seems to have won the Chinese league every year since they won the Chinese second division and earned promotion, after having been relegated for match fixing :allears:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Guangzhou Evergrande seems to have won the Chinese league every year since they won the Chinese second division and earned promotion, after having been relegated for match fixing :allears:

Obviously they've learned their lesson and have learned to win the honest w- lol

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

NTRabbit posted:

Do other fans shout guangzhou merda at them?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Gigi Galli posted:

So all this money is actually doing something then.

The Chinese teams are theoretically good and tend to do well in the ACL, but even then the 'big' clubs like Evergrande have been beaten comfortably a few times by Australian teams. I watched Victory pick them apart in 2014 and I've never seen a player as disinterested as Asamoah Gyan lol. Their performances rely heavily on how well the foreign players perform, because all Chinese players are absolute trash, but in Asia if you have a couple of actual good players they can normally carry you through most matches.

The money is as real as money in China ever is though, they're backed by big Chinese corporations as a kinda national vanity project.

Mang is right in that it's Korea, Japan / China, and then the top West Asian teams. Australian teams in a good year are probably on par with the West Asians, but never do well in the ACL for a huge variety of reasons.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

I don't watch it that often since the AFC is incompetent at distributing rights and advertising, so it doesn't actually air or get advertised in Australia (or, I think, Japan). But from the few online streams I've seen it's like... compared to A-League sides, it's like... good Chinese sides have three really good foreign players, usually one huge Australian centre-back, and then just complete dross and no plan besides 'pass it to those three players'.

A lot of Australians go there because the level is a lot lower than the money on offer, and since there's a 3+1 foreigner rule (the +1 being 'an Asian player) in the ACL and CSL, they often just get whatever above-average A-League defender they can find. Annoyingly they occasionally pluck Australian players from decent European competitions, so we have like 5-6 regular internationals playing there. Whenever interviewed they seem to agree that the league is a terrible, unprofessional farce but some of the individuals on offer are just leagues above, doing whatever the hell they want. But for all the big-name foreign coaches, tactically the level is abject, and though the Evergrandes/etc average out to being decent the worst teams are utter garbage.

tl;dr - they have a few teams that are decent, the individuals they can attract are enough to uplift their best teams into relative powerhouses, but the league as a whole is terrible and the J-/K-Leagues are still universally regarded as the best in the region.

oh i got beaten to the effortpost

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

backed by big Chinese corporations as a kinda national vanity project.

which are controlled by the government. its all a loving PR campaign.

nuke china

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Weaponized Cum posted:

which are controlled by the government. its all a loving PR campaign.

nuke china

I love the Chinese league because it makes Americans insanely butthurt

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Marseille is out to re-sign Dimitri Payet. It's bound to fail but the attempt should nonetheless be very amusing

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Do other fans shout guangzhou merda at them?

Yeeeeeeesssssss

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

RideTheSpiral posted:

I love the Chinese league because it makes Americans insanely butthurt

does it?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Alexeythegreat posted:

That Tianjing club seems to have only been promoted to the Chinese Super League this year
They are definitely legit and will absolutely pay Witsel those insane money that they promised :allears:
That said, as long as Zenit gets the transfer fee, I'm cool with it, Witsel was never good enough for Juventus anyway

That's a relief. I was a little tender over him going to China. Guess Hernanes isn't going anywhere.

also I think a lot of the anger towards the Chinese league is them robbing leagues people actually watch of decent players.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Sandwolf posted:

That's a relief. I was a little tender over him going to China. Guess Hernanes isn't going anywhere.

also I think a lot of the anger towards the Chinese league is them robbing leagues people actually watch of decent players.

yeah but who cares. Why shouldn't there be a decent league outside of Europe? It's not going to be perfect immediately

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Speaking of China, Bayer Leverkusen permacrock Robbie Kruse is apparently headed to Lianong Whowin. Kruse was probably good once but he's more recently been shown reminding us all of how important match sharpness is by managing to be a liability against Thailand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bogan Krkic posted:

Australian teams in a good year are probably on par with the West Asians, but never do well in the ACL for a huge variety of reasons.

Apart from the Wanderers, who pulled a Boro in the 05/06 UEFA cup and parked a series of buses and brick walls against all the good sides all the way through to the final, and then unlike boro actually succeeded and won a two legged final 1-0 on aggregate against a Saudi team.

• Locked thread